PDA

View Full Version : Eminem SUCKS

Frazod
12-30-2000, 11:15 PM
I'm watching a rerun of SNL right now, and I am being subjected to/victimized by Eminem for the first time. God, what a talentless, pathetic, laughable hack! Had I been in the audience, I'd have walked up and puked on him. This guy must be rap's answer to Slim Whitman.

I think I'll go put some Floyd on to get the memory of that sound out of my head. Yuck.

PostalChief
12-30-2000, 11:47 PM
Frazod,
I think he's more like Vanilla Ice. Just another dysfunctional suburban white kid trying to cash in on a hot market. Unfortunately, his timing was excellent.

Brock
12-30-2000, 11:49 PM
Do you like Rap in general?

CASHMAN
12-30-2000, 11:50 PM
some people might think floyd sucks???? not me but just like you and i both no diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. i for one can listen to a wide range of music from ac-dc,floyd,mm,outcast and ol yes even a little country just like food alittle bit of change is good. this is just my opion.

CASH.

------------------
Dont just say it, BRINGGGGG ITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

PostalChief
12-30-2000, 11:55 PM
I like any artist(rap, R&B, rock, country) who can play an instrument or has vocal talent. To me, there's more to music than just voicing an opinion along with mixing board induced bass lines and drumbeats.

Frazod
12-30-2000, 11:58 PM
No, I don't like rap. But most of the rap I've heard is far, far better than this clown. He makes Vanilla Ice look like Mozart.

Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate this crap. Then again, when I was a kid, I hated disco. Now I'm getting to be an old fart, and I STILL hate disco. Bad is timeless.

I realize that everyone has different tastes when it comes to music, but c'mon, this guys blows.

PostalChief
12-31-2000, 12:01 AM
Frazod,
Yes, we are old. Sorry to lay that on you. heh heh

Frazod
12-31-2000, 12:05 AM
Don't worry, Postal. The bald head and 100 pounds I've gained since high school do that for me.

Getting old blows, too.

PostalChief
12-31-2000, 12:10 AM
Frazod,
I'm with you on that. I had some major foot surgery last September and have gained 40 lbs and am at a 40" waist since then. Now that I'm pain-free and walking normally, it's time to hit the gym and get back to my old self.

CASHMAN
12-31-2000, 12:17 AM
frazod you are only as old as you want to be????? music is like icecream some like vanilla some like others that is why there is so many choices out there for all kinds. i no you will laugh but i have a couple of MMs cds and i like the beat and like to run and work out to some of it. even though i dont like some of the words.

------------------

Frazod
12-31-2000, 12:30 AM
Cash, its not the music I object to. If he'd shut up, it would be okay.

I guess Eminem's just not my bag. Different strokes for different folks. It just really struck me as horrible the first time I heard it. Hopefully there will not be a second.

Where are the Eagles when you need them?

I actually catch myself saying things like "THOSE DAMN KIDS." When I think about it, it's really depressing.

CASHMAN
12-31-2000, 12:45 AM
i hear you frazod i just like the beat from some rappers and learn to tune out the words when running or anything else. and hey how about KANSAS????? i went 2 there come back concert along time back. bye the way how old are you if you like floyd and such????

Frazod
12-31-2000, 01:07 AM

I saw Kansas about 10 years ago. Music was great, but the lead singer's voice was shot. He butchered Wayward Son. It was a bummer.

Last concert I saw was a Hair Band Revival of sorts - Dokken, Slaughter, Cinderella and Poison. This was more the BNC's idea than mine (I'm a late 70's rock guy myself), but it wasn't a bad show. The funny thing is these guys are now WAY too old to have long hair - they mostly look like old women. And all the female groupie types in the audience, who probably looked great 15 years ago, had NO business wearing skin-tight concert clothes. Yech. But it was a nice time travel experience.

Hope the Eagles come back again. They remain the best concert I've ever seen, and haven't lost a thing.

PostalChief
12-31-2000, 01:08 AM
Cashman,
I can't speak for Frazod, but as an old rock fan myself, I'm still stuck in the 70's. And until I can remotely indentify with today's music, I'm perfectly happy right where I'm at. BTW, it can't be a perfect Kansas reunion without Kerry Livgren(sp) Was he there?

Frazod
12-31-2000, 01:13 AM
Al, you absolutely speak for me. Lost in the 70's here. That era reminds me of the Dickens quote: "It was the best of times (rock) it was the worst of times" (disco). I remember Van Halen's first album, and am horrified by the memory of wearing a leisure suit to eighth grade dances.

My favorite sitcom is That 70's Show. So much of that show reminds me of when I was a kid that its scary.

CASHMAN
12-31-2000, 01:13 AM
not sure postal that was almost 10years ago and the ol brian is rusty. have you ever heard of head east???? and how about some ol foghat????? well i am out of here i have to work the next 2 damn days so i will talk at you guys later.

CASH.

Frazod
12-31-2000, 01:16 AM
Think I'll turn in as well. Have to take my goddaughter on her annual Christmas shopping spree tomorrow - I have no idea what to get a 10 year old girl, so I just give her $100 and turn her loose in the mall. Fun, fun, fun.

Hope she doesn't want an EMINEM CD! :D

[This message has been edited by frazod (edited 12-31-2000).]

PostalChief
12-31-2000, 01:36 AM
Frazod,
LOL! At least it wasn't a pastel tuxedo with the ruffled shirt. Yeah, I'm an old VH fan, but lost interest after their over-played and commercialized "1984" album. Sammy Hagar did what he could, and while it was a serviceable collaboration, backfired because Eddie couldn't control his own ego. I still listen to "Van Halen I" thru "Diver Down". As for your goddaughter, good choice. You can't go wrong with clothes. I sure wouldn't buy her music.

Archie F. Swin
12-31-2000, 09:38 AM
sometimes I wonder about you frazod

what do you gain by stating you don't want to listen to a Top 40 rap artist? I realize its your opinion, but . . . that's why your music store has over 1,000 selections.

What if I posted a thread claiming Led Zepplin SUCKS or Van Halen SUCKS?

It seems I would be questioning or criticizing the musical
tastes of other board regulars.( Like I need another reason for you guys to dislike me) ;)

The fact that you were watching SNL shows that you were once enveloped in pop culture, so why sweat those a little younger than you for doinig it?

You stay young by not sounding like an old fart

------------------
Pants
Texas
http://www.cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/ah.jpg

Mosbonian
12-31-2000, 09:38 AM
Did someone mention the EAGLES?

"Welcome to the Hotel California...."

Cashman:

I consider myself a fan of all music from Opera & Symphony to Rap, R&B, Jazz and even Metal music. If you were to look at my Record/Tape/CD collection you would think i work at a Music store. I listen to different kinds of music for different reasons.

BUT, I stop my taste at what I call "shock rock" guys like Eminem & Marilyn Manson, whose only intent is to shock the audience not entertain. You never know if these so-called "artists" have any talent at all, because they never try to show it.

I remember when Van halen was receiving the same kind of publicity for what was perceived as "off-cultural" music and one critic question whether any of the band members really had talent. Eddie Van Halen, to prove them wrong, actually went and played with a City Symphony on the piano and got some pretty good reviews. Now that is talent.

When these "artists" show me something other than the ability to scream on stage and encourage dysfunctional behavior, then maybe I will consider what they do as music. Until then, THEY SPEW CRAP!!!!!!!

mark
just another uninformed opinion

KCWolfman
12-31-2000, 10:24 AM
Maddog - While I cannot abide eminem, I believe that the 70's and 80's had their own version of shock rockers - Alice Cooper, The Sex Pistols, and David Bowie to mention a few.

Dre has packaged the perfect icon for white kids who want to be cool rappers - while I am sure that he is laughing at Marshall Mathers every time he walks out his door. Mathers anger against women is perverse and shows easily through his music and recent troubles with the legal system. His lack of intelligence is apparent as well. He is the white Mike Tyson and Dr. Dre is his Don King.

There are a good deal of rappers out there with talent (although it is huge now, I dont consider it music unless you actually are forced to sing occassionally) and Marshall Mathers is not one of them.

Mi_chief_fan
12-31-2000, 10:36 AM
Russ,
Excellent point. Wonder when the children will catch on?

Mosbonian
12-31-2000, 10:53 AM
Wolfman:

I understand and agree with what you say. The 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's all have their own version of "shock rock" and I have not tuned in to any of them.(Funny how Alice Cooper & David Bowie have become "mainstream" after their "bad boy" starts).

My point is that until such a time any of them show any inclination to be able to REALLY be musicians, they are nothing more than stage performers. What's worse is you can't even tell if they have vocal talents, because they don't give you the chance to find out.

mark
admitting a bit of musical prejudice

KCWolfman
12-31-2000, 10:56 AM
Maddog - I agree, but the stageshow is good for exhibiting that teenage hostility we all felt.

I was (and still am) a fan of groups guilty of stage and lack of talent - The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, NOFX.

But I agree that I cannot abide Marshall Mathers - because of his anger and stupid decisions

Mi_chief_fan
12-31-2000, 11:03 AM
And the fact he 'hates' his mother, wife and fans.

alanm
12-31-2000, 12:30 PM
Their's a lot of good music out there these days. You just got to find it.The Black Crowes, Collective Soul, Phish and a band out of LA called Buckcherry are some of the music I listen to these days. Not to mention all the old stuff I used to listen to Late 60's 70's and beyond. But no I don't care too much for rap. I concider it more of an art form than music. Somewhere in the poetry range I think. Mostly bad poetry :D

redhed
12-31-2000, 06:08 PM
Eminem's album is actually pretty good. It's not really my type of music, but it was a good listen. It had some clever rhyming on it.

rh :mad:<BR>

CASHMAN
12-31-2000, 07:46 PM
yes i agree with the other post that said that is why record stores have over a 1,000 selections and more for all kinds. listen to the beat not the words on some but good workout music.

------------------

Frazod
12-31-2000, 08:13 PM
Nice lecture, CRP. Don't worry, I won't take it personally. But if I have an opinion about something, I'll post it. That's the whole purpose of the board.

I realize everyone's musical taste is different. I heard that one song and thought it really sucked. Maybe his other stuff is better. Doubt if I'll ever know.

KCWolfman
12-31-2000, 09:10 PM
Tim, I doubt it. His songs consist of the drug of choice, beating women and treating them as lesser human beings, and repeating his own name over and over.

Like I said earlier, he is Dr. Dre's shill.

Frazod
12-31-2000, 10:51 PM
That's nice. He also seems to hug himself and grab his crotch a lot. What a talent.

I've seen him once, and that was once too often. IMHO, this guy and other idiots like him are the music industry's answer to some New York freak splattering manure on a canvas and calling it art. I don't understand his appeal, and I'm pretty happy about that.

Happy New Year, Russ!

Frazod
12-31-2000, 11:11 PM
We were talking about Kansas earlier. Ironically, I'm listening to them perform live right now. They're doing the New Year's Eve show at Navy Pier in Chicago. They sound pretty good, too.

Archie F. Swin
01-01-2001, 10:46 AM
Kansas SUCKS!

. . . wasn't that compelling?

I like classic rock, but I just listen to the music and tune out the words.

why is it the older you get the more you complain? Is it be because your're seeing the world go to hell just like your parents did?

Mosbonian
01-01-2001, 02:17 PM
CRP:

Maybe it is because as you get older, you have more to complain about?

My only complaint about Eminem is his propensity to emulate violence against women. If you feel that it is OK to espouse that type of behavior, so be it. But stop and think about how you would feel if someone committed an act of violence on a female member of your famiy and then said he was driven to it by listening to Eminem's lyrics. Sad as it is to say, many of today's kids derive their behavioral patterns after rock stars and what they sing about.

I have never been one to invoke the specter of censorship, but in the case where words espouse violence I am loathe to argue against it.

mark

Frazod
01-01-2001, 05:05 PM
CRP, on this board we debate everything from religion to politics to abortion. Why are you getting so bent out of shape about some silly-a$$ punk rapper?

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, LIGHTEN UP, FRANCIS!

Baby Lee
01-01-2001, 08:17 PM
Just wanna put in my two cents, but I think Eminem is more than just a 'white shill.' The guy can flat out rhyme. Listen to his non-radio stuff to see how verbally adept he is.
I can see where the violence/misogyny thing gets under some people's skin, but now that he has the rep, it's more of a 'now you all expect this of me, I might as well deliver.' In that sense he is very much like Howard Stern.
The difference between Stern and Eminem and a straight out 'shock' artist is skill. True anyone can spout off shiite and make a rep for himself. It takes skill to push all the right buttons with intelligence and dexterity.

'Will Smith don't have cuss in his raps to sell records, . . well I do. So fu@k you, and fu@ck you too. You think I give a d@mn about a Grammy? Half of ya'll critics can't even stomach me let alone stand me.
But Slim, what if you win. . . wouldn't it be weird?
Why, so you guys can just lie so you can get me here, so you can sit me here, next to Britney Spears?

Frazod
01-01-2001, 08:32 PM
Eminem has never won a playoff game...

KCWolfman
01-01-2001, 09:11 PM
Johnny - Not to take anything away from your opinion.... as I stated I enjoyed my share of bad music - but Dr. Seuss can flat out rhyme as well.

Dre is selling the guy across the color lines. He is a master of production and sales. When m&m becomes the next vanilla ice, watch Dre to move on and forget his name.

DiscoJones
01-03-2001, 02:08 PM
"Rapper Eminem received four Grammy nominations, including album of the year for "The Marshall Mathers LP," a work that has enraged some listeners but won critical acclaim."

"Critics have accused Eminem of promoting homophobia and abuse of women, among other things. But music experts have praised his clever rhymes and artistry if not his message."

http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/fyi.pat,fyi/37750657.103,.html <BR>

Baby Lee
01-03-2001, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> Sh!t, Christina Aguilera better switch me chairs <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DiscoJones
01-03-2001, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>So I can sit next to Carson Daly and Fred Durst
And hear 'em argue over who she gave **** to first.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups all you do is annoy me
So I've been sent here to destroy you
And theres a million of us just like me
Who cuss like me
Who just don't give a f@#$ like me
Who dress like me
Walk, talk and act like me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>

Baby Lee
01-03-2001, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> I'm sorry, there must be a mix-up
You want me to fix up lyrics while the President gets his di@k sucked?
{*ewwww*} Fu@k that, take drugs, rape sluts
Make fun of gay clubs, men who wear make-up
Get aware, wake up, get a sense of humor
Quit tryin to censor music, this is for your kid's amusement
(The kids!) But don't blame me when lil' Eric jumps off of the terrace
You shoulda been watchin him - apparently you ain't parents <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spott
01-03-2001, 02:24 PM
It just might be, the next best thing, but not quite me.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

DiscoJones
01-03-2001, 02:31 PM
"Me and Marcus Allen went over to see Nicole
When we heard a knock at the door, must have been Ron Gold'"

See! This is a Chiefs-related thread!<BR>

KCWolfman
01-03-2001, 03:21 PM
"I can eat them on a boat
I can eat them with a goat
I can eat them on a train
I can eat them in a plane
I can eat them with a fox
I can eat them in my socks
I like green eggs and ham
I do, I do like them Sam I am"

I see just as much relative value in the statement above as I do in the ones below.

Baby Lee
01-03-2001, 03:24 PM
Once again proving the old adage equating opinions and orifices.

KCWolfman
01-03-2001, 03:28 PM
Johnny - I actually thought you Jerry Mathers, err I mean Marshall Mathers fans would enjoy my sarcasm... after all, that is what you are complimenting him about.

Seriously, I understand why he sells. Just as I understand why I bought the video Buckaroo Banzai across the 9th Dimension. I just dont try to delude others into believing that Buckaroo Banzai is art.

Baby Lee
01-03-2001, 03:33 PM
KCWolfman - no offense taken. This is a difficulty I struggle with regularly. I like good representations of ALL music, and that inevitably results in someone bad-mouthing SOMETHING I like.
It is kinda frustrating, because my love for music inclines me to want to talk about it. But everyone has something where they just go 'that's crap' and we end up discussing why that is or isn't crap, rather than talking about what we both like.

KCWolfman
01-03-2001, 03:35 PM
Johnny - Cool, and by the way some things that you like are crap, just like some things I like are crap. Does that make them any less valid? I dont think so. I can listen to the Dead Kennedys all day - I dont know anyone else who can. It is crap, plain and simple. But something in that crap is appealing to me. I accept it and laugh at those who ridicule it as they will never get the enjoyment I do out of it.

Baby Lee
01-03-2001, 03:38 PM
BTW, I think we're missing the central point. Are you suggesting that 'green eggs and ham' is anything short of an american treasure?

KCWolfman
01-03-2001, 03:41 PM
Johnny - The only one I love better is There's a Wocket in my Pocket (grin).

DiscoJones
01-03-2001, 03:49 PM
I think the lyrics started after I posted #38:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> posted 01-03-2001 02:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Rapper Eminem received four Grammy nominations, including album of the year for "The Marshall Mathers LP," a work that has enraged some listeners but won critical acclaim."
"Critics have accused Eminem of promoting homophobia and abuse of women, among other things. But music experts have praised his clever rhymes and artistry if not his message."

From: http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/fyi.pat,fyi/37750657.103,.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just citing (very) recent evidence (like from today) that refutes the claim that his music is complete crap. It also reaffirms many peoples expressed thoughts concerning his music's content. If you read the quotes and lyrics, you'll also see that Marshall recognizes all the people out there who hate him. It is interesting to note that he disses the Grammys and then gets nominated for 4 of them - the article discusses this briefly.

Also, although I like the DKs, some people may be offended by their song "I Kill Children". It's entertainment, not rocket science.

[This message has been edited by DiscoJones (edited 01-03-2001).]

DanT
01-03-2001, 07:00 PM
I saw my very first Eminem video last week. I think it was for one of his more famous songs (Will the Real Slim Shady Please Stand Up? or something like that.) Anyway, I thought it was very clever and I can see how so many folks recognize and enjoy the guy's talent.

The thing that I can't understand is how that one classic rock song that goes "You're as cold as ICE, you're willing to sacriFICE our love?" ever sold so many records. I mean, how seriously unartistic does one have to be to consider that listenable, let alone purchaseable, music? (I'm assuming the lyrics carry that song because the instrumental don't seem particularly impressive but, then again, as someone who grew up in the inner-city and who now mostly listens to classical music, I'm not particularly qualified to comment on what kinds of riffs get rhythmless greasers to put down their bongs and listen.) http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif