PDA

View Full Version : HOLY SH!T Read This! Vermeil Knocking On Our Door!

Frazod
01-03-2001, 10:32 PM
According to this article, Vermeil is on the verge of being named our head coach!

COOL! :D
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/slead.htm

------------------
Frazod

Have I ever mentioned that I hate Denver?
http://www.geocities.com/cannibal1970/devil.gif

Joe Seahawk
01-03-2001, 10:35 PM
Damn,
Dont you think you should fire a guy before info like this gets out..
If I was Gun I would be pissed! I'd go pop King Carl in the mouth... :)<P>

Frazod
01-03-2001, 10:37 PM
Oh, screw Gunther. I'll pack his friggin office for him.

------------------
Frazod

morphius
01-03-2001, 10:38 PM
If Ray Rhoads does not go to Denver, what are the chances that Gun might? It would sure put a damper on us sweeping them.

Joe Seahawk
01-03-2001, 10:39 PM
Frazod,

LOL!!

Hey Gun, http://www.geocities.com/cannibal1970/finger2.gif

Frazod
01-03-2001, 10:42 PM
Joe, I'm surprised you're happy about this. You're starting to sound like a Chiefs fan...

I don't know if the Rat would take Gunther. For starters, could he have have an assistant working under him that he never beat? Personally, that would annoy the hell out of me.

Of course, everyone else who leaves KC wants to stick it to us by going to a division rival. Would Gun be any different?

------------------
Frazod

[This message has been edited by frazod (edited 01-03-2001).]

Joe Seahawk
01-03-2001, 10:45 PM
I'm happy it's not Neuheisel..

Vermeil will do a good job, but chances are, by the time real rewards are reaped, we will both be in different divisions anyway...

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/nfldraftman/images/seahawks.gif

Frazod
01-03-2001, 10:46 PM
I see you got that helmet back up there in a hurry... :D

------------------
Frazod

AZChief
01-03-2001, 10:48 PM
I've got to admit this is pretty crappy if true. You'd think an organization, with as a high profile, would treat its employees better.

I don't mind canning Gun but he should get dumped before we announce our new prom date.

Anybody wish our next coach was a young guy?

AZ

morphius
01-03-2001, 10:50 PM
Fraz - It wouldn't surprise me if they did try to hire Gun, he knows the Raiders QB and #2 WR and he knows all the Chiefs players and their talents. He loves the AFC West and is friends with Shanarat, so...

I wonder if hiring Vermeil might get Hasty and Grunhard to think about coming back next year.

I also can't wait to hear what packfan has to say if this does happen.

Frazod
01-03-2001, 10:51 PM
That's true, AZ. I wasn't really serious. I don't want him as HC anymore, but I do like and respect him as a person.

Of course, for all we know, Gun's already been told and it just hasn't hit yet.

------------------
Frazod

morphius
01-03-2001, 10:52 PM
AZ - It would be nice, mainly for the fact that we have no idea how many years we will get out of Vermeil.

Joe - Maybe Vermeil will take Washingtons OC and bring him here http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Frazod
01-03-2001, 10:53 PM
Gun is friends with the Rat? That's disturbing.

Oh well, if Gun does go to Denver, I'll add him to the long list of Donx-tainted scumbags that I hate. :mad:

------------------
Frazod

ChiefsFanatic
01-03-2001, 11:14 PM
I wonder who his coordinators would be? I would bet on Al Saunders as OC. I would like to see some St. Louis style offense (an advanced placement version of the west coast offense, imho.) Plus, Vermiel knows the importance of a featured back.

Man, is it just me, or is this the best anyone has felt about our Chiefs in some time?

One Arrowhead Dave
01-03-2001, 11:19 PM
WOW!!!!

USAtoday is a creible source too...

------------------
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Frazod
01-03-2001, 11:27 PM
Well, the next couple of days could be VERY interesting.

I hope Vermeil becomes our head coach.
I hope Carl weasels some better picks out of Snyder.
I hope Gun and the Stooges are HISTORY.
I hope....

Off to bed, dreaming of better things for all of us long-suffering fans.

Goodnight.

------------------
Frazod

TEX
01-03-2001, 11:35 PM
Vermeil does nothing for on his own for in terms of being the Chiefs next head coach, however I would gladly acept him because of the intangeables he brings along with him. First and foremost he will hire a a GOOD staff and will delegate to a GOOD staff. IMHO he will also "groom" our next head coach because he will be a member of his hired staff. That scenario bets the HE!! out of Mr. MaGOO and the STOOGES. Audios LOSERS! BTW, Gun will be the ONLY member of that group that lands a worthwihile gig - unfortunately it will probably be in Denver.

ChiefsFanatic
01-03-2001, 11:38 PM
Also, Vermiel has coached 2 NFL teams, and taken both to the superbowl. Who was the last Chiefs coach to take a team to the superbowl? A guy named Levy, only he did it after he left KC.

DaWolf
01-03-2001, 11:41 PM
I'm not celebrating untill I see the press conference. Until then I assume the worst and Gun is going to be our HC. I've been burned by these hopes too many times...

Otter
01-03-2001, 11:45 PM
Holy $hit is right! Gotta say -- even with the article about CP and Dick meeting, I did'nt see this coming.

I would love to see Vermeil as our HC - I hope this turns out to be true. Goodbye RBBC and with a little more luck we'll be welcoming back our attacking defense.

Frazod- If this is true I would not be suprised if Denver tried to pick up Gun. Where else would you want a guy that you can't beat but on your team? Keep you friends close and your enemies closer. It will be interesting to play the Donx if this works out.

Going to bed with visions of a 1,000 yard rusher in my head.

To the Chiefs in 2001! Cheers http://www.wombat.ie/misc/g.gif

[This message has been edited by Otter (edited 01-04-2001).]

KCinNY
01-03-2001, 11:52 PM
I agree with ChiefsFanatic, Saunders at OC sounds GREAT to me. Vermiel gives us some credibility at head coach. Something we've lacked for a couple of years. With solid coaching our talent may not look so bad. I don't know who the new DC will be, Rich Brooks maybe? Who's available?

I'm also hoping Carl can be a gigantic pr!ck to the Skins and squeeze 'em for a little more compensation.

This is the best Chief news we've had in a long time.

The_Grand_Illusion
01-03-2001, 11:55 PM
Great news if true.

TGI
Keeping my fingers crossed.<BR>

Herzig
01-04-2001, 12:04 AM
If this pans out, what are the odds that Gun might end up defensive coordinator of the Skins under Marty once again? Especially if Rhodes ends up in Denver...

AJKCFAN
01-04-2001, 12:06 AM
Now cbssportsline.com is reporting the news.

Got to think 2 credible sources have the story right.

Ironic that the man Peterson really wanted to be the 1st coach hiring with the Chiefs back in 1989 is the man he finally gets some 12 years later... with this occurring exactly one day after the man Peterson settled on to be his coach officially leaves the Chiefs organization.

AJKCFAN
01-04-2001, 12:07 AM
Now cbssportsline.com is reporting the news.

Got to think 2 credible sources have the story right.

Ironic that the man Peterson really wanted to be the 1st coach hiring with the Chiefs back in 1989 is the man he finally gets some 12 years later... with this occurring exactly one day after the man Peterson settled on to be his coach officially leaves the Chiefs organization.

ChiefsFanatic
01-04-2001, 12:08 AM
The odds are are 1 in infinity. Gun has backhanded insults to Marty for 2 years, plus Kurt will be first in line (you know, cause Mom told him to be nice to his brother)

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 12:11 AM
We're going to owe the Rams compensation for Vermiel, right? Maybe that's why Carl is trying to squeeze more out of Snyder, based on what the Rams are asking...

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 12:18 AM
"As part of the Tip sheet item, SportsLine.com reported that Vermeil would likely hire current St. Louis assistant head coach Al Saunders. The plan, sources said, would be for Saunders to succeed Vermeil in 3-4 years.

Should Vermeil not accept the Kansas City job, it is believed he will recommend the team reach out to Saunders. Another name under discussion is University of Washington head coach Rick Neuheisel, another man with a UCLA background.

Team officials canceled at least two meetings with Cunningham last week and his staff remains in the dark about its future."

Gaz
01-04-2001, 07:54 AM
Vermeil is strictly short-term, but I like this idea. Vermeil can build a very good coaching staff [diametrically opposed to Gunther's staff], and then pass the reins to Saunders in a few years. This is the kind of long-term planning that I do not expect from the red & gold.

I think that most of us attribute this dismal season to the coaching staff. While I do not expect an instant turnaround, I do expect some improvement. However, this is not exciting because of next season. This is exciting because it presents an experienced, winning NFL coach the opportunity to use an to craft a coherent coaching staff.

Now we need Gunther to resign so he will not suffer the humiliation of being fired.

xoxo~
gaz
expecting better times ahead.<BR>

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:00 AM
We need to stop salivating at the prospect of compensation picks for Marty. We will end up compensating St. Louis for Vermeil.

Still, we are not "out of pocket" on balance, we lose the Stooges, we lose Gunther, we gain some instant credibility [for those who care] with Vermeil's "winner" cachet and we can attract some genuinely talented Coordinators to the red & gold.

xoxo~
gaz
appears to be looking at a real "win/win" situation.<BR>

Packfan
01-04-2001, 08:03 AM
While it is great news that Gunter Cunningham is on the verge of being fired, I am not that thrilled about Dick Vermeil. Vermeil will bring dicipline and strategy to this team which it really needs. However, Vermeil likes to motivate the same way Gunter did: Story telling, crying, yelling, hugging, praising ect. Gunter proved how this works with today's generation x athlete.

I would rather see a younger guy that was mentored by one of the top coaches in the league. Someone from Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Dennis Green, or Jeff Fisher's staff. Vermeil is a bandaid. He is 64 and has been "burned out" before. The Chiefs need a long term solution.

Vermeil is a good man, good coach. But only for a year or two. But hey, why should we expect anything different? Carl has been bandaiding holes for the last 12 years.

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>Vermeil is strictly short-term, but I like this idea. Vermeil can build a very good coaching staff [diametrically opposed to Gunther's staff], and then pass the reins to Saunders in a few years. This is the kind of long-term planning that I do not expect from the red & gold.

I think that most of us attribute this dismal season to the coaching staff. While I do not expect an instant turnaround, I do expect some improvement. However, this is not exciting because of next season. This is exciting because it presents an experienced, winning NFL coach the opportunity to use an to craft a coherent coaching staff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

xoxo~
gaz
repeating it for those who do not read all the posts.<BR>

Bwana
01-04-2001, 08:12 AM
WOW! I hope this goes down! It's a hell of a start in the right direction. Go get him Carl!

kcred
01-04-2001, 08:21 AM
This news is better than Xmas morning. I like Vermeil, and as Gaz says, his building a staff for the future. I don't like the fine points of the negotiations however. Whether this is just salary, or compensatory picks, whatever, this story should not have been aired, at this time. I want Gun and crew gone, plain and simple, but his firing should not have been done in the press. Peterson should address the issue, now, not tomorrow, not next week. Whether we get Vermeil or not, he should step up and release Gun today. Can anyone imagine, if Vermeil does not end up here, and Carl then retains Gunther, what kind of season next year will bring. It is time to go public with the change, and if not Vermeil, start looking. I love Saunders as OC with Vermeil, or HC without him.

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:24 AM
kcred-

Saunders was one of my choices for Gunther's replacement [Shell was the other]. I like him as OC under Vermeil for a few years then HC in his own right.

All we need now is a resignation from Gunther. It would be a shame if he forces Carl to fire him. At least this way he retains a shred of dignity.

xoxo~
gaz
pleased with how this is shaping up.<BR>

Clint in Wichita
01-04-2001, 08:24 AM
Vermeil may be old, but he is the best available PROVEN head coach, IMO.

After winning the SB in St. Louis, he'll command respect from his players, and he can pick an excellent staff as well.

This might be Peterson's best move since drafting Derrick Thomas.

Packfan
01-04-2001, 08:26 AM
Gaz,

I did read your post and you are speculating that #1, Sauders would be hired, then you go further and speculate that #2, he would replace Vermeil. Good guesses, but thats all they are. I recall you predicting that Gunter would be a great coach too.

Bwana
01-04-2001, 08:29 AM
Ken: Who are the Packers looking to hire as a coach.........or are they going ot keep the same stiff they had last year?

58Forever
01-04-2001, 08:29 AM
Withouth reading the rest of the post:

This makes perfect sense...Vermiel and King Carl go way back to Philly's glory days...they are friends...they know each other and what they can and can not get away with...I feel sorry for Gun, but this would be a good move for us...

Last year it was the Dillon watch...this year the HC watch...:rolleye:

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:30 AM
Packfan-

You are mistaken. I WANTED Gunther to be a great coach because I like him, but made no such predictions.

As usual, your selective memory is unreliable and borders on slander.

xoxo~
gaz
not at all surprised.<BR>

Packfan
01-04-2001, 08:32 AM
Peterson's best moves in order are:

1. Hiring Shottenheimer
2. Drafting Derrick Thomas
3. Trading up to Pick Gonzalez
4. Trading for Joe Montana
5. Firing Gunter

I think firing Gunter is a great move. Hiring Vermeil is good too. He wouldnt have been my choice though. Like I said, a young assistant who has been groomed by the one of the better coaches in the league would have been wiser. I dont want to get into a debate because the Cheifs have taken a big step in getting rid of Gunter.

donkhater
01-04-2001, 08:33 AM
BTW, I don't know if the Rams would be due compensation for Vermeil. If I remember right, he didn't have much time left on his contract. If it has expired, he's a free agent.

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:34 AM
Packfan-

From CBS Sportsline:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> As part of the Tip sheet item, SportsLine.com reported that Vermeil would likely hire current St. Louis assistant head coach Al Saunders. The plan, sources said, would be for Saunders to succeed Vermeil in 3-4 years.

Should Vermeil not accept the Kansas City job, it is believed he will recommend the team reach out to Saunders. Another name under discussion is University of Washington head coach Rick Neuheisel, another man with a UCLA background.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

xoxo~
gaz
speculating with the best of 'em.<BR>

kcred
01-04-2001, 08:34 AM
Gaz, the only thing I think about with Gunther resigning, is, he has two years left on the contract, why would he? This way he draws a paycheck from the Chiefs for two more years. Hell dignity is fine, but show me the money. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Packfan
01-04-2001, 08:36 AM
Sorry Gaz, you said "I think Gunter will be a great coach" Nice try, but you (and many other fans) incorrectly predicted greatness from Gunter. No big deal. I think you are jumping the Gun (no pun intended) on Saunders. This organization is so unpredictable. You dont know who is going to be here and who isnt from year to year.

Bwana,

That "stiff" went 9-7, an improvement from the prior season. Why would he be replaced?

58Forever
01-04-2001, 08:37 AM
Gun is in such denial that, if he resigns or gets fired, he'll probably still show up at the stadium every day at 4 a.m....definitely a Mr. Coach Klien scenario brewing...hope he doesn't do something stupid, I mean serious stupid...postal or something...only half kidding...

Packfan, Gun is a great coach...just not a great HC...I thought he'd make a good HC, last year I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt...when he made a bad decision I chalked it up to new coach butterflies...this year I came to realize he's clueless...he'll find a job and be a good coach somewhere...coordinator...

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 01-04-2001).]

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:38 AM
Okay you lawyer types:

Could Gunther draw a salary from the Chiefs as HC at the same time he is drawing a salary as DC from another team?

xoxo~
gaz
contractually impaired.<BR>

Bwana
01-04-2001, 08:38 AM
Pack: Hey, if you're happy with 9-7 and you think he is the cotf (Coach of The Future) that's all good with me.

morphius
01-04-2001, 08:39 AM
Quote of the day, from Troy Reneck:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>He didn't spend $800 million for the Redskins just to have an excuse to print new business cards. He wants more rings than Liberace.

So what does he do? He brings aboard a coach whose greatest claim to fame is being John Elway's cabana boy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MrBlond
01-04-2001, 08:39 AM
Packfan,
Your support of Holmgren, Wolfe, Favre, etc. always begins with "Superbowl Winning...". Vermeil was the last coach in the NFL to win the Lombardi Trophy. There are NO drawbacks to replacing Gunther with Vermeil. NONE. You speak of speculating but any coach available other than Dick Vermeil would be speculating.

58Forever
01-04-2001, 08:42 AM
Gaz, my guess is that once he accepted another job it would probably void his current contract...I'm sure there are clauses and codiciles that dictate exactly what happens if he's fired...now, if he gets fired and wants to sit on his *** ...then he probably gets paid...but I'm no lawyer...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

bishop_74
01-04-2001, 08:42 AM
*in the voice of Homer Simpson*

oohmygosh! ohmygosh! ohmygosh! That is Vermeilicious!!!!

Baby Lee
01-04-2001, 08:43 AM
Re: Packfan's top CP moves. Overall, I agree with the top three. But I'd make number 4 - picking up Marcus Allen, and number 5 - sticking with Grbac, moving the present 4 and 5 down two notches.

58Forever
01-04-2001, 08:48 AM
"I'm not in a position to say yes or no," Vermeil told USA Today when asked if he planned to take the job. "It's not ethically right for me to say."

This is a quote from Vermeil...read between the lines...it speaks volumes...we have a new coach...

Bwana
01-04-2001, 08:50 AM
Joe: Yes it does, If it were not true, he would have brought that to light.

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:50 AM
Packfan-

You are wrong.

Again.

As I already said, I WANTED Gunther to be a great coach. As usual, you put words in people’s mouths and then condemn them for your false quotes.

I expected no less from you.

xoxo~
gaz
furiously brushing his teeth.<BR>

MrBlond
01-04-2001, 08:53 AM
How is this for a staff?

HC Vermeil
DC Herman Edwards
OC Al Saunders
ST Frank Ganz

Ganz retired rather than work for Martz, he may come back w/Vermeil. Even though Peterson's first move as KC GM was to fire him.

58Forever
01-04-2001, 08:54 AM
the MSNBC story indicates that if we hire Vermeil we owe the Rams compensation...either cash or draft picks...or Vermeil would have to pay back his bonus he got for winning the SB...something tells me that if we hire Vermeil, we won't be giving up any draft picks... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Michael Michigan
01-04-2001, 08:55 AM
Gaz-

Unless it was written in the contract another way, if Gun is fired the Chiefs have to pay him. Let's say he makes $500,000 now and signs as a DC for $600,000.

KC would be on the hook for $500,000 and the team that hired him would kick in the other $100,000 until Gun's contract with KC runs out.

So basically, whoever hires him pays him very little, the Chiefs pony up most of his salary.

ct
01-04-2001, 08:57 AM
I actually agree with Ken, in that I would prefer a top-notch Assistant/Coordinator as our new head coach. A young guy, NOT named Rick NeuHomo!!! I've said many times my guy would be Marvin Lewis.

BUT, Vermeil is a legit HEAD COACH. A short term 'band-aid', we all acknowledge this fact. Grooming Al Saunders for the job, while he is our OC would be FANTASTIC!!!
This is not the scenario I would choose, but really folks, how often do we get to choose the course of events in our own lives, let alone our fav football team?

Basically Ken, although few of us would CHOOSE this above ALL other scenarios, this change is a damn shade better than where we are heading currently!!! Even YOU can't dispute this, I would guess.

ct
trying...trying VERY HARD...to picture ELVIS leading a Rams style offense http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:57 AM
MM-

Thanks.

I would consider $500,000 cheap to get rid of the Stooges.

xoxo~
gaz
counting his spare change.<BR>

58Forever
01-04-2001, 08:58 AM
Bwana, yeah, he's not even making an attempt to deny it...so it's obvious he's been contacted...now, because Carl and Dick are friends...I'm sure they can reach a monetary agreement...I'm sure that along with some control issues and length of contract would be the sticking points...

My only hope is that Carl has already told Gun that he plans to hire Vermeil...and Gun doesn't read it in the paper...I'd lose all respect for Carl if I find out he let the media fire Gun...

------------------
joe

ROYC75
01-04-2001, 08:58 AM
Don't believe it till it is signed ,sealed and delivered!....ROY WILLIAMS IN CAROLINA BLUE ? Anybody remember the press on this one !!! Gore wins Florida !!!!!! I'll wait till the Final True and Accurate count is in!
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Packfan
01-04-2001, 08:59 AM
Gaz,

Its OK to be wrong once in awhile. 100% of Chief fans "wanted" Gunter to do well. Hell, I "wanted" Ray Rhodes to do well. You said that he was a "great pick" back then. We both know that you did. Many others did too. I always maintained that he was a poor pick and that Carl went cheap and got what he paid for.

Mr. Blond,

I disagree, there are downsides to Vermeil: His age and the fact that only a year ago, he was "burned out" and quit. Like I said, I am very pleased that the Chiefs are replacing Gunter. They could be replacing him with Luzap and I would be happy. Thats how bad a coach Gunter is.

58Forever
01-04-2001, 09:00 AM
Royc75, you're so right, remember last year?...every other thread was Dillon signs with Chiefs!....but something tells me that this is a done deal...the fact that Carl and Dick are friends...the fact that there are no cap implications...makes this much easier to do...now, as long as we don't have a CHAD problem... :D

------------------
joe

Brock
58 - It wouldn't really surprise you though, would it?

ChiTown
Blond

That's a hell of a nice staff. I wouldn't mind substituting Art Shell as one of the CO's you picked. I don't see Frankie Ganz coming back though.

58Forever
01-04-2001, 09:01 AM
Brock, nope, I wouldn't be surprised at all...sad to say...

Gaz
01-04-2001, 09:03 AM
Packfan-

You misunderstand me. Whether that is accidental or by design is unknown.

I have been wrong several times on this BB, on the other BB, and in just about every area of my life.

I do not object to being wrong.

I object to you shoving your words into my mouth. I do not like that as your words leave a bitter, nasty aftertaste. This is not a new tactic for you. You have done it in the past and will not doubt continue to do so in the future I have asked you before to refrain from that distasteful practice, but you lack the common courtesy to do so.

Therefore, I can only point out the cases where you slander me.

This is one of them.

gaz
wishes he could be a little surprised by this tactic.<BR>

Packfan
01-04-2001, 09:09 AM
Gaz,

Its OK, Jesus! I highly doubt that you would go out on a limb and boldly say that you "WANT Gunter Cunningham to be successful". No, we both know thats not exactly how it went. Lets just drop it. Its not a big deal.

MrBlond
01-04-2001, 09:10 AM
Packfan,
I don't remember Vermeil citing "Burnout" when he stepped down as coach of the Rams. I thought, and I could be wrong, that he cited "Accomplishing everything I set out to do." as the reason. Also, Martz was a hot name on the HC front and St Louis did not want to lose him. Hence, the big "Bonus"(read:buyout) for winning the Superbowl.

ChiTown,
Your probably right about Ganz, but I always have liked him and his Special Teams. I would love to have Shell, but not at the expense of Saunders.<BR>

alanm
01-04-2001, 09:19 AM
While all the speculation is hopeful. As always I won't believe it untill it actually happens.

Packfan
01-04-2001, 09:20 AM
A Chief fan in my office say that she thinks that Carl has "brought in one of his buddies from Philly" and that he should have gotten someone that is "young and intense". What do you guys think about that?

(I told her to log on and write this herself but she is afraid. She sees how some of you guys respond to me!)

Gaz
01-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Packfan-

It IS a big deal, sir. You are attributing false quotes to me and I do not like it.

Perhaps you should retract your false accusation?

gaz
not holding his breath.<BR>