PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft

jspchief
09-18-2006, 08:52 PM
OK, I think I'm going to start playing WoW. Any tips or hints?

Also, it's my first real experience with online gaming. I was trying to check out the WoW site to get soem info, and their support section of the website appears to be jacked up. Anyone else have this problem?

JBucc
09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice knowing ya.

KcMizzou
09-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Hmm.. Well... start off with two gathering proffesions. (mining, skinning, or herbalism) Raw materials sell better in the auction house than finished goods.

You'll want to have saved 100g before level 40 so that you can buy a mount. (Unless you choose a warlock or paladin. Theirs are free, after doing a special quest)

KcMizzou
09-18-2006, 09:19 PM
As far as the site goes... I havent really used it other than the front page and the forums for my particular server. The realm forums have been really jacked up lately. They changed them, and haven't worked out the bugs.

As far as server lag in-game goes. It wont effect you much at all until and unless you're raiding. The server I play on (dragonblight) gets new hardware next week. We had an extended maintenance last week to prepare for it.. and already 90% of the lag problems seem to have gone away. All servers are getting new hardware to prepare for the release of the expansion this fall.

Anyway... it's a blast to play. Especially when you're new to it.

jspchief
09-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Any suggestions on selecting server, race, class, etc?

KcMizzou
09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Any suggestions on selecting server, race, class, etc?Most servers are alliance heavy. Mine is about 2 to 1 alliance to horde, and it's pretty highly populated. I play horde, because I like the role of the underdog. I'd go for a newer, lower population server if possible.

Pvp servers are player vs player. Anytime you are in a contested zone you can kill and be killed by players of the opposing faction.

Pve is player versus enviroment. (This is what I play on) You can choose to flag yourself for pvp at any time, or join battlegrounds witch have games like capture the flag, etc.

RP servers are for role playing. People talk in character and all that.

As far as classes and races, you can solo, farm and level effectively with just about any race you choose. If you choose a healing class, you'll want to choose certain talent trees to make it easier to level up. IE priest-shadow, druid-feral, etc. Basically pick talents that increase the damage you do. The faster you kill, the faster you'll level.

You can always "respec" to a healing build at 60 when you're ready to raid... and want to be more of a benefit to the entire group. You can reset your talent points for 10g the first time.. and it climbs a little each time you do it.

I'll post more as I think about it.

Edit : You will find it MUCH easier to quest and level on a PVE server than a PVP one. You will get ganked repeatedly on a PVP. Some people like the challenge of it though.

AZORChiefFan
09-19-2006, 12:21 AM
For help and tips check these sites.

Allakhazam (http://wow.allakhazam.com/)

Thottbot (http://www.thottbot.com/)

jspchief
09-19-2006, 12:56 AM
This game may ruin my life.

GoTrav
09-20-2006, 02:01 PM

fun game, have 2 60 rogues and a 60 mage. But agree with the collection tradeskills but it is profitable to take up alchemy as well. I'd go for one of the newer realms that isn't a ghost town. If you want to be needed I'd defintely go warrior or priest but if you just want to solo then play a warlock, rogue, hunter. At least on the horde side, minus the warlock, there are too damn many rogues and hunters so finding groups later on for some of the higher level 5 man instances will be rough.

I started playing a warlock on the Alliance side with some of my buddies on Onyxia. Not sure if you're into PvP but let me know and I'm sure you can join us. It's a small group of about 15 players.

Molitoth
09-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Nothing compares to Original Everquest before all of the expansions.

I'm waiting for Vanguard which should be pretty good. *crosses fingers*

ChiefFripp
09-21-2006, 07:03 PM
vanguard does look good. I don't think I'll bother with another MMO for a long time though. One experience was enough.

Saulbadguy
09-21-2006, 07:54 PM
YGPM.

Fruit Ninja
09-22-2006, 01:07 AM

I am still on everquest, Still the best MMO out there, even though its an old game now. Then again, i play to raid.

I have a WoW account, but i rarely play it now. I play with some old Everquest buddies.

These kind of games will suck you in. But if your like me and dont have a life, they are perfect. lol

I dont know about Vangaurd yet. Brad has interesting ideas for it. I just hope he can pull it off, but in order to run Vangaurd your computer is going to have to be pretty damn beefy.

Molitoth
09-22-2006, 11:29 AM
I am still on everquest, Still the best MMO out there, even though its an old game now. Then again, i play to raid.

I agree it's still the best mmo out there, I just retired about 5 months ago. GoD was my favorite expansion, so damned hard before they pussified Tacvi and Kod Taz access. These DoN and DoD expansions have been total crap IMO, im glad I don't have to suffer through the new one... the new AA's are expendable charges lol.

GoTrav
09-22-2006, 12:25 PM
I agree it's still the best mmo out there, I just retired about 5 months ago. GoD was my favorite expansion, so damned hard before they pussified Tacvi and Kod Taz access. These DoN and DoD expansions have been total crap IMO, im glad I don't have to suffer through the new one... the new AA's are expendable charges lol.

I haven't played since PoP but I thought it was a great game up through SoV...not so much after that. I really enjoyed SoV, and even most of the Ssra content in Luclin. Vex Thall keying sucked horribly (damn that twig!). PoP drove me away and practically ruined me of MMO's for life.

There is enough raid content now if you started over in WoW to keep you busy for a while. I was a big raider in EQ and recently in WoW as well, but after a while, it all becomes a drag to me.

GoTrav
09-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Ugh, not really...it was fun but any developer who thinks it's more "realistic" to have casters stare at a spellbook (before the lvl 35 sit to med was implemented) for 50 levels to med needs to be shot.

I haven't been too impressed with Vanguard and some of the videos I've seen so far.

Fruit Ninja
09-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Actually, i have had a ton of fun in DoD 1 grp missions. You gain good experience plus, good loots/augs. I had a great time. I love 1 grp content. But i am a raider first. hell i have a 15khp necro. lol

GoD was fun, unless you were in a high end guild, at that time i wasnt. And the whole expansion was bugged and broke. They tuned it for level 67 and the cap was 67at the time. They were supposed to give 2 levels with GoD, then when OOW came out give the other 3, but they scrapped it at the last second. So GoD was harder then they intended it to be.

The expansion that just dropped on tuesday did a ton of good for the game overall. The added 5levels grinding was boring but i did it on my Necro and warrior.

I am still enjoy the game 7 years after its release.

Fruit Ninja
09-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Ugh, not really...it was fun but any developer who thinks it's more "realistic" to have casters stare at a spellbook (before the lvl 35 sit to med was implemented) for 50 levels to med needs to be shot.

I haven't been too impressed with Vanguard and some of the videos I've seen so far.
They took that staring at the book out along ass time ago. I hated doing it myself, butit sure made the overthere fun when the goons came out at night. I am a Dark elf NEcro, so they never messed with me, but others in my grp had to run for skyfire lol

Fruit Ninja
09-22-2006, 04:31 PM
I haven't played since PoP but I thought it was a great game up through SoV...not so much after that. I really enjoyed SoV, and even most of the Ssra content in Luclin. Vex Thall keying sucked horribly (damn that twig!). PoP drove me away and practically ruined me of MMO's for life.

There is enough raid content now if you started over in WoW to keep you busy for a while. I was a big raider in EQ and recently in WoW as well, but after a while, it all becomes a drag to me.
I loved Ssra, VT key farming was defenately stupid. I remember when my guild first cleared to aten, it was 3am pst. the east coast folks were like fcuk, i am goig to denny's for breakfast now lol.

keg in kc
09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
It's like a drug addiction man. Say goodbye to sleep and whatever friends and family you used to have. I quit in May for the second time (first was may '05). Hopefully for the last time. It will literally suck your life away if you let it.

Fruit Ninja
09-22-2006, 06:10 PM
It's like a drug addiction man. Say goodbye to sleep and whatever friends and family you used to have. I quit in May for the second time (first was may '05). Hopefully for the last time. It will literally suck your life away if you let it.if you let it, I sleep everynight by 12 midnight. it had me for a while, then i realized that hey, i wont miss shit if i log out. lol I do pitty people that are going into any MMO that have no idea about them. I had to learn, atl east not the hard way, but i learned how to juggle that shit to where i could do shit outside of an MMO. THough, i still rahter play then go out now. Going out just costs to much.

Saulbadguy
09-24-2006, 11:12 AM
What server did you end up choosing?

jspchief
09-25-2006, 06:49 AM
What server did you end up choosing?My main is in Argent Dawn, with a backup in Gnomeregan for when my other realm is shut down.

I'm a lvl 17 warrior, and kind of wished I had chosen something else. Warrior is a bit boring in regards to skills.

I've only taken up one profession (skinning) because I'm unsure what else to take on. Leathercrafting would be the obvious choice, but I'd like to hear some suggestions.

What's the best way to make money? I've tried to stay thrifty, but my character is quickly out growing it's weapons and quality upgrades are pricey. I'm mostly relying on drops at this point.

Pants
09-25-2006, 07:07 AM
My main is in Argent Dawn, with a backup in Gnomeregan for when my other realm is shut down.

I'm a lvl 17 warrior, and kind of wished I had chosen something else. Warrior is a bit boring in regards to skills.

I've only taken up one profession (skinning) because I'm unsure what else to take on. Leathercrafting would be the obvious choice, but I'd like to hear some suggestions.

What's the best way to make money? I've tried to stay thrifty, but my character is quickly out growing it's weapons and quality upgrades are pricey. I'm mostly relying on drops at this point.

The best way to make money is Herbalism/Alchemy BY FAR. They're also VERY easy to level.

I started my Paladin as a Miner/Blacksmith, but I am now a Herbalist/Blacksmith (couldn't make myself drop Blacksmithing after all that effort and gold that I put into leveling/getting plans for it).

As far as the game itself, yeah, it's like ****ing crack. It pretty much destroyed my social life, lol. When my friends go out, I stay at our place "because I have a raid at 7." But hey, as long as I'm having fun, right?

Also, it really helps having "alts" (alternate characters) with different proffesions. I have a 35 mage (you can reach 300/300 with any profession at level 35) that does my enchanting/alchemy.

If you want, you can roll a character on Bronzebeard and I can help you out. I'm in a decent guild (we don't do the absolute top end-game stuff, but we do pretty well nontheless).

Saulbadguy
09-25-2006, 07:23 AM
I do tailoring and sell mooncloths and shit. Makes decent money.

dirk digler
09-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Nerds :)

Fish
09-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I visited a friend this weekend that plays Final Fantasy all the time. He told me he just passed 225 days(real time) of actual play time in the game. 225 DAYS of this guys life spent clicking away in this game. I couldn't believe it.

With my personality, I'm afraid I'd be the same way. I've steered clear of these types of games just for that reason...

Molitoth
09-25-2006, 12:36 PM
225 DAYS of this guys life spent clicking away in this game.

I think i burned up around 350 on EQ.

JBucc
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
I would get this game but I don't want to pay monthly fees for any game no matter how fun it is, and I hear most of the private servers suck.

kaplin42
09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
I have played EQ till PoP, then EQ2 for about a year, and now I play DDO.

EQ rocked and was one of the best games that I have ever played. All though I just can't imagine going back now since I would be a total Noob as far as gear goes, and when I left twinking was at an insane rate, I can't imagine it now.

EQ2 was cool at first, but Sony just turned that game into a suck fest. I'm not exactly what you would call hardcore, I don't raid for 10 hours a night, and I like the 6 man group stuff, but damn, they made it so you could solo to the end game, and then the raids were weak.

DDO, while barely 6 months old, is finaly getting its act together with content, and is a lot of fun. Best time I have had being a rogue ever. Real traps to disarm. Differant combat style, and xp gain style, but a lot of fun still.

I played beta for that. If you are used to WoW or EQ then there is going to be a learning curve. Combat is completely differant. But the game just looks awesome. I can't wait for that to come out, it is going to be a lot of fun.

Fruit Ninja
09-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I have played EQ till PoP, then EQ2 for about a year, and now I play DDO.

EQ rocked and was one of the best games that I have ever played. All though I just can't imagine going back now since I would be a total Noob as far as gear goes, and when I left twinking was at an insane rate, I can't imagine it now.

They made Everquest a tons easier to level, and you can acquire very decent gear with just 1 group missions. I play on Bertox, i have had some friends recently come back, and i help them get gear by killing old mobs. I have access to multiple accounts that i log in and killshit with, sometimes i play 3-4 characters at once. Its a pain in the ass, but definately keeps ya focused.lol

Here is my Magelo http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=140983
You can see how gear has inflated through the years. But after 7 years what do you expect. I am actually level 75 now with the new expansion that just came out, but magelo doesnt let you got o 75 just yet.

kaplin42
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
the link you posted shows up in wing ding font or something.

What is magelo?

Fruit Ninja
09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
the link you posted shows up in wing ding font or something.

What is magelo?A webiste dedicated to show your gear. They are usually used for when your recruiting for a guild, and they wanna see what your Hitpoints/mana are at, as well as your gear. Or you can just flex your e-penis, if you are in a high end guild with top notch gear.

Pants
09-26-2006, 09:21 PM
My roommate who got me into WoW to begin with, played EQ. He said he had to stop at 40-something because he realized it was just plain work and no fun at all. He said it was a complete grindfest and he couldn't take it anymore. I believe him.

I guess WoW and EQ appeal to different kinds of people. I hate the grind myself, I'd rather raid with a bunch of people and kill hard bosses/learn dangerous encounters and get sweet rewards. When I get bored with that, I go have some fun the battlegrounds.

EQ is dead, WoW is the new MMO king. Whether you like it or not, 7 million people are there to prove it.

Fruit Ninja
09-27-2006, 12:37 AM
My roommate who got me into WoW to begin with, played EQ. He said he had to stop at 40-something because he realized it was just plain work and no fun at all. He said it was a complete grindfest and he couldn't take it anymore. I believe him.

I guess WoW and EQ appeal to different kinds of people. I hate the grind myself, I'd rather raid with a bunch of people and kill hard bosses/learn dangerous encounters and get sweet rewards. When I get bored with that, I go have some fun the battlegrounds.

EQ is dead, WoW is the new MMO king. Whether you like it or not, 7 million people are there to prove it.EQ is far from dead, My everquest guild raids 6 days a week, and we all have fun raiding or we wouldnt be doing it. You dont have to raid everyday though. EQ "used" to be a grind fest, they changed it alot. If you raid anything hard in WOW, meaning Naxx, BWL, you will findout you have to grind the flasks in order to beat the zones. Only thing is in WoW you get to l Max level faster. Also, if everquest was dead, t hey wouldnt be still making expansions for the game. While WoW has 7 million Boxes sold, if they can keep that game going for 7 years then i will give them props.

And yes WoW is the new MMO king, but i do not have to sheep over like everyone else. WoW for raiding just isnt for me. I dont find it very fun. What i find fun in WoW is the PVP not the PVE.

kaplin42
09-27-2006, 09:15 AM
EQ is dead, WoW is the new MMO king. Whether you like it or not, 7 million people are there to prove it.

Yup, until Vanguard comes out, then you are gonna see populations of all current MMO's drop.

There is a Warhammer one comming out too, that looks pretty interesting.

Fruit Ninja
09-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Yup, until Vanguard comes out, then you are gonna see populations of all current MMO's drop.

There is a Warhammer one comming out too, that looks pretty interesting.The only MMo that even has a chance to compete would be Vanguard, i have heard alot of postive and alot of negative. The Owner/Developer of Vangaurd (Brad Mcquad-Original Lead Developer of Everquest) Frequents a guild webiste and thier forums and posts alot on thier, to talk about his game. The only thing that has me worried about Vangaurd is the framerate.As of right now its pretty horrible,and you basically need a super-computer to run it. Graphic of it are ok. Some shots are impressive while others are quite horrible. To me though, its all about gameplay, if its fun, then i will be all over it. I wasted my money with WoW and EQ2. So i am not to optimistic about any future MMO.

Anyways, Time will tell.

kaplin42
09-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I think the gameplay will be awesome. they say it is 3 spheres that you can play, but really its 4.

Combat
Crafting
(harvesting)
Diplomacy

They have classes and specialties in each. Any given toon can max out levels in all of them if they so choose. That seems like it would keep anyone busy.

Combat is way differant. When I played I made a rogue type toon. You get these icons based on one of your stats, the better the stat, the more you're aware of what your enemy is doing. The icons tell you what the enemy is going to do, so you can counter with a great defensive or offensive feat. It's much more involved then point and click like eq is. You actually have to pay attention to what is going on. Plus there are all kinds of combat chains that can be completed, sort of like EQ2's Heroic Oppurtunity, except these chains actually are worth doing.

As far as the monster comp needed, I'm good there, but I definately understand that not everyone has a super beefy comp. Hopefully Sigil will tone things down a bit.

Fruit Ninja
09-27-2006, 08:07 PM
I think the gameplay will be awesome. they say it is 3 spheres that you can play, but really its 4.

Combat
Crafting
(harvesting)
Diplomacy

They have classes and specialties in each. Any given toon can max out levels in all of them if they so choose. That seems like it would keep anyone busy.

Combat is way differant. When I played I made a rogue type toon. You get these icons based on one of your stats, the better the stat, the more you're aware of what your enemy is doing. The icons tell you what the enemy is going to do, so you can counter with a great defensive or offensive feat. It's much more involved then point and click like eq is. You actually have to pay attention to what is going on. Plus there are all kinds of combat chains that can be completed, sort of like EQ2's Heroic Oppurtunity, except these chains actually are worth doing.

As far as the monster comp needed, I'm good there, but I definately understand that not everyone has a super beefy comp. Hopefully Sigil will tone things down a bit.Brad has stated he wont turn it down, becuase ayear or 2 down the line, all the beefy stuff now will be alot cheaper. He says' that the framerage will get better, but hell, he isnt going to say its goign to get worse or stay the same, he's promoting his game.

If you want inside info from the lead man himself go to www.fohguild.org/forums He posts there under his in game nam Aradune Mithara.

jspchief
10-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Couple quick questions.

1. Can you only mail within your realm? I'd like to give some of my old gear to my other character on another server.

2. Is it ever possible to switch realms?

KcMizzou
10-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Couple quick questions.

1. Can you only mail within your realm? I'd like to give some of my old gear to my other character on another server.

2. Is it ever possible to switch realms?
1. Yes, there is no cross-server mail. (If you've equipped that gear it's soul-bound anyway)

2. Yes. Character transfers are allowed, but there is a fee. I think it's like $25. Also, I think it's only allowed at certain times for each particular server.

Wrasse
10-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm in beta...so hard to stay logged into that mess for more than 20 minutes at a time. I guess I'm not a 'core gamer' like Brad thinks he'll attract to this game.

I'm sure it will have its audience but I'm honestly fed up with the same, boring, uninspired grind that these games have become so I need something new (and something that doesn't require too much time...I'd like to lead a normal life with my family :) ).

Enter Warhammer Online.

There is a Warhammer one comming out too, that looks pretty interesting.
This is the game to get, IMHO.

Finally meaningful non-static PvP (contrary to what we see featured in the grind known as WoW) and a real virtual war of sorts taking place. Hopefully they'll add in some nice PvE to boot. We'll see but this title has me much more excited than Vanguard. :)

ChiefFripp
10-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Play Yuri's Revenge.

kaplin42
10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Finally meaningful non-static PvP

Not much of a PVPer myself. But, thats why they have all these differant games, so people with differant likes can play differant games. To me Vanguard looks great. It's not raid centric, although I know that there will be raids, its more 6 man group based, or what ever the group limit is, which is the style of play I enjoy. To me solo always seemed weird, why would I pay to play a solo game?

Wrasse
10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Not much of a PVPer myself. But, thats why they have all these differant games, so people with differant likes can play differant games. To me Vanguard looks great. It's not raid centric, although I know that there will be raids, its more 6 man group based, or what ever the group limit is, which is the style of play I enjoy. To me solo always seemed weird, why would I pay to play a solo game?
I agree.

It's going to serve a niche group, that is certain. I have friends that really enjoy it so, obviously, everything I've said is just subjective ramblings. :)

The classes look very cool (love the idea of the blood mage and the psionicists spells looked fun) but the game just hasn't grabbed me and seems uninspired...although that could be my lack of patience at this time for these sorts of games (and the fact that it very much is beta...needs a good 5-6 months before release IMHO).

BWillie
10-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Everybody who has responded to this thread is a degenerate loser. I would venture to say the virgin rate of this thread is about 90%. Except of course for me. You will be awarded no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

KcMizzou
10-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Everybody who has responded to this thread is a degenerate loser. I would venture to say the virgin rate of this thread is about 90%. Except of course for me. You will be awarded no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.Butters, go get a copy of the game, and join the online sensation before we all murder you.

Valiant
10-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Everybody who has responded to this thread is a degenerate loser. I would venture to say the virgin rate of this thread is about 90%. Except of course for me. You will be awarded no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Because posting at 930 at night on a saturday is so much more manly?

Fruit Ninja
10-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Because posting at 930 at night on a saturday is so much more manly?
lol, owned.

Redrum_69
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Bloodhoof server, horde side...Tauren tank, full might, and the Quel with just a draconian for a shield. Havent been on for a few weeks though.

KcMizzou
10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Bloodhoof server, horde side...Tauren tank, full might, and the Quel with just a draconian for a shield. Havent been on for a few weeks though.
http://my.opera.com/Jademyst/homes/albums/29642/thumbs/horde.jpg_thumb.jpg

GoodDaySir!
10-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Word to the wise....the expansion, Burning Crusade will have flying mounts and epic flying mounts. What level they will be available, I am not sure.

The cost of a flying mount - 1000g
The cost of an epic flying mount - 5000g

I was saving up for an epic mount in WoW, but now will just save my money for these.

Also, if you're a 60 trying feverisly to get your armor sets in instances, don't waste your time. The green and blue armor for levels 60-65 will make purple armor items look like trash.

Valiant
10-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Word to the wise....the expansion, Burning Crusade will have flying mounts and epic flying mounts. What level they will be available, I am not sure.

The cost of a flying mount - 1000g
The cost of an epic flying mount - 5000g

I was saving up for an epic mount in WoW, but now will just save my money for these.

Also, if you're a 60 trying feverisly to get your armor sets in instances, don't waste your time. The green and blue armor for levels 60-65 will make purple armor items look like trash.

Well somehow I have access to the beta forums, methinks I deleted the download message for the game.. but anyway, Flying mounts will only be used to fly on the expansion, you can still use your new mount on the original game but it cannot fly.. And they will be epic mount speed..

So far, all classes are getting a basic nerf from the way people are talking.. All armour is losing points and all lvls 1-60 are going to get tougher... They are ****ing with my rogues...

Most 62-64 blue weapons are better then most epics from the first raids... So just save your money and farm away...

Valiant
10-18-2006, 10:31 PM
But I have not played in two weeks been playing battlefield 2142 demo...

Saulbadguy
10-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Alright, i'm nearly level 60 (59 with half of my bubbles filled), although, I still feel like a fargin noob. I'm not in a guild yet, so i've just been doing things on my own for the most part, save doing a few instances...I do have some questions though.

1. When someone gets an item, they say "DE" it. Disenchant? What does that do to make the item better?

2. What does "attuned" really mean? What instances require attunement, and how do I get attuned to them (BWL, MC)??

3. What are some good specs for Warlocks? I've just been putting points in randomly, so I assume my character build sucks.

4. What is good gear for warlocks?

5. How will I go about getting my dreadsteed? :)

jspchief
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Alright, i'm nearly level 60 (59 with half of my bubbles filled), although, I still feel like a fargin noob. I'm not in a guild yet, so i've just been doing things on my own for the most part, save doing a few instances...I do have some questions though.

1. When someone gets an item, they say "DE" it. Disenchant? What does that do to make the item better?

2. What does "attuned" really mean? What instances require attunement, and how do I get attuned to them (BWL, MC)??

3. What are some good specs for Warlocks? I've just been putting points in randomly, so I assume my character build sucks.

5. How will I go about getting my dreadsteed? :)I think I know the answer to #1...

Instead of selling the item to a merchant, or screwing with trying to unload it through the auction house, they disenchant it to get the reagents that sell better on AH.

Nobody wants to but that "gilded shield of the penguin", but the disenchant might give you a "massive phallic shard" that will sell for just as much and is a desired item for enchanters.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I was told to make a twink with disenchant, so I can give it my main's leatherworking items to disenchant into reagents that will net me more money.

jspchief
10-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Also, I'm nearing lvl 40 and am going to need to generate some cash for my first mount.

Any suggestions for a lvl 38 warrior? Grind it out? Or are there some ways to make a bit quicker cash?

Saulbadguy
10-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm glad I never had to worry about that. Being a Warlock has its perks...

Saulbadguy
10-19-2006, 09:16 AM
BTW, this looks cool.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/lookingforgroup.html

jspchief
10-19-2006, 09:20 AM
BTW, this looks cool.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/lookingforgroup.html Agreed. I'm at a level where more and more quests require a partner if not a group, and it's difficult to drum up the help sometimes.

I'm beginning to think warrior might be the worst class in the game. There's no way to deal with mobs besides head on, and at this level they come in too large of groups.

Saulbadguy
10-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Agreed. I'm at a level where more and more quests require a partner if not a group, and it's difficult to drum up the help sometimes.

I'm beginning to think warrior might be the worst class in the game. There's no way to deal with mobs besides head on, and at this level they come in too large of groups.
Warriors are good for tanking, not much DPS imo.

It seems the groups i'm in are always looking for a tank or a healer.

What i've found with quests is that you won't get any help on the LFG channel, you have to find someone in the local chat, or just wait for someone to show up.

jspchief
10-19-2006, 09:33 AM

What i've found with quests is that you won't get any help on the LFG channel, you have to find someone in the local chat, or just wait for someone to show up.Yea, I'm always welcome for instances, and I enjoy tanking for a group (if they know what they're doing). Where I struggle is soloing quests.

Others have sneak, minions, or pets to help deal with groups of mobs, while I have to rely on my gear to kill fast and absorb blows. I'm not a big fan of dumping all my money into top gear, which leaves me a bit underpowered.

It's just not a great class for soloing. If I had it to do over, warrior would not have been the first class I played.

By the way Saul, you mentioned trying to start another char on Argent Dawn. I'm wanting to start a twink that can disenchant, might do a rogue that can also benefit from my main's LW ability. Let me know if you want to do it at the same time and in the same area (I'm indifferent, thought alliance for something new, but not sure if horde can mail to alliance). PM me let me know what you think and what times you normally play.

jspchief
10-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Anyone else that's considering starting a new character should look at Argent Dawn so we have so people to work with.

Looks like it will be horde for us. As soon as Saul and I decide I'll post.

Saulbadguy
10-19-2006, 11:14 AM
For help and tips check these sites.

Allakhazam (http://wow.allakhazam.com/)

Thottbot (http://www.thottbot.com/)
Thottbot has helped me out on many a quest...i've gotten to the point now I just look it up on thottbot before I even start it. Takes some of the fun out of it, but meh..oh well.

siberian khatru
10-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Long, but interesting:

http://soulkerfuffle.blogspot.com/2006/10/view-from-top.html

KcMizzou
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM

5. How will I go about getting my dreadsteed? :)1) You break it into raw materials that can be sold, or used to enchant other items

2) Same thing as "keyed". Some high level instances require attunment to enter

3) No clue... My main is a mage. Check the warlock forum on the WoW site.

4) A long quest. It's free for you... but the mats will cost you about as much as buying an epic mount anyway

KcMizzou
10-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Yea, I'm always welcome for instances, and I enjoy tanking for a group (if they know what they're doing). Where I struggle is soloing quests.

Others have sneak, minions, or pets to help deal with groups of mobs, while I have to rely on my gear to kill fast and absorb blows. I'm not a big fan of dumping all my money into top gear, which leaves me a bit underpowered.

It's just not a great class for soloing. If I had it to do over, warrior would not have been the first class I played.
That's why I love playing a mage. Sure, I'm squishy... but I hit like a beast. Fast killing = fast leveling. Gotta love the glass cannons.

I hit 6/8 arcanist last night. (teir 1 epic gear)

Pants
10-20-2006, 06:50 AM

What i've found with quests is that you won't get any help on the LFG channel, you have to find someone in the local chat, or just wait for someone to show up.

Actually, in end game, dual wielding fury warriors have the highest DPS in the game. The only trouble is that they have no aggro reducing abilities so they can't push it because they will draw aggro and die.

Warriors and to some extent paladins (what I play) are extremely gear dependant. When a mage or a warlock hits 60, their damage is huge compated to the fresh 60 warriors running around in blues. Mages and warlocks, however, don't scale as fast or as much with the new epic gear as the warriors. A warrior that's decked out in AQ40/Naxx (or even BWL) gear, even with just a little bit of healing support, will demolish everything in sight in PvP.

This is why Rogues were bitching that DW Fury warriors were replacing them (rogues in plate, lol) in raids pre 1.11.

And yeah, warrior is the single most important class in the end game. No tanks = no raid. In TBC it might be different as it seems Paladins will be viable tanks as well, but as of right now - warriors are at the top of the food chain.

KcMizzou
10-20-2006, 11:03 AM
And yeah, warrior is the single most important class in the end game. No tanks = no raid. In TBC it might be different as it seems Paladins will be viable tanks as well, but as of right now - warriors are at the top of the food chain.Very true. We did the first 8 bosses of MC the other night with only 1 preist. You can cover for that with druids and shammys. But if you don't have tanks, the raid gets called off.

Hydrae
10-20-2006, 12:12 PM
I have a 60 warrior and a 60 hunter. Yes, soloing sucks with the Warrior while is a non-issue for the hunter. I would highly recommend you stay with some form of an Arms/Fury build for you warrior until you actually get to 60. Then, if you plan to be a tank (80% of all warriors are and for good reason), you should respec for Protection. You won't do much damage but in a raid situation that is not your job. You are there to keep the attention of the monster while the casters kill them and the helers keep you upright.

As to the questions about Lock speccing, no clue. My two "little" characters are a Druid (41) and a Priest (35). I will say, a Priest with a lot in Shadow is a scary being! I take things down much faster than I did with any of my other characters at the same level. But it can be tough convincing people that they should let you go to SM with them even though you are not the uber-healer they thought.

As to getting a mount, it can be tough. Just wait until 60! :) Escpecially now that they have added needing to "learn" the riding skill. Not sure just how that works yet. But the best way to earn cash is generally with the gathering skills (mining, skinning, herbs). Or running the Deadmines a lot and trying to the level 19 blues to sell to the twinks. ;)

Hydrae
10-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh, and atunement is first for Molten Core. you have to go clear to the bottom of BRD and touch a piece of the core that sticks out there. This is kind of by the Lyceum if that means anything to you. You get the quest for this from the elf you see in the alcove on your way down to the entrance for BRD.

Atunement for BWL is done by touching the stone down the hallway before you enter BRS to get the quest then touching the globe behind Drakk in UBRS. Not sure, there may be some kind of requirement for entering Naxx. :shrug:

KcMizzou
10-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Not sure, there may be some kind of requirement for entering Naxx. :shrug:There is, but you basically buy it. The requirements scale down as you gain Argent Dawn faction. If you are exalted, it's free.

It'll be a long time before my guild has to worry about that though. We just recently beat Razorgore in BWL.

Guru
11-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Anybody have one of those 10 day free trial codes I can use? The website that generates them is malfunctioning for me. I read where owners of the game have 5 of these they can give to friends.

Help?

Valiant
11-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Anybody have one of those 10 day free trial codes I can use? The website that generates them is malfunctioning for me. I read where owners of the game have 5 of these they can give to friends.

Help?

I can I will need your name and email, you can PM it too me...

Guru
11-13-2006, 06:59 AM
PM has been sent. Thanks

GoTrav
11-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Anyone else that's considering starting a new character should look at Argent Dawn so we have so people to work with.

Looks like it will be horde for us. As soon as Saul and I decide I'll post.

I picked up a Perdition last week on my Rogue. And we're still hammering away at Razorgore on Uldaman server.

Isn't Argent Dawn a RP server? I'm looking to move my Horde mage, shaman, hunter somewhere...

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-13-2006, 01:07 PM
If I ever start playing this game, I think that ChiefsPlanet should start its own guild.

Pants
11-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I picked up a Perdition last week on my Rogue. And we're still hammering away at Razorgore on Uldaman server.

Isn't Argent Dawn a RP server? I'm looking to move my Horde mage, shaman, hunter somewhere...

The last three Rag downings we did before we stopped doing MC, he dropped 3 Perdition blades (3 in a row). Had some happy Rogues. Alas, the ****er only dropped one Bonereaver's Edge for us the whole time and it seems like I will never get one. /cry

Valiant
11-13-2006, 07:56 PM
The last three Rag downings we did before we stopped doing MC, he dropped 3 Perdition blades (3 in a row). Had some happy Rogues. Alas, the ****er only dropped one Bonereaver's Edge for us the whole time and it seems like I will never get one. /cry

Well reading the beta forums, a level 64 green item in the expansion is teh equilivant of a epic... So all that grinding and endgame instances will be useless in a few levels outside of the PVP'rs...

jspchief
11-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Isn't Argent Dawn a RP server? I'm looking to move my Horde mage, shaman, hunter somewhere...Argent Dawn used to be RP but to be honest no one does it anymore. You'd be hard pressed to find roleplayers.

However, I think that label has scared off a lot of the typical punks that you get in mmorpgs. It seems to be a relatively mature group overall.

I have a 47 warrior and Saul and I have low 20s characters there (mage and rogue respectively)

jspchief
11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
If I ever start playing this game, I think that ChiefsPlanet should start its own guild.A good start would be to get a lot of people on the same server. Just having other people to call on for help is nice.

Until we get a lot of 60s, I'm not sure our guild would serve much purpose.

ChiefFripp
11-14-2006, 09:32 AM
A good start would be to get a lot of people on the same server. Just having other people to call on for help is nice.

I have a level 60 Paladin I'd dustoff for a Chiefsplanet WoW guild. i haven't played the game in awhile though.

GoTrav
11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
A good start would be to get a lot of people on the same server. Just having other people to call on for help is nice.

Sounds like fun. What do most Planeteers enjoy about the game? BGs, 5 mans, Raids? I'm enjoying the raids ATM, BGs are fun but get a bit old if you're grinding for rank.

Fruit Ninja
11-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Long as the guild doesnt go Alliance. Alliance=teh ghey.

Wrasse
11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Sounds like fun. What do most Planeteers enjoy about the game? BGs, 5 mans, Raids? I'm enjoying the raids ATM, BGs are fun but get a bit old if you're grinding for rank.
My wife still enjoys the game...just leveling up new characters or helping others friends catch up to our 60s...but I'm having a hard time finding a point in playing. I'm big on PvP but this gets old after a while since there really isn't anything to show for your effort save for items...the world is static. Then there is raiding but, honestly, I'm not sure I have 3+ hours to spend sitting on my ass...especially during the week (no way during the week). I'm in a raiding guild with some friends and may try more of it later on...it can be fun with good people who work together...it's just that feeling you get when you spend too much time sitting down in front of a screen...especially after a week of work spent mostly sitting...you know, that feeling that your life is wasting away? :P heh

Oh well...Winter is almost here...more reason to be indoors I guess.

I'm going to be stuck playing this until Warhammer comes out (please hurry Mythic!) because I've got family and friends still enjoying the game and I'm sure I'll be running them through all kinds of instances so they can hurry up and get their butts to 60. :) It's still a fun game at times...just not playing much as of late.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
If anyone wants to join jspchief and I, roll a Horde character on Argent Dawn.

My characters name is Saulbadguy. His is Grollog and Greymouse. Just send us a tell. If we get enough members we can do some instances and crap without having to do PUGs. I also use xfire under the name Saulbadguy.

Redrum_69
11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I have a tauren warrior on Bloodhoof

Been there since january 05

hypersensitiveZO6
11-15-2006, 03:18 PM

Don't do it.

jspchief
11-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Sounds like fun. What do most Planeteers enjoy about the game? BGs, 5 mans, Raids? I'm enjoying the raids ATM, BGs are fun but get a bit old if you're grinding for rank.Both my characters are too low to do raids, so not sure about that yet.

I like running instances, although don't care for the time commitment they require. When you get a good group that works well together it's a blast. When you get some moron rambo it can suck.

IMO the Battlegrounds suck now because they are so full of twinks. You take a regular toon in there and he gets 1-shotted by a lower lvl with 500g worth of gear and enchantments.

So far I have the most fun teaming up with people to help each other out. It's cool to help some lower lvl guy finish a quest he's been struggling with, and likewise it's awesome when some stranger decides to lend you a hand. I'm actually amazed at how many "good people" are on this server.