PDA

View Full Version : Shooter in CO High school

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 01:22 PM
in the same county as the previous Columbine incident. Let's hope and pray for a better outcome than before.

mlyonsd
09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
News is reporting an adult shooter holding 4 hostages.

Donger
09-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Oh look. The vulture is circling.

Rain Man
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Huh? Where? What school?

memyselfI
News is reporting an adult shooter holding 4 hostages.

I heard that too.

Halfcan
Dang that sucks!

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Huh? Where? What school?

Bailey, CO. A joint M/H school.

Robo-Chachi
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Huh? Where? What school?

Platte Canyon HS and Fitzsimmons middle school.

FAX
09-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Crap.

FAX

Donger
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
BTW, Bailey is not in Jefferson County. It's in Park County.

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Possibly a parent.

Donger
09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
BAILEY, Colo. - Colorado authorities said on Wednesday that an adult gunman was holding at least four hostages at a high school.

Duck Dog
09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Probably an Islamoterrorist soccer mom.

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Probably an Islamoterrorist soccer mom.

No, more likely a mere moron with a gun..you could prolly relate.

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Fox is reporting no injuries. That is hopeful.

vailpass
09-27-2006, 01:33 PM
in the same county as the previous Columbine incident. Let's hope and pray to Allah (blessed be his name) and the prophet Al-Manhaytah El that I can somehow tie this to Bush and that I'll be able to conceal my obvious enjoyment.

FYP

DenverChief
Park county...Columbine was in Jefferson County

Iowanian
Bailey colorado...platte canyon HS.

I lived very close to and built houses in that area.

jidar
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Is it T.O.?

Rooster
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
According to CNN the town is 35 miles SW of Denver. I hate this $hit. Why bring the kids into this? :#

vailpass
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM

Sorry to see you guys lost one of your own the other day; especially to some crazy SOB random shooter.

Robo-Chachi
Is it T.O.?

I've been trying very hard for the last 5 minutes not to make the same joke.

Stinger
Students held hostage in Bailey
Article Last Updated: 09/27/2006 01:32:06 PM MDT

By Kirk Mitchell and Felisa Cardona
Denver Post Staff Writers
DenverPost.com

A gunman is holding four students hostage at a Park County school, and several shots have been fired.

Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado State Patrol, said it is unclear if anyone was injured at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey.

Clem said five students were taken hostage at gunpoint in a classroom. The suspect has released one of the five, a girl.

"There were some shots fired," said Eric Wynn, CSP spokesman He said the suspect is a 35-year-old man.

Park County authorities requested help from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department's bomb squad and SWAT team, said Jim Shires, Jefferson County sheriff's spokesman.

Shires said Park County is a small department and doesn't have a complete SWAT team.

He said the teams were headed to the department's Golden office to pick up equipment.

Clem said Park County has set up a command post across the street from the high school. CSP officers have been asked to control traffic in both directions on 285, effectively closing the highway.

"We have a bunch of troopers there," he said.

Platte Canyon High School is located 46 miles southwest of Denver on Highway 285, near the Jefferson County/Park County line.

Both Platte Canyon High School and Fitsimmons Middle School had been evacuated, according to the superintendent's office.

Lynn Setzer, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County School District, said four district schools that border the Platte Canyon School District have been shut down. Those are Conifer High School, West Jefferson Middle School, West Jefferson Elementary School and Elk Creek Elementary School.

“This is pretty standard procedure,” said Setzer. “We don't know if it's somebody walking around with a gun.”

Setzer said the district learned of the incident about 12:15 p.m.
Students, she said, will remain in the building and classes will continue. “Just no recess,” she said. “Classes continue and we're working on getting more information.”

Setzer said parents are calling into schools and into the community superintendents' offices. “They're just concerned. They want to know what's going on.”

Denver resident Kim Martin said she was listening to her police scanner this afternoon and heard talk about hostages. "Right now, they have a sniper in the library," said Martin, who said she is a fire-chaser for a catastrophe service. "I believe it was four hostages and now there's two hostages."

She said she doesn't know what happened to the other two.
Platte Canyon parent Sally Impson sat at home praying that her son Andrew, a 17-year-old senior at the high school would find a way to contact her. "I"m so shook," she said. "I'd just like to know that he's okay."

She said her mother called her after seeing news reports that the school was evacuated.

"I'm just hoping Andrew will call me. He has a cell phone but it's not turned on. The phone doesn't work in the school anyway," she said. "It's just scary. You don't know what's going on. You hear shots are fired. I hope to God that everything is okay."

Impson said she hasn't called the school because she knows they are overwhelmed with phone calls, and the road to the school - about 15 minutes away - is shut down."

She said her son has been a student in the district since kindergarten.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4404879

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
BAILEY - At least four schools are in lockdown after a gunman, claiming to have a bomb, took an unknown number of people hostage inside Platte Canyon High School.

Park County Sheriff's Department has confirmed there is one man, with a gun, inside the school. He has claimed to have a bomb. They have also confirmed he has a female hostage. They are also reporting that there are no known injuries at this point.

Reportedly the Park County Sheriff says they received a 911 call from the man inside the school telling them he had the hostage. Law enforcement officers are moving through the evacuated buildings searching for any people left inside and trying to assess the situation.

Platte Canyon High School has been evacuated and both sides of highway 285 have been closed to facilitate the evacuations between mile markers 218 and 222.

Around noon, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department sent its bomb squad and its SWAT unit to the school after reports of possible gun fire inside the school. Park County requested JeffCo assistance.

Four Jefferson County schools and at least one Park County school are in lockdown.

The schools in Jefferson County are: Conifer High School, West Jefferson Middle School, West Jefferson Elementary School and Elk Creek Elementary School.

Fitzsimmons Middle School has been locked down in Park County.

The school districts are not releasing any information about where evacuated students are being taken. There is no information on what parents, with students in the affected schools, should do at this point. 9NEWS will provide details for parents as soon as we receive them.

9NEWS and 9NEWS.com will continue to update this story as more details become available. Sky9 is sending back life images, which you can watch by clicking here. However, the quality of the feed will be variable due to the location of the school.

Park Co received 911 call from the gunman saying he was holding a hostage. Police are searching the evacuated building to clear it

www.9news.com

Rooster
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Is it T.O.?

Could be that Plummer has finally snapped?

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry to see you guys lost one of your own the other day; especially to some crazy SOB random shooter.

Thanks vailpass

Yea that funeral was brutal...so senseless

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 01:41 PM

Yes, CNN stated that Jefferson county was involved. They later reported it was their rescue officials and that a few of their schools were in lockdown.

Hog Farmer
09-27-2006, 01:42 PM
If a gunman was holding my daughter hostage, I guarantee you that would be the last thing in his life to take place. Shit like this makes me mentally unstable.

Iowanian
09-27-2006, 01:43 PM
This is bronco territory......alot of nutjobs in those mountains.....and alot of california transplants.

Alot of goofy bastards in that region

Donger
09-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Alot of goofy bastards in that region

I take great offense at that.

jidar
09-27-2006, 01:47 PM
I take great offense at that.

As a goofy bastard, Donger doesn't want to be lumped in with Denver natives.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Jeffco has the best funding of any Sheriff's Office in the state...

Iowanian
09-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Also, they have more than their fair share of Mullets and missing teef.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 01:51 PM
video

http://www.9news.com/includes/buildasx.aspx?fn=http://wm.kusa.gannett.edgestreams.net/news/1159382497133-09-27-06-GunFire-12p.wmv&sp=http://wm.kusa.gannett.edgestreams.net/ads/sales/pre-stream/intelligentoffice8-06a.wmv

vailpass
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks vailpass

Yea that funeral was brutal...so senseless

Here's hoping you won't have to drape your shield again for a LONG time.

Two years ago we had to send off a fallen officer here in Phoenix; I stood with the family of one of the parent's from my son's school who is a motorcycle cop.

If you can keep a dry eye as the dispatcher called his number for the last time you have more control than I do. It's fugging haunting and sad.

ptlyon
09-27-2006, 02:02 PM
If a gunman was holding my daughter hostage, I guarantee you that would be the last thing in his life to take place. Shit like this makes me mentally unstable.

Wow - wait til the Chiefs go 0-16.

BucEyedPea
09-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Very sad. It's gettin' bad out there all around it seems with pedophiles and what not. In the town next to me a masked man, rolled back the sliding glass doors outback, went into a 12 year old girl's bedroom while sleeping and nabbed her. While dragging her out her sister in the room screamed. It alerted the parents. He took off. I now have may daughter's bedroom locked from the inside of her room every nite.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 02:03 PM

Two years ago we had to send off a fallen officer here in Phoenix; I stood with the family of one of the parent's from my son's school who is a motorcycle cop.

If you can keep a dry eye as the dispatcher called his number for the last time you have more control than I do. It's fugging haunting and sad.

Agreed...the most bizzare part of the whole thing is that it came one day shy of 19 years since the last APD officer was killed

Chief Chief
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Bailey, CO. A joint M/H school.

I get misty-eyed about my teenage years when one says "joint" and "school" in the same sentence.

bkkcoh
09-27-2006, 02:12 PM

Amen to that on the firefighter side, it is amazing how something like that brings out the emotion like itdoes. My eyes welled up just thinking about it. My father-in-law was a volunteer fire fighter and died suddenly about 3 years ago. RIP Dave. :toast: to a guy who gave more to society than he took from society.

vailpass
09-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Amen to that on the firefighter side, it is amazing how something like that brings out the emotion like itdoes. My eyes welled up just thinking about it. My father-in-law was a volunteer fire fighter and died suddenly about 3 years ago. RIP Dave. :toast: to a guy who gave more to society than he took from society.

Here's to your FIL and all the other Firefighters and Peace Officers who have fallen in service. Like the plaque says: They are heroes not for how they died but for how they lived.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Two counties SWAT teams on scene...this crap always seems to happen on my days off...dunno if that is a blessing or not

Thig Lyfe
09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but TO might have attempted suicide!!!

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 02:46 PM
ATF
Colorado State Patrol
Park County Sheriff
Jefferson County Sheriff
Clear Creek County Sheriff
Denver Police Department

All on scene

JBucc
09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
We should develop a sleeping gas for situations like this. Just pump it in and wait for everyone to go sleepy-bye and arrest the ****er.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 02:50 PM
My Counties SWAT is on scene and I'm now personally involved

JBucc
09-27-2006, 02:51 PM
My Counties SWAT is on scene and I'm now personally involvedCan you hook me up a phone line to this guy? I bet I could talk him out of it.

P.S. Go for the headshot

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I get misty-eyed about my teenage years when one says "joint" and "school" in the same sentence.

I feel your pain. LMAO

Hydrae
09-27-2006, 02:58 PM

Try to stay safe but get the job done! We'll be waiting right here for your report.

bkkcoh
09-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Here's to your FIL and all the other Firefighters and Peace Officers who have fallen in service. Like the plaque says: They are heroes not for how they died but for how they lived.

To clear something up, he didn't die in service. He died on personal time. But that is very true. :toast:

Ultra Peanut
09-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Probably an Islamoterrorist soccer mom.I know. I hate how she always takes threads off topic.

Archie F. Swin
09-27-2006, 03:10 PM
My niece graduated from that high school within the last 3 years

Lzen
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Shit like this makes me mentally unstable.

You mean more mentally unstable than usual?

Dremel
09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Clinton should have taken this guy out 8 years ago!!

BIG_DADDY
09-27-2006, 03:31 PM

There is only 2 people left in potential trouble. This is far from Colombine.How are you personally involved your just playing on the internet with the rest of us.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I just heard on the radio that one of the SWAT teams found a 30 round 9mm drum lying on the ground...unclear if they found it inside or outside the school

BIG_DADDY
09-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Clinton should have taken this guy out 8 years ago!!

Keep your day job tard boy.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
There is only 2 people left in potential trouble. This is far from Colombine.

Well you gotta count the SWAT guys in the building as well especially if this guy has a bomb

BIG_DADDY
09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Well you gotta count the SWAT guys in the building as well especially if this guy has a bomb

They will get him, dudes dead. I just hope they don't take him alive.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I just heard on the radio that one of the SWAT teams found a 30 round 9mm drum lying on the ground...unclear if they found it inside or outside the school

30 calibre now? Police are not confirming that rumor

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:36 PM
They will get him, dudes dead. I just hope they don't take him alive.

I have no doubt...

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Flight For Life Helicopter is started up (was shut down and waiting on the football field) and two strechers rushed into building...2 ambulances and fire truck pulled up

Stinger
09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
We should develop a sleeping gas for situations like this. Just pump it in and wait for everyone to go sleepy-bye and arrest the ****er.

They had this in my school it was called Algerbra II.

I say drag him/her out and all the parents and students get a baseball bat and use them as a piñata.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
1 unknown person removed from building into ambulance....second strecher has come out empty....ambulance taking person to flight for life....rumored to be the shooter

Monty
09-27-2006, 03:50 PM
According to 9news.com the shooter is in custody and 1 girl has been critically injured. No info on the other girl.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:51 PM
According to 9news.com the shooter is in custody and 1 girl has been critically injured. No info on the other girl.

Just got that on the radio

Monty
09-27-2006, 03:52 PM
they just said an explosive was set off as well.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Flight for life headed to St Anthonys central (level 1 trauma center)

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Police K9's on scene and police still standing outside building with weapons drawn

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Police Spokes person says:

Scene turned over to Park County Sheriff and CBI....news confrence to be held by Sheriff or Undersheriff in about 30 mins....."for all intnets and puposes" the situation is over no further info until 430

Monty
09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
and the bastard lived........not good. Our prayers are with the girl........

Donger
09-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I hear that those doors on Life Flight helos can be really tricky. Sometimes, they just open up by themselves.

Monty
09-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Hopefully they stay locked this time. The girl is in the copter. :)

Another explosion inside the school wouldn't be a bad idea though. ;)

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-27-2006, 04:10 PM
The gunman is dead according to KUSA

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 04:11 PM
9news reporting gunman is dead

Monty
09-27-2006, 04:13 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D

JBucc
09-27-2006, 04:16 PM
That's too bad

PBJPBJPBJPBJ

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 04:17 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Everything at this point is media speculation...gotta wait for the news conference

Irnonically this is the same small town that had the bulldozer incident several years ago

EDIT my bad that was Granby

scott free
09-27-2006, 04:18 PM
It sucks that the guy is dead, he should have had to face a life of torment and hell on earth in a federal pen, death is to easy. People that go after kids are just the absolute worst.

BIG_DADDY
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
It sucks that the guy is dead, he should have had to face a life of torment and hell on earth in a federal pen, death is to easy. People that go after kids are just the absolute worst.

No thanks. Million dollar trial and 35k a year for countless years. **** it he's dead.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
8-10 Police officers just sprinted into the front door of the school

Mecca
09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Lots of death wishing on the board today...

Donger
09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Lots of death wishing on the board today...

Yeah, and some times it works!

Woohoo!

Hopefully they can defib him and then kill him again. Maybe still have a helicopter door accident, too.

Rain Man
09-27-2006, 04:35 PM

Fer chrissakes, get off the Internet and take cover!

Mecca
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM

He's just playing Rainbow Six.

scott free
09-27-2006, 04:39 PM
For my part Mecca i never wished ill on TO much as i despise him, at the end of the day it is a game. But this guy, you bet. I have 0 sympathy for people that go after the most innocent and helpless. Want him dead.

BIG_DADDY
09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
ROFL

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Park County Sheriff:

SWAT entered room after negotaitions were cut off at 3:30 gunman shot one hostage and then shot himself....the Sheriff sounds very distrauaght.....hostage was the transported in critical condition...news reporter at hospital said he saw helicoper land and nurses/doctors performing CPR

Identity of gunman unknown

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 04:52 PM
He's just playing Rainbow Six.

Sitting at home on my day off listening to the radio watching coverage

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Used one hostage as a human shield and would not communicate with police directly....told a hostage what to say and she relayed that info to police

JBucc
09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Another thing I think we should do is have a spike in the ear part of the phone they throw in to talk to him. Then when he puts it up to his ear, shoink, impaled, situation dissolved. Or I guess it could have a gun like device in it to shoot him, and the best part is, it works like a real phone!

JBucc
09-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Used one hostage as a human shield and would not communicate with police directly....told a hostage what to say and she relayed that info to policeWell, that would ruin my death phone idea.

Donger
09-27-2006, 05:01 PM
The wounded female hostage was shot in the head.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:02 PM
The wounded female hostage was shot in the head.

d@mn it

BIG_DADDY
09-27-2006, 05:02 PM
I guess Denise posted this as an anti-gun thing. She doesn't seem overly concerned since posting.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
The FBI was on scene and offered the use of its crisis negotiators

Rain Man
09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Another thing I think we should do is have a spike in the ear part of the phone they throw in to talk to him. Then when he puts it up to his ear, shoink, impaled, situation dissolved. Or I guess it could have a gun like device in it to shoot him, and the best part is, it works like a real phone!

Would it have an MP3 player?

And seriously, what was the guy's beef? Any idea yet why he did it?

stevieray
09-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Bailey...Bailey...isn't that where the chase began where that loser shot the DPO down in Denver?

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Bailey...Bailey...isn't that where the chase began where that loser shot the DPO down in Denver?

Not sure what you are referring to...only officers shot in the last 5 years (that I recall)or so were DPD Detective Donnie Young and APD Detective Mike Thomas

Coach
09-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Still no ID of the shooter?

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:24 PM

Granby was the bulldozer rampage

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Family has requested no information be released by the hospital on the patients condition

stevieray
09-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Not sure what you are referring to...only officers shot in the last 5 years (that I recall)or so were DPD Detective Donnie Young and APD Detective Mike Thomas

Remember that skinhead who killed the DPO @ Hampden and Monaco..chase started up in hills and ended up in an apartment complex?

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Still no ID of the shooter?

and no motive...will probably be days or weeks until most of that info comes out if at all

stevieray
09-27-2006, 05:28 PM
IIRC, the girl riding with him went on trial.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Remember that skinhead who killed the DPO @ Hampden and Monaco..chase started up in hills and ended up in an apartment complex?

Officer Vanderjaght...I don't remember much about that particular incident...just a quick search revealed he was assisting in a chase that started 30 miles outside of Denver

Rain Man
09-27-2006, 05:31 PM

I remember that. Laurel something. She had been captured when the guy she was with killed the police officer, and so she got sentenced for murder.

Frankly, I think she'll be about as productive in prison as out of prison. She was a loser of extraordinary proportions.

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Matthaeus Reinhart Jaehnig

Lisl Auman

Spott
09-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Officer Vanderjaght...I don't remember much about that particular incident...just a quick search revealed he was assisting in a chase that started 30 miles outside of Denver

You mean the ex-Colts kicker is a policeman, too?

Calcountry
09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
in the same county as the previous Columbine incident. Let's hope and pray for a better outcome than before.Get out the rug.

Calcountry
09-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Probably an Islamoterrorist soccer mom.Big Daddy here in 5 4 3 2 1 lol .

Calcountry
09-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Is it T.O.?ROFLMAO. Rep.

memyselfI
09-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Wow, it sounds like alot happened when I left for two hours. I hope the girl that was shot makes it. How sad for her family.

Calcountry
09-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I take great offense at that.Why? He didn't say goofy bastards that don't wash their legs?

Iowanian
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I thought that was ALMA, a small town between Fairplay(south park) and the pass.?

Everything at this point is media speculation...gotta wait for the news conference

Irnonically this is the same small town that had the bulldozer incident several years ago

EDIT my bad that was Granby

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
I thought that was ALMA, a small town between Fairplay(south park) and the pass.?

The bulldozer? I had to do a google search and It said Granby

DenverChief
09-27-2006, 09:15 PM
BTW the girl died

Donger
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
BTW the girl died

Goddamnit.

Coach
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
FOX 4 Has reported that the victim has died of gunshot wound.

Donger
09-27-2006, 09:18 PM
BAILEY, Colo. -- One of six female students at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey who was held hostage by a gunman died after she was shot in the head as the SWAT team was moving in to end the four-hour standoff.

The student, a 16-year-old junior, died at the hospital at 4:32 p.m. Her identity is being withheld at this time, but she has a twin brother who was not at school Wednesday because he was away on a field trip.

The 35-year-old gunman was also shot and killed. It appears that he shot himself, Park County authorities said.

"I'm still somewhat shocked that this could happen in a rural county," said Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener, his voice breaking. "I don't know the identity of the gunman at this time. I don't know why he wanted to do this. And hopefully, the investigation will reveal why."

Wegener said there was no known link between the gunman and his victim.

"Unfortunately, I've been here 36 years so I do know the family," Wegener said, speaking of the victim's family. "The community's probably going to be in shock right now, rightfully so."

Donger
09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Kill this prick, again and again and again and again.

Coach
09-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Still no positive ID on the gunman?

stevieray
09-27-2006, 09:23 PM
BTW the girl died

How horrible... :huh:

how could anyone shoot a kid?

JBucc
09-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Still no positive ID on the gunman?I bet it was Jake. Couldn't take the pressure and finally snapped. BTW who changed the standard smilies?

ChiefFan31
09-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Wow, just reading this thread. That is truly sad :(

Except for the part of the gunman being dead. Hopefully SWAT made sure the job was done when they went in.

DenverChief
09-28-2006, 05:01 AM
apparently the gunman was sexually molesting the girls as well

Guru
09-28-2006, 05:17 AM
apparently the gunman was sexually molesting the girls as well
What a world. :shake:

jspchief
09-28-2006, 06:49 AM
So the gunman had time to shoot the hostage and himself... nice swat operation.

DenverChief
09-28-2006, 08:42 AM
So the gunman had time to shoot the hostage and himself... nice swat operation.

It apparently went down something like this:

Negotiations cut off
SWAT sent in
*Flashbang thrown into room
*gunman shoots at SWAT officers
gunman shoots girl
gunman shoots self

*same time

DenverChief
09-28-2006, 08:45 AM
BAILEY, Colo. — For four hours, SWAT team officers had been shouting through a classroom door, trying to communicate with the unidentified man terrorizing Platte Canyon High School. The man had a gun. He said he had a bomb. He was holding two teenage girls hostage. And he was using at least one of the girls as a human shield.

The man had walked into the high school shortly before noon Monday and had swiftly taken six girls hostage. Over the next few hours, negotiators had some success defusing the crisis; the gunman had released four of the students, one by one.

But it was now 3:30 p.m., and the stranger had stopped talking.

His last message — relayed through one of his hostages — warned that something dire would happen at 4 p.m. Then silence.

Minutes passed.

Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener made the call: He ordered the SWAT team in.

In the blur that followed, the gunman shot one of his hostages. He fired on the officers. Then he turned the gun on himself, committing suicide.

Law enforcement officers rushed the second hostage to safety. But the first girl, who had recently turned 16, was fatally wounded. She was pronounced dead at a trauma center in Denver, about 35 miles north.

The girl's name was not released, at her family's request. A family friend described her as bubbly and bright. "Every time you see her, she gives you a hug," Lynn Bigham said.

The tragedy left this rustic mountain town — and its small sheriff's department — stunned and grieving. Sheriff Wegener knew the victim's family well. His son had been in the high school. He could not hold his voice steady as he talked to reporters; his eyes welled often, and his hands ceaselessly folded and unfolded a page torn from a legal pad.

"I'll be honest," Wegener said, describing his emotions when the first 911 call came from the school. "I was scared to death."

Hours after the standoff ended, authorities had few answers for this community of less than 10,000.

They had not yet identified the gunman, described as a male at least 30 years old.

"At this point, we would consider [him] to be nothing more than a John Doe," Steve Johnson of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation said at an evening news conference.

Authorities had not identified a potential motive either, or possible links between the shooter and his hostages. They had not even finished clearing the area; a bomb squad unit was continuing to search the high school and adjacent middle school for possible explosives well into the night. Both schools were to be closed the rest of the week.

"I don't know why he wanted to do this," Wegener said, blinking hard. The only demand the sheriff said he heard the gunman make during the long, tense afternoon was this: "He wanted us to back off."

The incident brought back the horror of the shootings at Columbine High School, less than an hour's drive away. On April 20, 1999, two students killed 13 people at Columbine, in the Denver suburb of Littleton, before committing suicide.

The Columbine siege forced a radical change in law enforcement's approach to this type of crisis. Back then, the protocol was for first responders to set up a perimeter, call a SWAT team and then wait at a distance. But that response was widely criticized for giving the teenage gunmen time to roam the high school, methodically killing victim after victim.

After Columbine, law enforcement across the nation began training to move in at once and try to contain the shooter.

"That was the No. 1 lesson learned from Columbine," said Kenneth Trump, president of National School Safety and Security Services, a consulting firm based in Cleveland.

Wegener and his deputies had trained on this new protocol — known as the "active shooter rapid response." They had also run drills with the staff at Platte Canyon High School, including one last month, before school started.

As a result, Wegener said, they were able to contain the gunman and his hostages in a single classroom almost immediately, with help from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, the lead agency responding to the Columbine shooting seven years ago. School authorities announced a "code white" — signifying a lockdown — and deputies were able to evacuate the rest of the students and staff safely. The students were taken by bus to a nearby elementary school, where parents were waiting to hug them close.

"Based on what I could see from afar," Trump said, "both school and law enforcement actions appeared to follow the textbook model of how we train."

Asked whether he was second-guessing his decision to send in the SWAT team, Wegener looked up slowly, his face drained.

"Yes," he said.

And then, even more quietly: "Of course."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-school28sep28,0,5905527.story?coll=la-home-headlines

DenverChief
09-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Park County Sheriff @ 09:00 AM:

Gunman was 54 yo Duane Morrison

http://www.9news.com/media/2006September23020019/f4ed69bf-0abe-421a-005d-6bd5d0721a4c.jpg

6 to 9 rows of desks between gunmen and SWAT officers in anticipation of a SWAT response

victim was trying to run away when she was shot in the back of the head

officers then moved into the room after first gunshot as officers got close enough there was a silmutanious exchange gunman shoots self and officers shoot gunman

CBI running a parallel investigation with Park County S.O.

ATF investigating the firearms aspect..how did he get them?

Hog Farmer
09-28-2006, 09:14 AM
This is so sad, there are a lot of nut cases out there. I hope god gives the parents of the deceased hostage the strength to make it through this. It would be tuff.

Hog Farmer
09-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I just want you to know ,DenverChief , that we really appreciate what you guys do out there!

DenverChief
09-28-2006, 09:26 AM
I just want you to know ,DenverChief , that we really appreciate what you guys do out there!

Thank you that means a lot :thumb:

Archie F. Swin
09-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Park County Sheriff @ 09:00 AM:

Gunman was 54 yo Duane Morrison

http://www.9news.com/media/2006September23020019/f4ed69bf-0abe-421a-005d-6bd5d0721a4c.jpg

6 to 9 rows of desks between gunmen and SWAT officers in anticipation of a SWAT response

victim was trying to run away when she was shot in the back of the head

officers then moved into the room after first gunshot as officers got close enough there was a silmutanious exchange gunman shoots self and officers shoot gunman

CBI running a parallel investigation with Park County S.O.

ATF investigating the firearms aspect..how did he get them?

fukcing prick!

DenverChief
02-20-2007, 01:13 AM
How are you personally involved your just playing on the internet with the rest of us.

Uh I personally know each and every TAC team member and a few are my direct supervisors

Guru
02-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Uh I personally know each and every TAC team member and a few are my direct supervisors
Some can really stick their foot in their mouth.

chagrin
02-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Oh look. The vulture is circling.

Heh, praying too, I wonder who/what to?

chagrin
02-20-2007, 05:28 AM
This is terrible, she was running away too; things like this make me angry as ever!

jspchief
02-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Uh I personally know each and every TAC team member and a few are my direct supervisorsDid you bump this thread just to fan the flames on a 4 month old pissing match? I'm pretty sure no one gives a shit at this point.

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2007, 12:04 PM
The bulldozer? I had to do a google search and It said GranbyWait... you mean KILLDOZER?

6/4/04 NEVAR FORGET