PDA

View Full Version : Is OU's fight song...

bobbything
09-16-2006, 04:57 PM
...the gheyest, lamest, most redundant, unoriginal fight song in college football? A fight song that is so short that they're able to play it in between plays?

Peterson up the middle for 2 yards (cue OU gay-song)
Repeat after every single play

WilliamTheIrish
09-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey, they're Oklahomans!

The state motto is Keep It Simple (for the) Stupid.

Reaper16
09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
I hate "Boomer Sooner" sooo much.

chubychecker
09-16-2006, 05:40 PM
second worst....only to rock chalk jayhawk. I want to kill myself whenever I hear that chant.

|Zach|
09-16-2006, 05:43 PM
http://www.blowsion.com/visuals/ducks/freightliner4.jpg

CoMoChief
09-16-2006, 05:47 PM
ARK is pretty bad. SUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Texas plays "Ive been working on the railroad". Dont know much about that tradition.

Skip Towne
09-16-2006, 05:49 PM
second worst....only to rock chalk jayhawk. I want to kill myself whenever I hear that chant.
Please do.

Skip Towne
09-16-2006, 05:51 PM
ARK is pretty bad. SUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Texas plays "Ive been working on the railroad". Dont know much about that tradition.
:LOL: That song is "The Eyes of Texas".

chubychecker
09-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Please do.
Good thing is we won't be hearing much of that song the rest of the football season.
Oh yeah and show some respect, Taxes I pay allow you to take your full social security benefit.

gblowfish
09-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I hate Boomer Sooner too, but if you watched that game, you have to admit OU got jobbed by Pac 10 refs in the last two minutes.

Onside kick was BS, clearly touched by Oregon before 10 yards.
Pass interference play, ball was tipped at line of scrimmage.

I don't mind OU losing, I just hate to see any team get clearly jobbed by the home team's conference refs. That just flat sucks.

Al Bundy
09-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah the Rock Chalk Chicken "fight" song is pretty damn stupid, actually I don't like any of them.

KCFalcon59
09-16-2006, 06:07 PM
I hate Boomer Sooner too, but if you watched that game, you have to admit OU got jobbed by Pac 10 refs in the last two minutes.

Onside kick was BS, clearly touched by Oregon before 10 yards.
Pass interference play, ball was tipped at line of scrimmage.

I don't mind OU losing, I just hate to see any team get clearly jobbed by the home team's conference refs. That just flat sucks.

I hate OU too, but that was awful.

I was watching that game as I was having dinner a a local restaurant and couldn't believe the calls. The sound was down so I couldn't hear what was happening but it was clear that Oregon touched the ball before it went 10 yards on the onside kick and that the interference call should have been nullified because it was tipped at the line. I shook my head in disbelief.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I made a similar post previously. It's a terrible song.

DJay23
09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
That's because when you hear that chant, your team just got it's ****ing collective ass kicked in.

And it's not the fight song genious.

Zebedee DuBois
09-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Take it easy on the Okies.

They stole Yale's fight song "Boolah, Boolah", and felt good about themselves because their fans can remember both the words to it.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2006, 06:28 PM
That's because when you hear that chant, your team just got it's ****ing collective ass kicked in.

And it's not the fight song genious.It's a song that makes little sense.

Skip Towne
09-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Take it easy on the Okies.

They stole Yale's fight song "Boolah, Boolah", and felt good about themselves because their fans can remember both the words to it.
Do you know why the good football players go to OU rather than OSU? It's easier to spell.

DJay23
09-16-2006, 06:35 PM
It's a song that makes little sense.
Says you.

Who are you again?

Zebedee DuBois
09-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Do you know why the good football players go to OU rather than OSU? It's easier to spell.

M.R. Ducks
M.R. Not
O.S.A.R.
C.M. Wangs
L.I.B.
M.R. Ducks

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Says you.

Who are you again?I'll give you a hint; my handle is on the left of the screen, right above my avatar.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
...the gheyest, lamest, most redundant,unoriginal

Ok, Bobbything.

DJay23
09-16-2006, 06:43 PM
I'll give you a hint; my handle is on the left of the screen, right above my avatar.

Yes, I know, and my point is I still don't know you, and I still don't care what you think.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Yes, I know, and my point is I still don't know you, and I still don't care what you think.Then, why respond to me? That makes as much sense as "rock chalk."
:)

Lzen
09-16-2006, 07:30 PM

We can only hope.......:D

Lzen
09-16-2006, 07:35 PM
It's a song that makes little sense.

It makes sense if you know the history of it.

Lzen
09-16-2006, 07:40 PM
It makes sense if you know the history of it.

Rock Chalk Chant

The Rock Chalk Chant has been the battle cry of KU fans for over 100 years. This strange, traditional chant, which is among the most famous of all college cheers, was started by E.H.S. Bailey, a professor of chemistry.

Bailey wanted a cheer for his Science Club. Returning from a convention in Wichita, Bailey and some associates patterned the yell after the rhythmic cadence of their train rolling along the tracks. On May 21, 1886, Bailey submitted the cheer to his club. Originally, the chant was "Ray, Rah, Jay Hawk, K.U." repeating the words three times. This yell was used by the science club the next year and there were frequent allusions to "The Science Club Yell" in the student newspapers

An English professor suggested that "Rock Chalk" be substituted for "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it would be symbolic of the chalky limestone formations found on Mount Oread.

The chant was adopted as the college yell after the state oratorical contest in Topeka in 1886 because KU student yells for the their winners were enthusiatic, but unorganized. By the Fall of 1887 the yell was know as the offical yell of the school as the student newspaper reported on November 4, 1887,

"Every college of importance in this country has a college cry. In every town in which a college is situated, the midnight air resounds with the hideous yells of the student, symbolic of victory, defeat, or devilment. The students of the University of Kansas use their yell but little and it is only admidst great victory that "Rock-chalk-Jay-Hawk, K-U-U-U floats throught the midnight air reminding one of a band of Apache Indians."

By 1889 the form of the cheer had changed to the drawn-out cadence repeated twice, followed by three staccato repetitions.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Rock Chalk Chant

The Rock Chalk Chant has been the battle cry of KU fans for over 100 years. This strange, traditional chant, which is among the most famous of all college cheers, was started by E.H.S. Bailey, a professor of chemistry.

Bailey wanted a cheer for his Science Club. Returning from a convention in Wichita, Bailey and some associates patterned the yell after the rhythmic cadence of their train rolling along the tracks. On May 21, 1886, Bailey submitted the cheer to his club. Originally, the chant was "Ray, Rah, Jay Hawk, K.U." repeating the words three times. This yell was used by the science club the next year and there were frequent allusions to "The Science Club Yell" in the student newspapers

An English professor suggested that "Rock Chalk" be substituted for "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it would be symbolic of the chalky limestone formations found on Mount Oread.

The chant was adopted as the college yell after the state oratorical contest in Topeka in 1886 because KU student yells for the their winners were enthusiatic, but unorganized. By the Fall of 1887 the yell was know as the offical yell of the school as the student newspaper reported on November 4, 1887,

"Every college of importance in this country has a college cry. In every town in which a college is situated, the midnight air resounds with the hideous yells of the student, symbolic of victory, defeat, or devilment. The students of the University of Kansas use their yell but little and it is only admidst great victory that "Rock-chalk-Jay-Hawk, K-U-U-U floats throught the midnight air reminding one of a band of Apache Indians."

By 1889 the form of the cheer had changed to the drawn-out cadence repeated twice, followed by three staccato repetitions.
I know the history; I was born and raised in Kansas. That doesn't make it any less silly. Hey, we won!! Let's talk about geology!!!

Lzen
09-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I know the history; I was born and raised in Kansas. That doesn't make it any less silly. Hey, we won!! Let's talk about geology!!!

For ****'s sake, dude. It was written in the late 1800s. People weren't cool in those days like they are now. :rolleyes:

It's a tradition. I suspect the only reason you think it's silly is that you're a Mizzou fan.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2006, 08:17 PM
For ****'s sake, dude. It was written in the late 1800s. People weren't cool in those days like they are now. :rolleyes:

It's a tradition. I suspect the only reason you think it's silly is that you're a Mizzou fan.Interesting thesis. However, I bet you're wrong.
I had no idea this would make someone "testy."

ChiefaRoo
09-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I hate OU but they got jobbed on the onside kick. That being said they didn't have to give up the TD and then let their gamewinning field goal get blocked.

Spott
09-16-2006, 09:11 PM

It's a tradition. I suspect the only reason you think it's silly is that you're a Mizzou fan.

Um, why would a Mizzou fan call him self Pitt Gorilla? It's kind of silly to assume that everyone that doesn't like that song is a MU fan.

Toad
09-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Jealous much?

7 national titles in football alone...

buddha
09-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Boomer Sooner is among the worst fight songs...no question about it. However, they are Okies by definition...what would you expect? Mozart?

grandllama
09-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Interesting thesis. However, I bet you're wrong.
I had no idea this would make someone "testy."

You don't deal with a lot of Sooner fans in daily life do you Pitt? ROFL

grandllama
09-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Jealous much?

7 national titles in football alone...

Of which only 1 or 2 weren't bought by the Lexus dealer down the street...

Toad
09-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Of which only 1 or 2 weren't bought by the Lexus dealer down the street...

More jealously?

Every school cheats. Okies must not be all that dumb if they did buy a championship or 2...

gblowfish
09-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Um, why would a Mizzou fan call him self Pitt Gorilla? It's kind of silly to assume that everyone that doesn't like that song is a MU fan.Although, I can guarantee you with all certainty, ALL MIZZOU fans dislike that chant.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk....
Toe-Leah-Doe!!!

Heh.
Carry On.

Bowser
09-17-2006, 08:35 AM
So this thread starts off about the Oklahoma fight song, and ends up with the Kansas fight song.

What we have here is a classic example of a thread starting off slow and tapering off from there.

Saulbadguy
09-17-2006, 08:53 AM
FWIW, Boomer Sooner is not their fight song. I don't know the name of their fight song, but for the most part, they only play the "real" fight song after touchdowns.

I agree they overplay it. I remember in the Big XII CCG in 2003, they were playing Boomer Sooner in the late 4th quarter after they'd gain a few yards. Very annoying. The dah-dah-dah "OU" thing is annoying too.

burt
09-17-2006, 09:54 AM
No other comment