PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a blessing, perhaps not.

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 08:21 AM
"Cardinals QB Kurt Warner reportedly doesn't believe that Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald run precise routes all the time.

Warner's receivers probably aren't at Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce's level, but Warner should be thankful his young teammates are extending his career. If Warner keeps fumbling this week, Matt Leinart could start against Kansas City in Week 5.
Source: FoxSports.com"

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Smart, real smart, Brenda.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-01-2006, 08:29 AM
if they want to play Leinart, they should play Leinart. This jumping back & forth with who is gonna start at QB doesn't come across as being too bright

the Talking Can
10-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Smart, real smart, Brenda.

LMAO

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 08:34 AM
I would welcome Leinart starting against us. Troy Aikman is one of the few success stories among QB's who were thrown into the fire as a rookie. He went 1-15 that year.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Bottom line...out of that group (Warner, Boldin, Fitzgerald, Green), who's got a Super Bowl ring and was named MVP? I'll agree that he's never been the same since the thumb problems...but once upon a time he got it done. Which is more than you can say for the other 3 in that group.

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Welcoming Leinart is a risk. As I said, it could be a blessing that he starts, but it could not be.

Warner can make a lot of the throws and that could hurt us, but he also turns it over a lot and is prone to give games away. Leinart isn't going to be as well-versed with the offense and he might not be as good a pure passer (now or ever), but I love the guy's calm and poise. I think that translates from college to the NFL with him.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-01-2006, 08:53 AM
I only caught a few highlights of the AZ game. And one they liked to show was Warner's angry comments to the center on the sidelines after the fumbled snap. Sounds like the push for Leinart is on

milkman
10-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Bottom line...out of that group (Warner, Boldin, Fitzgerald, Green), who's got a Super Bowl ring and was named MVP? I'll agree that he's never been the same since the thumb problems...but once upon a time he got it done. Which is more than you can say for the other 3 in that group.

Trent Dilfer has a ring also.

Warner benefitted from playing with outstanding talent at all the skill positions, and an above average O-Line in StL.

Despite that, he still threw a lot of interceptions.
They were just able to overcome his bonehead decision making because of all that talent.

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 09:00 AM

Warner benefitted from playing with outstanding talent at all the skill positions, and an above average O-Line in StL.

They were just able to overcome his bonehead decision making because of all that talent.
Steve Fuller has a ring.

milkman
10-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Steve Fuller has a ring.

And he hasn't made it to the Chiefs Ring of Honor.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 09:23 AM

They were just able to overcome his bonehead decision making because of all that talent.Yes, Dilfer has a ring. And just like the Rams and Warner, you'll notice that the Ravens haven't been back to the Super Bowl since Dilfer left. So it's not like Warner and Dilfer were just along for the ride. I'd happily take either Warner or Dilfer right this minute instead of Huard.

milkman
10-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes, Dilfer has a ring. And just like the Rams and Warner, you'll notice that the Ravens haven't been back to the Super Bowl since Dilfer left. So it's not like Warner and Dilfer were just along for the ride. I'd happily take either Warner or Dilfer right this minute instead of Huard.

I'm not saying that Warner, or Dilfer, didn't make contributions to their team's respective SBs.

What I'm suggesting is that the fact that Warner has a SB ring doesn't diminish the fact that he has some talented receivers to work with in Arizona, and that if he was as good as everyone thought he was, he could adjust to his situation.

The fact is that Warner makes bad decisions, and without the right system, and guys like Holt and Bruce who were precise route runners, he struggles.

He's a system QB.

Rain Man
10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
I would welcome Leinart starting against us. Troy Aikman is one of the few success stories among QB's who were thrown into the fire as a rookie. He went 1-15 that year.

Success afterward, I presume.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
He's a system QB.All things being equal, who isn't? For example:

Joe Montana - 49ers vs. Chiefs
Steve Young - Tampa Bay vs. 49ers
Trent Dilfer - Tampa Bay vs. Ravens
Kurt Warner - Rams vs. Giants vs. Cardinals

etc. etc. etc.

Talent is more than physical gifts. It's also intelligence, discipline, etc. Given Warner's accomplishements and experience, I'm willing to give his opinions (on route-running for example) some extra weight.

Easy 6
10-01-2006, 09:42 AM
It was a lil' offputting seeing Kurt bitch at Stepanovich when everyone saw Kurt fumble the snap. He better stop his crying about his teamates before the whole locker room turns on his azz.

milkman
10-01-2006, 09:45 AM
All things being equal, who isn't? For example:

Joe Montana - 49ers vs. Chiefs
Steve Young - Tampa Bay vs. 49ers
Trent Dilfer - Tampa Bay vs. Ravens
Kurt Warner - Rams vs. Giants vs. Cardinals

etc. etc. etc.

Talent is more than physical gifts. It's also intelligence, discipline, etc. Given Warner's accomplishements and experience, I'm willing to give his opinions (on route-running for example) some extra weight.

I agree that a large percentage of QBs are system QBs.

I don't believe that Montana, with his poise and leadership, falls inot that category.

I don't think he would have been as successful, but he would've still been among the best.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2006, 09:58 AM
My god, Joe Montana won two playoff games with us. That alone proves that he is not a system QB.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 10:06 AM
My god, Joe Montana won two playoff games with us. That alone proves that he is not a system QB.As opposed to 3(?) Super Bowls w/San Fran. My point is that there is no such thing as a "system" QB. It's about the talent of that individual and the level of talent around him...not the "system". Warner has, IMO, proven his talent and has played with ridiculously talented receivers. He's got room to be critical because of his past accomplishements and his experience in playing with receivers who "do/did it right". Green, Boldin and Fitzgerald have done exactly zero.

stumppy
10-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Warner has no reason at all to complain about those two receivers.

Hell, I'd give Skips left nut to have one of them running their not so precise routes for the Chiefs.

Rain Man
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Talent is talent, but I do think that there are situations where a player isn't the best fit for what's being asked of him. Randall Cunningham was a great quarterback, but he wouldn't have been as good in a West Coast offense. It would have wasted a lot of Marino's talents, too. Similarly, I'm not sure that Montana would've been effective throwing bombs under Al Davis' system. The difference probably wouldn't have changed their career grades from A to F, but it might've lowered it from A to B.

I think Okoye probably prospered a bit more playing for Marty than he would've playing for someone like Mike Martz, too.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
As opposed to 3(?) Super Bowls w/San Fran. My point is that there is no such thing as a "system" QB. It's about the talent of that individual and the level of talent around him...not the "system". Warner has, IMO, proven his talent and has played with ridiculously talented receivers. He's got room to be critical because of his past accomplishements and his experience in playing with receivers who "do/did it right". Green, Boldin and Fitzgerald have done exactly zero.

4 Super Bowls.

We are essentially arguing the same point here.

He was 400 years old when he played with us. His skill position players were JJ Birden, Willie Davis, Keith Cash, Marcus Allen and Kimble Anders

Compare that to Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark/Brent Jones, John Taylor, Roger Craig.

With that being said, Warner does have a point on the precision of route running (given the preciseness of Holt and Bruce's routes), but from other accounts, I've heard that Fitzgerald is a very disciplined and precise route runner.

TN_Chief
10-01-2006, 10:13 AM
The lack of receiving talent on the Chiefs doesn't preclude Warner from criticizing his own recievers, nor does it mean he's not right.

Sure-Oz
10-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Warner needs to learn how to hold onto a football before bashing his WR's who haven't even tapped into their potential.

Easy 6
10-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Warner needs to learn how to hold onto a football before bashing his WR's who haven't even tapped into their potential.
Yeah, after his last game the last thing he should be doing is calling out his bread n' butter guys in public.

NJ Chief Fan
10-01-2006, 10:40 AM
denny green is a joke of a coach, he doesnt know what he wants, hes just a terrible coach