PDA

View Full Version : If we had the #1 pick...

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 09:36 AM
...and your options were limited to Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas, who would you take?

JBucc
10-01-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't know who Joe Thomas is, but I've seen Calvin Johnson and he is amazing. I'd take him.

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
He is a f*cking stunning receiver, but I can't get over the idea of passing on a (potential) franchise left tackle for a receiver, albeit possibly the best receiver prospect ever.

milkman
10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Joe Thomas.

Rain Man
10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Who are these people? I don't follow college football. I think, though, that quarterbacks are the traditional #1 pick, not that it matters since we'll be picking 32nd.

JBucc
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
And supposedly this is the "year of the OT" so I think we can find a guy in the second round. If we have the first pick which we won't.

milkman
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
I don't know who Joe Thomas is, but I've seen Calvin Johnson and he is amazing. I'd take him.

He's a big ass OT for Wisconsin.

ChiefFripp
10-01-2006, 09:49 AM
I'd say getting the 1st overall draftpick is a realistic goal for The Chiefs. Go get it!

Rain Man
10-01-2006, 09:49 AM
How many receivers have been taken #1, and how have they done? I can think of Keyshawn Johnson and Irving Fryar off the top of my head, and neither one of them are bound for the Hall of Fame.

How about top five receivers? We've had a spate of them recently, but who has finished a career as a top-five-drafted receiver? When I think about all of the most scary receivers I've seen at the peaks of their careers, I don't think any of them were drafted in the top five.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2006, 09:55 AM
We'd be better off picking later in the top 10. Then we could still get a stud LT and not have to dish out as much $$, which would increase our chances to sign someone as well.

Drafting WRs is a dumbass move in today's NFL. You are better off letting other people develop them.

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Who are these people? I don't follow college football.

I can't claim to have studied Thomas, but Calvin Johnson does not require studying. IMO he's Larry Fitzgerald with more speed and elusiveness.

7 touchdowns in 5 games, and he'd probably have at least 10 if his quarterback didn't stink. He just dominates top opposition, too. 6 catches for 115 yards and 2 scores yesterday against highly-ranked VaTech.

Just a f*cking stud.

CupidStunt
10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
How about top five receivers? We've had a spate of them recently, but who has finished a career as a top-five-drafted receiver? When I think about all of the most scary receivers I've seen at the peaks of their careers, I don't think any of them were drafted in the top five.

Definitely agree.

But I can't help but liken Johnson to Fitzgerald (#3 overall). I seem sold on his transition, even though it's entirely possible he sucks.

tyton75
10-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Brady Quinn... :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Calvin Johnson took a ball to the house yesterday against VT, but in doing so, he looked damn slow. Maybe it's because he's a 'long strider', but he definitely didn't seem like a burner.

milkman
10-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I can't claim to have studied Thomas, but Calvin Johnson does not require studying. IMO he's Larry Fitzgerald with more speed and elusiveness.

7 touchdowns in 5 games, and he'd probably have at least 10 if his quarterback didn't stink. He just dominates top opposition, too. 6 catches for 115 yards and 2 scores yesterday against highly-ranked VaTech.

Just a f*cking stud.

I think you're right.
He seems destined to be a star, but I simply couldn't pass up a potential franchise LT.

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Best left tackle in college football

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 10:18 AM
and my second pick would be an OL and my third pick would be an OL and I would go after OL in the FA market.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2006, 10:23 AM
I would also like to have us go after a DT.

Rain Man
10-01-2006, 10:24 AM
I would also like to have us go after a DT.

I would prefer that we change our entire scouting staff before we do that again.

ILChief
10-01-2006, 10:26 AM
while we need a WR badly, I'd take a left tackle. Every offseason there are guys like Antonio Bryant available that you can get a WR. A franchise left tackle is hard to find.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Your "Top" Wide Receivers in the Game

TO-3rd Rounder
Chad Johnson- 2nd Rounder
Marvin Harrison--Mid/Late 1st Rounder
Torry Holt--Early 1st Rounder
Randy Moss--1st Rounder
Steve Smith--3rd Rounder
Anquan Boldin--2nd Rounder
Larry Fitzgerald--Early 1st Rounder
Reggie Wayne--Late 1st Rounder (30th)
Hines Ward--3rd Rounder
Plaxico Burress--1st Rounder
Santana Moss--1st Rounder

You *can* find gems in the later rounds (Houshmandzadeh was a 7th rounder) but it is hard to find a lead wide receiver unless you invest an earlier pick on them. With that being said, their bust potential may be higher than any other position the higher they go, save for QBs. They seem to have their greatest value late in the 1st round/early 2nd and their least value with very high picks.

milkman
10-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I would prefer that we change our entire scouting staff before we do that again.

In the higher rounds, the scouting staff's input is minimal.

Edit: I mean't to say early rounds.

NJ Chief Fan
10-01-2006, 10:43 AM
WE NEEDED DT'S AND OT'S