PDA

View Full Version : Laptop charger connection problem.

milkman
09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
My battery charger cord is having a problem making a connection.

It seems that the cord is loose at the connection.
Is this a problem I can have fixed. or do I need to just replace it?

cdcox
09-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Dell? I've had the same problem. I suppose it could be fixed with enough effort, the problem being that the body of the Dell charger is sealed and doesn't seem to be serviceable. I ended up using the charger from my docking station as a substitute.

DaFace
09-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Depends on the brand. There was a series of HP/Compaqs that would break the solder joint on the inside of the laptop and eventually arc all over the place. I repaired one once, but it took a ton of patience, a new jack ordered on the internet, and a new cord entirely. Almost wasn't worth it.

PastorMikH
09-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Depends on the brand. There was a series of HP/Compaqs that would break the solder joint on the inside of the laptop and eventually arc all over the place. I repaired one once, but it took a ton of patience, a new jack ordered on the internet, and a new cord entirely. Almost wasn't worth it.

That would be my guess as well. I know the solder joint at the board where the power cord plugs in is a real weak spot. I try to be really careful with my laptop when the powercord is plugged in.

I have heard of Dell laptops having this problem as well.

milkman
09-24-2006, 04:14 PM
That would be my guess as well. I know the solder joint at the board where the power cord plugs in is a real weak spot. I try to be really careful with my laptop when the powercord is plugged in.

I have heard of Dell laptops having this problem as well.

Are you and DF saying it's the male end on the inside of the laptop?

Mine is a Compaq.

DaFace
09-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Yes - the problem is typically internal, although it may have caused a problem with the tip of your power cord as well. I suck at doing drawings like this, but here's a basic diagram of what's probably going on in the inside of the laptop:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3201/plugyn5.gif

Basically, those joints start to break. When they do, they arc (spark) a little bit any time the joint is wiggled. Over time, that can also eat away at the tip of your power cord as well (the plastic part at the end). If it's gotten bad enough, that cord may need to be replaced as well.

If you're not very sure of your laptop disassembling and soldering skills, there are a ton of places online that specialize in doing this sort of repair for $100-$150 or so. If you're willing to do something like that, let me know and I'll dig back in a couple forums to find a guy to recommend.

milkman
09-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Yes - the problem is typically internal, although it may have caused a problem with the tip of your power cord as well. I suck at doing drawings like this, but here's a basic diagram of what's probably going on in the inside of the laptop:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3201/plugyn5.gif

Basically, those joints start to break. When they do, they arc (spark) a little bit any time the joint is wiggled. Over time, that can also eat away at the tip of your power cord as well (the plastic part at the end). If it's gotten bad enough, that cord may need to be replaced as well.

If you're not very sure of your laptop disassembling and soldering skills, there are a ton of places online that specialize in doing this sort of repair for $100-$150 or so. If you're willing to do something like that, let me know and I'll dig back in a couple forums to find a guy to recommend.

It's either that, or buying a new laptop.

I appreciate all the help.

DaFace
09-24-2006, 05:12 PM
What's the specific model of your laptop? (It should be on the bottom if nothing else.)

milkman
09-24-2006, 05:20 PM
What's the specific model of your laptop? (It should be on the bottom if nothing else.)

Compaq 2201US.

DaFace
09-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Here's an auction on eBay for the actual jack you'd need to resolder the whole thing. I've never used this company, but their feedback seems to be very good. They also offer to repair the laptop for $100 if you'd rather not try it yourself. I'm not sure where you're located, but this place seems to be located in Springfield, so you might be able to save on shipping if you live close to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180030153782&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=180028138441&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

By the way, now that we've talked about how to solve this problem, I would at least double-check to make sure this IS the problem before sending it in for repair. You might try "temporarily buying" a universal power adapter from your favorite electronics store to see if that helps the problem. Make sure you know their return policies, though, so that you can return it if it doesn't help your problem.

There's no way to 100% confirm the problem without taking the laptop apart and looking at it. However, if it seems like there's a lot of wiggle room in the plug, or if you can hear any kind of creaking or sparking when you wiggle it, the jack probably needs replaced.

I hope all this helped. Let me know if there's anything else I can do!

milkman
09-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Here's an auction on eBay for the actual jack you'd need to resolder the whole thing. I've never used this company, but their feedback seems to be very good. They also offer to repair the laptop for $100 if you'd rather not try it yourself. I'm not sure where you're located, but this place seems to be located in Springfield, so you might be able to save on shipping if you live close to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180030153782&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=180028138441&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

By the way, now that we've talked about how to solve this problem, I would at least double-check to make sure this IS the problem before sending it in for repair. You might try "temporarily buying" a universal power adapter from your favorite electronics store to see if that helps the problem. Make sure you know their return policies, though, so that you can return it if it doesn't help your problem.

There's no way to 100% confirm the problem without taking the laptop apart and looking at it. However, if it seems like there's a lot of wiggle room in the plug, or if you can hear any kind of creaking or sparking when you wiggle it, the jack probably needs replaced.

I hope all this helped. Let me know if there's anything else I can do!

I'll be sure to holler if I need anything.

Thanks for the help.

Rep sent your way.