PDA

View Full Version : New Metallica

DMAC
09-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Apparently they are taking the songs that Green Day threw in the trash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snPAOzp2YOA

:spock: :doh!:

Fish
09-27-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Metallica died in 1991.....

JBucc
09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I got to the "Ohh yeah, whoa oh whoa" part and closed it. I guess if you can be successful anywhere it's in Asia, people over there will listen to anything.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm pretty sure Metallica died in 1991.....

Agreed......love everything up until Load.

So whats the age that people should just stop rocking?? I think once you reach 40 or so you pretty much lose all relevancy. Thats not meant as a slam, its just a reality. Other things take priority in life.

On the other hand, the Stones are still doing it.....but to be honest, they havent made anything worth buying in about 25 years.

Reaper16
09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
To be fair, all of the "whaoaoaoao" stuff will be filled in with actual lyrics later, when the songs are complete.

RedandGold
09-27-2006, 07:36 PM
For fans of the pre-Black Album Metallica, this is a pretty good rendition of Orion from the same show in Seoul. There will never be another Cliff Burton, but Rob does a damn fine job.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4Qg_LASANw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4Qg_LASANw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ChiefFripp
09-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd be willing to forget the last 18 years of Metallica if they just released something as good as theirfirst 4.

Hard to believe that Metallica has sucked for almost 20 years...

'Metallica' without 'Metal' is just 'lica'. They can lica my lovepump.

ChiefFripp
09-27-2006, 08:28 PM
For fans of the pre-Black Album Metallica, this is a pretty good rendition of Orion from the same show in Seoul. There will never be another Cliff Burton, but Rob does a damn fine job.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4Qg_LASANw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4Qg_LASANw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Is it just me or does Lars kind of suck now?

DMAC
09-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Is it just me or does Lars kind of suck now?Now? In my opinion he should have stuck to tennis.

SnakeXJones
09-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Now? In my opinion he should have stuck to tennis.

Or he should just go to law school and figure new ways to sue his fans.

DMAC
09-27-2006, 09:06 PM
I think once you reach 40 or so you pretty much lose all relevancy.

For the most part, you are right.

But some of the best bands out there are 40+

For example:

U2

TOOL

Pearl Jam

Dark Horse
09-27-2006, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=Deberg_1990]Agreed......love everything up until Load.

So whats the age that people should just stop rocking?? I think once you reach 40 or so you pretty much lose all relevancy.

That depends entirely on the person although no one knows how old he really is Ronnie dio didn't really start rockin till he was almost 40. Bands like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Ozzy, Sammy Hagar, Van Halen and Kiss to name a few were still rockin well past 40

old_geezer
09-28-2006, 07:21 AM
So whats the age that people should just stop rocking?? I think once you reach 40 or so you pretty much lose all relevancy. Thats not meant as a slam, its just a reality. Other things take priority in life.

Spoken with the true arrogance of youth, and that's not meant as a slam anymore than the origional statement. I am 60 years young and was just recently turned on to the pleasures of hard rock and heavy metal. These types of music I steadfastly refused to even play earlier in life due to my mistaken belief only crackheads or"evil" people listened to this type of music.

Long story short: 3 years ago I started a new job with new (much younger) co-workers. Totally new environment - instead of condemming their music I quietly listened to what they listened to. I asked for recommendations on the better bands to listen to to get started. I now own about 75 cds that my pastor would probably ask me to burn if he knew I had them. :D Among my favorites right now are AC/DC; Metallica; Kamelot;Pink Floyd; and Rob Zombie.

As a :skip: among the metalheads I enjoy the older bands. I do feel a little uncomfortable watching the "kids" jump around while it doesn't bother me to watch Motorhead or Megadeath at all. Among the newer bands I reallly enjoy Hinder and most of Korn.

There is rock after 40 :thumb:

old_geezer
09-28-2006, 07:24 AM
As a sidenote I should add that I have met a whole new group of people my age (or close to it) who feel the same way that I do. There are a lot of us old geezers out there if you bother to look.

DMAC
09-28-2006, 09:16 AM
So whats the age that people should just stop rocking?? I think once you reach 40 or so you pretty much lose all relevancy.

Hmmm, what is it you are all trying to say?

old_geezer
09-28-2006, 09:40 AM
[/b]

Hmmm, what is it you are all trying to say?

I believe what we are trying to say is that 40 seems to be an arbitrary cut-off date for enjoying or playing rock music for someone UNDER 40.

For those of us over 40 we call BS :D

InChiefsHell
09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
There is also the first new song out there too...it's like 9+ minutes, and is a total embarassment. THere is a line that says "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to day to say farewell to ourselves..."

Couldn't agree more. Man, they just suck now. The black album was the last thing they did worth listening too, but the Pinnacle was Master...

unlurking
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Can't check the song right now, but they've been playing "The New Song (Donnington) on Sirius 27. It is absolutely horrible. James should quit trying to sing.

InChiefsHell
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it's like they are regressing to high school days when people TRIED to be cool...they seem to be trying too hard.

I think they are like the Brett Favre of metal...shoulda hung it up awhile ago.

DMAC
09-28-2006, 02:32 PM
...shoulda hung it up awhile ago.No, they should keep making fools of themselves until the day they die....they deserve it.

Dark Horse
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I think us 40 something guys may have gotten a little off topic here but let me reiterate the point.You don't have to be young to enjoy good music when I blew out those 40 candles a year ago I didn't change I still love my metal loud and wild. I'm not so sure Metallica was ever really all that talented to begin with they were just loud, fast and different when they came out. and as one who always cared more about the music than the image or popularity of a band their sheer brash difference was refreshing in a time of spandex and hairspray.

big nasty kcnut
09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
They quit being good when they decide to be about the image and going to psych doc. Let your anger build up. Stop being centered.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Let's face it, they went downhill after Master of Puppets, although there next 2 albums were good.

unlurking
09-29-2006, 08:12 AM
They went downhill after Cliff died.

If you check the credits for all their songs, Burton is given credit for just about every song up through the black album. My guess is Justice and Black were the leftovers he had sitting around. Kind of like Courtney Love's band hole diving into the Nirvana too crappy to publish collection.

InChiefsHell
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I think us 40 something guys may have gotten a little off topic here but let me reiterate the point.You don't have to be young to enjoy good music when I blew out those 40 candles a year ago I didn't change I still love my metal loud and wild. I'm not so sure Metallica was ever really all that talented to begin with they were just loud, fast and different when they came out. and as one who always cared more about the music than the image or popularity of a band their sheer brash difference was refreshing in a time of spandex and hairspray.

I get what you are saying, but I have to disagree on the talent part. They were not only different, but they were obviously very talented. Cliff's bass lines and the guitar riffs were not only interesting to listen to, they were and are a BITCH to play. They got better as they went along, but as someone else said (and I did too) Master was their greatest album. But IMO, thier most technical album was Justice. Regardless, it seems impossible to say that they were not that talented.

Oh, and I'm 35, so I'm not too far behind you...did you think this way about them back then, or is this more of a reflection back on them? I remember being blown away by the way each album progressed. I couldn't wait for the next one. Then the black album happened and I knew it was probably the beginning of the end.

RedandGold
09-29-2006, 12:39 PM
They went downhill after Cliff died.

If you check the credits for all their songs, Burton is given credit for just about every song up through the black album. My guess is Justice and Black were the leftovers he had sitting around. Kind of like Courtney Love's band hole diving into the Nirvana too crappy to publish collection.

I definitely preferred the albums with Cliff to anything that was produced since. However, James and Lars were the two that dominated the songwriting since the band's inception.

Cliff received credit on most of the songs on Ride the Lightning, but that was the one exception. He is only credited with one song on Kill 'Em All and three of the eight on Master of Puppets. "To Live is to Die" is the only song where he is credited on Justice, and he is not credited on any of the songs on the Black Album.

Since Ride the Lightning is my favorite of their albums, it probably isn't a coincidence that this is the one where Cliff had the most influence. (I consider Master to be a very close second)

jlscorpio
09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Ride is my fave, too. Its the album that seperated them from the Overkills/Megadeths/Exoduses of the genre. Regardless of what they have become, the first 3 records are hard rock/heavy metal immortality.

Dark Horse
09-29-2006, 04:42 PM
I get what you are saying, but I have to disagree on the talent part. They were not only different, but they were obviously very talented. Cliff's bass lines and the guitar riffs were not only interesting to listen to, they were and are a BITCH to play. They got better as they went along, but as someone else said (and I did too) Master was their greatest album. But IMO, thier most technical album was Justice. Regardless, it seems impossible to say that they were not that talented.

Oh, and I'm 35, so I'm not too far behind you...did you think this way about them back then, or is this more of a reflection back on them? I remember being blown away by the way each album progressed. I couldn't wait for the next one. Then the black album happened and I knew it was probably the beginning of the end.

I think my feelings are mostly in retrospect. At first I thought they had re invented Metal but now they are not one of those who I regularly plug in and listen too like sabbath, Dio, Judas Priest, Maiden Metallica's songs though a bitch to play, really don't inspire me anymore. In the same token opera is a bitch to sing but it doesn't do much for me either

ChiefFripp
10-01-2006, 09:19 AM
This song wouldn't be too out of place on Kill Em' All which is one of my two favorite albums by these ****ers. Kind of like Misfits meet early Met.

watching that video though I get the impression Kirk and Trejeo(sp?) aren't really into it. Maybe they're just tired old f*cks.

Halfcan
10-02-2006, 11:41 AM
The lyrics suck-the song sucks-they suck.

Halfcan
10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Is it just me or does Lars kind of suck now?

He has always been a very average drummer.

InChiefsHell
10-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I think my feelings are mostly in retrospect. At first I thought they had re invented Metal but now they are not one of those who I regularly plug in and listen too like sabbath, Dio, Judas Priest, Maiden Metallica's songs though a bitch to play, really don't inspire me anymore. In the same token opera is a bitch to sing but it doesn't do much for me either

Agreed, but I would never look at an opera singer and say they were not particularly talented. It's funny that you mention what you plug in and listen to...your right, I really don't listen to very much Metallica either...

....hmmmm....:hmmm:

DMAC
10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Agreed, but I would never look at an opera singer and say they were not particularly talented. It's funny that you mention what you plug in and listen to...your right, I really don't listen to very much Metallica either...

....hmmmm....:hmmm:Every time I listen now I am reminded that they are greedy no good POS. It is hard to enjoy the old stuff (as great as it is) because of this I think.

InChiefsHell
10-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Every time I listen now I am reminded that they are greedy no good POS. It is hard to enjoy the old stuff (as great as it is) because of this I think.

That, and like I said before, they seem like old guys trying too hard to be cool. I dunno...

...on another note, have any of you heard of Beatallica? Beatles\Metallica band...absolutely brilliant and funny as hell. I guess Metallica gave them their blessing, but Paul McCartney and\or Sony was suing them for awhile. Check em out:

www.beatallica.com

All free downloads. THe songs are parodies of the Beatles meet Metallica. Awesome stuff.

Dark Horse
10-04-2006, 11:15 PM

....hmmmm....:hmmm:

Perhaps a bad analogy, I guess what I was trying to say is they are not one of those bands who I will never get tired of.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
That, and like I said before, they seem like old guys trying too hard to be cool. I dunno...

...on another note, have any of you heard of Beatallica? Beatles\Metallica band...absolutely brilliant and funny as hell. I guess Metallica gave them their blessing, but Paul McCartney and\or Sony was suing them for awhile. Check em out:

www.beatallica.com

All free downloads. THe songs are parodies of the Beatles meet Metallica. Awesome stuff.

Yeah Beatallica is great and funny too, in a Beck kind of way.