PDA

View Full Version : Game-Plan: LJ all day--crossing and seam patterns to Gonzo & Eddie

Mr. Kotter
09-15-2006, 03:08 PM
With Huard, it's our best bet (and based on what Herm is saying)....

It's likely to be a lot of double TE sets, and max protect in obvious passing situations.

With deep balls, Kennison and Parker better hold onto the few opportunities they will get. Otherwise, Denver will put 9 in the box pretty quick....

If our Defense can pressure Jake the Fake into a couple of TOs, and if they can stop the run on first down....

If we don't become entirely one-dimensional and predictable--especially on first down...

I really think we can make a game of it against the Donks. That's a managable number of "ifs".....isn't it? :hmmm:

Otherwise, we are likely 0-2 to start. :(

Mr. Kotter
09-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Anyone got Herm's cell number. I think I'll call him.... ;)

ChiefFan31
09-15-2006, 03:17 PM
I like it. Sounds good to me Mr. Kotter.

We need to keep it simple and focus on execution. This team is not void of talent and is capable of winning football games. Yes, I did really need to say that.

Win or Lose, I want to see the Chiefs play disciplined and with heart.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 03:25 PM
3 and out get used to it

AZORChiefFan
09-15-2006, 03:34 PM
3 and out get used to it
especially when Dungvar is on offense.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 03:34 PM
3 and out I fear

AZORChiefFan
09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Maybe some 4 wide receiver sets too. Make em spread out and give LJ some lanes.

ChiefFan31
09-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Maybe some 4 wide receiver sets too. Make em spread out and give LJ some lanes.

True Dat, we need some more seven step drops and nothing but deep patterns. Hell with the short stuff, we need chunks!!

Bill Parcells
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I wish they would have thrown some more screen passes to larry johnson last week..it would have slown down the pass rush..maybe the Chiefs can do it this week..

it seemed like the Chiefs made no adjustments last week..

screens and misdirections is my idea for keeping the broncos off balance..

CupidStunt
09-15-2006, 04:07 PM
It boils down to four things: (1) protect the passer; (2) rush the passer; (3) open holes for Johnson; and (4) plug the holes that Denver creates and stop the Bells.

I think there's a good chance that we win the football game if we are successful in three of the four key areas listed above. Do all four and we're laughing.

Hydrae
09-15-2006, 05:29 PM
True Dat, we need some more seven step drops and nothing but deep patterns. Hell with the short stuff, we need chunks!!

You really do hate Huard don't you?

wazu
09-15-2006, 06:20 PM

I don't hate him, but he was saying all the things I hate this week. "We need to get first downs", "we need to chew the clock and keep our defense off the field".

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

NO YOU DON'T! You need to score POINTS! I don't care if you score a TD on the first play from scrimmage on every drive, and don't get one single first down all day! Score POINTS! It's that simple. That's what takes the pressure off your defense.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Over 99% of the time the team that scores the most points wins

Smed1065
09-15-2006, 06:27 PM
We need to win IMO sloppy or otherwise.

Hydrae
09-15-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't hate him, but he was saying all the things I hate this week. "We need to get first downs", "we need to chew the clock and keep our defense off the field".

NO YOU DON'T! You need to score POINTS! I don't care if you score a TD on the first play from scrimmage on every drive, and don't get one single first down all day! Score POINTS! It's that simple. That's what takes the pressure off your defense.

If Huard is taking 7 step drops all day, he will be visiting Trent's room at the hospital is all I am saying. This is a great way to get him killed.

But then we can see how Croyle looks in a real game! :)

wazu
09-15-2006, 06:31 PM
If Huard is taking 7 step drops all day, he will be visiting Trent's room at the hospital is all I am saying. This is a great way to get him killed.

But then we can see how Croyle looks in a real game! :)

I'm not proposing Huard should take 7 step drops all day. I just never like it when the stated goals of an offense are anything other than scoring touchdowns.

MichaelH
09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
You just know the donkeys are going to blitz on every freaking down to try to get into the backfield. I say to try whatever works. I agree about the WR's. They better find some sticky glue and catch everything within 10 feet of them.

Reaper16
09-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Explain Chiefs defenses the past few years...

wazu
09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Explain Chiefs defenses the past few years...

What, other than they have been horrible, would you like to know?

Calcountry
09-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Oh, I would love to get them into their run protect package, and then all of a sudden, wooops, the tight ends pop out wide, and LJ goes into motion and out for a pass, then hurry up to the line and force them to keep their personell in with no subs. Notice I didn't say snap the ball right away, just no huddle and set to the line quickly, then hold them there for most of the play clock. Occaisionally, we will have to snap it quick to keep them honest. Or we snap it if they try to make a sub.

Its hurry up to run. Doesn't mean we will pass, we will still control the clock, but we will snap it when we are gd good and ready, and hold them bitches at attention for the whole play clock.

That is how I would game plan it.

Reaper16
09-15-2006, 07:08 PM
What, other than they have been horrible, would you like to know?
We scored a whole lot of points, so you'd think the pressure would have been off of them, according to what you posted. They sure didn't play that way, though.

wazu
09-15-2006, 07:15 PM
We scored a whole lot of points, so you'd think the pressure would have been off of them, according to what you posted. They sure didn't play that way, though.

So fewer points would have been better? There comes a point when a defense is so bad that nothing can save it. I don't think our defense this year fits that description, but unfortunately our offense might.

Hog Rider
09-15-2006, 07:21 PM

So if we hadn't scored a lot of points last year we would have been maybe 11-5?

I just don't think the defense sets on the sideline and thinks, "Jeez, I hope them fuggers don't score again!"

Gaz
09-16-2006, 06:58 AM
The Broncos will be stacking the line to stop Johnson and they will blitz someone, possibly every stinkiní snap, to disrupt the backfield and get to Huard.

Johnson is not going to find many holes [particularly with our current OL] until we sting them in the passing game and force them off the line. That is not going to happen if Huard is running for his life, which is a definite possibility [particularly with our current OL].

I like the double TE sets in this game, but we have to THROW to the TEs and not just to Gonzalez. We lack the WRs to be successful with straight drop-back passing behind a max protection set.

Lots of swing and screen passes to Johnson. Forget about the chunks of yardage. Short, quick passes and draws. We are not going to overpower the Broncos DL [particularly with our current OL].

Denver is in the enviable position of facing a backup QB behind a devastated OL with a weak WR corps.

Ouch.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not too optimistic.

Chief Chief
09-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Whatchabetdat Herm, seeing that the Chiefs and Bonkos only scored 10 points each last week, will run-run-run all day long and figure we'll be the ones on top in a really low-scoring affair?

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 08:28 AM

I agree we need to score points. However, a wide-open spread offense (too often) will have us looking at inserting Croyle or Printers into this game because of an injury to Huard.

I don't like Martyball, but if we can make of a game of it....in this case.....I'll take it.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 08:33 AM
So fewer points would have been better? There comes a point when a defense is so bad that nothing can save it. I don't think our defense this year fits that description, but unfortunately our offense might.

A quick strike, spread offense if likely to be one of two things: either 3-and-outs, or even if we do score....Denver's Offense on the field more against our Defense. I don't like either of those scenarios.

I honestly think that short of a rash of turnovers by the Donks, our only chance is to control the clock. We need to dominate TOP to have a decent shot.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 08:40 AM
The Broncos will be stacking the line to stop Johnson and they will blitz someone, possibly every stinkiní snap, to disrupt the backfield and get to Huard.

Johnson is not going to find many holes [particularly with our current OL] until we sting them in the passing game and force them off the line. That is not going to happen if Huard is running for his life, which is a definite possibility [particularly with our current OL].

I like the double TE sets in this game, but we have to THROW to the TEs and not just to Gonzalez. We lack the WRs to be successful with straight drop-back passing behind a max protection set.

Lots of swing and screen passes to Johnson. Forget about the chunks of yardage. Short, quick passes and draws. We are not going to overpower the Broncos DL [particularly with our current OL].

Denver is in the enviable position of facing a backup QB behind a devastated OL with a weak WR corps.

Ouch.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not too optimistic.

I agree they have to throw the ball some, obviously, but in doing so....we better protect Huard, and we better be efficient. Otherwise, we will lose the battle over TOP...and I don't like our odds if Denver has the TOP edge.

If we can sting them early even two or three times in the passing game, there's no way Shanny will keep 8-9 in the box. He's got too much confidence in his front seven--and has every right to.

I think if we do see the loaded box by Denver, you will see the max protect to try to get them out of it.....send Parker and Kennison on double post patterns. It'll take one or two scares for Shanny to back out of that...and open up enough running room for LJ to run, IMHO.

Gaz
09-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I am pretty much of the same mind, Mr. Kotter. We have to make Denver back off the LOS.

Were I the Denver DC, I would have nine players close to the OL and I would send at least [1] of them on nearly every down. I would concentrate on Gonzalez and spend my risk ration on Kennison or Parker, counting on my D getting into the backfield and breaking Huardís timing. Denver has the personnel to accomplish that strategy.

My concern is that we lack the OL & QB to take advantage of the situation. Our OL is in tatters at both right and left Tackle positions. We lost a great blocking FB and our QB is about as inexperienced as a veteran can be. In order for us to force Denver off the LOS with max protect in play, Huard will have to hit Gonzalez, Dunn [Wilson?], Kennison and Parker [and Hall?] quickly and accurately [before the Predominantly Orange tide washes over him].

Denver can play sloppy and still win the game. We do not have that luxury. We will have to execute flawlessly. Can the Chiefs execute flawlessly at Invesco, with a busted OL and a backup QB?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not used to fretting over the Chiefs OL.

bringbackmarty
09-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm thinking svitek, tackle eligible on first and second down, just run it. Third and short, quick slant to dante, screen pass to lj. third and long, draw play or gonzalez up the seam. Make our superstars win the game for us. Perimeter running, inside running. Our defense will be okay.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking svitek, tackle eligible on first and second down, just run it. Third and short, quick slant to dante, screen pass to lj. third and long, draw play or gonzalez up the seam. Make our superstars win the game for us. Perimeter running, inside running. Our defense will be okay.I agree....while many of us are saying....LJ left, LJ right, and LJ up-the-middle...most of us understand that you STILL have to pass the ball.

Quick-hitters....slant, seam, crossing patterns....will force them out of an 8-9 guys in the box/blitzing gameplan, as GAZ says...but they better be safe, and they better be efficient. With Huard and our OL situation, that won't be easy.

I hope Herm had them concentrate on a handful of plays to open up those running lanes, and I hope he repped the crap out of them. Expecting Huard and this crew to open up the play book and spread the field.....would be a pipe-dream. So, pick a few plays you think Denver will be vulnerable to, and make sure we can run them.

So, yes, that puts the game squarely on the shoulders of LJ and Gonzo, as far as I can tell.....

Calcountry
09-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Whatchabetdat Herm, seeing that the Chiefs and Bonkos only scored 10 points each last week, will run-run-run all day long and figure we'll be the ones on top in a really low-scoring affair?Suppose that Plumber getts off a big play and scores a quick touchdown on us?

It's all over the moment they do that. I think they know it, and look for them to go long early. Our D better be up for it, otherwise I am going to mow my lawn instead of watching this game.

StcChief
09-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Suppose that Plumber getts off a big play and scores a quick touchdown on us?

It's all over the moment they do that. I think they know it, and look for them to go long early. Our D better be up for it, otherwise I am going to mow my lawn instead of watching this game.

I don't think so Law,Surtain will blanket Rod Smith and whomever is on the other side. Cover2 looks for seam route.

Wow. lawn work over Chiefs/Donxs game.
:banghead:

ChiefFan31
09-16-2006, 02:59 PM

LMAO Just a little sarcasm in my post :)

No, Huard would not last long at all. Then poor Croyle would get tossed into the fire

ChiefFan31
09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I am pretty much of the same mind, Mr. Kotter. We have to make Denver back off the LOS.

Were I the Denver DC, I would have nine players close to the OL and I would send at least [1] of them on nearly every down. I would concentrate on Gonzalez and spend my risk ration on Kennison or Parker, counting on my D getting into the backfield and breaking Huardís timing. Denver has the personnel to accomplish that strategy.

My concern is that we lack the OL & QB to take advantage of the situation. Our OL is in tatters at both right and left Tackle positions. We lost a great blocking FB and our QB is about as inexperienced as a veteran can be. In order for us to force Denver off the LOS with max protect in play, Huard will have to hit Gonzalez, Dunn [Wilson?], Kennison and Parker [and Hall?] quickly and accurately [before the Predominantly Orange tide washes over him].

Denver can play sloppy and still win the game. We do not have that luxury. We will have to execute flawlessly. Can the Chiefs execute flawlessly at Invesco, with a busted OL and a backup QB?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not used to fretting over the Chiefs OL.

Good Post. I think that is exactly what Denver will do. They will constantly have 9 floating up in the box or around the LOS. They will utilize a lot of the zero blitz and probably will blitz every gap in obvious run situations. It will make it tough.

That is what they did last year, and it helped propel them to one of the top D's in the league. Did you see the game last year on Thankgiving against the Cowboys? They were zero blitz all day, why?? because the have decent to good coverage in the secondary, and because the cowboys O line is not good. They knew they could get to the QB and disrupt the timing/play and they would not be able to get off a deep pass. Not to mention if the RB got the ball they could just swallow him up.

If we could pop a long run with LJ breaking a tackle, or well executed blocking by our O-line, or perhaps Parker/EK can burn one of their DB's we might be able to get them to back off a bit....It will be tough...no doubt about it.

craneref
09-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Swing the ball out to LJ or to Bennett, get their LB's guesing whether it is going to be smash mouth or finesse, LJ only needs a bit of a seem to take it to the house, I hope they stack the box with 9, LJ will have at least 2 very long runs against them if they do, plus I think the Bennett with his speed would make them pay. Maybe see LJ an dBennett in the game at the same time, who do you defend?? I amexcited everyweek for a CHIEFS game, but even more so this week, the stars are lining up, We have never won at Invesco, we have a backup QB going and LJ losthis string of 100 yard games, and the "D" will show that the minimal yards allowed was no fluke last weekend, this could be an embarrassment for the donkeys. GO CHIEFS!!

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Swing the ball out to LJ or to Bennett, get their LB's guesing whether it is going to be smash mouth or finesse, LJ only needs a bit of a seem to take it to the house, I hope they stack the box with 9, LJ will have at least 2 very long runs against them if they do, plus I think the Bennett with his speed would make them pay. Maybe see LJ an dBennett in the game at the same time, who do you defend?? I amexcited everyweek for a CHIEFS game, but even more so this week, the stars are lining up, We have never won at Invesco, we have a backup QB going and LJ losthis string of 100 yard games, and the "D" will show that the minimal yards allowed was no fluke last weekend, this could be an embarrassment for the donkeys. GO CHIEFS!!

I hope you are right, though I'm not feeling it at the moment.

It would be humiliating for the Broncos, that's for sure. :)

keg in kc
09-16-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure this is the best way to attack what's basically the strength of Denver's defense (their LBs). We need to attack them the same way they attack us, i.e. misdirection and playaction, use their speed against them.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure this is the best way to attack what's basically the strength of Denver's defense (their LBs). We need to attack them the same way they attack us, i.e. misdirection and playaction, use their speed against them.

In an ideal world, you would be right. With Huard at QB, and our OLine in the shape it's in....it may be our only prayer, IMHO.

keg in kc
09-16-2006, 07:05 PM
In an ideal world, you would be right. With Huard at QB, and our OLine in the shape it's in....it may be our only prayer, IMHO.That was my way of saying "it wouldn't work". Not a prayer at all. They'll be hitting Huard before he hits the 3rd step in his drop. They'll start playing press, sit on the routes and we'll never complete anything. Better bet would be to go big, run a lot of 2/3 TE sets, go max protect and play action.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 11:05 PM
...Better bet would be to go big, run a lot of 2/3 TE sets, go max protect and play action.

If we have to do that, we will get blown out. Seriously, blown-away.

Some play actions would be good, but no passing game other than that? Would be a complete disaster afaic.

keg in kc
09-16-2006, 11:15 PM
If we have to do that, we will get blown out. Seriously, blown-away.

Some play actions would be good, but no passing game other than that? Would be a complete disaster afaic.I never said no passing game other than that. You always need to mix things up. I just don't think we'll complete many passes in the type of blocking schemes we saw last weekend. Denver is a better defense across the board, on the line, at linebacker and in the secondary. We're going to have to keep help in for both tackles. Running multiple-receiver sets more than occasionally will get Huard killed, and if we exclusively go to short passing, Denver will start to sit on the routes and we'll give up points the other way on picks. And trying to out-and-up, setting them up with the short passing game, won't work either, because we're not going to be able to give Huard time to drop back 7 steps.

I'm sorry, but from where I'm sitting, the only way we win tomorrow is if LJ runs for 150 yards and sets the playaction game up, and our defense plays the best game we've seen from them in a decade. Not only will we need to stop Denver, we'll need to take the ball away.

That doesn't mean Martyball. Saunders won some games using more rushing/playaction, too. I think it's our best bet.

I think it's going to take a perfect performance on both sides of the ball to win tomorrow. No mistakes on offense or special teams, long drives that end in points and an opportunistic defense that gets takeaways. All that just to have a chance.

Personally, I think we're going to get blown off the field.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 11:27 PM

I'm sorry, but from where I'm sitting, the only way we win tomorrow is if LJ runs for 150 yards and sets the playaction game up, and our defense plays the best game we've seen from them in a decade. Not only will we need to stop Denver, we'll need to take the ball away.

That doesn't mean Martyball. Saunders won some games using more rushing/playaction, too. I think it's our best bet.

I think it's going to take a perfect performance on both sides of the ball to win tomorrow. No mistakes on offense or special teams, long drives that end in points and an opportunistic defense that gets takeaways. All that just to have a chance.

Personally, I think we're going to get blown off the field.

I think you are under-estimating the Cincinatti defense, and giving the Donks too much credit. I agree their LBs will give us fits. However, their secondary and DLine don't worry me too much.

I do think play-action will be effective. I do think we need to play really well. But perfect? That's your negitivism creeping in....

Denver got beat by St. Louis. The RAMS for heaven's sakes! I know the TOs killed them....but we are MUCH better than the Rams. Watch.

If they get out on top early, YOU are right; we are toast. If we can stay close, or jump ahead early AND the running game works....those short to intermediate routes will open up.

JMHO. We shall see. ;)

keg in kc
09-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm not being negative. It's Invesco. We can't win there with a good line/team...

I hope tomorrow is the time it finally happens. I just don't think it will be.

Plus, hell, Michigan beat Notre Lame today. The gods of football aren't going to give me two in the same weekend...

And you are right about one thing. We have to keep it close. If we get behind early, we're done.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 11:41 PM
....Plus, hell, Michigan beat Notre Lame today. The gods of football aren't going to give me two in the same weekend....

FWIW, I'm not expecting us to win; just hopin' we can....or we can at least be competitive.

Wasn't that "sweet!?" Anytime the Irish lose, it's a GREAT weekend! Too bad OU and NU lost.....:(

With that, maybe the football Gods have ONE more upset in mind for us?

keg in kc
09-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Too bad OU and NU lost.....Are you kidding me? I was giddy they both lost. Today was like Christmas for me, seeing Miami go down, Florida state go down, having MU and KSU both win (root for the locals, just for fun...).

Today may be the most satisfying day of football in my entire life thus far.

Halfcan
09-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Your right about the double TE sets-they will be back blocking so Hutard has more time to throw INTs.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Are you kidding me? I was giddy they both lost. Today was like Christmas for me, seeing Miami go down, Florida state go down, having MU and KSU both win (root for the locals, just for fun...).

Today may be the most satisfying day of football in my entire life thus far.

Well, that's a good sign! Hell, maybe the Chiefs will make the weekend orgasmic for you....LOL

:p