the head needs a garage

jspchief
10-03-2006, 08:59 AM
I like it.

However, I'm not a fan of $75 sweatshirts

TinyEvel
10-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Let's hear it for advertising!

I mean, let's hear it for GOOD advertising!

Thhis one's a goody. It takes a talented writer to emote about a hoody. Well done.
Though, it's no Wingman! :)

ChiefsfaninPA
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I like it.

However, I'm not a fan of $75 sweatshirts

Second that one. It is already robbery that the replica jerseys are $75.

Hound333
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Wingman was the greatest ever.

jspchief
10-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Let's hear it for advertising!

I mean, let's hear it for GOOD advertising!

Thhis one's a goody. It takes a talented writer to emote about a hoody. Well done.
Though, it's no Wingman! :)You never answered my question about Wingman on the other thread.

Did you write the song, or just the commercial?

TinyEvel
10-03-2006, 09:45 AM
You never answered my question about Wingman on the other thread.

Did you write the song, or just the commercial?

Missed that question....thanks for asking. He'res the whole story:

I wrote the lyrics as well as the concept of Wingman. Though the term already existed.

It was our agency's first assignment for Coors Light. My partner and I wrote a few spots about what you do for your bro's. They were all set to existing songs about friends. The Wingman scenario was supposed to be set to "You got a friend in Me" by Randy Newman from Toy Story. You see the guy dancing with the hot chick and pan over to his bro suffering in the booth with the ugly chick.

We had a couple others. Coors liked the idea but didn't like the ironic songs. they wanted something more rockin (they were doing the Twins stuff at the time)

An other team was working on the "guy singing about beer drinking moments" We called him the Beer Minstrel. I had been bugging the creative directors all along to write some of those songs, since we were trying to get Jack Black to be the singer in the ad.

I took the Scenario from our spot and wrote the "Wingman" lyrics to it and we put it into the "Beer Minstrel" campaign.

Coors approved Wingman as the only spot in that idea (they turned down other spots "Sausagefest" about a party with too many guys, and "Walk of shame" about a guy getting shot down at the bar and had to walk back to his buddies)

We never landed Jack Black. All we had were the lyrics: a poem, really. We were auditioning guitar playing comedians, saying we were looking for a Jimmy Fallon type thing. It was awful. We figured we had a disaster on our hands.
A week before shooting, our director screen tested the slo-mo technique with a singer/guitar player his producer knew from TV.
His name is Chris Lee, he played guitar for the sitcoms (like when you come back from commercial brake whil they show the outside of the building in Seinfeld, etc.) He wrote the tune to our words, we saw him on the slo-mo test and said. That's the guy!
Chris is a really cool guy, and he is the singer in the spot.

Wingman was a huge hit for Coors Light and we wanted to use the momentum to produce the other spots we had originally presented, but I guess they wanted to keep the "Wing" thing going, and had us follow up with "Wingdog" I did NOT write Wingdog. Had nothing to do with it. That's all I'll say about that.

It was the only commercial I've done that I could Google and find dozens of blogs talking about it. Lots of guys were wondering why "the anchor girl" was hot. IT would have been non-PC and too easy to make her a fat, angry chick with a femullet, so we just made her angry. I think that was the right call, because most girls I know like the spot, too.

I met Denis Miller once in a DIRECTV recording session and he said it's his favorite commercial of all time. That was really cool. I'll probably wax nostalgic about the Wingman days for a long time, good memories. Miss those days, but I feel honored and lucky to have one like that on my reel. Especially after it almost died five times. Those spots are few and far between.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEVa2swtC10"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEVa2swtC10" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jspchief
10-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Missed that question....thanks for asking. He'res the whole story:

I wrote the lyrics as well as the concept of Wingman. Though the term already existed.

It was our agency's first assignment for Coors Light. My partner and I wrote a few spots about what you do for your bro's. They were all set to existing songs about friends. The Wingman scenario was supposed to be set to "You got a friend in Me" by Randy Newman from Toy Story. You see the guy dancing with the hot chick and pan over to his bro suffering in the booth with the ugly chick.

We had a couple others. Coors liked the idea but didn't like the ironic songs. they wanted something more rockin (they were doing the Twins stuff at the time)

An other team was working on the "guy singing about beer drinking moments" We called him the Beer Minstrel. I had been bugging the creative directors all along to write some of those songs, since we were trying to get Jack Black to be the singer in the ad.

I took the Scenario from our spot and wrote the "Wingman" lyrics to it and we put it into the "Beer Minstrel" campaign.

Coors approved Wingman as the only spot in that idea (they turned down other spots "Sausagefest" about a party with too many guys, and "Walk of shame" about a guy getting shot down at the bar and had to walk back to his buddies)

We never landed Jack Black. All we had were the lyrics: a poem, really. We were auditioning guitar playing comedians, saying we were looking for a Jimmy Fallon type thing. It was awful. We figured we had a disaster on our hands.
A week before shooting, our director screen tested the slo-mo technique with a singer/guitar player his producer knew from TV.
His name is Chris Lee, he played guitar for the sitcoms (like when you come back from commercial brake whil they show the outside of the building in Seinfeld, etc.) He wrote the tune to our words, we saw him on the slo-mo test and said. That's the guy!
Chris is a really cool guy, and he is the singer in the spot.

Wingman was a huge hit for Coors Light and we wanted to use the momentum to produce the other spots we had originally presented, but I guess they wanted to keep the "Wing" thing going, and had us follow up with "Wingdog" I did NOT write Wingdog. Had nothing to do with it. That's all I'll say about that.

It was the only commercial I've done that I could Google and find dozens of blogs talking about it. Lots of guys were wondering why "the anchor girl" was hot. IT would have been non-PC and too easy to make her a fat, angry chick with a femullet, so we just made her angry. I think that was the right call, because most girls I know like the spot, too.

I met Denis Miller once in a DIRECTV recording session and he said it's his favorite commercial of all time. That was really cool. I'll probably wax nostalgic about the Wingman days for a long time, good memories. Miss those days, but I feel honored and lucky to have one like that on my reel. Especially after it almost died five times. Those spots are few and far between.

I think you have a really cool job and have a lot of respect for what goes into it.

And Wingman is one of the best commercials ever IMO.

hawkchief
10-03-2006, 10:34 AM
I think you have a really cool job and have a lot of respect for what goes into it.

Wingman rocks, and I am also a huge fan of the "Real Men of Genuis" spots for the "other" beer.

runnercyclist
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
...in our most trying times
you still try
when other garments stop at the neck
you said, "oh no"
the head needs a garage

our arms would pull off well before yours
yet this is how we treat you

TinyEvel
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM

Well, thanks. I'm humbled.

I work on different clients now. I just got out of a very long meeting where legal is trying to kill a concept and now we have to change it to the point where it might no longer be funny, or kill it and start over. :banghead:

Bad day for this to happen, it's my daughter's birthday. We're suppposed to go to Chuck E Cheese. Oh, we're still going.

Gotta take the good with the bad in life, I guess. I'm honored to have this job, with all it's challenges. We're just making ads, not curing cancer.

runnercyclist
09-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Just saw "hoody" again. Still awesome.

Joey Porter now in Dolphins gear.

They updated it.

runnercyclist
09-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I also LOVE the fantasy football commercials on NFL Network.

Jilly
09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Wingman rocks, and I am also a huge fan of the "Real Men of Genuis" spots for the "other" beer.

I had all kinds of ideas for these commercials and I wrote to Bud to tell them about them and they said they couldn't accept ideas because I might sue them if they use them or something like that.... I was ticked too, because they were some great ideas. Whatever... :rolleyes:

Skip Towne
09-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Did you write any of the Directv commercials? I have found errors in many of them.

unothadeal
09-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I also LOVE the fantasy football commercials on NFL Network.
ROFL ROFL ROFL Nobody cares about your thread. Na na na na na naaaa

blueballs
09-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Geico is the new leader in commercials
they keep trying different stuff
it doesn't always work but still entertaining