PDA

View Full Version : From NFLScoop - Peterson Demands Changes

TheFly
01-02-2001, 12:22 AM
Posted on 12/31/2000

While you were reading our Friday morning story about a possible shake-up at Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Gunther Cunningham and President/GM Carl Peterson sat down and talked about the upcoming season. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that Peterson is demanding Cunningham to fire almost his entire coaching staff if he wants to retain his job. Cunningham still has two years left on his contract and has spent the last week evaluating his staff. <P>

Yosef_Malkovitch
01-02-2001, 03:03 AM
That's not good enough, IMO. Gun was the guy who hired these morons in the first place, and the one who refused to do what so obviously needed to be done with them after last season. If Gun stays, he's just gonna hire new stooges and we get another 8-8 season.

Also, I got the strong feeling that Grunny will stay for another year if and only if Gun goes. If Gun goes then the new coach will cut out a lot of the dead weight (something Gun seems unwilling or unable to do) which seems to be what Grunny wants.

HC_Chief
01-02-2001, 07:14 AM
That's not 100% accurate, Yosef. Gun retained the Three Stooges - he did not hire them initially.

Spott
01-02-2001, 07:28 AM
I didn't know Gun could fire anybody. I thought Carl Peterson was in charge of making all the personnel decisions.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

morphius
01-02-2001, 07:35 AM
Mizzou - Carl gives Gun control of the coaching staff, but like most jobs needs a good reason to fire someone, since they are under contract. Any other way would be painful for any caoch to survive. I'm sure Gun has to run it through Carl who and when he plans to get rid of someone.

Spott
01-02-2001, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Morph.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

TheFly
01-02-2001, 05:50 PM
I'm betting that Carl is giving Gun only one way to save his job, by firing everyone else. I wonder how that will go over with the players? I wonder how it will look to the fans?

I'd rather see Gun be loyal and get canned. He earned it and deserves to be fired for his inconsistent coaching.<BR>

TheFly
01-03-2001, 10:47 PM
Well, it looks to me that:

a) Gun WAS loyal to his coaches and chose to be canned with them rather than fire them, as he has consistently refused to do for the last two years, and

b) Carl was NOT gonna let Gun ruin his own career!

Wow! The season sucked but the offseason sure has been a lot of fun!