PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever fixed lobster tail before?

Raiderhader
09-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm considering picking one up to go with a steak I'll be fixin' for my mom's birthday on Monday, but I've never messed with the things before. :shrug:

Ugly Duck
09-15-2006, 10:38 PM
When I lived in the British Virgin Islands I got ciguatera fish poisoning & could no longer eat fish. So I had to eat lobster every night. For two years. I just cut 'em in half, poured melted butter on 'em & cooked 'em in a covered barbeque. Only takes about 5 minutes on one side, turn 'em over for another five.... then put more melted butter in the shell & serve.

the Talking Can
09-15-2006, 10:42 PM
When I lived in the British Virgin Islands I got ciguatera fish poisoning & could no longer eat fish. So I had to eat lobster every night. For two years. I just cut 'em in half, poured melted butter on 'em & cooked 'em in a covered barbeque. Only takes about 5 minutes on one side, turn 'em over for another five.... then put more melted butter in the shell & serve.

same thing happened to me with Doritos while I was living in a van down by Salina....

craneref
09-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Damn, lobster EVERY night, I don't know how you did it, what a torture it must have been!! :p

KcMizzou
09-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I love seafood. But I have no idea how to prepare it. Any of it...

Logical
09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
When I lived in the British Virgin Islands I got ciguatera fish poisoning & could no longer eat fish. So I had to eat lobster every night. For two years. I just cut 'em in half, poured melted butter on 'em & cooked 'em in a covered barbeque. Only takes about 5 minutes on one side, turn 'em over for another five.... then put more melted butter in the shell & serve.Most likely Jamie will be cooking lobster that has been frozen, I don't think 5 minutes per side woujd turn out all that well but he can try it. On the other hand for fresh it sounds good. Jamie typically you put lobster in boiling water (time dependent on size consult a recipe) then serve with hot butter and lemon.

Raiderhader
09-15-2006, 11:02 PM

Jeez, the GD raider fan was more helpful than you.

Thanks UD.

Raiderhader
09-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Most likely Jamie will be cooking lobster that has been frozen, I don't think 5 minutes per side woujd turn out all that well but he can try it. On the other hand for fresh it sounds good. Jamie typically you put lobster in boiling water (time dependent on size consult a recipe) then serve with hot butter and lemon.

If I get it, it will be from the fresh seafood department of the grocery store (best I can do in east Texas). I'm assuming it is actually fresh, but....

I always thought they were boiled (but the grilled does sound very good), but had no idea about time or if you would want to add any kind of seasoning to the water.

runnercyclist
09-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Boil and butter, yum

boogblaster
09-15-2006, 11:50 PM
nail the sucker down on a old board..cover it with honey.lime.hotsause.butter and salt..throw it on a char-coaler lobster down..cook till burnt-black..remove from fire..throw away the lobster and eat the board...

Ugly Duck
09-16-2006, 12:11 AM
If I get it, it will be from the fresh seafood department of the grocery store (best I can do in east Texas). I'm assuming it is actually fresh, but....

I always thought they were boiled (but the grilled does sound very good), but had no idea about time or if you would want to add any kind of seasoning to the water.

Oh... the Maine lobster kind - my "recipe" was for the spiny lobster. Cooking them over mesquite coals imparted a bit of a smoky flavor. I've never cooked a Maine lobster, guess maybe I would boil it. I was working as a diver for Marine Archaeological Ventures, LTD & just grabbed one on the last dive of the day. Suckers were usually 5 to 7 pounds - biggest was 11.

Man-Goblin
09-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Make sure you buy a rock lobster (9 oz. or larger). Much more economical, less mess, and it's the best meat.

Get a large sharp knife, place the point just below where the shell ends and tail begins (where the tail that you can spread begins) and give it a quick whap to crush and cut the shell down the middle (don't cut the meat!). Then, you can pull the meat out of the shell through the split, as it is still attached to the tail. Score the meat down the middle and peel the skin back, then score underneath so it doesn't curl while you cook it. Then, just add a square of butter, some seasoned salt or seafood seasoning, broil at 350 for 10 minutes, spread the tail and voila!

Yeah, 4 years of being a cook at Red Lobster in HS and college paid off.

Der Flöprer
09-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Make sure you buy a rock lobster (9 oz. or larger). Much more economical, less mess, and it's the best meat.

Get a large sharp knife, place the point just below where the shell ends and tail begins (where the tail that you can spread begins) and give it a quick whap to crush and cut the shell down the middle (don't cut the meat!). Then, you can pull the meat out of the shell through the split, as it is still attached to the tail. Score the meat down the middle and peel the skin back, then score underneath so it doesn't curl while you cook it. Then, just add a square of butter, some seasoned salt or seafood seasoning, broil at 350 for 10 minutes, spread the tail and voila!

Yeah, 4 years of being a cook at Red Lobster in HS and college paid off.

You actually live in Charlotte or the one of the suburbs? I'm pretty new around here, any Chiefs bars?

wutamess
09-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Just did this for our 5 year anniversary.
Bought 2 big 2lb lobster tails from Sam's club.

Followed one of the recipes with my own twist for broiling and it turned out great.

Got 2 chiskabob (sp?) sticks for each tail to keep them from curling during broiling. break stick into 3's. 2 go on each side of the meat to keep from curling and 1 goes along the width to keep the shell as wide open as possible.

Cut the lobster tails lateral down the length of the tail. May need to use chicken cutters or a butchers knife to break the shell. Pull the meat almost out without detaching it from the end of the tail. Cut along the middle of the meat (you don't have to cut in half). Devein the lobster tail.

Put the meat back in... open the shell as wide as you can without breaking and season accordingly. Insert the chicskabob sticks.

For seasonings I used, butter, lemon pepper, garlic, lime, and some basil leaves. Put all of that in the lobster tail on top. At about the 12 minute mark take lobsters out and take one of those hairy brushes and spread more melted butter on the tails. Total broiling time was 15 minutes I think.

The lobster tails came out excellent and I didn't need any butter to dip the meat in as it was moist & seasoned to perfection. (I'm one of those types that hate Bar-B-Que sauce on BBQ because you don't get to taste the seasoning).

Be careful not to over cook lobster as it'll become dry & tough.
For proper cooking times check a lobster recipe on google or something. I posed this exact same ? on here on July 27thish and a couple of people threw out some great links for assistance. I'm pretty sure I used one of those links for cooking times but added my own spices.

PastorMikH
09-16-2006, 01:45 AM

You buy it, bring it home and say, "Here Honey, fix this for supper."

PastorMikH
09-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Jamie, get a pot of water boiling and drop the lobster in alive.

:)

KCChiefsMan
09-16-2006, 02:08 AM
throw the poor bastards in the boiling water while they're still alive until they turn red and melt some butter and you're in heaven

KCChiefsMan
09-16-2006, 02:08 AM
you know, this just got me thinking about the boiling the puppy thread and there really isn't any difference.....huh

wutamess
09-16-2006, 02:10 AM
If you go the boiling route... don't forget to add salt to teh water first.

Logical
09-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Jamie, get a pot of water boiling and drop the lobster in alive.

:)Just curious where is Jamie going to find a live lobster tail.:p

PastorMikH
09-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Just curious where is Jamie going to find a live lobster tail.:p

At the other end of a live lobster - DUH!!!

You can buy live lobsters at most Wal-Mart Supercenters and larger grocery stores in the cities around here.

stevieray
09-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I usually take mine to the lobster mechanic.

arrowheadnation
09-16-2006, 11:20 AM
My method has already been listed, but I cannot stress enough what was said before. DO NO OVERCOOK! It will dry out fast and turn really flaky and the meat will be tough. As expensive as lobster is, you can't just toss it to the side and start a new one. Enjoy though, lobster tail is one of my most favorite dishes mmmmmm, I'm salivating just thinking about it.

JBucc
09-16-2006, 11:22 AM
I was at one of those hibachi restaurants a couple weeks ago and our guy cooked one. Put it on the grill until it's done. Melted butter etc. Enjoy. Get a live one and video tape killing and cooking it and send it to PETA in an email. Show us their response just for laughs.

Man-Goblin
09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
You actually live in Charlotte or the one of the suburbs? I'm pretty new around here, any Chiefs bars?

Pretty new here as well. I live in Mooresville, which is about 25 miles north of Charlotte. Haven't seen any Chiefs bars, but I'm a Broncos fan so I wasn't really looking. I watched the games at the Midtown Sundries last week. Pretty good atmostphere.

stevieray
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
but I'm a Broncos fan .

I'm sorry.

Man-Goblin
09-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry.

Why?

stevieray
09-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Why?

ask anyone, they'll tell you the same thing.

Skip Towne
09-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Hahaha. you're a n00b.

jspchief
09-16-2006, 03:24 PM
If they are conventional tails, you don't want to boil them. Boiling is better for whole lobster.

If the tails aren't cut open, use scissors to cut the underside of the tail. Baste with melted butter and put shell side down on a medium grill. Cook for about 5 minutes until the shell is bright red, brush with butter again, then flip meat side down for approx. another 5 minutes (meat should become white no, longer opaque) Turn meat side up again, baste (maybe a little paprika) and grill for a few more minutes.

It often helps keep the tails from curling if you run a skewer through it lengthwise before cooking.

I'd suggest maine lobster over rock lobster.

Marcellus
09-16-2006, 03:53 PM
I usually take mine to the lobster mechanic.
ROFL

Man-Goblin
09-16-2006, 10:36 PM
ask anyone, they'll tell you the same thing.

Anyone eh? I am so resisting the risk of becoming a troll on this board...

Ugly Duck
09-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I am so resisting the risk of becoming a troll on this board...Aw, just go for it - its fun! Lookit me... almost 10,000 post and they haven't banned me yet!

stevieray
09-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Anyone eh? I am so resisting the risk of becoming a troll on this board...

is that like resisting making an illegal block?