PDA

View Full Version : The Fall of Rap.

DMAC
09-18-2006, 10:03 PM
What the hell happened to rap?

It is officially dead as I see it. Has been for a few years, but it is just really bad now...Saturday Night Live bad.

Where did it go wrong?

When did the downfall start?

Will it have a resurgence?

All of this and more when The Fall of Rap continues after these replies...

KcMizzou
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
It's certainly not what it once was. Most of the rap I still listen to is from the 90's. Tupac, Dre, Snoop, etc.

DMAC
09-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Tupac, Dre, Snoop, etc.Man, classic stuff right there.

plus

Digital Underground
old Outkast
Tribe called Quest

jspchief
09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Too much nepotism. Everyone is bringing in their buddy or bro to make albums, and it's watering down the product. You have to wade through too much crap to find good new stuff.

Archie F. Swin
09-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Have you heard Kanye West's Late Registration? I think its wonderful, and i've been litsening to Rap since the mid 80s

Demonpenz
09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
rappers need to stop ****ing around and start smoking fools.

Demonpenz
09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
hell anyone can get in the game these days. In my day you had to be a big time hustler to get in the game. Shit look whats happining to marco over at p and p production little punk straight kickin all day

StcChief
09-19-2006, 11:20 AM
It's just not falling fast enough :rolleyes:

NJ Chief Fan
09-19-2006, 03:56 PM
rap needs to die and hip hop needs to come back and thankfully it is, i cant stand those southern clowns that make the same song over and over again

check out the new lupe fiasco cd, its really good, i didnt give this guy a chance at first but his cd really suprised me. also wait for the new saigon cd to come out have no idea when its gonna actually come out, the new styles p~time is money is coming out in october than in november you have nas~hip hop is dead the N and 2 weeks later jay-z is coming out with another cd, by years end rap will be dead and hip hop will be back on top(one can only hope)

NJ Chief Fan
09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Have you heard Kanye West's Late Registration? I think its wonderful, and i've been litsening to Rap since the mid 80s
kayne west is a tool, he should just stop rapping and stick to producing

Sully
09-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Kanye isn't bad.
We'll seew what Jay-Z puts out.
I like Common.
From what I've heard, I thin I'll like Saigon's style.
It shouldn't be too long before Tupac has another album out. (How many has he released since he died?)

Woodrow Call
09-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Every song sounds exactly the same. My bling, my grill, my b*tches, etc. Back in the early 90's rap was awesome, it was like listening to a great story with a nice beat behind it.

New rap is terrible.

elvomito
09-20-2006, 09:54 AM
the way i see it, everyone with talent has very little ambition, so they aren't heard.
everyone heard has very little talent, but a lot of ambition, so they make it out, and end up catering to teenagers, women, and clubs. BS! its all about marketing now and the big companies are raking in money.
another sickening trend: everyone with a CD burner and a PC mic is now a rapper

old_geezer
09-20-2006, 10:26 AM
How do you fall out of a basement?

DMAC
09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
How do you fall out of a basement?Nice.

NJ Chief Fan
09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Every song sounds exactly the same. My bling, my grill, my b*tches, etc. Back in the early 90's rap was awesome, it was like listening to a great story with a nice beat behind it.

New rap is terrible.
i blame the south for that, they are a bunch of no talents, lil jon just screams yeah okay all day and makes the worst beats ever and like you said they all sound the same. the reason the south is on top right now is because they have unity something the east or west dont have at this moment. the new generation better have some unity or the south is still going to be on top which means radio and tv dominated by trash music, if this was the late 80's or early 90's these southern clowns would of been ran of the stage and beaten, all good hip hop is basically underground. just the other night 2 of the wests best rappers got into a fight, where the game supposedly jump rass kass with like 20 people and broke a bottle over his head, just an example of no unity

wutamess
09-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Anxiously awaint Mos Def to come out end of the month or next month.

Just last night I was going over the old JayZ Vol I (His best ever) cd with my younger cousin that seems to t hink Young Jeezy flows. After listening to a couple of songs from vol 1 he was convinced Jeezy doesn't talk about shit.

Also had him listent to some hidden gems in Southernplayalistic... Had to kick some knowledge to hium on what the song D.E.E.P. was actually talking about.

Waiting for Naz's Hip Hop is dead because it actually is.

While we're at it... Lil Waynes Carter II has been getting play from me. I was desperate for new talent that isn't horrible and he's actually decent. I know it's old but I stereotyped him and lumped him in with the rest of the Cash Money/Down South/Candy paint idiots.

wutamess
09-20-2006, 02:35 PM
And Actually, I was hoping Ness from Making the Band II would drop a album. That dude could flow.

FYI: Peedy Peedy signed with Roots.

PunkinDrublic
09-20-2006, 02:55 PM
i blame the south for that, they are a bunch of no talents, lil jon just screams yeah okay all day and makes the worst beats ever and like you said they all sound the same. the reason the south is on top right now is because they have unity something the east or west dont have at this moment. the new generation better have some unity or the south is still going to be on top which means radio and tv dominated by trash music, if this was the late 80's or early 90's these southern clowns would of been ran of the stage and beaten, all good hip hop is basically underground. just the other night 2 of the wests best rappers got into a fight, where the game supposedly jump rass kass with like 20 people and broke a bottle over his head, just an example of no unity

Exactly. Almost all mainstream rap today can't rap about hardly anything outside of guns, bitches, or how much bling they can fit onto their already tacky jewlery and gold teeth. These fags don't give a shit about the genre and just want to make a quick buck with a hit single or two. I think it will eventually be destroyed the way cheesy hairbands were destroyed by grunge.

Ari Chi3fs
09-20-2006, 09:03 PM

**** Saigon, he ****ed Turtle over. I don't play.

http://www.hbo.com/entourage/img/episodeguide/season03/ep34/ep34_06.jpg

Reaper16
09-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Anxiously awaint Mos Def to come out end of the month or next month.
Waiting for Naz's Hip Hop is dead because it actually is.

I need the new Mos Def and Nas albums in my life.

NJ Chief Fan
09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Just last night I was going over the old JayZ Vol I (His best ever) cd with my younger cousin that seems to t hink Young Jeezy flows. After listening to a couple of songs from vol 1 he was convinced Jeezy doesn't talk about shit.

lil jeezy is terrible, cant stand him! as for jay, reasonable doubt was his best work

this is the "tracklisting to jay's new cd that is suppose to come out 2 weeks after nas drops "Hip Hop is Dead....The N"(this title is corny he should of ran with the original title NASdaq dow jones(nas his rap name and jones his last name)

1. Mr. President (Intro)
2. Show Me What You Got
3. C.S.A. (Confederate States of America) ( feat. T.I. and Bun B ) [prod. by The Runners]
4. I Will Not Lose [prod. by The Neptunes]
5. Dead Presidents Pt. III (feat. Nas) [prod. by Just Blaze]
6. Tears (feat. Mary J. Blige) [prod. by Dr. Dre]
7. Hades (Lucifer Pt. II) [prod. by Kanye West]
8. Celebrate [prod. by Timbaland]
9. Shades of Grey (feat. Eminem) [prod. by Eminem]
10. Roc-Stars (feat. Beanie Sigel, Memphis Bleek and Tru-Life) [prod. by Just Blaze]
11. Legacy [prod. by Kanye West]
12. Candy Cane (feat. Young Jeezy and The Clipse) [prod. by The Neptunes]
13. Family Values [prod. by Kanye West]
14. The DEFinition [prod. by Rick Rubin]
15. You Remind Me (feat. Beyonce)
16. Til Kingdom Come (remix feat. Coldplay) [prod. by Chris Martin]

Simplex3
09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
What a shock, I enter a rap thread and the prose in nearly indecipherable. Much like the lyrics of anything produced past the very early 90's.

Fruit Ninja
09-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, its complete crap. Old NWA, Ice cube, Dre, Snoop, Eazy-E, Dogg pound.

Then i like the stuff from the Bay Area, but its like hard core gangster rap. Tupac, Brotha Lynch hung, C-Bo, MasterP (before, he rapped about bieng from the south), Imp, Young Cellski, GLP. I got alot of music on my hard drive, If anyone listens to it hit me up on aim if you want. KCXIV.

elvomito
09-24-2006, 08:40 PM
...Brotha Lynch hung...loaded and season are 2 of my alltime favorite albums, coincidentally came out before 1998. shortly after that i swear shit went downhill fast. i think it started with puffy and mase wearing those shiny silver jumpsuits

Archie F. Swin
09-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Back in the late 80s/early 90s I was exposed to rap by watching Mtv and BET. I haven't had BET for at least 10 years, and Mtv as I knew it doesn't exist anymore (remember "YO! Mtv Raps"?).

Now, the city I live in has an "Urban" radio station...that about the only exposure to rap I have. I'm outta touch.

elvomito
09-24-2006, 08:48 PM
you're not really missing much. anything thats good won't be on the radio anyway

Archie F. Swin
09-24-2006, 09:14 PM
You know who's a fukcin incredible rapper with impressive verbal skills? Bustah Rhymes

But damn this kid can't make an album...I've bought two of his albums and there have been two or three tracks that bordered on genius, while the rest was utter crap!

wutamess
09-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Then i like the stuff from the Bay Area, but its like hard core gangster rap. Tupac, Brotha Lynch hung, C-Bo, MasterP (before, he rapped about bieng from the south), Imp, Young Cellski, GLP. I got alot of music on my hard drive, If anyone listens to it hit me up on aim if you want. KCXIV.

I don't have AIM but would love to have Season of da siccness again.
That and his frist one (Forgot the name of it R.I.P?).

Maybe some Mr. Doctor (his first CD) if you have it.

Fruit Ninja
09-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Someone stole Mr. Doctor CD, but i have the first 3 Lynch albums. may be able to get the Mr. Doctor CD, not sure, gotta ask my friend if he still has it. I used to listen to this stuff back in like 1995. its been a long time.

if you know another way i can get them to you let me know. I have Yahoo and MSn as well, but MSN sux for transfers.

wutamess
09-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Someone stole Mr. Doctor CD, but i have the first 3 Lynch albums. may be able to get the Mr. Doctor CD, not sure, gotta ask my friend if he still has it. I used to listen to this stuff back in like 1995. its been a long time.

if you know another way i can get them to you let me know. I have Yahoo and MSn as well, but MSN sux for transfers.

Haven't listened to it since then either.
Was also telling my cousing about Brother Lynch.
Even though he talks about the worst chit ever... his stuff is considered classic to me.

He was a poor man's Canibus... All hype & promise but no breakout.
Where's GoChiefs when you need him?

elvomito
09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
his first was "24-deep"
just zip the entire album and upload to yousendit

wutamess
09-24-2006, 10:24 PM
(Thanks) GoChiefs says you can upload to putfile.com

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2006, 10:59 PM
It shouldn't be too long before Tupac has another album out. (How many has he released since he died?)

I'm not ALIVE!! THUG LIFE!! Dave Chappelle, that ain't your wife.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ABquFTDGOUM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ABquFTDGOUM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Dark Horse
09-26-2006, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=DMAC]What the hell happened to rap?

I busted a cap in its ass

NJ Chief Fan
03-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Just heard of a new MC from Cali named Bishop Lamont, Dr. Dre signed him to Aftermath a while back. His new mixtape N*gger Noise is really good. To me he sounds like a lyrical 50 Cent before he got shot/ Dr. Dre/ Obie Trice.

StcChief
03-18-2007, 08:51 AM
With a name like N*gger Noise that just about covers it.....

just taking awhile to die.

ChiefFripp
03-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I feel the same thing about rock. We're probably just getting old.

HolmeZz
03-18-2007, 04:06 PM
With a name like N*gger Noise that just about covers it.....

just taking awhile to die.

It's a good thing Bishop Lamont called it N*gger Noise so you didn't have to.

And yes, rap's fallen on hard times. It's been a while since I've listened to anything not from Pac, Jay-Z, or Black Star.

Woodrow Call
03-18-2007, 04:33 PM
I feel the same thing about rock.

Yep. I haven't heard a good new rock song in awhile. I turn on my radio and all I hear his a bunch on crap surrounded by some good songs from the 90's or early 2000's.

Rap and rock are my 2 favorite types of music and I'm bored with both of them.

Halfcan
03-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Rap has always sucked and always will.

Bowser
03-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Rap has always sucked and always will.

I had you pegged as an East Coaster.

Fruit Ninja
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
all music started to suck since the turn of the century.

DMAC
03-18-2007, 08:47 PM
all music started to suck since the turn of the century.All the good melodies were taken.

There is still some real decent stuff out there, but it does make ya think...Are there a limited number of decent melodies in the world of music?

Ebolapox
03-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Feh.

unothadeal
03-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Feh.
Tina?

|Zach|
03-18-2007, 11:19 PM
There is a lot of great music out there...people are just lazy as shit.

Rap just got stale...there is some good work being done but not enough of it when you look at how much is out there.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0bLOPKgkC0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0bLOPKgkC0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
03-19-2007, 12:00 AM
well being the residence gansta because I live on banaster rap is more about bling and bitches. Dig deeper. you might find something beter

Ebolapox
03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm a rap fan. don't like much of the new stuff, but there's enough of the old stuff to live on until I'm old and grey.

DMAC
03-19-2007, 10:59 AM
There is a lot of great music out there...people are just lazy as shit.

Rap just got stale...there is some good work being done but not enough of it when you look at how much is out there.

That song was interesting, I guess.

Mos Def is a cool dude though...I liked him in Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

Cochise
03-19-2007, 02:37 PM
That song was interesting, I guess.

Mos Def is a cool dude though...I liked him in Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

Black on Both Sides is a great record.

Micjones
03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Rap was never ALIVE.

There is plenty of good Rap music being released everyday. I know because I'm a Rap artist myself who doesn't ascribe to the tired tricks of the mainstream.

Just turn the radio off.
Or get yourself an XM subscription.

Ebolapox
03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
wow, I didn't know tech n9ne posted on this board (rapper from kc? heh)

Fruit Ninja
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Rap was never ALIVE.

There is plenty of good Rap music being released everyday. I know because I'm a Rap artist myself who doesn't ascribe to the tired tricks of the mainstream.

Just turn the radio off.
Or get yourself an XM subscription.
NO, there isnt, I was a HUGE rap fan in the early to mid 90's. It has gone to shit lately. I still got most of my old Rap CD's though. I pop them in every once in a while to go back 10 years.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-20-2007, 07:38 AM

There was a group in the 90's out of Richmond CA called C.I.N that did this track about rehab. Something about chillin in a sauna with a big bitch named Luanna smokin Marijuana. It was f*ckin awesome. If anyone has that and can get me a copy, I'd be stoked. It's been out of production for years.

DMAC
03-20-2007, 08:37 AM
There was a group in the 90's out of Richmond CA called C.I.N that did this track about rehab. Something about chillin in a sauna with a big bitch named Luanna smokin Marijuana. It was f*ckin awesome. If anyone has that and can get me a copy, I'd be stoked. It's been out of production for years.Looks like you will have to dish out a little more for it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000001YPZ/ref=dp_olp_2/103-9573599-4127002?ie=UTF8&qid=1174401242&sr=8-1

Micjones
03-20-2007, 09:17 AM
NO, there isnt, I was a HUGE rap fan in the early to mid 90's. It has gone to shit lately. I still got most of my old Rap CD's though. I pop them in every once in a while to go back 10 years.

We can agree to disagree, but there's so much more to Rap music than what can be heard on television and Corporate radio.

Phobia
03-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I love rap. It's the best. It will never die.

Fruit Ninja
03-20-2007, 12:38 PM
We can agree to disagree, but there's so much more to Rap music than what can be heard on television and Corporate radio.I havent listend to the Radio in over 5 years. I also dont watch MTV ever. I think just the quality has gone away. I dont know. I used to listen to alot of bay Area rap, but it just went really down hill. I am sure you can catch a good song every now and again, but its just not the same anymore. Not even close.

ChiefFripp
03-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Myspace is proof that the majority of good music doesn't make the majors. Record labels just want clones they know will sell is already established genre markets. Myspace however has a ton of great and original artist that you can sample for free.

Most rappers are not ashamed to admit that they are just about the dollar, so it's not suprising how willing they are to suck corporate cock and sellout, which is the reason rap ,for the most part, all sounds the same and pretty much sucks.

Virtua Chief
03-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Rap would be in better shape if 2Pac and Biggie were still here. Since then everyone has been trying to fill their shoes, in terms of being an MC. Nobody has touched the world like tupac since and no one has been as lyrical as Biggie since.

jlscorpio
03-21-2007, 05:34 AM
I've alwys liked Jay-Z. Public Enemy was great. Loved STR8 Outta Compton by NWA. Ice Cube's early solo stuff was great, too. Props to the Chronic, All-time classic CD.

scott free
03-21-2007, 06:11 AM
rappers need to stop ****ing around and start smoking fools.

LMAO , the "penz" strikes again.

ChiefFripp
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
What would rap be without legit music to ripoff or sample? I think my turds have more originality.

NJ Chief Fan
03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Rap would be in better shape if 2Pac and Biggie were still here. Since then everyone has been trying to fill their shoes, in terms of being an MC. Nobody has touched the world like tupac since and no one has been as lyrical as Biggie since.

Nas shits on Biggie and always has. Biggie was one dimensional, while Nas has versatility and a much better lyricist. But you are right about everyone trying to fill Pacs shoes.

Fruit Ninja
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Is there a way to upload old rap so i can post it on here so people can listen to it? i mean mid 90's Bay Area rap. I lost quite a few cd's though, but i still have a few good ones left. I would be more then happy to upload it to something so i can post in here.

thurman merman
03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
you people have obviously never heard brother ali, who is currently The Greatest Rapper Alive.