PDA

View Full Version : DLP or LCD

Guru
10-03-2006, 03:04 AM
I am looking to upgrade to anything that will fit into a 40" x 40" cabinet.

One of the TVs I have narrowed to is the Samsung HLS4266W which will fit.

I am just curious as to what is the better way to go, DLP or LCD since I know there are a ton of you on this board with opinions on this.

ChiefFan31
10-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Its almost like, get the TV you want and get a new cabinet.

I am the proud new owner of a Sony KDS-50A2000 SXRD LcOS LCD.

I am pretty damn happy going with the Sony LCD over a DLP

I think both the Sony and the Samsung are nice models. Those were my final two choices in my search.

If your set on wanting a 40" model both the Samsung, and the Sony XBR Bravia are nice sets.

Here is a link to both of them

Samsung (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7688923&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050025&id=1138083934070)

Sony (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7986664&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050025&id=1155069777368)

Do a google search for reviews of the models you are interested in. Cnet has some really nice reviews.

jAZ
10-03-2006, 03:34 AM
Get your HDTV from CostCo. You get it cheaper and won't ever have to spend extra money to get an extended warranty. They have the greatest return policy ever. It allowed me to get a larger but lesser known brand of Plasma TV for the same money as a smaller major brand.

If it goes tits up in a year or two, I can just return it for 100% credit towards a new TV.

ChiefFan31
10-03-2006, 03:37 AM
Jaz has an excellent point. Costco's return policy is bar none.

That was a strong consideration for me if they had the model I wanted.

Alright, I will shutup now and not whore this thread up too bad :D

Guru
10-03-2006, 03:44 AM
the problem I have here is my wife. She loved the cabinet we bought and is not interested in upgrading it. Plus, I won't be able to sweet talk her in to a bigger set anyway. Just trying to squeeze what I can rather than be difficult and create a problem that doesn't need to exist.

I am happy just getting an upgrade from my weak 27" crapper anyway. I looks like a damn 13" in that friggin hole right now.

I also am wondering about the rear projections and how long the bulb will last on them. Don't want to be forking over $200-300 every couple years for these too.

TN_Chief
10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
I just recently bought an LCD (37"), mainly because I wanted it mounted on a wall. For me, it was LCD or plasma because of that. Didn't look much into DLPs, but I do hear good things about them.

One thing I quickly figured out is not to get too wrapped up in things like "half-life" (it's an LCD brightness thing) or projector life. Do the math on the hours those things are rated for...it's like 15-20 years of average TV watching time.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Look at features...screen size, HD tuner, PIP, etc. etc. find a comparable model in each technology, then make the decision on price.

By the way...don't forget to investigate which has the higher resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p), look into the ports and A/V hookups, etc. And remember that good cables (and good signal quality) for connecting DVDs, satellite boxes, etc. aren't cheap. The HDMI cable connecting my HD Sat box to my TV cost $125...on sale. If you can, try to get the salespeople to throw those items in.

Lzen
10-03-2006, 08:09 AM
I don't know what you should get. But if you get one this week, I'll be over on Sunday to watch the game. :D

Hoover
10-03-2006, 08:26 AM
You should go with LCD if its under 40 inch

lightsout04
10-03-2006, 09:05 AM
go with the LCD. Just look at the Contrast ratio when you look at LCD. higher contrast better picture, but it's going to cost more. I love my LCD HDTV.

Scorp
10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
it's the mirrors!

penguinz
10-03-2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11118723&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

Seek
10-03-2006, 10:58 AM
If you play any video games or anything that keeps the same imagine on the screen for a period of time. Like Madden Football LCD is a better way to go. It prevents Burn in.

Don't forget to get one with a tuner. If it does not have a tuner, it is just a monitor, and most likely won't receive any picture at all.

Dayze
10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I've had my Sony 50" LCD HDTV for about a month now; and 2 weeks with HD from DTV;
I have absolutely ZERO complaints or reservations. Amazing brightness; detail, etc. Obvisoulsy, Plasmas are nice too; but I would have paid through the nose for the same size in Plasma...

Best $1599 I've ever spent.

TN_Chief
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Yup, and plasmas are susceptible to burn-in. That was a no-go for me.

penguinz
10-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Yup, and plasmas are susceptible to burn-in. That was a no-go for me.You need to do more research. Plasma TV's today are not that susceptible to burn-in.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html

plbrdude
10-03-2006, 11:53 AM
i just got a samsung 30" slimfit hdtv. been very happy w/it so far. at best buy the salesman told me that dlp's are nice. but at 2-4 yr the bulb needs to be replaced and they are in the $400 range.

unlurking
10-03-2006, 11:53 AM
That cost differential on Plasma vs LCD is weird.

Was checking out this 65" plasma for $8500 (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11114378&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001381&Mo=13&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=) at Costco, and the comparable 65" LCD model for $17,000 (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11108990&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001382&Mo=22&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=).

Strange how the lopsided pricing flips when you get to the higher screen sizes.

TN_Chief
10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
You need to do more research. Plasma TV's today are not that susceptible to burn-in.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.htmlI did enough research to feel plenty comfortable with my decision. Cost was not a consideration at all, but the risk of burn-in concerned me.

Hell, look at what you wrote yourself..."Plasma TV's today are not that susceptible to burn-in." (emphasis mine) In other words...they are susceptible, just not as much as they used to be. LCDs are not susceptible period. Why run the risk?

And yes, thanks for sending us to a site sponsored by plasma TV makers/vendors which tells us that susceptibility to burn-in has been minimized. I'm sure we can expect complete objectivity from the people that make/sell them.

KUalumni
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
The bulb life on the DLP TVs is only 2-4 years if you do not adjust the out of the box settings that are adjusted for store displays. They are maxed out on about everything to look their best in the bright lights of the store. I love my 50 DLP. The picture is incredible even with it set to maximum bulb life. At least with a DLP (compared with plasma) you can replace just a bulb instead of the entire TV.

TN_Chief
10-03-2006, 12:44 PM
The bulb life on the DLP TVs is only 2-4 years if you do not adjust the out of the box settings that are adjusted for store displays. They are maxed out on about everything to look their best in the bright lights of the store. I love my 50 DLP. The picture is incredible even with it set to maximum bulb life. At least with a DLP (compared with plasma) you can replace just a bulb instead of the entire TV.Good call. Pick up the Avia DVD and properly adjust your display. I did, it made a difference. BTW...bittorrent is your friend (if you know what I mean).

Vegas_Dave
10-03-2006, 12:45 PM
I own the 42" Samsung DLP you mention. Absolutely AWESOME. I have a review about all of this in the Media area of the board.

Guru
10-03-2006, 01:04 PM
I own the 42" Samsung DLP you mention. Absolutely AWESOME. I have a review about all of this in the Media area of the board.

Direct link to it? Or what is the title since we have the 4 letter limit on search here. Also, I have been reading about "black grass" on this particular model. How noticeable is this?

penguinz
10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I did enough research to feel plenty comfortable with my decision. Cost was not a consideration at all, but the risk of burn-in concerned me.

Hell, look at what you wrote yourself..."Plasma TV's today are not that susceptible to burn-in." (emphasis mine) In other words...they are susceptible, just not as much as they used to be. LCDs are not susceptible period. Why run the risk?

And yes, thanks for sending us to a site sponsored by plasma TV makers/vendors which tells us that susceptibility to burn-in has been minimized. I'm sure we can expect complete objectivity from the people that make/sell them.Damn your panties are in a bunch arent they? The only way you are going to get a burn-in on a display is if you have a no moving image on it. Unless you are using your TV as a very expensive digital photo frame or something that will keep a static image then there is nothing to worry about.

And BTW... It is possible to get burnin on an LCD. But it is usually reversible on an LCD screen.

TN_Chief
10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
The only way you are going to get a burn-in on a display is if you have a no moving image on it.Are you familiar with video games...like XBox, etc.? Many games have areas that do not move. They can/will leave a burned-in image.

FWIW...I work in medical imaging. I deal with displays all day long. I've never, in almost 10 years, seen an LCD with a burned-in image. I have seen it in plenty of CRT and plasma displays.

EDIT
It occurs to me that you may be mistaking what's knows as "retained pixel charge" with burn-in in an LCD. The difference is that RPC tends to be much more difficult to "get" than burn-in, it's also easily gotten rid of using nothing more than a blank white screen saver. Not so should you burn-in a plasma or CRT.

Vegas_Dave
10-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Direct link to it? Or what is the title since we have the 4 letter limit on search here. Also, I have been reading about "black grass" on this particular model. How noticeable is this?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126450&highlight=Review

The Black Grass that you mention is more on the brightest white color and only if you are sitting too close to the TV.

Frankly, my father ended up buying the 56" version of this same model after shopping and then seeing mine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Are you familiar with video games...like XBox, etc.? Many games have areas that do not move. They can/will leave a burned-in image.

FWIW...I work in medical imaging. I deal with displays all day long. I've never, in almost 10 years, seen an LCD with a burned-in image. I have seen it in plenty of CRT and plasma displays.

EDIT
It occurs to me that you may be mistaking what's knows as "retained pixel charge" with burn-in in an LCD. The difference is that RPC tends to be much more difficult to "get" than burn-in, it's also easily gotten rid of using nothing more than a blank white screen saver. Not so should you burn-in a plasma or CRT.

You don't have to worry about burn in with plasma displays now, but they do lose efficiency and brightness rather rapidly. Given the $/ performance comparison, DLP is the way to go, especially in larger screen sizes. At 40" it's actually pretty close between DLP and LCD. DLPs are immune to burn in, FWIW.

Regarding the Sony vs. Samsung...don't be a dumbass, buy a Samsung. You get the same or better picture for less money. You are buying the Sony name. With Samsung you get better worksmanship. Read the reviews on the Samsung, they are excellent.

Guru
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I have been hearing great things about Samsung when it comes to the latest TVs. I was concerned about the "black grass" thing but you seem to have put that to rest. Sounds like it is controlled based on your TV settings anyway.

Just have to find a way to talk the wife into getting it now instead of waiting 3 more years for my 40th birthday.

Wives always have a way of gumming up the works don't they? LOL

Guru
10-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Kind of disappointed that nobody sells a 36" HDTV anymore. The 4:3 type. They were everywhere just 3 years ago. I don't really need to have a widescreen.

ChiefFan31
10-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Kind of disappointed that nobody sells a 36" HDTV anymore. The 4:3 type. They were everywhere just 3 years ago. I don't really need to have a widescreen.

I was thinking about this, and I really wouldnt recommend to anyone to get a CRT HDTV. Weight, plus how well Rear Proj and LCD's are getting with resolution, picture quality and price.

But with you saying you have a 40X40" space. Is the cabinet made of wood? The reason I ask is because a CRT (picture tube) HDTV are monsters, like a 34" one is like 250lbs.

Also, if cost is a concern, you can get a 34" CRT HDTV widescreen for probably 850-1000 bucks. The picture will be excellent. No doubt about it. They have always been the best picture for HDTV, short of the 10G+ units. I mean now with the advancements the others or close or even better.

But for price, picture, and with the space you describe...its something to think about....

But, I havent really paid attention in the last year or so. I am sure they are still sold...maybe...

Guru
10-05-2006, 01:04 AM
I was thinking about this, and I really wouldnt recommend to anyone to get a CRT HDTV. Weight, plus how well Rear Proj and LCD's are getting with resolution, picture quality and price.

But with you saying you have a 40X40" space. Is the cabinet made of wood? The reason I ask is because a CRT (picture tube) HDTV are monsters, like a 34" one is like 250lbs.

Also, if cost is a concern, you can get a 34" CRT HDTV widescreen for probably 850-1000 bucks. The picture will be excellent. No doubt about it. They have always been the best picture for HDTV, short of the 10G+ units. I mean now with the advancements the others or close or even better.

But for price, picture, and with the space you describe...its something to think about....

But, I havent really paid attention in the last year or so. I am sure they are still sold...maybe...

It is an Oak entertainment center. A 36" would be perfect for the space I have. The widescreens will just leave a ton of space at the top and it would look off to me. No need to force a shelf because I have nothing to put there. Everything is accounted for.

Baffles me that they still manufacture the 20" and 17" but ceased on the 36" 4:3 models.

Since I have no plans to upgrade to digital cable, cost is way too much, all I care about is a TV with a digital tuner.

ChiefFan31
10-05-2006, 01:13 AM
It is an Oak entertainment center. A 36" would be perfect for the space I have. The widescreens will just leave a ton of space at the top and it would look off to me. No need to force a shelf because I have nothing to put there. Everything is accounted for.

Baffles me that they still manufacture the 20" and 17" but ceased on the 36" 4:3 models.

Since I have no plans to upgrade to digital cable, cost is way too much, all I care about is a TV with a digital tuner.

If they stopped manufacturing that size, you might be able to find a smoking deal on the Interent. Search around using Google, there has got to be some out there, sitting in a warehouse waiting to get unloaded for cheap $$

Guru
10-05-2006, 01:23 AM
If they stopped manufacturing that size, you might be able to find a smoking deal on the Interent. Search around using Google, there has got to be some out there, sitting in a warehouse waiting to get unloaded for cheap $$

I have been scouring but so far, no luck. Not even on Ebay. Not that I want to get my TV on ebay at all.

ChiefFan31
10-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I have been scouring but so far, no luck. Not even on Ebay. Not that I want to get my TV on ebay at all.

What about the links through ePinion.com

They have all the NewEgg, Half.com places like that, with seller ratings.

I will take a quick gander...

edit - Here is a link to some Sony models through ePinions

Clicky (http://www.epinions.com/Standard_Televisions--reviews--brand_sony--prices--hdtv)