PDA

View Full Version : personal injuries

Dark Horse
09-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Trents concussion brings back memories for me of my high scool days.
I was wondering if any of you guys have any good stories about injuries you sustained while playing football, or any sport for that matter?

I think I can relate to what Trent is going through. One day in practice I was diving to attemp a tackle on a running back and the next thing I remember is lying over at the side of the practice field ( they must have drug me off the field so as not to interupt practice time) with the coach standing over me with an empty smelling salts capsule in his hand. He said hey we thought we lost you there for a while, now get up and get your but back in there. I staggered over to the defensive side of the ball and tried to remember where I was supposed to line up. It was several days before I got my memory back to normal and didn't feel like I was in a drunken stupor.

Mosbonian
09-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Got one for you....

Senior year..football season. I was the Punter/Kicker for the team (along with the normal Offense and Defensive duties). Another drive had stalled and I was back to punt....after I punted I kinda dropped my guard and was looking upfield. From out of nowhere a guy nailed me in the ribcage with a helmet leading shot that knocked me backwards..I hit my head on the ground (not near as hard as Trent) and was knocked out....When I woke up a few seconds later the Trainer was standing over me with one of those damn ammonia capsules....

I had cracked ribs and a concussion....on Homecoming Night. The gal I was supposed to go to the Homecoming Dance with....all she was worried about was the fact that she had spent money on a dress she didn't think she was going to be able to wear. (She never even bothered to come see me at the hospital...went to the dance with another guy).

The most embarassing thing...they had to restrain my Mom from coming out onto the field.

mmaddog

StcChief
09-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Was in summer (Jr high level) baseball.

Hit by (non-breaking curve) right below my right ear, by left handed pitcher. Turned out to be All State in 3 sports later.

Woke up on the bench, wanted to go after him with the bat.

Dark Horse
09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=StcChief

Woke up on the bench, wanted to go after him with the bat.[/QUOTE]

I probably would have wanted to go after the guy too if I could have remembered who it was.

JBucc
09-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I stubbed my toe tripping over second base in little league. It was a tramatic experience, all the kids laughed at me. I ran home and haven't left my house since.

CHENZ A!
09-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Took a fastball to the temple, right between the ear flap, and the visor. I had a mild concussion, and I wanted to stay in the game, but I was 2 for 2 at that point, and one of the coaches on the other team was a doctor, and he recommended I go to the hospital. Cheating bastard! :cuss:

About a yr and a half ago, I absolutely wrecked my ankle while playing basketball. I went up for a rebound, and I didn't even land on someone elses foot or anything, I basically just landed on the side of my foot with all my weight, which is especially bad, because I can jump fairly high for a white dude, and I go about 190-195. It made my entire foot, and lower leg swell up big time, I went to the doctor for the first time in yrs, and they said I tore ligaments. Now I have to wear these fckin uncomfortable ass bulky ankle braces every time I play. My right ankle is still, after all this time, a bit bigger than my left.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2006, 12:33 PM
playing outside linebacker ... went in for the tackle and stood the guy up.

safety came in behind me to lay the big finishing hit. My arm was smashed between the RB's helmet and the oncoming SS's helmet.

they said they could hear the snap clear over on the sideline.

my right wrist still hurts to this day.

chefsos
09-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Can't recall a single one. I guess I'm indestructable.:rolleyes:

Did knock three other guys out (not all at once) playing slo-pitch softball, though.

Dark Horse
09-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Did knock three other guys out (not all at once) playing slo-pitch softball, though.

Yeay I never could pitch worth a crap either.

CHENZ A!
09-16-2006, 12:40 PM
I also have a real nasty scar on the palm of my hand... word for the wise: 1. don't get drunk and fight 2. if you do, put down your freakin cocktail and 3. by all means don't break your drink on someone, because it will hurt you too.

Wa-Z
09-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I was cutting a piece of paper once and I cut the tip of my finger. I had to get a band-aid.

PastorMikH
09-16-2006, 01:19 PM
My body suffers today more from softball injuries than anything else. Used to play tackle football - no pads - and at times in the street all the time when I was a kidteenager never got hurt worse than bandges and such could fix, never got hurt in the organized football I played in, though since my HS didn't have a football team, I didn't get to play in HS.

Softball has allowed me 1 broke ankle that didn't heal right and still bothers me to this day, a twisted knee that still gives me fits. Shoulder problems. And in practice, I was pitching and caught a line-drive on my shin 5 years ago - there is still a numb spot there to this day.

Only other sports-related injury is that I caught an elbow and had a tooth knocked out playing basketball.

PastorMikH
09-16-2006, 01:24 PM

We had a guy on one of our teams that knocked a base runner out. The runner slid and he tried to tag him. The runner didn't like it and since he was about half a foot taller, he thought he could get mouthy. Problem was, our 3rd baseman was built like Tyson and loved to fight just as much. The guy pushed him and Jim caught him with a half-swing upper-cut and knocked him out cold.

Say, your name isn't Jim is it???

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Yeay I never could pitch worth a crap either.

I feel you. I knocked a kid out cold once in ten-year-olds with a fastball to the ear hole.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I was never a wrestler, but played neighborhood football against someone who was. One time I was running along the left 'sideline' and two people were trying to gang tackle me. The wrestler then proceeded to take his thumb and try and shove it up my asshole.

I went down, but I held onto the ball.

wildcat09
09-16-2006, 01:26 PM
my senior year in college i got laid out cold. i was the recover man on the hands team for onside kicks. the kick was textbook. rolled a couple of times along the ground then went straight up. i was coming under it to catch it when i got ear holed. i had to watch the film to see what happened next. i went to the other teams sideline then one of my teammates went and got me and brought me to the correct sideline where i collapsed. when i came to i was on my way to the hospital. they were afraid i had bleeding at the base of my brain. turns out i didnt and i played a couple of weeks later.

Psyko Tek
09-16-2006, 03:14 PM
football injuries,
after every game both my hands swelled up,
I played TE and middle line backer, liked to punch guys in the chin when blocking
playing defense was a hand tackler

got an ankle screwed up on a running play
was fullback, going itno 4 hole, gaimed about 6 yards, and was looking for a corner to blow up
hit him good and low, but I didn't see the linebacker coming in low
Dad heard my ankle pop in the stands,
I thought I was fine but the coach said stay down
swellled up real good no real damage
knees hurt worse

craneref
09-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Was running an out pattern in High School, pass sailed over my head and as I slowed down out of bounds, I was drained, because the next theing I remember is hearing a whistle and being on my hands and knees starign at the officials shoes. Guess I had crawled back onto the field. Never could get a number of the guy who did it to me, but on film you saw my travel out of bounds then get LIT UP with my helmet, and body attached to it, elevating a foot above the other opposing helmets Things were fuzzy for a while with that. :shake:

Sure-Oz
09-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Got one for you....
The gal I was supposed to go to the Homecoming Dance with....all she was worried about was the fact that she had spent money on a dress she didn't think she was going to be able to wear. (She never even bothered to come see me at the hospital...went to the dance with another guy).
mmaddog

What a ****ing ****.

Mosbonian
09-16-2006, 04:09 PM
What a ****ing ****.

The story gets better....

My best bud and his G/F came by the hospital on their way to Homecoming...wanted to hang around and chat with me..keep me company. I told them I appreciated it, but seeing how hot his G/f looked in the dress I wouldn't want them to miss something that important.

They went on to the dance...when my buddies G/F saw my g/f at the dance with another guy, she lit in to her. Ended up knocking her onto her a$$ in her dress....told her that she should have at least stopped by to see me before coming to the dance. My buddies G/F also told her that they were stopping by to see me tomorrow morning, and if she got there and found out my G/F hadn't come by to see me, she was going to find her and kick her a$$ again.

mmaddog

Douche Baggins
09-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I sprained my ankle playing flag football once. It was a really severe sprain! Seriously!