PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Memorabilia

Rick Stephens
12-14-2000, 08:44 PM
Being a Chiefs fan for the past 37 years and a collector of Chiefs memorabilia. I was wondering whats the oldest or most unusal piece of memorabilia some of you have?

For me, I have a beer stein from 1963, that lists the score and attendence of all the games on it.

I also have a plate of Len Dawson when he made the Hall of Fame, thats Plate #3 of 35,
all being proof plates because they were never issued.

Mark M
12-15-2000, 06:36 AM
I have four things:
1. A mug with a copy of the K.C. Star front page on it, declaring the Chiefs world champs. The finish is a little crackled, but still in very good condition.
2. A wooden wall plaque with a number of different headlines in a collage (sp?), all of which declare Chiefs as world champs.
3. A suade and leather football from the 1964 season with all of the players names stamped onto it.
4. My piece de resistance: A ball hand-autographed by the entire superbowl winning team. It is in flawless condition, and the names of such greats as Otis Taylor, Jan Steneurd (sp?), Len Dawson, et al are clearly visible in a variety of colored inks. It is in a glass case with a section of the old Arrowhead turf.

I also have a John Alt-autographed card. Wife lived next to him in Blue Springs. Not worth much, but still pretty cool. Also, a personalized signed pic from John Browning (my wife fixed his watch when she was at Helzberg's Oak Park store. Very, very nice guy. Big, too. Real big.)

I have Tony G.'s rookie card and am trying to find a way to get him to sign it. There are a lot of autograph hounds who just want it for the $$, but I'm a true fan. If I can just convince him of that . . .

MM
~~Happy his grandfather was a packrat.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-15-2000).]

Spott
12-15-2000, 06:45 AM
I don't have anything that old since I was born in the 70's. I have boxes of those old Chiefs cards that the policeman used to give away in the early 80's w/guys like Gary Barbaro, Steve Fuller, Ted McNight & JT Smith on them. I've still got the sports page from the 90 playoff loss against Miami(i should burn it) & the sports pages from the Chiefs playoff wins. I've also got a spring training program signed by Okoye during training camp his rookie season in 88, back when they use to hold it in KC.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 06:49 AM
Mark,

I know what you are talking about on the KC Star stein. There are four different things that make up that collection. I have all four of those.

I too have a Super Bowl Ball also one from the 1971 team and 1968. They too are signed in different colored inks.

I have one room of my house that so full of Chiefs things, you can hardly move in there.

Mark M
12-15-2000, 09:14 AM
Rick--
What are the other three items? My grandfather kept damn near everything he owned his entire life in his basement, but that mug was all he had. Were they give-aways for season ticket holders?

Mizzou--
I also have a handful of the those cards the police gave out. Of course, that's when policemen were my friend . . . growing up in Raytown, once you get past 16 meant that the police were now the enemy! :D I wonder if any of those are rare enough to be worth anything . . . ?

MM
~~Kept the gear through the lean years.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 10:53 AM
Mark,

I was wrong, there are seven pieces to the collection. Four different steins of different sizes, a drinking glass, an ashtray, and a plaque. These were sold by the Kansas City Star for several weeks after the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.I can still see those ads that they ran for these in my mind.

Another piece that I have is Bill Kenney's actual game helmet from the 1984 Pro Bowl. My son and I were at a game back there one time and I was in line to get a ticket for an upcoming game and he comes my son with Bill Kenney. He told me that someone had stolen the helmet from the locker room after the game and wanted to know how I got it. After asking me a few questions about it, he verified that it is the actual helmet.

Bricky
12-15-2000, 10:56 AM
Rick, what was the attendance of those games?

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 10:58 AM
Bricky.

Please, be more specific,what games?

Mark M
12-15-2000, 11:00 AM
Rick--
I guess I have two of the seven, then. Any idea where one can pick up the others?

What about a price for the stein? I've had the signed football appraised for about $2,000 (for insurance). Does that seem right to anyone else?

MM
~~Doesn't need money (well, actually, I do), just curious.

Bricky
12-15-2000, 11:05 AM
The 1963 games listed on the beer stein. Sounds like a cool item to have.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 11:09 AM
Mark.

I don't know where you would find the others. Back in the late 1970's and the 1980's you could find these things at card and memorabilia shops because nobody wanted them. After the Chiefs started winning in the 1990's the thing became rather hard to locate. You could buy all those things cheap but not today.

Your football is worth the $2000 . Is it the Spalding white panel autograph ball?

mlyonsd
12-15-2000, 11:13 AM
I have the SBIV game film on VHS. It's not really what I would call a collector's item but it is fun to watch.

The Chiefs kicked a$$ back then. Gaz would love to watch the defense. The D-line was outstanding and to watch Lanier hit somebody puts even Edwards to shame.

Mark M
12-15-2000, 11:14 AM
Rick--
Yep. Three white panels and one leather. I'm assuming they were given or collected by season ticket holders of the time. My grandfather died before I found out how he got it.

My 1964 ball is white leather on two sides (names stamped on one, an AFL logo on the other) and a yellowish suade on the other two. I hear it's not worth that much since it's stamped, not signed.

And I figured the influx of fair-weather fans in the early '90s probably did good and bad—good that the worth of these items has increased, but bad in that you can't find them at a reasonable price.

MM
~~Stuck in the old Catch-22.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 11:16 AM
Bricky,

The 1963 Stein is really cool. It has a Chiefs player on it in the home uniform, a pewter lid and is done in all the Chiefs colors. It is pretty big stands probably 10-12 inches tall.

The attendence for games in 1963 range from a high of 30,107 to a low of 16,462.

Bricky
12-15-2000, 11:19 AM
Rick, thanks. I was just curious.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 11:26 AM
M,

I have that Superbowl highlight tape. When I get depressed about the Chiefs, just watch that tape and I feel much better. The hits that Lynch, Brown, and Lanier delivered in that game are some of the best. The last hit by Brown on Capp finished him off. The Chiefs picking him and that look of a beaten individual, a classic. Never have seen a quarterback take that kind of a beating since.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 11:28 AM
Bricky,

The 1963 Stein is really cool. It has a Chiefs player on it in the home uniform, a pewter lid and is done in all the Chiefs colors. It is pretty big stands probably 10-12 inches tall.

The attendence for games in 1963 range from a high of 30,107 to a low of 16,462.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 11:30 AM
Mark.

I don't know where you would find the others. Back in the late 1970's and the 1980's you could find these things at card and memorabilia shops because nobody wanted them. After the Chiefs started winning in the 1990's the thing became rather hard to locate. You could buy all those things cheap but not today.

Your football is worth the $2000 . Is it the Spalding white panel autograph ball?

redhed
12-15-2000, 11:32 AM
Gotta be my autographed pic of Otis Taylor. Got it around 73-75.<BR>

Mark M
12-15-2000, 11:33 AM
Rick--
I guess that #17 was accidentally double-posted? :D

Check out #12.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-15-2000).]

mlyonsd
12-15-2000, 11:36 AM
Rick, my SBIV tape is a copy of the actual Chief game film. It even has parts of the opening ceremonies and half time.

I bet few people remember this but before the game started they tried to launch two hot air baloons from the field. One of them crashed into the crowd. The film show the gongalier(sp?) being dragged up into the crowd.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 11:46 AM
M,

I remember that. One was an AFL balloon and the other a NFL. That was the last AFL game!

Don't know how the double post occured.

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 12:30 PM
Bob Dole's oddest item is an old booklet about 30 pages, 4" x 8", signed by Len and entitled "Len Dawson's Quarterback Technique."

Have team signed white-panel balls from '70, '80, '90 and '99, signed jerseys from DT, Elvis, Gonzo and Moon. Signed Marcus Allen Fotoball, Montana signed ball, Harvey Williams (stop laughing) signed ball. Had a boat load of signed cards that the wife took off with to sell, so left only with Willie Davis, Okoye, William White, Stephone Paige, John Alt, Bill Kenney, Nick Lowery and John Tait (rookie).

Also a signed Vanover 8x10. hehe...

DJay23
12-15-2000, 12:35 PM
I have nothing that ever came in contact with the Chiefs organization, but my most prized possession is my cold cast pocelein replica of Arrowhead Stadium from the Danbury Mint. It is complete in every detail that can be replicated because it is pretty small. I have many other NFL stadiums too, I think they're just the coolest. I also have Allen Field House.

I also have a Chiefs pennant that I got at Arrowhead in 1988 against the Seattle Seahawks. A guy behind me spilled beer all over me (I was only 11). If you smell real hard you can still kind of get that scent of stale brew.

Phobia
12-15-2000, 12:36 PM
I have my Chiefs toothbrush from '94.

ROYC75
12-15-2000, 12:37 PM
I only have my memory..fortunatly I'm losing it ! Never kept anything when I was at the games...moved away in 81 and haven't been able to attend but 1 game in 85 ! I could use some help next year...my youngest son is a big fan and is wanting to go.....500 mile drive!

mlyonsd
DJay, sorry about the beer thing. I have always felt bad about it.<P>

DJay23
I also have "Warpaths: The Illustrated History of the Kansas City Chiefs" signed by Lamar Hunt and Len Dawson. I guess that had contact with the organization.

[This message has been edited by DJay23 (edited 12-15-2000).]

DJay23
12-15-2000, 12:39 PM
Thats Ok mlyonsd, it is a fond memory I have. Besides, the sense of smell is probably the most intense memory stimulus we can experience!

Ahhh, Stephone Paige, Bill Kenney, Herman Heard, Dino Hackett.

Oh yeah, I have a Frank Gansz police card thing. I wonder how much that's worth?

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 12:41 PM
Robert Dole

You have got some neat stuff.
I only have one signed jersey. Its a real game jersey, but not game used, signed by Joe Montana. Have many signed mini-helmets and have three real game used helmets.

ansonsdad
12-15-2000, 12:43 PM
My favorite memorabilia is a Super Bowl 4 Chiefs Pennant with the old AFL logo on it and an Indian with his arms crossed wearing a Chiefs helmet with a headdress on it.Also a mint Derrick Thomas 89 Score Rookie card.

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 12:52 PM
Have a cool jacket with the old tomahawk weilding indian brave over the 6 states on the back, too.

Bob Dole wishes Bob Dole's ex wasn't such a b#tch. Bob Dole had complete Topps Chiefs sets from '86-'94, all signed. Used to carry them around in the car and get them signed when I ran into the players somewhere (Usually Grunhard's radio show at the Levee).

Got the Montana ball when I ran into him and CP down at Tom Fooleries and luckily had an unsigned Wilson ball in the car.

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 12:59 PM
For those too young to remember the logo, here's a poor quality picture...

http://www.tigger.tamut.edu/MIS430001/slent/6statelogo.jpg

mlyonsd
12-15-2000, 01:03 PM
Senator, I finally found the jacket you described on Ebay. It is a new jacket, not from the era. I had been looking for one for a couple of years. Ebay kicks a$$.

I am thinking about having my wife take the logo emblem off the back and sewing itutting it on a lettermans jacket with some of those old AFL emblems.

I think the Chiefs should bring back that logo and paint it on the 50 yard line.

mlyonsd
12-15-2000, 01:05 PM
Bob, yours is way cooler then mine. The logo is the same but the Chiefs font is different. Mine doesn't have the 1969 either.

Is yours a lettermans jacket?

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 01:10 PM
Not a true letterman's jacket, but similar in style. Red sleeves on a black jacket. It's a newer item by Mirage.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 01:10 PM
Hey Bob Dole thats sweet !

I had a pretty good collection of Chiefs jackets but a few years back I had a burgulary and they stole over a $1000 worth.
Stole a lot of things but never got into my Chiefs room.

I would like to find the large pennant with that logo. I have the mini but have never been able to find the large one.

Ansonsdad,

That Superbowl Four pennant is nice. I have that one. It has that classic look to it !

Mark M
12-15-2000, 01:11 PM
I thought I had cool stuff until I saw Bob Dole's post. Thanks for making me feel unworthy! :D

I do have the old Chiefs foam tomahawk, I believe it was a Chris Martin (?)(an LB) product from the early '90s.

The old Indian and states logo was actually the original, if I remember correctly. It was never on the helmets, but they used it in SB1 for some promo stuff, I think.

MM
~~Needs some more stuff

Dartgod
12-15-2000, 01:12 PM
The only cool Chiefs memorabilia I have is a set of 4 bottles of wine with sketches of former Chiefs players on them. I think they are; Dawson, Lanier, Bell, and Buchanan or Taylor...I really don't remember.

A good friend of mine has a lot of cool stuff - A seat slat from old Municipal Stadium signed by Stenerud and someone else, a regulation helmet signed by Montana, Marcus and DT among others, a signed limited edition lithograph of Marcus Allen, and a limited edition crystal football with Montana's signature etched into it. He also used to have one of those signed SBIV footballs, but we destroyed it playing catch in the street when we were much younger and the Chiefs were perennially a bad team.<BR>

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 01:16 PM
Bob Dole doesn't really feel that any of that stuff makes a fan worthy or unworthy...just enjoys collecting it.

mlyonsd
12-15-2000, 01:17 PM
Rick,

Go out to ebay and search on 'chiefs'. You would be amazed at the stuff you can find.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 01:23 PM
Do any of you have any Dallas Texans things?

I have a letter from Hank Stram on the colored stationary requesting an autographed photo of Abner Haynes.

I like Bob Dole just like to collect these things.

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 01:40 PM
Bob Dole has tried for a couple of years to find decent Texans stuff, but has had no luck. Been trying to buy a full-size Texans replica helmet, but have not been able to find anyone with the d@mned things in stock.

Archie F. Swin
12-15-2000, 01:54 PM
I have a cheap imitation leather letterjacket bearing the signature of one Deron Cherry

when he signed it I said "I cried the day you retired" . . .he said "So did I"

I have to admit he looked bigger on television (I guess most things do)

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 02:26 PM
Bob Dole,

Riddell makes a full size throwback helmet.

I remember being at the Dawsons house when he and Jackie were married and his kids were playing in the yard with Texans helmets. Jackie told me if you want one just to ahead and take it . You don't take things from kids but sure wish I had one now. Len Dawson told me he didn't keep any Texans things.

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 02:29 PM
Bob Dole can never find anyone with the Riddell helmets in stock.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 02:31 PM
I am in California and tomorrow I am going to a place that normally has them in stock. If they have them I will post it here tomorrow night.

redsurfer11
12-15-2000, 04:56 PM
I have 1971 Slurpie cups with Dawson,Bell,Lanier,Buchannon and Taylor.There are only 13 of these cups known to be left in the world.

Rick Stephens
12-15-2000, 05:16 PM
Hello Redsurfer,

I have a set those!

kcchiefszoo
12-15-2000, 08:06 PM
I bought a pair of Derrick Thomas game used cleats last year. (yes they are authenticated) Dont ask what I paid, Im still lying to my wife about that one.

NaptownChief
12-16-2000, 08:06 AM
I am very envious of the Bob Dole collection. Despite bleeding the Red,Gold and White my whole life most of my collection is general football items.

My best Chiefs item is a authentic helmet signed by Montana...I live in Indy so it is not too easy for me to personally get signatures, but I staked out Chip Ganassi's racing headquarters a few years ago during race weekend and pounced on Joe for a signature. Luckily, I picked a good time of the day and only had to wait about an hour before he showed up.

As for my general collection, my best items are authentic full size University of Miami helmet signed by Edgerrin James, UT signed by Peyton Manning and rapidly decreasing in value UCLA helmet signed by Cade McClown.

I have authentic mini's signed by Manning, James, Marvin Harrison, Tom Osbourne, Jerome Pathon and a USC signed by both Marcus Allen and Charles White on the same helmet. If I can just get that slashing OJ to sign it then I can have a tri-fecta of USC Heisman winners on it.

In the photo department I have a 16x20 framed and matted signed Brett Favre and my favorite is a 18x24 Bob Knight that I got personally signed a few years back when I was good friends with his son Pat.<BR>

redsurfer11
12-16-2000, 08:11 AM
Hey Rick,Any clue as to what their value could be?

Mark M
12-16-2000, 08:16 AM
jl80--
I went ot high school with Jason Belser (#29 for the Colts)...had a locker right next to his. Doubt he remembers me (although he may; I talked to the guy nearly every day that year). Do you know if Indy is the type a team that, if you send a letter or something, they'll pass it on to the player and send you an autograph? I tried to get one the week of the '95 debacle at Arrowhead (froze my a$$ off waiting for him) but with no luck.

He's not the best safety ever, but it'd be cool to have one of someone I actually knew.

MM
~~Grasping for a connection

Rick Stephens
12-16-2000, 08:20 AM
RedSurfer,

I don't really know what they are worth. I think I paid about $25 for mine but that has been some time ago. I built my collection for enjoyment not so much as value. I try to get things that are unusal or things you hardly ever see.

Rick Stephens
12-16-2000, 08:22 AM
Mark M,

Are you aware that his father played for the Chiefs !

NaptownChief
12-16-2000, 08:26 AM
Mark,

I would think so...Jason also makes himself available to the public a lot...He does a weekly appearance on a local sports show and makes a decent amount of local appearances. The Colts complex is only about 3 miles from my house and it use to be real easy for me to get signatures after their practices. Now it is a little tougher because they built a new indoor practice facility that keeps football leaches like myself from being able to hang out during practice. If he resigns with the Colts in the off-season, which I suspect he will, I might be able to get you a signed mini OU helmet during training camp next spring.

Mark M
12-18-2000, 05:56 AM
jl--
If you could do that for me, I would name my first child after you! :D

Don't know what the Mrs. would say about that, but . . .

Rick--
I did not know that.

MM
~~Would owe jl a huge favor.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-18-2000).]

Rick Stephens
12-18-2000, 07:02 AM
Mark M,

His father, Ceaser Belser was a DB. He played for them 1968-1970.

Rick Stephens
12-30-2000, 02:21 PM
Mark M,

On the Yahoo Auction site there is one of the pieces which make up the Kansas City Star Superbowl collection. It is one of the steins with a picture.