PDA

View Full Version : Brewing my Pumpkin Ale tomorrow

runnercyclist
09-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Anyone else make a pumpkin ale for Halloween?

I was going to skip this year but the neighborhood revolted.

FAX
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I am unfamiliar with Pumpkin Ale, Mr. runnercyclist.

How is it made?

FAX

runnercyclist
09-30-2006, 11:18 PM
I homebrew a standard American Pale ale but sparge 3-4 LBs of pumpkin with the grains, include a LB of wildflower honey and brownsugar to the DME, then add pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, pure vanilla, clove) in the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Finished product is exceptionally yummy on Halloween night at the foot of my driveway with a firepit roaring and handing out candy to the kiddies and pumpkin ale to the parents!

FAX
09-30-2006, 11:21 PM
That sounds really good, Mr. runnercyclist. I've never heard of it but would love to try some.

I'll be the guy wearing the Evil Barry Manilow costume.

FAX

runnercyclist
09-30-2006, 11:26 PM
That sounds really good, Mr. runnercyclist. I've never heard of it but would love to try some.

I'll be the guy wearing the Evil Barry Manilow costume.

FAX
LMAO

I would think all manilow costumes would be evil :shrug:

But we'll hoist one nevertheless :toast: :BLVD:

FAX
09-30-2006, 11:39 PM
He is a frightfully disturbing character, Mr. runnercyclist. The Evil Barry Manilow costume is particularly useful in keeping stray animals and insects away from the house.

I'm curious, though. When you brew your normal Pale Ale, Mr. runnercyclist, don't you already add brown sugar? Then do you add more for the Pumpkin Ale?

FAX

runnercyclist
09-30-2006, 11:44 PM
He is a frightfully disturbing character, Mr. runnercyclist. The Evil Barry Manilow costume is particularly useful in keeping stray animals and insects away from the house.

I'm curious, though. When you brew your normal Pale Ale, Mr. runnercyclist, don't you already add brown sugar? Then do you add more for the Pumpkin Ale?

FAX

Negative on the brown sugar in the APA. No adjuncts in my regular brews. Just the specialty stuff, holiday porters, pumpkin ales, belgian ales, etc.

I also make a killer black peppercorn ale.

CHIEF4EVER
10-01-2006, 03:32 AM
I homebrew a standard American Pale ale but sparge 3-4 LBs of pumpkin with the grains, include a LB of wildflower honey and brownsugar to the DME, then add pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, pure vanilla, clove) in the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Finished product is exceptionally yummy on Halloween night at the foot of my driveway with a firepit roaring and handing out candy to the kiddies and pumpkin ale to the parents!

Sounds interesting. Do you brew strictly extract or do you also do all grain? Also. I have been all over PA in my rig but have never heard of Imperial. Where is it?

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Sounds interesting. Do you brew strictly extract or do you also do all grain? Also. I have been all over PA in my rig but have never heard of Imperial. Where is it?

This will be a partial mash due to the protein in the pumpkin.

Typically I brew strictly from extract. It is much faster. I get great results utilizing extracts. I brew for me and if others like it too, so be it. I am always willing to share. I've brewed all grain before, but IMHO, wasn't worth the extra time or the cost savings over extract.

Imperial is a small village 18 miles west of Pittsburgh near the Pittsburgh airport.

Bill Parcells
10-01-2006, 07:43 AM
I was never into the flavored beer's..but it sounds like your neighborhood is rockin on halloween :toast: :toast:

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 07:50 AM
I was never into the flavored beer's..but it sounds like your neighborhood is rockin on halloween :toast: :toast:

I agree. I am typically an IPA man, but it is appropriate for the day, and that's about how long this five gallon batch lasts :p

Also the pepper beer rocks anytime.

Braincase
10-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Wish you were easily accessible...

What is it about Pennsylvania and revolting neighborhoods?

Bill Parcells
10-01-2006, 08:26 AM
I agree. I am typically an IPA man, but it is appropriate for the day, and that's about how long this five gallon batch lasts :p

Also the pepper beer rocks anytime.
I'm in New Jersey..I just realized your from PA..Do you like yuengling??

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Wish you were easily accessible...

What is it about Pennsylvania and revolting neighborhoods?

Must be the Squeeler influence??

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm in New Jersey..I just realized your from PA..Do you like yuengling??

Nope. I stick to handcrafted ales. I am a beer self-admitted beer snob.

I would drink it over BMC though. I keep some of it in my beer fridge for my friends with less distinguished tastes.

boogblaster
10-01-2006, 09:33 AM
the ale sounds good my granny used to make it in the pumpkin.. it was good but the pumpkin looked better for wear afterwards....

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 10:07 AM
the ale sounds good my granny used to make it in the pumpkin.. it was good but the pumpkin looked better for wear afterwards....

WOW! Make it IN the pumpkin?

I would have no idea how to do that.

Old folks did a lot of cool things...

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Brewed and in the fermenter.

OOOOHhhhh it smells delicious!

Otter
10-01-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll be out your way for the KC @ Pitt game, save me pint. :D

runnercyclist
10-02-2006, 12:41 PM
I'll be out your way for the KC @ Pitt game, save me pint. :D

I will definitely downing some homebrews at the tailgate prior to the Chiefs / Squeelers game!

Dartgod
10-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Sounds good. I've got all the ingredients for a porter ale ready to go but just need to get off my lazy ass to do it. I was hoping to have it ready for Bwana's visit to KC, but that's not going to happen now.

KC Dan
10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Sounds good. I've got all the ingredients for a porter ale ready to go but just need to get off my lazy ass to do it. I was hoping to have it ready for Bwana's visit to KC, but that's not going to happen now.
Slackard!

Dartgod
10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Slackard!
Get off yer ass and mow my lawn!