PDA

View Full Version : My best guess... Gunther is gone

cdcox
12-29-2000, 11:18 PM
Carl is #1 a competitor. He HATES losing. I don't buy for an instant this BS about Carl not wanting to admit he made a mistake in hiring Gun. Yes Carl cares about his reputation, but missing the playoffs the last 3 years, and 4 of the last 5 years is eating at his gut. Losses to SF, NE, SD, and ATL only added to his antacid bill. After the ATL game, Carl said he needed some time to let the emotions subside before he discussed Gun's future. I don't think that Carl's initial emotional response was to cover his butt by retaining Gun. A competitor just doesn't think this way and Carl is #1 a competitor. Furthermore the time needed to let emotions subside has passed. If Carl wants to confirm Gun as his coach that announcement could have come any time this week. Every day that passes makes the cloud over Gunther grow darker and deeper. If Carl is serious about keeping Gun, he as nothing to lose and everything to gain by making the announcement early. By waiting, I think Carl is actually waiting for the right moment to nab one of the assistants that is still "in the tournament". If he cans Gun before the playoffs start, he would be hanging out in the open without a coach for (several?) weeks without a coach, waiting for his man to finish his season so he could be signed. That is not Carl's style. No, he will wait a while until he can ink his man within a few days of the HC opening becoming available.<P>

cdcox
12-29-2000, 11:19 PM
Just a bit more...

Furthermore, Carl just inked a new 5 yr deal as GM with Mr. Hunt. He can't afford to lose a year on his latest 5 yr plan to bring a championship to KC. The future is now. Who really thinks Gunther, as much as I like him, will be lofting the Lombardi trophey above his head if he coached 100 years (barrowing a quote from the Coach himself). No, it ain't gonna happen. Carl knows this, and that is why the decision has been made in Carl's mind that Gunther is no longer the coach of the KC Chiefs.

TEX
12-29-2000, 11:22 PM
I hope you're right but I'll hate to see Gun running Denver's defense next year.

cdcox
12-29-2000, 11:33 PM
Yeah, TX, I thought the same thing about Carl heading up the Bolts. Robinson is in the doghouse in Denver, and I'd hate to see a, shall we say, "motivated" Gunther leading the Denver D ... OUCH. The guy knows D, but I think is he out of his league when in comes to running the show.<P>

milkman
12-30-2000, 07:15 AM
I'd rather see Goonther running a motivated D in Denver next season, than an unmotivated, uinspired team in KC for one more year.
Hell, he's supposed to have such negative feelings in his gut for Al Davis, and yet was unable to get the team up for the TRaiders.
I'll take my chances with MaGoo in another team's skybox, thank you.

------------------

Red Eyes
lost and found

Luzap
12-30-2000, 07:51 AM
I want Vermiel.

Period.

Luz
unambiguous...

G_Man
12-30-2000, 02:45 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,3274233_59,00.html

DJay23
12-30-2000, 08:20 PM
I would also love Vermeil. The situation seems ideal for him to come to KC with so many of his long time friends already here and a talented team in need of direction.

We can only hope Mrs. Vermeil approves and Carl isn't as proud as he seems to be.

TEX
12-30-2000, 09:52 PM
IMHO, Vermeil is not worth the compensation that the Chiefs would owe the Rams. This might not be a good thing. What is good is that Gun's job seems to be on the line and no doubt that the Stooges will he history!

Otter
12-31-2000, 12:54 PM
Just got this off NFLScoop.com. If this man comes back to coach I think I'm gonna cry.

PETERSON DEMANDS COACHING STAFF CHANGES

Defensive Coordinator Kurt Schottenheimer Being Hunted By Kansas
by Marty McDonald

Posted on 12/31/2000

While you were reading our Friday morning story about a possible shake-up at
Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Gunther Cunningham and President/GM Carl Peterson sat down and talked about the upcoming season. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that Peterson is
demanding Cunningham to fire almost his entire coaching staff if he wants to retain his job. Cunningham still has two years left on his contract and has spent the last week evaluating his staff.

gh4chiefs
12-31-2000, 01:46 PM
Cdcox,

Here's hoping your best guess is right on the money!

Happy New Year everyone!

------------------
Gary

Packfan
12-31-2000, 06:31 PM
I think a coaching change will be made within 40 days. Unfortunately, Carl has to big of an ego to think the problem runs deeper than that. Thanks to his questionable drafting, horrible cap management, and awful trading, Peterson's Chiefs are a bloody mess. NO coach is going to turn it around immediately. There are to many problems. The number one problem is salary cap. The second is the defense. There are only two players on defense right now (Hicks Edwards). The third problem is the QB. Do you pay a career underachiever the kind of money he will most certainly ask for or do you let him go and begin to correct your cap problem? You guys know where I stand.

Lots of problems. A change is the coaching staff isnt going to turn this team into a super bowl team. Thats a fact. However, it will most certainly correct problems such as dicipline, being ready to play, and strategy.
Unless Carl goes cheap and hires someone from within again.

TEX
01-01-2001, 12:37 AM
Packfan,
I agree with most of what you said except It's not as bad as you make it sound. I'd also keep Elvis and get him a legit game - breaker in the backfield with him. Then I'd draft DEFENSE! I'd cut my losses NOW with BOTH Chet and Williams. The Chiefs CAN be better with the firing of the coordinators and Stock. I;m afraid that Gun will remain because of Carl's ego, however, he did get 5 more years and that is enough time to turn things around.*grin*

Baby Lee
01-01-2001, 07:28 PM
I was watching Starz the other day when it came to me.

Gun is Mr. Coach Klein
Maz is the Waterboy

Bob Dole
01-02-2001, 10:16 AM
Peter King has some interesting comments on the Coaching Carousel. Among other things, that Parcells and Vermeil will neither one be coming to KC.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2000/12/31/king_mmqb_dec30/

Luzap
01-02-2001, 10:34 AM
Peter King has been wrong about the Chiefs more often than he's right.

Luz

ct
01-02-2001, 10:42 AM
This is the same Peter King who picked ALL the road teams to win on Wild Card Weekend.
DOH!!!

Anyway, my gut feels just the opposite as yours cd. I have this sinking feeling that Gun WILL be back in 2001. But I still hold out hope the entire staff will get the boot, and CP is just waiting for Baltimore to drop out of the playoffs to nab Marvin Lewis our new HC!!!

ct

Bob Dole
01-02-2001, 12:09 PM
Bob Dole wasn't advocating belief of King's comments...just pointing out some interesting commentary.

Jeez...maybe a week without electricity wasn't such a bad thing.

Brock
01-02-2001, 12:14 PM
King usually knows what he is talking about. And picking winners of games is not the same thing as coming by information through inside sources.

cdcox
01-02-2001, 03:57 PM
Another reason I think Gun is on the way out: the persistent and wide-spread rumors that Carl will require Gun to can his staff. To do this and retain Gun really doesn't make sense. Presumably the new OC and DC are going to put in new schemes. It takes time to put these in, work the kinks out, get the right personnel for the new schemes and make improvements. So it is unlikely that we will become much better next season, especially with the sour relationship between Gun and some of the players. Suppose KC finishes out of the playoffs again at 8-8 or 9-7. Do you say, "We improved" wait another year for the revamped Gunthers to deliver? Unless Carl is ready to answer yes to that question, which carries considerable risk (what if KC misses the playoffs again), better to fire Gun now. <P>

TEX
01-03-2001, 01:12 AM
My bet is that MaGoo and Raye will both be retained while Kurt and Stock are fired. MaGoo will point out the "explosion" of the passing game as his reason for keeping Raye. fact is, it was by default and it didn't produce points once teams started defending it. No Balance at all on offense for 3 straight seasons is more than enough for me. The fact that Gun kept this staff together is reason enough for him to get canned IMHO. That's how I see it anyway. <BR>