PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Client of Choice?

DaFace
09-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Just curious what everyone prefers. I've been a BitComet user for a while now, but I've really not messed with many of the others. For those who have used more than one, what are the advantages or disadvantages of each one?

EDIT: I forgot to add an "other" option. If you use something other than these, just post it in a reply. :banghead:

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-28-2006, 11:25 PM
i use torrentportal, but i'm not a very big fan of it, in all honesty.

DaFace
09-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Torrent Portal is a torrent indexing site - not an client that does the actual downloading part. That would be another question entirely, though. I'm a big fan of ISOhunt and torrentz.com. Between those two, I can find just about anything!

Basileus777
09-28-2006, 11:38 PM
uTorrent is the best and takes up the least system resources. Azureus is the next best.

SLAG
09-28-2006, 11:48 PM
uTorrent is the best and takes up the least system resources. Azureus is the next best.

This is correct

I use utorrent for windows and I run Azureus in linux

both very good-

Azureus is just a bit more technical

unlurking
09-29-2006, 07:09 AM
I use Azureus mainly so that I can have one interface to use on a dual boot system (XP / SLack). It was one of the first with a clean customizable setup that was platform independent. It is a bit of a resource hog though.

JBucc
09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
BitTorrent. Nice and simple.

StcChief
09-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I use Azureus mainly so that I can have one interface to use on a dual boot system (XP / SLack). It was one of the first with a clean customizable setup that was platform independent. It is a bit of a resource hog though.

check their wiki page and configure to
run it as 64M JVM

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Reduce_memory_usage

I had issues until I tweaked the parameters. Now it's rock solid.

DaFace
09-29-2006, 06:02 PM
After considering the results of this, I decided I should go ahead and actually try out Azureus and utorrent. My impressions are basically:

Azureus does a pretty good job, but people aren't far off regarding the resources it uses. I've got plenty of RAM in my system, so it's not a big deal, but I still didn't care for it much.

utorrent was more to my liking. The interface is clean and easy to understand, plus it is simply TINY when it comes to resources used (the whole program is around 200k). I was skeptical when I first opened it up, though. I've been downloading a pretty big torrent (20 gigs), and I had been getting 60-70k/s through BitComet the whole time. When I opened it up in utorrent, it was chugging along at a whopping 5-10k/s for a while. Eventually, though, it got going and was every bit as fast (if not faster) than BitComet.

For now, I'm switching to utorrent. Thanks for all the input!

jspchief
09-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I use Utorrent and Bitcomet both. I started doing it to see which I preferred, and based on the last 6 months or so, I'd say I prefer utorrent slightly mostly due to the interface. But it's really just a comfort thing, nothing concrete.

Overall, both are solid IMO.

Mr. Laz
09-30-2006, 11:33 AM
yep

theultimatekcchiefsfan
09-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Utorrent. Hands down.

ChiefFan31
10-06-2006, 02:30 AM
Azureus