PDA

View Full Version : Martyball kills any chance to put the hammer down.

sd4chiefs
10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Good old Martyball. :thumb:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061002/news_1s2sullivan.html

BALTIMORE – Marty Schottenheimer's standard operating procedure is strangely similar to Dr. No's.

Give the Chargers' head coach the chance to go for the jugular, to put an abrupt end to his adversary, and he has a bad habit of stringing the scene out for its torture potential. Either he's watched too few James Bond films, or too many Muhammad Ali fights.

One of these days, Mr. Martyball is going to hang himself playing rope-a-dope.
Yesterday's 16-13 loss to the Baltimore Ravens reprised a familiar theme from last season – another fourth-quarter failure by the Chargers; another game that appeared won and ended in agonizing bewilderment.

Early in the third quarter, 24 yards from the Baltimore goal, the Chargers were afforded an opportunity to step on the Ravens' throats. But on third down, needing 6 yards to prolong the possession, Team Imagination ran its seventh straight running play for a net gain of 2 yards.

When Nate Kaeding then sliced a 40-yard field-goal attempt wide to the right, the Chargers retained their 13-7 lead, but had clearly lost the initiative. They would generate exactly two first downs over the last 26 minutes and throw only four second-half passes until the last 29 seconds of the game.

Schottenheimer plays it so close to the vest sometimes that he could easily be mistaken for a watch fob. Yesterday, when he had the chance to tell the Ravens, “Nevermore,” his conservatism may well have kept them alive.

“A couple of those runs on third down were kind of based on what we saw during the week,” Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said. “They (the Ravens) like to run guys all over the place and bring a lot of pressure. If you get caught up trying to identify everybody and protect the pass, it can hurt you.”

Schottenheimer has won a lot of NFL games by effectively managing his downside risk. But the enduring rap on him as a head coach is that he rarely dares to be great; that his strategic thrust is to kill the clock rather than the opposition.

Some of this is oversimplification. “The opponent you're playing drives almost everything you do,” Schottenheimer said. Still, the image endures. Like Robert E. Lee, who was once mocked as “The King of Spades” because of his emphasis on digging trenches, Schottenheimer needs to do something audacious if he wants to repair his reputation.

Do not, however, hold your breath.

Now that he's armed with a dominating defense, Schottenheimer is unlikely to go all Don Coryell on us, particularly with a quarterback in his first season as an NFL starter. He's going to rely on his running game (LaDainian Tomlinson), play field position with a terrific punter (Mike Scifres) and depend on his defense to push 'em back, push 'em back, waaaaaay back.

“They have one of the best defenses I've probably ever seen,” Baltimore defensive end Trevor Pryce said of the Chargers. “I think teams in the AFC West are going to have hell on their hands with that team.”

Most weeks, that ought to be enough. Most weeks, the Chargers can probably prevail with one arm tied behind Rivers' back – even the right one.

Yet if they are to aspire to a championship, and secure the home-field advantages that help ensure it, the Chargers need to seize those games that are within their grasp. No one expected them to go undefeated – and no one should expect them to go 15-1 – but they shouldn't be squandering games to teams that muster 206 yards of total offense and one decent sustained drive.

They can't depend on the defense to bear an imbalanced burden on a weekly basis, though that's how things have looked so far.

“I'm at the point now where nothing surprises me at all,” said Tomlinson, admittedly “worn down” by this defeat. “We've just got to be able to deal with the situation. It don't matter what happens, we've got to deal with it . . .

“We know they (the Ravens) are aggressive. So at the end, they turned it up a notch and the crowd got loud – even on defense they turned it up a notch – and we stayed the same. When you play good teams, you've got to match their intensity. You've got to match their aggressiveness. And we didn't do it.”

Later, upon cross-examination, Tomlinson clarified that he was referring to the Chargers' energy rather than their play-calling. For their part, Charger defenders carefully avoided expressing any concerns about the other side of the ball.

“They gave us a lead,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “It doesn't matter if it's one point or it's 20 points – all we ask for is the lead. We had that today and we couldn't finish it.

“I'm not going to say that they have to do this or they have to do that. Their job is to give us the lead. . . . If it's 3-0 with two minutes in the game and we have to go out there series after series to stop them, we feel like we have the guys on this team that can do that. And we weren't able to do that today.”

To his credit, Castillo was quick to say whatever best served team harmony. Yet once the Chargers established a 13-7 halftime lead, Schottenheimer essentially sat on his lead until it evaporated.

The offense's greatest contribution thereafter may have been when wide receiver Keenan McCardell helped linebacker Donnie Edwards adjust the collar of his lime green dress shirt after the game.

Edwards looked immaculate. The Chargers' record, not so much.

ChiefaRoo
10-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Mar - teee ... Mar - teee..... Mar - tee....

I used to think he was jinxed but you know what? he brings it on himself and I don't feel bad for him anymore. In fact, where do I go to get my mid 1990's back?

Halfcan
10-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I Never liked Marty-he is a dumbazz.

FringeNC
10-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Don Banks rips on Marty, too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/10/01/week4.nfl.chargers.ravens/?cnn=yes

Money quote:

"In trying to post their third consecutive win to open the season, they left with you with the distinct impression that their goal was simply not to lose. When they could least afford it, they opted to merely protect their lead, rather than increase it. The result? It vanished, of course.

the Talking Can
10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
sounds a lot like our loss in denver

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
That's while I'll win a Super Bowl before Marty ever does. F*ck that Greg Hill girlfriend f*cking motherf*cker.

Quoth the Jenkins, nevermore.

el borracho
10-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Wide right on a 40 yard field goal? More and more I am glad the Chargers got Kaeding and we got Tynes.

Raiderhader
10-02-2006, 12:06 PM
It was great yesterday, I was sitting next to a SD fan and his wife at the sports bar. I had actually met the guy last season and we have had several discussions about Martyball. He knows what to expect, but he still holds out hope. I just kept reminding him of the inevitable through the course of the game. Needless to say, he was a bit upset when it was all said and done.

Donger
10-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Don Banks rips on Marty, too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/10/01/week4.nfl.chargers.ravens/?cnn=yes

Money quote:

"In trying to post their third consecutive win to open the season, they left with you with the distinct impression that their goal was simply not to lose. When they could least afford it, they opted to merely protect their lead, rather than increase it. The result? It vanished, of course.

Remarkably, when asked if he once again regretted going conservative at the key point in a losing game, Schottenheimer responded as if the charge were a relatively new one.

"I don't think we do that,'' said the man who has led 12 of his teams to the playoffs but never advanced past the conference-title-game round. "I think we do what we think we have to do to win the game.''

LMAO

siberian khatru
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
"Twenty of San Diego's first 24 play calls in the second half were runs, and the Chargers called only nine passes in the final two quarters, five of them in the game's final 34 seconds, when they frantically tried to get in range for a game-tying field goal."

runnercyclist
10-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I Never liked Marty-he is a dumbazz.

I like him as the San Diego coach

runnercyclist
10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
sounds a lot like our loss in denver

I think Herm was as hesitant as the rest of us to have Huard open it up. I still think Huard is average at best but if teams put 8-9 in the box he can play. If they don't it's a serious dose of LJ.

sd4chiefs
10-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Charger fans are pissed.

http://forum.signonsandiego.com/upload/showthread.php?t=65827

Fire Me Boy!
10-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Wide right on a 40 yard field goal? More and more I am glad the Chargers got Kaeding and we got Tynes.
Yeah, because we know that Tynes has never missed from 30-in... like on extra points... more than once... or twice.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tynes and he's one of the better kickers we've had, but everyone misses one now and again. Kaeding has been a solid contributor for them, hence his recently-signed 6-year contract extension.

Gaz
10-02-2006, 12:18 PM
www.firemarty.com should be up soon.

Heh.

xoxo~
Gaz
Glad to see Marty still has the gleam.

Bowser
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Brutal. The Chargers beat guy seems just a touch pissed. LMAO

"Team Imagination"? I like it! LMAO

Donger
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Charger fans are pissed.

http://forum.signonsandiego.com/upload/showthread.php?t=65827

LMAO LMAO

Marty Schottenheimer is not an idiot.
Marty Schottenheimer is an intelligent man and a great football instructor.

Marty Schottenheimer also has raisins in his shorts.

Calcountry
10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Wide right on a 40 yard field goal? More and more I am glad the Chargers got Kaeding and we got Tynes.Tynes would have nailed that 53 Yarder, instead, he nailed that pooch punt.

Calcountry
10-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah, because we know that Tynes has never missed from 30-in... like on extra points... more than once... or twice.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tynes and he's one of the better kickers we've had, but everyone misses one now and again. Kaeding has been a solid contributor for them, hence his recently-signed 6-year contract extension.So why does this fact seem to escape the "martyball" paradigm.

In their world, a missed field goal doesn't exist.

Sometimes, risking an interception is about equal in game risk, to missing a field goal, especially when the reward opportunity affords 4 more points.

Calcountry
10-02-2006, 01:03 PM
It was great yesterday, I was sitting next to a SD fan and his wife at the sports bar. I had actually met the guy last season and we have had several discussions about Martyball. He knows what to expect, but he still holds out hope. I just kept reminding him of the inevitable through the course of the game. Needless to say, he was a bit upset when it was all said and done.Dang, you are almost as good as all the Jets "Herm will kill you" trolls. :LOL:

Calcountry
10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
I like him as the San Diego coachHey, they are the best 2-1 team in the league.

Raiderhader
10-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Dang, you are almost as good as all the Jets "Herm will kill you" trolls. :LOL:

Except I have a bit more history to look at with Marty as a HC than do the Jets' trolls with Herm.

Kyle401
10-02-2006, 01:46 PM
If Martyball is responsible for all of Schottenheimer's losses, is it not also responsible for all of his wins?

Marty is a good coach with a stellar career record and an excellent history of getting his teams to the playoffs. Yes I know he hasn't done too well in the playoffs, but I would still rather not face his team twice a year.

Brock
10-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes I know he hasn't done too well in the playoffs, but I would still rather not face his team twice a year.

I'd be more than happy to see him on the other sideline in January.

cdcox
10-02-2006, 02:10 PM
The first two KC games had me worried. I'm glad we saw no signs of Martyball yesterday. I think Herm may have finally learned his lesson, thanks to all the harping on this BB.

Kyle401
10-02-2006, 02:13 PM

We have to get there first.

Brock
10-02-2006, 02:14 PM
We have to get there first.

No shit? I didn't know that.

Kyle401
10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
The first two KC games had me worried. I'm glad we saw no signs of Martyball yesterday. I think Herm may have finally learned his lesson, thanks to all the harping on this BB.

LMAO I'm pretty sure that Herm has an assistant whose job is to discern the collective planet wisdom and implement it in the game plan. Look for the Chiefs to avoid moving to a 4-4 defense... Thanks to the Planet!

Kyle401
10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
No shit? I didn't know that.

Glad I could be of assistance.

tk13
10-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Herm is going to be more conservative than Vermeil/Saunders... but I still don't think he's quite "Marty". Herm once won a playoff game 41-0. Marty has never done anything close to that, even his few playoff wins weren't by nearly that much. And I'm honestly not sure Marty ever will.

KC-TBB
10-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I think Herm's needling of Solari may have worked, if you listned to Herm after the first 2 games he basically said, "I'm not calling those plays". I think they had a great time for a bye week...for once it seemed to really work in our favor!

Skip Towne
10-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Chance are, he'll be there and we won't.

KCChiefsFan88
10-02-2006, 03:51 PM
This needs to be plastered over every wall at One Arrowhead Dr... just in CASE Herm ever has the urge to go back towards his Martyball roots

Baby Lee
10-02-2006, 03:53 PM
This needs to be plastered over every wall at One Arrowhead Dr... just in CASE Herm ever has the urge to go back towards his Martyball roots
Why would Herm re-enter the Minority Coaching Fellowship?

Brock
10-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Chance are, he'll be there and we won't.

sorry to hear you've thrown in the towel.

Skip Towne
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
sorry to hear you've thrown in the towel.
I haven't thrown in the towel. It's just that Marty makes the playoffs and we don't.

Brock
10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
I haven't thrown in the towel. It's just that Marty makes the playoffs and we don't.

He's made the playoffs once in the past 5 years, just like the chiefs.