PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs D - Given up 234 yard avg per game and 10.6 points avg per game.

Ari Chi3fs
10-01-2006, 07:44 PM
When Final stats come out tomorrow, this would put the Chiefs at 3rd overall for D yardage.

And given up 32 points overall... which is 10.6 points a game, which places them at about 5th overall.

Damn.

Count Zarth
10-01-2006, 07:46 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7411/05coachnx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hydrae
10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Keep f'n doubting the Gun!

Kerberos
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Keep f'n doubting the Gun!

I will have to admit that so far it seems like a coaching staff change and a new HC has given life to our D the last 3 games under Gunther. Lets see if it lasts!

Anyong Bluth
10-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm hoping its more to do with Herm than anything thing else, b/c if its just Gun getting his own coaches DAMN dick for not just giving his buddies paychex!

Hydrae
10-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm hoping its more to do with Herm than anything thing else, b/c if its just Gun getting his own coaches DAMN dick for not just giving his buddies paychex!

No, it's about taking 3 years for the players to totally 'get' what Gun is trying to do. He has always said it takes that long.

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Sure is nice to see Hicks on the sideline and no Sims or Siavi

splatbass
10-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I will have to admit that so far it seems like a coaching staff change and a new HC has given life to our D the last 3 games under Gunther. Lets see if it lasts!

I said last year that not having enough talent, and being stuck with assistants that he didn't want was the problem with Gun. He proved in his first stint as DC that he can coach. This year they got him some better players and let him choose his own assistants, and it has really made a difference.

Halfcan
10-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Hali is looking like a stud-he was everywhere today.

Count Zarth
10-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Hali is just another version of Hicks, man!

unlurking
10-01-2006, 08:27 PM

Yep, but I'm sure all we'll hear here is that Herm did it all and Gun is just a little bitch.

big nasty kcnut
10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Gunther the master. I believe that gunther is behind this but had a little help from herm.

Fruit Ninja
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
The 3 year rule. Some teams get it faster then others, but you gotta give them at least 3 years, If in the 3rd year they are a total bust then its time to start asking for a noose.

GUn showed Signs of Turning the team around last year, they flashed. Now he got his new assistance, everyone is more knowledgeable of what he is trying to do, and its showing. I think even if Vermeil was still coaching we would still have a damn good Defense.

keg in kc
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I think even if Vermeil was still coaching we would still have a damn good Defense.I think the staff turnover is a big part of it, and I don't think that would have happened under Vermeil.

Either way, he retired, so it's kind of a moot point.

Skip Towne
10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
I can't help but note that Gun does well under defensive minded Head Coaches but not so well under basically O coaches (DV). It's possible that Gun just needs the help of someone who knows defense. Maybe Gun was just Peter Principled into the DC job. Maybe he should be a career LB coach. ?????

Chiefs Pantalones
10-01-2006, 08:50 PM
It's just the third game for us overall, so don't get too hyped. We play the best WR trio in the league next Sunday and a good RB in Edge James. Hopefully our D can stop them and our O can do some damage against their defense.

Coach
10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Here's something that will get the defensive homers a raging hard-on.

Currently, the Chiefs D has not given up a TD in 10 quarters. The record is from 11/23/97 to 12/14/97 which was 11 quarters.

Amazing...

Chiefs Pantalones
10-01-2006, 09:39 PM

Currently, the Chiefs D has not given up a TD in 10 quarters. The record is from 11/23/97 to 12/14/97 which was 11 quarters.

Amazing...

Also, the Chiefs haven't given up a TD pass in their first three games. That's a franchise first.

PastorMikH
10-01-2006, 10:00 PM
This stat caught me by surprise...

From KCChiefs.com...

Tynesí Moves Up FG Chart: K Lawrence Tynes connected on FGs of 22 and 49 yards. He now has 49 made FGs as a member of the Chiefs, moving him into a tie for fourth in franchise history with K L!^ E!!10t.

I didn't think lin made that many FGs here. I do know if he had made 50 we would have went to the SB.

CupidStunt
10-02-2006, 01:53 AM
One key point is that we haven't played trash.

People will be quick to dismiss the 49ers but they were a solid offensive football team before yesterday. Among most the Broncos are highly underrated on this forum but they're decent and will run over everyone. And the Bengals are an elite offensive team.

A nuthair more than 10 points per game and **** all yardage, considering the opposition, circumstances and help from the offense in two of those games, is OUTSTANDING defense.

tk13
10-02-2006, 02:06 AM
If there's one thing Herm knows it's defense, he's going to keep pushing this D to get better. I don't care who we've played, those are good numbers. We weren't putting up these kind of stats against inferior offenses before, some of these defensive streaks go back to Marty's era or beyond. It's still a pretty good accomplishment.

HemiEd
10-02-2006, 05:09 AM
No, it's about taking 3 years for the players to totally 'get' what Gun is trying to do. He has always said it takes that long.

Yep, a lot talent has been drafted on defense along with the free agents.

crossbow
10-02-2006, 06:51 AM
DJ has got the defense down now. He looked great all day. It is easy to see why he is a first round draft choice. Detroit is going to regret passing on him for years. Did I see Key Fox out there today? The linebacking corps has gone from a liability to a strength which is a Gunther trademark. So I guess it is better players and coaches that has improved this defense so much. Not much else you can change is there?

Lzen
10-02-2006, 08:26 AM

Amazing...

1997 was also the year that the Chiefs didn't give up a 2nd half TD in 10 games.

Lzen
10-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm sticking by the belief that Gun could only do so much without be able to select his own assistants. Add in the talent that they've added on the defensive side of the ball the last couple years and he's finally got it going. I'm sure having Herm as your HC helps, as well. I agree with Kyle. I don't think Gun would've been able to change his coaching staff if Vermeil were still here.

htismaqe
10-02-2006, 08:33 AM
3.9 yards per carry. The key to a great defense. Not far to go now.

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2006, 08:48 AM
So official stats are out, and KC is 3rd in Yards given up, and 6th in total points given up.

http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2006/regular

Easy 6
10-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Also, the Chiefs haven't given up a TD pass in their first three games. That's a franchise first.
THAT IS something to really be proud of and a great barometer of progress.

CoMoChief
10-02-2006, 08:54 AM
This defense has improved dramatically.

To not allow DEN to score a TD at Mile High itself is a great accomplishment. We should have won that game and should be tied for 1st in the division. But coulda woulda shoulda, sometimes things don't fall your way in a game. Having that said you gotta give props to the defense for keeping us in that game and allowing us to lead for the majority of that game.

The Ciny game was in particular our offense's fault. You can't turn the ball over that many times and give the opposing team that good of field position and expect a high powered offense like that not score. Most of their points in the 2nd half were FG's. It was the first reg season game so their were kinks everywhere in that game. We allowed them to make only a couple big plays that game.

Even though it was the 49ers, shutting out a team in the NFL is very hard to do. In this league it's any given SUN. I still think we need to get more pressure from the front 4. I also think that we need to let Law and Surtain jam WR's at the line so they can't run their routes and send the ****ing house GUN style. A QB can't complete passes if there are 6 guys immediately up in his face when the WR's aren't open and are jammed at the line. Leinart next week would be the perfect QB to do that to. I also think that Page and Pollard need to play more. We need to be fast on defense.

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
I particularly liked it when the defense gave the look like they were bringing the house... then right before the snap 3 men dropped back into coverage. I dont think that i have ever seen that executed as well by the Chiefs until yesterday.

That was great.

Count Zarth
10-02-2006, 09:46 AM
We should continue to play well on defense for the next 3 games. Arizona sucks, the Steelers look like shite on offense right now and the Chargers have a young QB. Plus, we owned their offense last time we played.