PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats That Underscores Chiefs Defensive Improvement

RINGLEADER
10-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Out of all the stats that showcase the improvements that the Chiefs Defense has made through the first three games it has to be the Downs stats. How many times in the past three or four seasons did we have opponents facing third and long (sometimes third and forever) only to convert? That, thankfully to say, just isn't happening this season. To wit:

Chiefs' First Downs Allowed: 40 (Second only behind San Diego's 37)

Chiefs' Opponents Third Down Conversions: 25.0% - 10 of 40 (Third behind only San Diego's 22.9% and Chicago's 20.9% as of the third quarter of the Sunday Night Game)

Throw in no TDs in the last ten quarters, opponents scoring averaging 10.6 ppg, etc., etc. and I'd say we have a pretty damn good unit through the first quarter of the season.

keg in kc
10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know the exact stat, but it's either the first time in team history we've started the season not allowing a passing TD for 3 games, or the first time in team history we've gone 3 consecutive games without allowing a TD reception.

Either way, after watching our secondary get lit up year after year, it's a drastic change.

And it's impressive in team history terms, too, because it's not like we've never had good defenses/secondaries here...

Lzen
10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Good stuff. Of course, all one needs to really do is to watch them play. It's obvious that this year's team is much more physical. Add to that the improved tackling and the execution of a sound scheme and you have a very good defense.

petegz28
10-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Well consider we had a buy other tams haven't. But in turn we have played 2 playoff teams and most other teams haven't.

Halfcan
10-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Page once again made a big play. GWes seems like he has been everywhere this year. And Knight gets another pic-for 38 in his career. I think we are loaded back there.

Ari Chi3fs
10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I like how our defense is SWARMING to the ball like hornets. Where there was typically just one guy around the ball, now there are several. Its amazing.

petegz28
10-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Page once again made a big play. GWes seems like he has been everywhere this year. And Knight gets another pic-for 38 in his career. I think we are loaded back there.

don't forget the slant route Law jumped!

Count Zarth
10-01-2006, 08:28 PM
don't forget the slant route Law jumped!

BONER WORTHY

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5576/fullgetty71465309dp018sanfrancisco51223pmzb6.jpg

runnercyclist
10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
It's fun to watch a defense that plays defense

CupidStunt
10-02-2006, 01:58 AM
I feel like I'm repeating myself, and I am, but I continue to make a point of the opposition, too.

Chicago played a questionable Seahawks offense (great in one game, trash in two others and good against a shitty Cards team) and the Chargers have faced 3 horseshit offensive football teams.

Cincy, Denver and SF can move the football.