PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for defensive improvement

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 11:43 AM
I realize that we're only approximately 3/16ths of the way through the season (excluding the bye week), but it does indeed appear that the defense is improved. What are the main reasons, in your esteemed opinion?

Brock
10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
1. Herman.
2. Edwards.

FAX
10-02-2006, 11:45 AM
When you plot it out on a graph, Mr. Rain Man, our tit is somewhat to the right of the opponent's tit. Plus, it's a much more attractive color.

This is the only explanation I can think of.

FAX

Count Alex's Wins
3. Lack of Dick.

CupidStunt
Reed
Edwards
Hali
Allen, Johnson's continued development
Law
Knight and Wesley not sucking pole

Gun's less overaggressive play-calling

And Herm Edwards.

Count Alex's Wins
10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
4. Lack of Warfield
5. Lack of Bartee

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
It's a mixture of Gunther's scheme settling in, a hell of a lot more talent, new (read: competent to coach in the NFL) defensive assistants, and an increased focus on the defensive side of the ball.

FAX
10-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Clearly, the team is playing with more confidence.

It's the security that comes from the knowledge that, no matter what happens, there are motherf*ckin' figs in the fridge.

FAX

cdcox
Al Saunders isn't around to ruin the defense by scoring too much.

MichaelH
Herman Edwards dedicating more time to the defense in practice. He has made them feel more important and they now have attitude. To Dick, they were useless players that played when the offense wasn't on the field.

CupidStunt
10-02-2006, 11:49 AM
To Dick, they were useless players that played when the offense wasn't on the field.

:LOL:

So true to boot.

Gravedigger
10-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I think it's just a great combination of players. The secondary is now combined with savvy veterans (Surtain, Law, Knight) mixed with fast headhunters (Pollard, Page, Wesley, DJ, Kawika). The Dline is very well balanced the DT's aren't getting at the quarterback but they are collapsing the inner three back while the DE's are spreading out the OT's with their speed and that opens up holes for blitz packages for our headhunters. All in all I'm impressed with the speed and combination of talent myself.

Gaz
10-02-2006, 11:54 AM
It's a mixture of Gunther's scheme settling in, a hell of a lot more talent, new (read: competent to coach in the NFL) defensive assistants, and an increased focus on the defensive side of the ball.

What he said.

xoxo~
Gaz
Simply giddy with delight.

kaplin42
10-02-2006, 11:54 AM
First I would like to state that I don't want to get too excited over yesterdays game, it was after all against the 49ers. I am not ready to declare us the world champs just yet.

On the bright side, we did what good teams are supposed to do to bad teams, we b'tch slapped the 49ers up and down the field.

What I think has improved the D is a few things. Coaching for one, we have a coach that is inspirring and is focusing on the D, it will get better or people will be riding the pine, simple as that. Plus a change to the whole philosophy has helped. Position changes in the front 4. The fact that Hicks is not in there by itself helps alot, not to mention that Hali is actually producing. The DT play while not stellar is better than it has been the last few seasons. And of course, Allen is just being himself and causing havoc all over the place. Same goes for the DB situation, getting rid of McCleon was basicaly addition by subtraction, and although I was skepticle about Walls he seems to be pulling his weight. With Surtain and Law out there it is giving us better pass coverage which is giving the line a little more time to get to the QB. Finally, as much as I thought Mitchel was a bust in his first few seasons, I will whole heartidly eat my crow for that, he has turned into a leader and a great MLB for us, paired with DJ we have a great LB corps with the weak link being Bell, who I wonder if he relizes he is playing football or not.

We may not be the best D in the league, but at least by the end of the season, teams will start respecting us.

Fish
10-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Other: Fig F*cking Newtons

Hoover
10-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I think it was the scouting you did at the begal store before the game.

FAX
10-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Did you ever notice that when you place two bagel slices side by side, they look like breaded tits?

FAX

Mr. Laz
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
coaching

Inspector
10-02-2006, 12:11 PM
3. Lack of Dick.

Maybe you will get a date next weekend.

StcChief
10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Improvements in all phases of D play, Depth, personnel on/off field, schemes.

A breath of Fresh air in the team. Not offense vs Defense it's now a team.

Slowing the O down has helped as well.

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
The ascention of DJ should be up there too

Easy 6
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
IMO its talent and even more importantly Herm n' Gun have blended their philosophies. Gun gives this version of the Tamba2 an edge with his aggressiveness and Herms style tempers Guns penchant for gettin' too frisky and giving up a torchers.

RedThat
10-02-2006, 12:25 PM
IMO, its a little bit of everything.

-New positional coaches have made a difference

-More talent and less scrubs on that side of the ball. Ala Hali, Law, Reed.

-New head coach. Different attitude and philosophy.

runnercyclist
10-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Most of the above.

I especially love the "earn your PT on the DL" philosophy.

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
While they're all positives, I think the three biggest positive changes are:

1. General improvement of the holdovers, by whom I mean Allen, Mitchell, and DJ. Those guys are markedly improved over last year based on the little I've seen of them. (Of course, this could be a product of coaching...)

2. Hali replacing Hicks. Hali is a savvy player with a quick first step and good size. I'm liking this pick.

3. Improved position coaching. I can't vouch for this, but something is different, and our guys are going full-speed now instead of being tentative, and they're beating their opponents. Maybe that's an overall philosophy or enthusiasm, but I tend to think it's more concrete than merely taking their leashes off.

FAX
10-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Did you ever notice that when you order fried eggs, they sometimes look like Asian tits over easy?

FAX

JazzzLovr
10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
2. Hali replacing Hicks. Hali is a savvy player with a quick first step and good size. I'm liking this pick.

This just reminded me... Did anyone else catch Kendall Gammon's interview of Eric Hicks on the jumbotron at the game?

They were at the circus, and Kendall asked him if the Chiefs were a circus, what part would his teammates play. Eric first said that Trent would be ringmaster, because he's the leader of the team. He mentioned someone else, but I couldn't hear that one. Then Kendall asked him what HE (Eric) would be...

"Probably a tiger! Because of my cat-like quickness!"

LMAO

Kyle401
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Dear Mr. Rain Man,

You may now check item #5 off of your goals for the season list.

Sincerely,
Larry "Diapers" Johnson

Easy 6
10-02-2006, 12:58 PM
This just reminded me... Did anyone else catch Kendall Gammon's interview of Eric Hicks on the jumbotron at the game?

They were at the circus, and Kendall asked him if the Chiefs were a circus, what part would his teammates play. Eric first said that Trent would be ringmaster, because he's the leader of the team. He mentioned someone else, but I couldn't hear that one. Then Kendall asked him what HE (Eric) would be...

"Probably a tiger! Because of my cat-like quickness!"

LMAO
Ya' gotta love a guy who can laugh at himself LMAO