PDA

View Full Version : Software finds missing 'a' in Armstrong's moon quote

Donger
10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/30/moon.quote.ap/index.html

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- That's one small word for astronaut Neil Armstrong, one giant revision for grammar sticklers everywhere.

An Australian computer programmer says he found the missing "a" from Armstrong's famous first words from the moon in 1969, when the world heard the phrase, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

The story was reported in Saturday's editions of the Houston Chronicle.

Some historians and critics have dogged Armstrong for not saying the more dramatic and grammatically correct, "One small step for a man ..." in the version he transmitted to NASA's Mission Control. Without the missing "a," Armstrong essentially said, "One small step for mankind, one giant leap for mankind."

The famous astronaut has maintained he intended to say it properly and believes he did. Thanks to some high-tech sound-editing software, computer programmer Peter Shann Ford might have proved Armstrong right.

Ford said he downloaded the audio recording of Armstrong's words from a NASA Web site and analyzed the statement with software that allows disabled people to communicate through computers using their nerve impulses.

In a graphical representation of the famous phrase, Ford said he found evidence that the missing "a" was spoken and transmitted to NASA.

"I have reviewed the data and Peter Ford's analysis of it, and I find the technology interesting and useful," Armstrong said in a statement. "I also find his conclusion persuasive. Persuasive is the appropriate word."

Rain Man
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Personally, I think it sounds better without the "a".

And I think it's funny that they say, "some historians and critics have dogged Armstrong..." HE WAS TAKING THE FIRST STEPS ON THE MOON! HE HAD OTHER THINGS ON HIS MIND!

Bob Dole
10-03-2006, 03:56 PM
"I have reviewed the data and Peter Ford's analysis of it, and I find the technology interesting and useful," Armstrong said in a statement. "I also find his conclusion persuasive. Persuasive is the appropriate word."

Bob Dole believes he should have said, "Persuasive is an appropriate word."

"The" indicates that "persuasive" is the only possible appropriate word, and Bob Dole thinks the final determination should be left to mankind.

Fish
10-03-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't understnd wht the big del is.........

Bob Dole
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM

And I think it's funny that they say, "some historians and critics have dogged Armstrong..." HE WAS TAKING THE FIRST STEPS ON THE MOON! HE HAD OTHER THINGS ON HIS MIND!

Which is why the whole argument is just silly.

Everyone with a lick of sense realizes that the whole thing was dubbed after the fact, and what he really said was "JESUS CHRIST IN A CHICKEN BASKET, I AM ON THE ****ING MOON!"

FAX
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Give that wacky scientist a 1 Scrabble score!

FAX

Baconeater
10-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Thank God we got that cleared up.

Donger
10-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Which is why the whole argument is just silly.

Everyone with a lick of sense realizes that the whole thing was dubbed after the fact, and what he really said was "JESUS CHRIST IN A CHICKEN BASKET, I AM ON THE ****ING MOON!"

LMAO

Followed by, "...AND, HOLY SH*T! LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT MONSTER!!"

Demonpenz
10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
you figure since they were in a hollywood studio they would get the cuecards correct

Donger
10-03-2006, 04:23 PM
you figure since they were in a hollywood studio they would get the cuecards correct

Don't make me go Buzz Aldrin on you.

FAX
10-03-2006, 04:23 PM

With all due respect, Mr. Donger, I don't think they're allowed to unzip their space pants during a moon walk.

FAX

noa
10-03-2006, 04:25 PM
This was actually discussed when John Roberts was nominated for the Supreme Court. I forget how it came up, but he said that he always knew there was a missing 'a' because otherwise the saying wouldn't make sense.

sedated
10-03-2006, 04:27 PM
:ZZZ:

Adept Havelock
10-03-2006, 04:35 PM
It should have been me, not Neil. I wouldn't have blown my line. :cuss:

Hog Rider
10-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I always wondered of he took crackers with him.
Just in case.

siberian khatru
10-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Big deal, considering he was on a sound stage east of El Paso ...

Donger
10-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Big deal, considering he was on a sound stage east of El Paso ...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x6Lcx2hcmJs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x6Lcx2hcmJs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ari Chi3fs
10-03-2006, 04:52 PM
heh, Donger... that is one of my favorite videos.

Rain Man
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
LMAO

Seriously, I would have had a very hard time resisting doing something like that if I was Neil. "IT'S ... IT'S COMING TOWARD ME! WHAT IS IT?!?! IT LOOKS LIKE A ... A ... no, no, it's just the Earth. Sorry about that."

cdcox
10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty sure the CIA was involved in deleting the "a" from the transmission.

Rain Man
10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Do you think maybe he said, "This is a small step for gay man, a giant leap for mankind" and NASA didn't think the public was enlightened enough to accept it?

Bearcat
10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Ford said he downloaded the audio recording of Armstrong's words from a NASA Web site and analyzed the statement with software that allows disabled people to communicate through computers using their nerve impulses.

And it only cost $7 billion.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-03-2006, 06:01 PM
What?? No way...

http://www.fraterslibertas.com/Images/Separated/dumb.jpg

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Zebedee DuBois
10-03-2006, 06:13 PM
I would have said, " Look at the cheese!"

That is probably why the wouldn't let me go.

Easy 6
10-03-2006, 06:14 PM
You guys can bust my chops if ya' want, but i gotta be myself. Google different variations of "US Astronauts quote ufo's". I find it to be interesting reading.

Adept Havelock
10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
You guys can bust my chops if ya' want, but i gotta be myself. Google different variations of "US Astronauts quote ufo's". I find it to be interesting reading.

scott free is out there.

(Cue x-files music)

Just funnin' ya, bro.
:)

The main reason I think we haven't really encountered aliens is somewhere out past Pluto somebody put a big sign that is the equivelant of "Do Not Feed the Bears".

Easy 6
10-03-2006, 06:25 PM
scott free is out there.

(Cue x-files music)

Just funnin' ya, bro.
:)

The main reason I think we haven't really encountered aliens is somewhere out past Pluto somebody put a big sign that is the equivelant of "Do Not Feed the Bears".
LMAO .....I bet someones ready to dole out some lumps, but compelling reading nonetheless. :eek:

KCChiefsMan
10-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I love how most of everybody here shruggs it off, no big deal whether Armstrong used correct grammar or not...but if someone has a typo or whatever they are the first ones to call them out on it

JazzzLovr
10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I love how most of everybody here shruggs it off, no big deal whether Armstrong used correct grammar or not...but if someone has a typo or whatever they are the first ones to call them out on it

You misspelled "shrugs"

Rain Man
10-03-2006, 06:36 PM

Here's an excerpt from the first hit I got:

http://www.anomalous-images.com/astroufo.html

According to the NASA Astronaut Neil Armstrong the Aliens have a base on the Moon and told us in no uncertain terms to get off and stay off the Moon.
According to hitherto un-confirmed reports, both Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin saw UFOs shortly after that historic landing on the Moon in Apollo 11 on 21 July 1969. I remember hearing one of the astronauts refer to a "light" in or on a crater during the television transmission, followed by a request from mission control for further information. Nothing more was heard.

According to a former NASA employee Otto Binder, unnamed radio hams with their own VHF receiving facilities that bypassed NASA's broadcasting outlets picked up the following exchange:

NASA: Whats there?

Mission Control calling Apollo 11...

Apollo11: These "Babies" are huge, Sir! Enormous!

OH MY GOD! You wouldn't believe it!

I'm telling you there are other spacecraft out there,

Lined up on the far side of the crater edge!

They're on the Moon watching us!

A certain professor, who wished to remain anonymous, was engaged in a discussion with Neil Armstrong during a NASA symposium.

Professor: What REALLY happened out there with Apollo 11?

Armstrong: It was incredible, of course we had always known

there was a possibility, the fact is, we were

warned off!(by the Aliens). There was never any

question then of a space station or a moon city.

Professor: How do you mean "warned off"?

Armstrong: I can't go into details, except to say that their

ships were far superior to ours both in size and

technology - Boy, were they big!...and menacing!

No, there is no question of a space station.

Professor: But NASA had other missions after Apollo 11?

Armstrong: Naturally - NASA was committed at that time, and

couldn't risk panic on Earth. But it really was a

quick scoop and back again.

According to a Dr. Vladimir Azhazha:

"Neil Armstrong relayed the message to Mission Control that two large, mysterious objects were watching them after having landed near the moon module. But this message was never heard by the public -- because NASA censored it."

According to a Dr. Aleksandr Kasantsev, Buzz Aldrin took color movie film of the UFOs from inside the module, and continued filming them after he and Armstrong went outside.

Armstrong confirmed that the story was true but refused to go into further detail, beyond admitting that the CIA was behind the cover-up.

Easy 6
10-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Cant imagine why someone with so much respect to lose would say such things, often in public, if they were not true. If we cant believe these All-Americans then WHO. I know what i saw in the sky one afternoon in 90'.

Easy 6
10-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Looks like i killed your thread purty good Donger. My apologies :shrug:

Rain Man
10-03-2006, 07:05 PM
There are people who don't want this to be discussed.

FAX
10-03-2006, 07:26 PM
There are people who don't want this to be discussed.

LMAO

FAX

Thig Lyfe
10-03-2006, 08:25 PM

Armstrong lost his second-level burst.