PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts after stepping away for a bit to let the disappointment subside

Raiderhader
09-17-2006, 09:29 PM
* First of all, the defense played a hell of a game, that was never in question. Still some kinks to be worked out, but we once again have a defense.

* The conservative play calling was necessary given the circumstances, I knew that going into the game. And really, with but a couple of decisions I have no major complaints. One of my problems with the DV era was that often times we were too aggressive. While I like the aggressive attitude, it can be taken to an extreme. I want a balanced offense. I realize we were not in a position to have that today, but it doesn't mean that we could not have taken a couple of shots. I mean really, we were not supposed to win today, no one seriously thought we would even come close - we had nothing to lose.

* Colquitt is a stud.

* The season still has potential for us, I think we still have a good shot at making the playoffs.

* Denver does not look good to at the start of this season, infact they look real bad.

* Jake Plummer is my hero. Long may he be the signal caller in Denver.

keg in kc
09-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Colquitt is definitely a stud. To see him kick like that on the road, especially late with the wind in his face...

And I think we tried to take shots. The line simply couldn't hold blocks long enough for any play that took longer than a second to develop.

Guru
09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Colquitt was damn awesome today. He would have had three kicks inside the 5 if we could have dug out a little more speed from ST on that punt that bounced straight up on the half yard line.

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Colquitt really helped us win the field position battle. I knew there was no way Denver could go 98 yards on us.

Raiderhader
09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Colquitt is definitely a stud. To see him kick like that on the road, especially late with the wind in his face...

And I think we tried to take shots. The line simply couldn't hold blocks long enough for any play that took longer than a second to develop.

When I talk about taking shots, I'm thinking specifically about the end of the half and regulation. We could have used play fakes and even screens to move the ball down the field. And the end of the half, I still say settling for a fg despite the TO situation was a mistake. A TD would have been the game. I don't buy into the "you don't leave points on the field" mantra in this instance. As I said, we had nothing to lose, why not let loose just a bit and take the shot. With 9 seconds in the red zone you have time for a quick look. If the shot isn't there throw the ball out the back of the endzone and take your FG.

runnercyclist
09-17-2006, 09:46 PM
On the second punt in the corner the Zeeb wanted to mark it on the 1" line, but then remembered he was being paid off by The Rat and moved up to the 3. It was comical.

siberian khatru
09-17-2006, 09:48 PM
With 9 seconds in the red zone you have time for a quick look. If the shot isn't there throw the ball out the back of the endzone and take your FG.

I wanted so bad to run a draw there. I was really bummed when we burned that last time out.

Even then, though, I agree with you: 9 secs is enough to throw into the end zone. Ah, hell, Huard probably would've been sacked, or the ball would've bounced off Kimble Anders' shoulder and been intercepted.

dirk digler
09-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Denver was selling out for stopping the run and we should have tried a half-back pass which I think could result in a TD.

Sure-Oz
09-17-2006, 09:51 PM
At the end we should'nt have run with 50 seconds left, and with 9 seconds left before that fg, we could've tried 1 shot in the endzone, it was obvious they didn't want Huard to try it.

rocks
09-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Is it me or did LJ not look like LJ today? He seemed to be running "lighter" or not as hard and mean as usual? Anyone agree or disagree? Colquitt=Damn good draft pick!

Raiderhader
09-17-2006, 09:52 PM
I wanted so bad to run a draw there. I was really bummed when we burned that last time out.

Even then, though, I agree with you: 9 secs is enough to throw into the end zone. Ah, hell, Huard probably would've been sacked, or the ball would've bounced off Kimble Anders' shoulder and been intercepted.

Yeah, but we were supposed to lose anyway, so what difference would it have made?

Guru
09-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Is it me or did LJ not look like LJ today? He seemed to be running "lighter" or not as hard and mean as usual? Anyone agree or disagree? Colquitt=Damn good draft pick!

over 120 yards? I won't complain. He carried Denver's entire defensive line too. I don't think he was lacking anything.

siberian khatru
09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah, but we were supposed to lose anyway, so what difference would it have made?

This place would've melted down at the playcall and everyone would be saying "You should've kicked the FG!!!!" :)

Raiderhader
09-17-2006, 09:55 PM

LJ looked almost hesitant today. Still had a decent game, sans the fumble of course, but I agree, he didn't seem to be the LJ we watched last year. I'm not yet concerned about it.

Raiderhader
09-17-2006, 09:57 PM
This place would've melted down at the playcall and everyone would be saying "You should've kicked the FG!!!!" :)

Clearly, this place would melt down regardless of the call.

I know one thing, I better never become the OC or HC for the Chiefs, or I'll have to come here after every game and bitch at myself.

rocks
09-17-2006, 10:00 PM
LJ looked almost hesitant today. Still had a decent game, sans the fumble of course, but I agree, he didn't seem to be the LJ we watched last year. I'm not yet concerned about it.

That's what I'm thinking. He had a good day running but just did not look the same. I thought maybe he got his bell rung or something. Well, hope we getter done next week!

keg in kc
09-17-2006, 10:10 PM
I thought LJ looked fine. Thought most of the yards were him, actually; run blocking wasn't particularly good IMO. He was more patient, that was the only real difference I noticed. Looked more like Priest than he had in the past, he just never had the opportunity to break one.

blueballs
09-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I thought this team played far better this week than last
and that was on the road, in the house of horrors

Chief Henry
09-18-2006, 09:16 AM
I would have liked about 5 more play action pass plays Sunday. (Huard) needs to carry out his fakes better. The two or three times he did run play action, his fakes STUNK. Hello Steve DeBerg !

I didn't like leaving the back field empty on those two or three occassions.

Did we execute any succesful screen passes Sunday?

jynni
09-18-2006, 09:37 AM
That's what I'm thinking. He had a good day running but just did not look the same. I thought maybe he got his bell rung or something. Well, hope we getter done next week!

Don't confuse hesitant with patient. Although I do agree that there were a few times when that was a detriment. However, at one point during the game, the announcers noted that of his 92 rushing yards at that point, 62 of them were after contact. That's some power right there.

donkhater
09-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Not me. I thought the LJ fumble should have never happened. This board melts down when Solari calls a run on 3rd and 5 from the 11, but is OK with it a week later? Why? Even Herm said in his post game press conference that you have to take chances on the road. Has it come to it that actually ATTEMPTING a pass is deemed taking a chance now?

If Huard throws a pick in that situation, then it is on him and the offense for the execution. The decision to pass and the selection of the play is on the coordinator.

KC had the ball inside the 12 yard line two times with one play to get into the endzone each time. The first time, they gave up and ran the ball. The second time, they were too scared to even try.

It's gutless, spineless football that will permeate this team. Mark my words. It's the coaching staff telling the team that "we don't trust you" and eventually it will destroy this team's confidence. It's the epitome of Martyball.

kepp
09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
On the second punt in the corner the Zeeb wanted to mark it on the 1" line, but then remembered he was being paid off by The Rat and moved up to the 3. It was comical.
I saw that...he just kept creeping forward...like he was thinking, "they told me $100 for every yard, right?"

hawkchief
09-18-2006, 10:23 AM
I saw that...he just kept creeping forward...like he was thinking, "they told me $100 for every yard, right?"

I thought that for LJ to get over 125 yards against a defense that knew going in that we were essentially a one dimensional team, that it was a great effort. Overall, I was pleased with the overall game-plan and effort, we just came up on the short end.

siberian khatru
09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
This board melts down when Solari calls a run on 3rd and 5 from the 11, but is OK with it a week later? Why?

It was wrong Week 1 because we had Green at the helm, we were at home and we had the Bengals D on their heels.

It was defensible Week 2 because we had Huard at QB, we were on the road, it was early in the game.

Otherwise, I agree with a lot of the rest of your post. Not trying for a TD at the end of the 1st half, and screwing up with the clock and the play call late in the game in Denver territory were terrible decisions, IMO.

StcChief
09-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Colquitt = Coffin corner

Calcountry
09-18-2006, 12:37 PM
On the second punt in the corner the Zeeb wanted to mark it on the 1" line, but then remembered he was being paid off by The Rat and moved up to the 3. It was comical.Once, the announcer said, "The spot is getting better and better as the linesman runs in."

Calcountry
09-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Denver was selling out for stopping the run and we should have tried a half-back pass which I think could result in a TD.With the way LJ has been dropping pitches, he probably would have fumbled it, wait, he fumbled it anyway doing the conservative thing on 3rd and goal.