PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is going on???

Thig Lyfe
10-02-2006, 11:33 AM
First, the Colorado H.S. hostage crisis.

Then a kid in Wisconsin shooting his Principal.

Now this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/10/02/amish.shooting/

Reports: At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting
POSTED: 1725 GMT (0125 HKT), October 2, 2006
Adjust font size:
LANCASTER COUNTY, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- A lone gunman killed as many as six people in a one-room Amish schoolhouse before killing himself, initial reports said.

The man walked into the Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, schoolhouse Monday and ordered some students to leave before opening fire on the remaining students.

Pennsylvania state police spokesman Jack Lewis told CNN that the gunman shot and killed at least three students before turning the gun on himself.

A number of other children have been seriously injured, he said.

He said he did not know the motive for the attack. Watch police investigate shooting scene -- 1:00()

The county coroner said at least six people were killed in the shooting, The Associated Press reported.

Lancaster General Hospital initially received three young patients, ages 6 to 15 -- one in critical condition -- and expects to receive three more patients soon, spokeswoman Kim Hatch told CNN shortly after 1 p.m.

The three initial patients were transferred to other hospitals: two to Hershey Medical Center and the other to Children's Hospital in Philadelphia, she said.

Lancaster County's 911 Web site reported dozens of emergency vehicles -- including at least nine ambulances -- were dispatched to Bart Township shortly before 11 a.m. for a "medical emergency."

Video of the scene showed Amish young men wearing hats and suspenders and women and girls in long dresses sitting outside the small country schoolhouse, surrounded by dirt roads.

Horse-drawn carriages could be seen in a nearby parking lot.

Copyright 2006 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

Thig Lyfe
10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/10/02/lasvegas.schools.ap/index.html

Report of armed teen sparks schools lockdown
POSTED: 1618 GMT (0018 HKT), October 2, 2006
Adjust font size:
NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- Two schools were locked down Monday while police searched for a teenager who had been spotted on a high school campus with a gun, authorities said.

No students were hurt, and police said there was no initial indication that the teenager, who they said was not a student, had threatened anyone with the weapon, said Sean Walker, a North Las Vegas police spokesman.

The teen ran from the school after being confronted by campus police as students were arriving at Mojave High School, Walker said. (Watch Vegas police respond to the report of the armed teen -- 1:00)

A handgun was found behind a nearby church, and both the high school and nearby Elizondo Elementary School were locked down while police searched the surrounding neighborhoods for the teen, Walker said.

School districts across the country have been especially sensitive to threats after deadly shootings last week at schools in Wisconsin and Colorado.

On Friday, a school principal was gunned down in Cazenovia, Wisconsin, and a 15-year-old student, described as upset over a reprimand, was charged with murder. Just two days earlier, an adult gunman held six girls hostage in a school at Bailey, Colorado, before killing a 16-year-old girl and then himself.

On September 21, three high school seniors in Green Bay, Wisconsin, were charged with conspiracy to commit homicide for allegedly planning to attack a school with guns and bombs.

---

Didn't even know about the Green Bay stuff.

FAX
10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Unbelievable. I wish these idiots would refrain from killing themselves so we could enjoy the pleasure of doing the job on their behalf.

FAX

JBucc
10-02-2006, 11:37 AM
You gotta be fugged up in the head to go after some Amish folk.

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Unbelievable. I wish these idiots would refrain from killing themselves so we could enjoy the pleasure of doing the job on their behalf.

FAX

Gang raped in prison until the bleed to death out of their bungholes would be appropriate.

Hound333
These are the kids that used to just kill themselves or drug themselves to death. Now they want a little "TO look at me" time before they off themselves.

CosmicPal
If home schooling hasn't taken off yet, it will very soon.

Thig Lyfe
10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
You gotta be fugged up in the head to go after some Amish folk.

The guy must have really loved technology.

"USE A PHONE!!!!" Bang bang bang!!!

DMAC
10-02-2006, 11:41 AM
I blame Ozzie Osbourne and video games. :spock: :rolleyes:

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 11:43 AM
You'd think they could have jumped him while he was replacing the flint and tamping the powder down the barrel between shots.

[Sorry, couldn't resist. This is indeed a tragic shooting, another incident where a loser attacks defenseless people because he can't get his own life in order.]

CosmicPal
10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
another incident where a loser attacks defenseless people because he can't get his own life in order.]

Sounds like everyone over at the 'Mange.

:D

CosmicPal
10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
These are the kids that used to just kill themselves or drug themselves to death. Now they want a little "TO look at me" time before they off themselves.

And who do you supposed is the blame for that?

Uhhhhh?

The media, perhaps?

Hound333
10-02-2006, 11:50 AM
And who do you supposed is the blame for that?

Uhhhhh?

The media, perhaps?

No I fully blame the media for their roles in this. They are a big reason the copycat issues are still around. The media likes to act like its all about getting us the information. They aren't. Its about making money.

DaFace
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Bizarre. :shake:

FAX
10-02-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't blame the media. I don't blame the gun manufacturers. I don't blame school security.

I blame the idiots who do these things. I honestly believe that, were we to publicly burn a few of these morons at the stake, this would stop.

FAX

Hog Farmer
10-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Lets Blame Carl!

Robo-Chachi
10-02-2006, 11:56 AM

FAX

What I wish is that these "people" would just commit suicide and leave everyone else alone. I really hate murder-suicides. If you want to die fine, but leave everyone else out of it you miserable pricks.

I read a story a few weeks back about a father going to the college where his 2 sons were attending, killing them and then killing himself.

Hound333
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't blame the media. I don't blame the gun manufacturers. I don't blame school security.

I blame the idiots who do these things. I honestly believe that, were we to publicly burn a few of these morons at the stake, this would stop.

FAX

Yes ultimately the dumbasses who can't handle life are to blame. The part I blame the media for is the massive coverage they give to it. Its a small part because the media isn't making them do anything. Its just giving them the vehicle to get what they want. Someone to notice them.

Lonewolf Ed
10-02-2006, 11:59 AM

FAX

True, but good luck getting the ACLU to side with you on that.

CosmicPal
10-02-2006, 11:59 AM
No I fully blame the media for their roles in this. They are a big reason the copycat issues are still around. The media likes to act like its all about getting us the information. They aren't. Its about making money.

The answer should be, "Yes". 'Cause I fully agree with you.

However, I think kids should stop being pussies about everything these days. I'll never forget the day Columbine occured. I was here in Denver and a friend of mine and I watched that event unfold from beginning to end on TV. Every local channel had it on. There were TWO things I remember most about it- 1. Was how a local reporter, after an hour or more had transpired on the live telecast, excused the length of the telecast as a means "for parents of the children to know" which I figured was a bullshit excuse to keep televising the event.

The second thing I remember is how my friend said, "Whatever happened to the days of telling the kid to meet you outside after school?"

He was asbolutely correct. Whatever happened to those days? Kids get ticked off or feel left out, and instead of attacking the issue directly-they instead think of how they can use their uncle's hunting equipment and go down in history as the biggest pussy ever: a.k.a. media attention and a possible movie-of-the week in your honor.

CosmicPal
10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I honestly believe that, were we to publicly burn a few of these morons at the stake, this would stop.

FAX

FAX, I have great respect for you, but you've got to be fuggen kidding me?

Ahem- in case you haven't noticed, WE'VE BEEN BURNING PEOPLE AT THE STAKES SINCE THE DAWN OF MAN. IT DOESN'T SOLVE ANYTHING- YOU'VE ONLY GOTTEN RID OF THE PERSON WHO HAD ALREADY DONE WRONG AND HAVEN'T PREVENTED ANOTHER PERSON FROM ACTING OUT THE SAME CRIME.

You can burn all the people you want, but the fact of the matter is- people are going to continue to walk into the schools and kill innocent students and teachers until something is done. And burning people at the stake isn't going to solve that matter one bit.

DaFace
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Blame Canada.

Hound333
10-02-2006, 12:12 PM
This type of activity does worry me. Being a teacher myself I do not want to get caught in the cross-fire of some kid that couldn't handle life. Being a Physical Education teacher I know that many of these students that cannot handle life also do poorly in my class so there is a good chance I am a teacher of opportunity for them.

I do feel somewhat secure that I currently teach K-8 and its usually high school. Of course I will have to keep a watch on the shifty-eyed 1st graders

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Ahem- in case you haven't noticed, WE'VE BEEN BURNING PEOPLE AT THE STAKES SINCE THE DAWN OF MAN. IT DOESN'T SOLVE ANYTHING- YOU'VE ONLY GOTTEN RID OF THE PERSON WHO HAD ALREADY DONE WRONG AND HAVEN'T PREVENTED ANOTHER PERSON FROM ACTING OUT THE SAME CRIME.

I haven't seen a lot of witches around recently.

Robo-Chachi
10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
We need to pass concealed carry laws for our kids. It works so well as a crime deterent outside of school.

FAX
10-02-2006, 12:23 PM

You can burn all the people you want, but the fact of the matter is- people are going to continue to walk into the schools and kill innocent students and teachers until something is done. And burning people at the stake isn't going to solve that matter one bit.

Mr. CosmicPal, you are a poster of great reputability, intelligence, and enormous insight. Plus, your usename is very cool. In all honesty, I would hesitate to disagree with on any subject for fear of embarassing myself. However, I have come to believe that deterrence can be effective, but only when the fear of the punishment outweighs the potential, perceived reward. That's why I am in favor of burning these bastards and broadcasting their horrible, painful, slow death for public consumption.

What happened, for example, when we stopped burning witches? Those ill-attired, scrofulous, repulsive women are everywhere now.

I understand the argument that, through stake burning (or even other punitive measures), one is merely disposing of the actor, not the potential future actors, but what's the harm, really? The bad guy is gone, and the prospect of future bad guys has been, at least to some degree, diminished.

How about an hydrofluoric acid bath? Would you go with that?

FAX

Robo-Chachi
10-02-2006, 12:25 PM

For the same reasons we haven't seen a lot of unicorns or the Lucky Charms leprechaun. Luckily, there have been many people violently murdered for being falsely accused of being a unicorn.

siberian khatru
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Dude was probably looking for Harrison Ford.

Sully
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
In England during the 18th century (I think) they began to have public hangings again.

Crime went up.

Robo-Chachi
10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
This is on CNN now;

The gunman in the Amish school shooting tied together the feet of most female students and allowed boys to leave the building before shooting his victims execution style, police say.

Sounds just like the same damn guy from the other day.

ChiTown
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM

Sometimes MeMe pokes her head in here now and again..............

Robo-Chachi
10-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Another CNN update;

Police say the Amish school shooter was Charles Carl Roberts IV, a milk truck driver, who was seeking to revenge an incident from 20 years ago.

memyselfI
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
This is sad beyond words. School shootings are always sad. This one seems really reprehensible though. What could cause an individual to find that executing a 6 year old Amish girl is something one must do.

ZepSinger
10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
If home schooling hasn't taken off yet, it will very soon.

I know one thing- I am now DAMN glad my wife homeschools our 3 little girls.

Z

Robo-Chachi
10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Home school shootings: the next big thing!

bogie
10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I agree with FAX. If these a-holes didn't off themselves, there should be a horrible death to them.

Baby Lee
10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
The guy must have really loved technology.

"USE A PHONE!!!!" Bang bang bang!!!
http://tinypic.com/9rhxlz.jpg

tk13
10-02-2006, 01:13 PM
He's a 32 year old man with a wife and three kids. Said he left notes at home saying what he was going to do, and his wife contacted him by phone, he said he wasn't coming home and that he loved her. That's apparently where he said it was for something 20 years ago.

CosmicPal
10-02-2006, 01:23 PM
I understand the argument that, through stake burning (or even other punitive measures), one is merely disposing of the actor, not the potential future actors, but what's the harm, really? The bad guy is gone, and the prospect of future bad guys has been, at least to some degree, diminished.

How about an hydrofluoric acid bath? Would you go with that?

FAX

Ouch...that would hurt. LMAO

But, that would probably do it.

I just believe that a punitive reaction doesn't work. As much as I am against the death penalty, I'm for it for only ONE reason: 'cause if something were to ever happen to one of my loved ones, family, or friends- I'd want the person to fry a gruesome, horrible death- such as a hydroflouric acid bath.

I don't have the answers, and I don't think anyone does- but I've got to believe that when we are writing books, producing movies, and showing 24 hours of "school shootings" on CNN, MSNBC, and all the other local and national news channels- then we are giving these losers a voice, a voice to be heard, a voice to be seen, a voice to be RECOGNIZED.

I remember doing a research paper in college on mininum mandatory sentencing, and one of the things I discovered is this paper this guy published regarding interviews he had with prisoners. He discovered after speaking with so many of them that a vast majority of them have always wanted to be famous, and that they soon learned that being INfamous takes very little effort, while being famous takes a LOT of effort and a LOT of luck.

For instance, if I wanted to be famous- I could easily finish what I'm writing right now and walk outside and go on a mad rampage- killing as many civilans as I wanted to. Within 20 mins, I'll be all over the 24 hour news stations, the Denver media will stop regular programming, and every newspaper will be whisking off their reporters including those from UPI and the Associated Press. Within the hour, I'll have reached the rest of the country. After a couple of hours, I'll be global.

The difference between now and say, 1970, is that if I were to go on the same rampage- you wouldn't hear about it until the evening news. It wouldn't be national until tomorrow. And it may or may not go International for a day or more.

But, thanks to our 24 hour coverage, cameras in helicopters, the Internet, and nowadays- even the local news begins as early as 4PM, not to mention- a morning cast, a noon cast, and the regular 5PM cast and 10PM cast. News now takes up nearly half our days of viewing. This is the argument as to why people continue to do what they do. In addition to all of this, you have America's Most Wanted, Cops, and all the other outlets to display your ignorance.

It's too easy to be infamous in modern times. It's still hard as hell to be famous, but it's way too easy to be infamous.

picasso
10-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Dude was probably looking for Harrison Ford.
:LOL:

picasso
10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Home school shootings: the next big thing!

No the mothers just drown them all one by one.

FAX
10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
You make some excellent points, Mr. CosmicPal. You are clearly a man of reasoned thought and it is an honor to discuss this issue with you. Please allow me to submit the following for your consideration ...

Although I don't have a nice tittygraph to prove it, I imagine that, were you to interview 100 prisoners and 100 free persons, the nearly identical percentage of free persons would also state that they would "like to be famous". Although you know much more about this than I, I'm uncertain that the desire for fame alone is the core sponsor of violent behavior directed toward innocent children.

The media certainly heightens interest in these events and provides some perpetrators with an indirect rationale for acting. I would not dispute this. Yet, given a choice between disposing of the media and disposing of a perverted murderer, I would choose the latter.

Finally, prior to engaging in the hypothetical mad rampage, if a nutcase were to stop and think for a moment about the ramifications of the act in the context of his flesh being slowly roasted off his bones, perhaps he would opt for a nice caramel latte and some quiet time alone with his pecker instead?

FAX

picasso
10-02-2006, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=memyselfI]This is sad beyond words. School shootings are always sad.QUOTE]

I'm not pickin' on you memyselfI but it sounds like in your post there is an acceptance of it. That's the real problem I have is that the public has an attitude of acceptance towards it because the shock value is worn off after Columbine. I blame it on the parents of the 70's and 80's that have warped our educational and social system into thinking that a swat on the ass is a terrible thing!! And when your at school the principal will swat your ass if you are unruley!!!

Honestly, bring a gun to school in the late 70's and your ass is torn up!!! First by the Principal, then by your parents.
Now, it's put the kid in juvey for three months at 10 years old and suspend him from his school for a year but then welcome him back at that time with open arms. Then put him through psychotherapy, don't swat him and tell him knock that shit off, let him get poked in the ass by a 15 year old REAL hoodlum in juvey for attempted murder.

In this case and last weeks it's an adult that does this. Don't know what to say to that other than start building fences and having guards at the exits.

Thig Lyfe
10-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Police say the Amish school shooter was Charles Carl Roberts IV, a milk truck driver, who was seeking to revenge an incident from 20 years ago.

That's really weird. What grudge could you possibly have against Amish people, especially one lasting 20 years?

Rain Man
10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
For the same reasons we haven't seen a lot of unicorns or the Lucky Charms leprechaun. Luckily, there have been many people violently murdered for being falsely accused of being a unicorn.

I had no idea that we burned unicorns and leprechauns at the stake, too. That's fascinating.

Calcountry
10-02-2006, 05:35 PM

You can burn all the people you want, but the fact of the matter is- people are going to continue to walk into the schools and kill innocent students and teachers until something is done. And burning people at the stake isn't going to solve that matter one bit.Wrong, the people burnt at the stake have a very low rate of recidivism.

plbrdude
10-02-2006, 05:59 PM
I had no idea that we burned unicorns and leprechauns at the stake, too. That's fascinating.

i was wondering about that myself. surely that explains the lack of them in my neighborhood.