PDA

View Full Version : Merrill- Changes in offensive line don’t alter strategy

Chiefs Pantalones
10-01-2006, 01:30 AM
CHIEFS VS. 49ERS | Johnson is ready to run and Black is ready to block if Turley sits out as expected
Changes in offensive line don’t alter strategy
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star
As another left tackle went down last week, the news was met in the locker room with the equivalent of crickets chirping in the background. Maybe the Chiefs are used to this now, after Willie Roaf’s hamstring injury last year and subsequent retirement.

Maybe they’re still numb.

“It doesn’t make any difference to me,” Larry Johnson said Friday after the team’s final practice before the 49ers. “Because I still run. Regardless if they put five backups back there, I’ve still got to run. I’m not one of those little guys that if an offensive lineman goes down, they (wet) in their beds because they’re scared (about) getting hit.

“I get hit anyway because of the way I run, so it doesn’t matter to me.”

A few feet away, Jordan Black casually prepared for his first start at left tackle in the post-Roaf era. Black caught a hailstorm of criticism last year when he filled in for Roaf and the Chiefs struggled. That’s one of the drawbacks of following a future Hall of Famer.

But stepping in for Kyle Turley, who’ll probably sit today with back problems, won’t be easy, either. Black will face two of the 49ers’ best pass rushers in Marques Douglas and Manny Lawson. Kansas City expressed interest in Lawson this spring before the draft.

The Chiefs have played nearly a game and a half without quarterback Trent Green, who was knocked unconscious in the season opener. They scaled back their play-calling to accommodate journeyman quarterback Damon Huard, but coach Herm Edwards had hoped to air it out a little more today.

That plan isn’t expected to change minus Turley.

“We’re still going to try and come out and be very balanced offensively,” Edwards said. “We’re going to try to throw it as well as run it.”

This is Black’s second start of the season. He filled in for Kevin Sampson at right tackle against the Bengals. Black says it’s challenging to shuffle from one position to another, but he actually feels more comfortable at left tackle. It’s what he played in college at Notre Dame, and when he came to Kansas City in 2003, he was considered the club’s left tackle of the future.

“I’ve always said, ‘Give me a week of preparation, and I’ll be fine,’” Black said. “I look at it as I’ve got a job to do. I’m paid to do a job, and I need to go out there and do it.

“All you can do is go in, protect the quarterback and block guys. You’ve just got to do that.”

the Talking Can
10-01-2006, 01:44 AM
yea....don't alter the strategy that has failed miserably....that would be exotic.....all hail Herm...he plays to "not lose by much"....

HemiEd
10-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Larry Johnson-"I’m not one of those little guys that if an offensive lineman goes down, they (wet) in their beds because they’re scared (about) getting hit."

That is great stuff. LMAO

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 08:03 AM
If we don't score on the 49ers, we're picking inside the top-5.

milkman
10-01-2006, 08:06 AM
If we don't score on the 49ers, we're picking inside the top-5.

We'll have our pick of the litter at OT!!!!!!!

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 08:06 AM
“I’ve always said, ‘Give me a week of preparation, and I’ll be fine,’” Black said. “I look at it as I’ve got a job to do. I’m paid to do a job, and I need to go out there and do it.

“All you can do is go in, protect the quarterback and block guys. You’ve just got to do that.”

This is priceless. :bang:

He may be "fine" but the QB will be fuked up.

Ari Chi3fs
10-01-2006, 08:36 AM
yea....don't alter the strategy that has failed miserably....that would be exotic.....all hail Herm...he plays to "not lose by much"....

You Play to Not Lose by Much! [/herm]

Dark Horse
10-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Why would Herm change the game plan with Turley out? He was just going to run to the right all day anyway.