PDA

View Full Version : What player has exceeded your expectations so far?

trndobrd
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm going to take James Reed. For all the issues we have, and continue to have, with our interior D Line, Reed has been an unexpected bonus as a free agent who just kind of showed up with absolutely no expectations.

7 tackles last week and a batted pass (didn't see number of tackles) this week. Has both the capability and desire to get a push. While certainly not a pro-bowl caliber player, he has provided a boost in at a position the Chiefs were sorely under manned. Unlike some of our other DTs, Reed performs like he belongs in an NFL uniform.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Honestly? Huard. 2 months ago I couldn't believe we were wasting a roster space on him. He's no Trent Green, but he's much better than I gave him credit for.

Rausch
09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Surtain.

After last year I didn't expect much. He gave up far more than he should have and didn't play up to his ability.

This year he's been Surtain.

This year we have a defense...

KcMizzou
09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
ESPN shows Reed having 4 tackles today.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Surtain.

After last year I didn't expect much. He gave up far more than he should have and didn't play up to his ability.

This year he's been Surtain.

This year we have a defense...

He's able to play his WR this year and not have to worry about yelling instructions over to Warfield.

CHENZ A!
I guess Allen, I'm more impressed every week with that guy, but other than him it's hard for me to pinpoint an individual. Page maybe, since I had zero expectations for him when we took him in the 7th rd.

PastorMikH
ESPN shows Reed having 4 tackles today.

ESPN is also saying that LJ didn't fumble today. I'm not sure how accuarate their stats are right now.

blueballs
good post
there are so many positive questions to ask after this game
a strange post game loss, giddiness for me

KcMizzou
09-17-2006, 10:55 PM
ESPN is also saying that LJ didn't fumble today. I'm not sure how accuarate their stats are right now.You know.. I wondered about that. They have DJ at 4 tackles also, and it seemed like he had a lot more than that to me.

Toad
09-17-2006, 10:56 PM
My vote is for DJ.

Rausch
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
He's able to play his WR this year and not have to worry about yelling instructions over to Warfield.

It's always nice when your co-pilot isn't ****ed up on pain killers and booze...

CHENZ A!
good post
there are so many positive questions to ask after this game
a strange post game lost giddiness for me

I'm still pissed off that we lost, but I think most people are less dissapointed after this one, because all of our expectations going in were so low.

SLAG
Damon Huard Exeeded my Expectations and I hope his services are not required any further

Rausch
09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
ESPN is also saying that LJ didn't fumble today.

They're wrong...

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Damon Huard Exeeded my Expectations and I hope his services are not required any further

I hope he plays every game this season...

To finish the game because Green has got enough of a lead to sit. Seriously, Green is too valuable to leave in late in the 3rd and 4th quarters if we are up by several TDs.

Iowanian
09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Kendrell Bell has exceeded my expectations, as in, I fully expected his ass to be playing spot duty while Key Fox started.

cdcox
09-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Tamba Hali has a much better sense for where he should be on any given play than I would expect for a rookie. Has more ability than I extected too. If he has a much up side, he could become a beast.

KcMizzou
09-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Colquitt, maybe? I mean, we expected him to be good when we spent a draft pick on him, but wow...

milkman
09-17-2006, 11:04 PM

To finish the game because Green has got enough of a lead to sit. Seriously, Green is too valuable to leave in late in the 3rd and 4th quarters if we are up by several TDs.

You're dreaming Pastor.

With Hermie at the helm, this team is never going to be up by several TDs.

Two TDs would be a miracle.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Colquitt, maybe? I mean, we expected him to be good when we spent a draft pick on him, but wow...

No kidding! A punt kicked out on the one yard line. Then on the next punt he kicks it out at the 2. I was amazed.

Now, who were all those planeteers that were complaining when the Chiefs wasted a 3rd round pick on a punter?

SLAG
09-17-2006, 11:05 PM

:LOL:

Yeah but at that point let the rookie get his feet wet

Rausch
09-17-2006, 11:06 PM
You're dreaming Pastor.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 11:07 PM
You're dreaming Pastor.

I would have thought so too. But looking at the Jets stats last week, I noticed Herm won games by big leads too.

I really don't care though whether the score is 3-0 or 45-35 as long as we win. I enjoyed watching the D today.

Raiderhader
09-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Kris Wilson

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Nobody has exceeded my expectations yet. I mean it. Anyone that has played well has played to my level of expectation. Those that have sucked or been mediocre were either expected to suck (Black) or are disappointing (zero pass rush from Hali).

milkman
09-17-2006, 11:27 PM
I would have thought so too. But looking at the Jets stats last week, I noticed Herm won games by big leads too.

I really don't care though whether the score is 3-0 or 45-35 as long as we win. I enjoyed watching the D today.

I don't care how we win games either.
I was just making an observation based on my expectation that Hermie will go into a protect the lead mode well before we get several TDs ahead.

I am surprised to hear that he won games with big leads.

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Herm blew the Colts out in a playoff game.

Rausch
09-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Herm blew the Colts out in a playoff game.

That doesn't reinforce the current mindset so it doesn't count...

Count Alex's Losses
09-17-2006, 11:36 PM
That doesn't reinforce the current mindset so it doesn't count...

I understand why people are frustrated but I think Herm has done very well so far. We just played our best game in Denver in six years. We served notice that we're not going to be pansies on the road anymore.

I am frustrated too. I guess we'll know where were going in 3 weeks. We do need to win the next 2 games.

****in' Chiefs.... :cuss:

DJJasonp
09-17-2006, 11:37 PM
DJ has been pretty impressive so far...and Paige...

I even saw Bell make a tackle for a loss today.

I feel much better about this team after today. As long as our D keeps playing like they did today - we'll be in many games...and hopefully our o-line gets some time to gel.

I definitely like our chances at being 2-2....from there, who knows....but I really like what I saw today.

I mentioned before the game today that we were going to find out a lot about this chiefs team today....specifically, I mean their heart. After the crap game last week and the BS non-call on Trent (and no retaliation from us)...I really wondered about this team's heart.....but we found out today they got a lot of it....for that, I have to give them (and even Herm) credit.

I'm looking forward to more surprises from our D this year.

PastorMikH
09-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't care how we win games either.
I was just making an observation based on my expectation that Hermie will go into a protect the lead mode well before we get several TDs ahead.

I am surprised to hear that he won games with big leads.

Now, he didn't have nearly as many as Al put up with the Chiefs, but in 2002 they beat 4 teams by at least 3 TDs in the regular season then toasted Indy (as GoChiefs mentioned) 41-0. In 2003 he beat the Bills 30-3. In '04 the Jets beat Miami 41-14, Seatle 37-14, and Houston 29-7.

So yeah, the mindset that Herm will push for a 3 pt lead then sit on it like Marty did isn't quite accurate.

ChiefsCountry
09-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Now, who were all those planeteers that were complaining when the Chiefs wasted a 3rd round pick on a punter?

Not me I called that pick. :)

jAZ
09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Since you didn't say "on our team", I'm going to offer up a former Chief.

Terdell "The Turd" Sands looked like a 6'7" monster playing (starting?) at DT for the Raiders. He was getting good pressure up the middle (against a good Baltimore line) and batted down at least 2 passes that I was.

Skip Towne
09-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Colquitt. He's either phenomenal or very, very lucky.

Brock
09-18-2006, 11:15 AM

Let me get this straight, people are <u>happy</u> about spending a 3rd round pick on a punter, that according to Kiper at least, isn't particularly consistent?

*head shaking*

Woodrow Call
09-18-2006, 11:19 AM
My top 5

1. Reed- He has been the best DT the Chiefs in years.

2. Walls- Played well so far, far better than I expected. The trio of Law, Surtain, and Walls is among the best in the league.

3. DJ- I thought he would be better this year but I didn't expect him to be this good this quick.

4. Wesley- He is playing better than I have ever seen him play. Gibbs and Herm deserve a lot of credit in turning him around. His brain has finally caught up to his talent.

5. Page- When he was picked I figured he wouldn't even make the team now is on the verge of starting and is all over the field.

Disappointments so far..

1. Kawika- Hasn't taken the next step I thought he would. Has played average at best so far.

2. Knight- Should be only in on short yardage.

3. Dalton/Sims/Edwards-If one of them would step up the D-Line would go from average to good.

Brock
09-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Page should be getting all the votes.

StcChief
09-18-2006, 11:20 AM
'Coffin Corner' Colquitt

JBucc
09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Huard
Bell
Wesley
Walls

dtebbe
09-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Since you didn't say "on our team", I'm going to offer up a former Chief.

Terdell "The Turd" Sands looked like a 6'7" monster playing (starting?) at DT for the Raiders. He was getting good pressure up the middle (against a good Baltimore line) and batted down at least 2 passes that I was.

Wow, that's 2 weeks in a row. In week 1 DV commented about how he thought he would come around, but "big guys like that take time to develop".

DT

HC_Chief
09-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Derrick Johnson

Hog Farmer
09-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I've gotta say I have been most impressed with what Rich Scanlon did. Before the Denver game I witnessed him pick up the entire stadium and spin it on his index finger and set it back down. It took several hours for the wind to finally subside from all the turbulence created.

wutamess
09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
DJ.

I expected to be an above average LB wiht occasional plays.

This guy is turning into a beast.
He's everywhere and he's becoming an Urlacher type. He seems to bust up planty of plays every game and always seem to get 1-2 tackles for loss every game.

I hope this is a sign of more good things to come.
At this point I'm saying he's on par with Edwards.

Iowanian
09-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Jarod Page is my vote at this time. When he was drafted in the late round, my thought was "meh" and not long after, I assumed he'd sign a baseball contract and not ever see the field in a Chiefs uni. He's a low round draft choice, taking time from a vet, and working towards a starting spot......and, in his 2nd game, he crushed a Donkey QB.

Others who are performing well, don't get as much from me, because I kind of expect high round draft choices to perform. Colquit is doing an excellent job, but I expect that from a first day draft pick, punter.

James Reed is my 2nd surprise.....June FA signing, that became our best DT so far.

HemiEd
09-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Tamba Hali has a much better sense for where he should be on any given play than I would expect for a rookie. Has more ability than I extected too. If he has a much up side, he could become a beast.

Hali is my choice as well, for the same reasons.

HemiEd
09-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Colquitt. He's either phenomenal or very, very lucky.

He is phenominal, but I expected that.

KCinNY
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Page.

Should be starting.

Easy 6
09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
There's a handful of surprises in my book, all of whom have been mentioned here. But i gotta go w/ cdcox here and say Hali, he has stepped RIGHT IN and gotten it done. Hustlin', makin' plays AND line calls. He's gonna be special.

donkhater
09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Nobody has exceeded my expectations yet. I mean it. Anyone that has played well has played to my level of expectation. Those that have sucked or been mediocre were either expected to suck (Black) or are disappointing (zero pass rush from Hali).
I guess you have to start a whole thread before getting flamed for saying that sh!t.

Brock
09-18-2006, 03:18 PM
I guess you have to start a whole thread before getting flamed for saying that sh!t.

Is that what you said?

CupidStunt
09-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Surtain was just below the elite tier of cornerbacks last year according to KC Joyner.

milkman
09-19-2006, 09:42 PM
DJ.

I expected to be an above average LB wiht occasional plays.

This guy is turning into a beast.
He's everywhere and he's becoming an Urlacher type. He seems to bust up planty of plays every game and always seem to get 1-2 tackles for loss every game.

I hope this is a sign of more good things to come.
At this point I'm saying he's on par with Edwards.

Donnie Edwards?

That guy didn't make any real hits.
He would just ride a Donkey back till someone came to help.

He was better suited to be a rodeo cowboy.

DJ, right now, is a hell of a lot better than Donnie Edwards ever was, and is only going to get better.

ZootedGranny
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Either Reed or Page.

As for DJ, he's progressing exactly as I imagined. If you watched him in college, it wasn't a stretch to believe he was going to be an animal, and early.

OldTownChief
09-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm going to take James Reed.

Seriously, when I read the thread title that is the first name that popped into my head.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Kris Wilson...still the secret weaon....still special..

Easy 6
09-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Ney Bionic i would say Deberg_1990, but seriously, i really did have high hope's for the guy, read all the report's about how he couldnt drop the ball if he wanted to in camp etc. , yet SOMETHING is keepin' him off the field.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Ney Bionic i would say Deberg_1990, but seriously, i really did have high hope's for the guy, read all the report's about how he couldnt drop the ball if he wanted to in camp etc. , yet SOMETHING is keepin' him off the field.

I dont get it either, every year they say hes a Training camp superstar, yet he cant seem to find the field. If he was really any good, they would have designed some plays to utilize his talents by now.

blueballs
09-19-2006, 11:38 PM
after Black's performance in week 1
Sampson in my hero

Easy 6
09-19-2006, 11:47 PM
I second that emotion blueball's, Sampson did a pretty damn good job of eatin' up defender's IMO dinvr. He just held guy's motionless better than anyone since Welbourne, i have a GREAT feelin' bout' Sampson. His size stat's look pretty even w/ Black's yet somehow he just looked bigger and physically stronger.

blueballs
09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I heard he got some help
but I'm sure Black did too

Easy 6
09-19-2006, 11:57 PM
He doesnt need as much help as I-65 does on the outside, he's prolly' not even as quick as Black but he's just a true-blue mauler. Black is a "wall off" blocker, he cant manhandle guy's like MIGHTY SAMPSON!!!!!!!