PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Rock Vocalist

Dark Horse
09-30-2006, 05:25 PM
You hear and read a lot of discussion on great guitarists like Jimmi, Eddie etc. but not to much discussion on vocalists.
Who do you think is the most talented vocalist in rock history?
I would have to say Geoff Tate of Queensryche. He has a very strong voice and almost unhuman range I can't think of anyone in Rock who can hold a note longer either, however I can only listen to so much of him before I get a head-ache

Reaper16
09-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Geoff Tate is a beast of a man, but I'll refrain from answering any metal singers.

So I say Freddie Mercury.

ZepSinger
09-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Geoff Tate is a beast of a man, but I'll refrain from answering any metal singers.

Freddy- hands down.

Z

Oz_Chief
09-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Paul Rodgers

That might rub some of the Freddie fans the wrong way because of his current gig, but Paul has a great voice.

Dark Horse
09-30-2006, 05:55 PM
I havn't listened to Queen since about 1981 so Freddy slipped my mind, but I dont think he quite has the versatility of Tate.

Dark Horse
09-30-2006, 05:59 PM

Do you feel metal singers rely too much on distortion?

headsnap
09-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I would have to say Geoff Tate of Queensryche. He has a very strong voice and almost unhuman range I can't think of anyone in Rock who can hold a note longer either, however I can only listen to so much of him before I get a head-ache
Geoff Tate, the Mariah Carey of metal...

Demonpenz
09-30-2006, 06:14 PM
STEVE PERRY

Reaper16
09-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Do you feel metal singers rely too much on distortion?
No, I just exclude metal from discussions of rock music. Its very well known that I consider metal too diverse to simply be a subgenre of rock. Queensryche = metal which does not = rock.

Demonpenz
09-30-2006, 06:27 PM
there one song by queensryche that is a b side i think called silent lucity it's pretty good.

Reaper16
09-30-2006, 06:40 PM
there one song by queensryche that is a b side i think called silent lucity it's pretty good.
I actually can't tell if that's a joke post or not. Weird.

jagerdrinker
09-30-2006, 06:41 PM
My lady took me to see Queensryche for my birthday, August 30th, this year. Let me tell you this...if anyone else can hit notes like that, I have not heard them. Tate flat out breaks glass...and has more power than any other vocalist I've heard.

Nzoner
09-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Add another for Freddie

old_geezer
09-30-2006, 07:10 PM
I had never heard of Queensryche or Geoff Taye before this year. All I know is that when I first heard Queensryche I thought to myself that the lead singer had the most powerful and diverse voice I had ever heard. Later I found out it was Geoff Tate. Silent Lucidity is a great song but he shows incredible versitility in "Breaking the Silence". Hell, he rocks in everything he sings.

KCWolfman
09-30-2006, 07:38 PM
You guys mention rock and all of history, yet you only go back 20 or 30 years. I don't think you can successfully argue any as the greatest vocalist of rock. Although you can argue a particular facet of vocals for any that you have already listed as well as those below.

John Lee Hooker (Brought Blues to Rock with that deep pull. Not tightly defined as rock performer, so I can see him being skipped over)
Ian Gillan - Deep Purple (Pavarotti called him a genius. Who's to argue with the greatest tenor of our lives?)
Roy Khan - Kamelot (his voice just stays with you. The first album was poorly produced and his voice is the only thing that stands out in the entire production)
Little Richard (the intensity of southern black gospel fused with rocks sexiest lyrics to date in the early era of rock)
Ray Davies (Kinks)
Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad)
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
Bon Scott (AC/DC)
Nick Cave (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds)
Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra)
Philip Bailey (Earth Wind and Fire)
Smokey Robinson (The Miracles)
Marvin Gaye (Solo)
Cedric Bixlar-Zivalla (The Mars Volta
Kevin Cronin (early releases only, IMO - REO Speedwagon)
Brandon Boyd (Incubus)
Klaus Meine (Scorpions)

That was off the top of my head and I could make an argument for each to be the singular best vocalist of rock of all time.

Rock has been inundated with vocals more than any other type of music in the history of mankind (Again, IMO). Before rock, there were expectations and preforms to be met if you sang. Rock said "F*ck that, I can't warble and hold the octave 2 B flat for more than 4 seconds - but I can do something you have never heard with this squeal that actually harmonizes with the guitar." Rock vocals gave us a vocals buffet where only meatloaf existed before.

KCWolfman
09-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Oh, I guess I should have said that my particular favorite, most powerful, and most influential vocalist of all time is Roy Orbison.

FAX
09-30-2006, 08:19 PM
These are all great selections. But, I think you have to break down various genres of rock. There's a lot of variance.

Who's the guy who sang for Foreigner? They were a shameless and an overly commercial band particularly at the end, but he had an excellent tenor rock style in my opinion.

I also would have to throw Steven Tyler into the mix.

FAX

Bowser
09-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Another vote for Geoff Tate. Seen them live twice, and both times Tate brought it. Truly an underappreciated vocalist and group.

How about Bruce Dickinson of Maiden? He has a powerful voice, perfect for that band.

Dark Horse
09-30-2006, 08:59 PM
No, I just exclude metal from discussions of rock music. Its very well known that I consider metal too diverse to simply be a subgenre of rock. Queensryche = metal which does not = rock.

you're preaching to the choir brother metal is it's own style of music altogether

Dark Horse
09-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Another vote for Geoff Tate. Seen them live twice, and both times Tate brought it. Truly an underappreciated vocalist and group.

How about Bruce Dickinson of Maiden? He has a powerful voice, perfect for that band.

I love Bruce Dickinson but he is not the most talented IMHO

Sam Hall
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I'll throw Robert Plant into the discussion. I can feel the emotion in his voice. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Maynard James Keenan. Look at the difference in style between A Perfect Circle and Tool.

Reaper16
09-30-2006, 11:25 PM
I'll throw Robert Plant into the discussion. I can feel the emotion in his voice. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Maynard James Keenan. Look at the difference in style between A Perfect Circle and Tool.
Keenan is continually impressive. He's seriously really good.

Halfcan
09-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Geddy Lee-by far, you guys can still argue about who is second best though.

QuikSsurfer
09-30-2006, 11:43 PM
if we're just talking about "rock" vocalist, then it has got to be Chino Mareno.. for me

DMAC
09-30-2006, 11:59 PM
**I'll put mine in for Maynard James Keenan.**

Serious talent there. I really think that guy can do anything with his voice.

I have heard some people say Chris Cornell...but I have heard him in concert, and it sucked. Sounded like a sheep getting it's skin sheered.

listopencil
10-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Greatest or most technically proficient? Freddy Mercury could make me want to laugh and cry at the same time. Janis Joplin makes feel like I'm truly alive. Roy Orbison, I swear, sounds like what an angel must sound like. Pat Benetar had a great voice but I'd rather listen to any of those three over her.

Fruit Ninja
10-01-2006, 02:20 AM
Aaron Lewis of Staind. He's badass. Though i dont care for thier newer music, He got off in Dysfuctional and Break the Cycle. 2 of my favorite albums

KCWolfman
10-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Greatest or most technically proficient? Freddy Mercury could make me want to laugh and cry at the same time. Janis Joplin makes feel like I'm truly alive. Roy Orbison, I swear, sounds like what an angel must sound like. Pat Benetar had a great voice but I'd rather listen to any of those three over her.
:clap: :thumb:

KCWolfman
10-01-2006, 08:39 AM
These are all great selections. But, I think you have to break down various genres of rock. There's a lot of variance.

Who's the guy who sang for Foreigner? They were a shameless and an overly commercial band particularly at the end, but he had an excellent tenor rock style in my opinion.

I also would have to throw Steven Tyler into the mix.

FAX
Lou Gramm

Bald but Beautiful
10-01-2006, 08:40 AM
More names.
Rod Stewart
the aforementioned Lou Gramm of Foreigner fame
Pat Benetar
Eddie Vedder
Steve Marriott
Corey Glover
The Wilson sister who is the lead singer for Heart (Ann?)
Rob Halford
John Lennon
Roger Daltrey
James Taylor

ChiefFripp
10-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Too many people have impressed me at one stage or another of their singing career for me to choose a "best".

But what the heck...Shirley Manson

Dark Horse
10-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Boy there are a lot of different opinions and the singers are about as diverse as it gets.
Let me pose this question, if you handed each of these vocalists material from each of the others which ones could sing all of it pretty well? I think the list would get pretty small.

MichaelH
10-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I like classic rock and I agree about Freddie Mercury. But I really like Chris Cornell of Soundgarden and his new band which escapes me at this moment.

jlscorpio
10-01-2006, 03:30 PM
David Lee Roth. Voice suited VH perfectly, and had more charisma in his little finger than most had in their entire body of work.

StcChief
10-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Rock vocals:
Roger Daltrey (The Who)
Bruce Springsteen (with Estreet Band)
David Lee Roth only with Van Halen
Freddie Mercury (Queen)

Blues:
John Lee Hooker
B.B.King

Eric Clapton

Brock
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
The List
1. Elvis
End of List

Everybody else.

KCWolfman
10-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Boy there are a lot of different opinions and the singers are about as diverse as it gets.
Let me pose this question, if you handed each of these vocalists material from each of the others which ones could sing all of it pretty well? I think the list would get pretty small.
I don't think it would at all. Artists have covered other artists all the time, and when given it their own flavor done a great of it. Such as Nazareth with Love Hurts and Led Zeppelin with multiple blues tunes. While Lyle Lovett sounds nothing like Loretta Lynn, his version of Stand By Your Man makes him one of the greatest vocalists of all time, IMO.

Baby Lee
10-02-2006, 02:00 PM
While Lyle Lovett sounds nothing like Loretta Lynn, his version of Stand By Your Man makes him one of the greatest vocalists of all time, IMO.
Does he sound anything like Tammy Wynette? ;)

As for best vocalist, can't believe it took so long to at least mention Cornell. Especially since someone was already in the neighborhood with Eddie Vedder.

And Chris is presently with Audioslave.

MOhillbilly
10-02-2006, 04:03 PM
i was worried there was gonna be no Elvis love......silly me.

thats the list.

He aint The King of Rock for shits and giggles.

Baby Lee
10-02-2006, 04:05 PM
The List
1. Elvis
End of List

Everybody else.
Hey Elvis, you need to win this race.

"We gotta win this race."

Hey Elvis, want some lemonade?

"Le-monade, . . that cool refreshing drink"

Reaper16
10-02-2006, 04:24 PM
"Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me, you see.
Straight up racist that sucker was simple and plain. Mother**** him and John Wayne" - Chuck D, Public Enemy, "Fight the Power"

I've got nothin' against Elvis, but I couldn't pass up a chance to use that line.

Scorp
10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
It is a tie between Geoff Tate, and Sebastian Bach of skid row. Listen to "Wasted Time" or "Quicksand Jesus" from Skid Row. Powerful powerful voice.

kc rush
10-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Iím a huge fan of Robin Zander from Cheap Trick. The guy has great range and can sing just about anything from ballads to hard rockers.

alpha_omega
10-02-2006, 04:39 PM
...Sebastian Bach of skid row... Powerful powerful voice.

Not any more...did you see Supergroup? Whatever he used to be; he has totally lost it.

HC_Chief
10-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Freddie Mercury.
Maynard = close second.

Queensryche sucks.

:p

sedated
10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Maynard, no doubt

Les Claypool?

Janis Joplin was good and very unique, but haven't heard enough to say for sure.

I used to think Jonathon Davis was good, but not anymore.

Chris Cornhole can suck my testicles

Bald but Beautiful
10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I kinda forgot about Robin Zander on my list, but he certainly one of the best but for some reason not remembered and underrated rock singers still doing it.

Fishpicker
10-02-2006, 10:33 PM
there's so few female candidates for best vocalist so far, consider: Janis Joplin, Chaka Khan, Annie Wilson, Cindy Lauper, Pat Benetar, and Stevie Nicks.

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned David Bowie or Stevie Wonder

with that said; my vote goes to Roy Orbison. His voice exuded a lot of power and grace. He had great range too.

Archie F. Swin
10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Eddie Vedder(sp?)
Steve Perry
Adrian Belew
Brad Delp

QuikSsurfer
10-02-2006, 10:56 PM
no love for Billy Corgan?

Archie F. Swin
10-02-2006, 11:37 PM
guy from Alice in Chains was great!

KCWolfman
10-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I kinda forgot about Robin Zander on my list, but he certainly one of the best but for some reason not remembered and underrated rock singers still doing it.
Funny thing about Zander and Cheap Trick, they were blackballed by most radio stations right at the height of their career because they didn't play nice with their execs. Yet they still hit it big abroad and managed a little comeback in the states eventually.

DMAC
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
no love for Billy Corgan?:LOL: :spock:

Archie F. Swin
10-03-2006, 09:16 AM

oft imitated

HC_Chief
10-03-2006, 09:21 AM
guy from Alice in Chains was great!
Good call.

AIC was a phenominal live band. One of the few live bands of the 90s that sounded like their recorded album, rather than a squelching shitty version of their album (see: Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam (who sucked ass anyway), et al)

DMAC
10-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Probably not the best, but a couple I really like:

Bono

John Fogerty

Ray Davies (The Kinks)

Peter Gabriel

Joe Cocker

guy from Alice in Chains was great!Layne Staley

Lzen
10-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Is this a joke? I like Smashing Pumpkins musically. But I hated Billy Corgan as a singer. If this were a list of worst rock vocalists, he would definitely make the cut.

ChiefFripp
10-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Billy Corgan sounds like a pissed off 12 year old full of self-pity.

Lzen
10-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Another one that hasn't been mentioned for best rock vocalist is Dennis DeYoung of Styx.
Chris Cornell was pretty incredible in his Sound Garden days. He sounds a little too rough now with Audioslave. But I do love their music. Geoff Tate is up there along with Mercury.

A guy I really have a lot of respect for is James LaBrie of Dream Theater. Some people can't stand his style. But one thing is for certain, he has a ton of range and can do about anything with his voice.

Speaking of range.....King Diamond. ROFL

Molitoth
10-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Matthew Good

ChiefsOne
10-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Geoff Tate is one of the best if not the best.

I always remember hearing about the guy from Slaughter having an 8 octave voice, or whatever number it was (reach the highest highs and lowest lows)

Dartgod
10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
The first name that immediately came to mind was Freddy Mercury. There are a lot of other great names mentioned here though; Elvis and Orbison should also be at the top.

Sully
10-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Geoff tate
Freddie Mercury
Dave Grohl (I just like his voice)
Corey Glover
Chris Cornell

ChiefFripp
10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
No love for Mike Patton yet? I'm suprised.

HC_Chief
10-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Speaking of range.....King Diamond. ROFL

:spock:
Tighty-whities 3 sizes too small, resulting in screeching soprano, != range :D

Queensryche still sucks.

Reaper16
10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
King Diamond rules.

If metal vocalists are eligible, then Russell Allen is severely underrated. Jesus, what a talent.

Archie F. Swin
10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Jeff Buckley anyone?

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000024E9Z.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

HC_Chief
10-03-2006, 03:19 PM
King Diamond rules.

If metal vocalists are eligible, then Russell Allen is severely underrated. Jesus, what a talent.

King Diamond rules the uber-gay clown makeup sporting nuts in a voice having satanic glam fags. :p

Reaper16
10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
King Diamond rules the uber-gay clown makeup sporting nuts in a voice having satanic glam Rump Rangers. :p
Yes, in addition to everyone else.

CosmicPal
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Not one mention of Van Morrison. :shake:

The songs you've never heard by this man are the most beautiful and haunting songs ever sung by a beautiful Irish man.

Roy Orbison as someone mentioned, is a spoken angel.

Lastly, the sad thing is that you guys have never heard of Terry Reid. A little bio on Terry Reid- he's the chap that Jimmy Page wanted desperately to front his band, the New Yardbirds, which everyone in the world now knows as Led Zeppelin.

Reid actually turned Jimmy Page down. Not only that, he recommended Robert Plant and Robert is another one who's sadly missing on this list. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Robert Plant deserves to be on here, but you should do yourself a favor and listen to Terry Reid's voice. A couple of songs I'd recommend: Something's Gotten A Hold of My Heart, and Without Expression.

Braincase
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Freddy is at the top of my list, but a couple of guys that ought to get some credit are Burton Cummings of the Guess Who and Chuck Negron of Three Dog Night.

I'm just sayin...

Rukdafaidas
10-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I always remember hearing about the guy from Slaughter having an 8 octave voice, or whatever number it was (reach the highest highs and lowest lows)
I heard the same thing about Axl Rose. They said that he and Roy Orbison had the widest range.

old_geezer
10-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Since we now seem to be throwing out the names of every singer who is talented let me add one who hasn't been mentioned yet - Bob Seger

I enjoy listening to him as much or more than 75% of the singers mentioned in this thread (although I don't argue that the singers mentioned aren't good). Just a matter of preference.

Sully
10-04-2006, 02:01 PM

The songs you've never heard by this man are the most beautiful and haunting songs ever sung by a beautiful Irish man.

I am humbled and ashamed that I didn't think of him. He is the top of the list.

Dark Horse
10-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Now I know why no one discusses vocalists. There are way too many opinions oh well here are a few more.
Don Henley
Ronnie James Dio
Steve Walsh of Kansas
Michael Mcdonald
Michael Bolten
Sammy Hagar
Mike Reno
Grace Slick
Meatloaf

Dark Horse
10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
At the end of the day the question remains, Who is the most Skilled with their voice? It seems as if 3 names keep coming up Geoff Tate, Freddie Mercury and Roy Orbison. Since they come from 3 different genres I think we could say that they are the most talented in their particular group.

KCWolfman
10-05-2006, 03:50 AM

Roy Orbison as someone mentioned, is a spoken angel.

Lastly, the sad thing is that you guys have never heard of Terry Reid. A little bio on Terry Reid- he's the chap that Jimmy Page wanted desperately to front his band, the New Yardbirds, which everyone in the world now knows as Led Zeppelin.

Reid actually turned Jimmy Page down. Not only that, he recommended Robert Plant and Robert is another one who's sadly missing on this list. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Robert Plant deserves to be on here, but you should do yourself a favor and listen to Terry Reid's voice. A couple of songs I'd recommend: Something's Gotten A Hold of My Heart, and Without Expression.

Rod Stewart was also considered for the New Yardbirds. Evidently Page thought he was too shy.

Lzen
10-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Now I know why no one discusses vocalists. There are way too many opinions.....

It goes that way for any musician.....guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc. It is mostly a matter of taste, IMO.

Dark Horse
10-05-2006, 04:23 PM
It goes that way for any musician.....guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc. It is mostly a matter of taste, IMO.

True but with guitarist I think you could come up with a consensus top 3 or so

siberian khatru
10-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Rod Stewart was also considered for the New Yardbirds. Evidently Page thought he was too shy.

He was afraid of sharks.

Frazod
10-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Freddie Mercury, without a doubt.

Halfcan
10-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Best Drummer- Neil Peart

Best Guitarist- Alex Lifeson

Best Bass and Singer and Keyboards- Geddy Lee

Best Band- Rush

This has been confirmed many times in Musician Mags.

KCWolfman
10-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Best Drummer- Neil Peart

Best Band- Rush

Even Keith Moon would rise out of his grave to disagree with your first choice.

And there are dozens of guitarists who leave Alex Lifeson in the dust.....

And this is coming from a dedicated Rush fan. I truly believe that Permanent Waves is one of my best CDs and/or Albums I own. And I have more than 3,000 total.

The guys are very good together - And Lee is unique with his vocal control - but I don't think any are the best in their field.

Archie F. Swin
10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Best Drummer- Neil Peart

Best Band- Rush

ummm...no

great band, but not the bees knees

Halfcan
10-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Neil just got voted Best Drummer in Modern Drummer Magazine, for the 15 th time? Maybe more, I am not sure.

I love Moon-and btw he was a big influence on Peart. But when you look at a complete body of work, NP is the greatest. Moon suffered badly in his Live performance as well. Of course if you ask Neil-he would agree with ya Wolf. Neil is so modest-he shuns Best Ever talk-even though he is. Neil says he hits things with sticks for a living.

Hugh Syme gets the nod for Best Album art and Andrew Mcnaughton for best Rock Photographer.

Alex is amazing at getting different sounds out of a Guitar. He has also been voted Best many times by many dif mags. Listen to his early bootleg and live stuff-he just ROCKS. It is like he is channeling Jimi and Jimmy.

Geddy is caught between 2 Powerhouses-if you listen to his early stuff-he had to Scream it out to be heard over the them. Neil used to play with the sticks backward to get max power. The group is far more balanced now. Look at Geds body of Bass work, plus he writes on acoustic guitar, plus the many other things-no contest.

Billy Sheehan is great too.

Archie F. Swin
10-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Neil just got voted Best Drummer in Modern Drummer Magazine, for the 15 th time? Maybe more, I am not sure.

Get a room full of drummers and ask them is Neil 's the best, very few will answer "yes". We all agree though he deserves a ton of repect and has inspired at least as many drummers as Ringo has

But I digress...

Halfcan
10-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Yep Neil is no Lars that is for sure-lol

Brock
10-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Best Drummer- Neil Peart

Best Band- Rush

Pfftt. :rolleyes:

PunkinDrublic
10-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Lee Ving (Fear)

ChiefFripp
10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
I go for people with character over people with technical ability. Tate is technically great but he sounds about as soulful as a Nitzer Ebb album. I'll take people like Jim Morrison, David Gilmour and Shirley Manson over the Geoff Tates ,Dougie Whites and Steve Perrys of the world any day.

I'm not a Priest fan but I have to admit that Halford has the ability as well as the character.

Dark Horse
10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I go for people with character over people with technical ability. Tate is technically great but he sounds about as soulful as a Nitzer Ebb album. I'll take people like Jim Morrison, David Gilmour and Shirley Manson over the Geoff Tates ,Dougie Whites and Steve Perrys of the world any day.

I'm not a Priest fan but I have to admit that Halford has the ability as well as the character.

The ones with character are the ones I prefer to listen too as well. I was just wondering who people would say was the most physically gifted as a singer.

Reaper16
10-07-2006, 10:45 AM

Meh, "Mindcrime" is still a better album than, well, damn near anything ever.

ChiefFripp
10-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Meh, "Mindcrime" is still a better album than, well, damn near anything ever.
Never lsitened to it. the only Queensyche albums I ever owned was Empire and their self-titled E.P.

Reaper16
10-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Never lsitened to it. the only Queensyche albums I ever owned was Empire and their self-titled E.P.
Oh, please do. It's simply incredible.

KCWolfman
10-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I go for people with character over people with technical ability.

That is why no one can name a greatest anything in modern music.

Bob Dylan is anything but technically accurate; however, I cannot think of an artist that puts more effort into a live show and captures the entire audience.