PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Defensive Stats Round-Up

RINGLEADER
10-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Let's all beat a dead horse for awhile longer. :) I've updated a couple of the stats I posted post-gametime to reflect where everyone's at and something I found interesting about the top ten defense's (based on yardage, points scored, first downs and third-down conversion rate) statistics is that the Chiefs, Patriots, Raiders and Jaguars are the only teams that have played opponents with a combined record that exceeds .500:

1. San Diego: 4-7 (.364%)
2. Baltimore: 3-10 (.231%)
<b>3. Kansas City: 6-5 (.545%)</b>
4. Chicago: 6-10 (.375%)
5. Jacksonville: 9-5 (.643%)
6. Pittsburgh: 6-6 (.500%)
7. Buffalo: 8-8 (.500%)
8. New England: 9-6 (.600%)
9. Miami: 4-11 (.266%)
10. Oakland: 7-4 (.636%)

Furthermore, the Chiefs are at the top of the pack not just in the (sometimes misleading) overall yardage stats at 239.7 ypg (which, by the way, counts the extra period at Denver where they surrendered an additional 63 yards - an extra period that the other teams did not play and which would boost the Chiefs ahead of Baltimore for the number two spot had it not occured...yes, woulda, shoulda, coulda), but KC is also a top-tier defense in the following stats:

<b>First Downs Allowed: Third Place with 13.3 per game</b>, behind only San Diego (at 12.3) and Baltimore (at 13.0);

<b>Third Down Conversion Percentage: Third Place with 25.0%</b> behind only Chicago (at 21.6%) and San Diego (at 22.9%);

<b>Offensive Plays Allowed By Opponents: Tied with Jacksonville for Third Place at 57.0 per game</b> behind only San Diego (at 53.0 per game), Chicago (at 55.75 per game);

<b>Opponent Passer Rating: Third Place at 54.6</b> behind only Baltimore (at 49.9) and San Diego (at 50.2);

<b>Penalties Committed: First Place with 11 total penalties</b> against the defense;

<b>Scoring Allowed: Sixth Place allowing 10.7 points per game</b> behind Chicago, San Diego, Baltimore, Denver and Atlanta;

Now, some places the Chiefs are doing well at but could improve in relation to other teams are Time of Possession (currently ranked 8th with opponents having the ball 28:15 per game), Passing Touchdowns Allowed (currently tied with Chicago and Atlanta at zero), and Turnover Differential (currently ranked 8th with +1 in the turnover column).

Where they're not doing so well at all is in Sacks (currently ranked 26th with only six sacks), Rushing Yards Per Game (currently ranked 20th at 118.0 yards per game surrendered on the ground), and Yards Per Rush (currently 18th at 3.9 yards per carry).

So there you go. Should be interesting to see how they do in Arizona this Sunday. I think the Cardinals are very similar to the Niners in that they have an inexperienced QB, they want to rely on their running game, and they have a couple of good receivers on offense. Hopefully, Gunther won't forget about the blitz this time and we'll be applying pressure to Leinart all day.

CoMoChief
10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I think we need to jam their WR's (even though Boldin would be a bitch to jam at the LOS) and send the house.

Yes, everytime. Send the house GUN STYLE!!!

FAX
10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks for posting, Mr. RINGLEADER. Any way you cut it, 10.7 points per game is not bad.

So far, we're keeping good company. I do think that there should be some sort of adjustments in statistics affected by overtimes. It doesn't seem fair that a team's overall statistics are skewed by an additional semi-quarter.

FAX

TrickyNicky
10-03-2006, 06:25 PM
<b>Penalties Committed: First Place with 11 total penalties</b> against the defense;
That makes me so happy.

blueballs
10-03-2006, 06:25 PM
beating the Cards 41-0 and
the CHiefs still drop 2 spots

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

FAX
10-03-2006, 06:29 PM

That's unbelievably stupid, Mr. blueballs.

The Chiefs have never, ever gotten any respect. Even in the 13 and 0 run, there were many pundits who were all over Mr. Crackers and ignoring us. In a way, that's okay. But, I'm weary of being overlooked and underappreciated. I think I'll go throw cheese on somebody.

FAX

chiefsfaninNC
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Just one question. Just how do you anticipate that the Chiefs could improve on Passing Touchdowns Allowed? Am I reading the stat correctly?

blueballs
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
it's a case of
if the CHiefs defense beats you
you must really really suck

FAX
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Maybe if we stay at zero and Chicago and Atlanta give up a few?

FAX

CoMoChief
10-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I wish Greg Robinson was still here.

AZORChiefFan
10-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I like how before the game most football 'people' were saying how SF was a resurgent team on the upswing 4th offense or whatever. Then they(SF) go to arrowhead get stomped.

Then after said stomping the 'experts' are saying "KC's D performed great but this was against SF who sucks this year. They were on the 'upswing' earlier last week now they suck, I see.

Oh well.

Bob Dole
10-03-2006, 06:45 PM

And SF drops 2 also after getting mopped.

But hey...he made up for it by pushing Denver 4 spots higher after their impressive bye showing.

Power rankings are fairly worthless to begine with. Bob Dole can't quite come up with the appropriate adjective for this one.

chiefsfaninNC
10-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Maybe if we stay at zero and Chicago and Atlanta give up a few?

FAX

Yes, yes, of course. That must be it. I will post a prayer request to aid in this endeavor. Thanks FAX.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2006, 07:09 PM

I love this. Herm's teams seem to be extremely well disiplined.

Claynus
10-03-2006, 07:43 PM
The nice thing about this week is that the Cardinals really struggle to run the ball. Leinart is going to have to win the game by himself. Let's hope our offense can put up 20. That should be more than enough to win.

Chieficus
10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Just one question. Just how do you anticipate that the Chiefs could improve on Passing Touchdowns Allowed? Am I reading the stat correctly?

I think what he's saying is that they can improve in relation to other teams--i.e. the Chiefs keep giving up none and the other teams start giving up some...

edit: but I see fax beat me too the punch and I over looked that... :doh!:

Fishpicker
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
schrager admits he didn't even watch the game. WTF, shouldn't a sportswriter watch all the games for a complete analysis? what a hack

Smed1065
10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
After previous showings I am concerned to but to move us and SF down 2 and move a bye week team up 4 spots? It must be Fatlock in disquise.

cdcox
10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Football Outsiders has us ranked #3 in defense and #5 overall. It's still a very small sample size (3 games) so I don't read too much into it, but the defensive ranking is encouraging since they take into account the strength of the other teams' offenses. Still, I don't think Denver was giving us their full offense. Further, there top 8 or so defenses all look rock solid:

1. Baltimore
2. SD
3. KC
4. Chicago
5. Atlanta
6. Pittsburgh
7. Dallas
8. Jacksonville

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/10/03/ramblings/dvoa-rankings/4335/

Easy 6
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
It is just 3 games but to see us over Pitt & Chi makes me :clap: :clap: :clap:

JBucc
10-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Football Outsiders has us ranked #3 in defense and #5 overall. It's still a very small sample size (3 games) so I don't read too much into it, but the defensive ranking is encouraging since they take into account the strength of the other teams' offenses. Still, I don't think Denver was giving us their full offense. Further, there top 8 or so defenses all look rock solid:

1. Baltimore
2. SD
3. KC
4. Chicago
5. Atlanta
6. Pittsburgh
7. Dallas
8. Jacksonville

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/10/03/ramblings/dvoa-rankings/4335/

"Oh, man, all this stat stuff is making me horny. Oh yes, DAVE, aaaaahhhhh yeah baby, you know how I like it DAVE, oh yeah, harder."

cdcox 10/3/2006 @ 10:29 pm

:spock:
Looks like some planet people have been up to their usual shenanigans

beer bacon
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
it's a case of
if the CHiefs defense beats you
you must really really suck

I don't really care about being ranked 22nd, we are 1-2, and you can't give a 1-2 team a whole lot of respect. What I don't like is the guy disregarding the victory because it was against San Francisco.

Before we blew them out, nearly everyone was talking about the 49ers as one of the new up and coming teams. When we destroy them, we don't get any credit since it was "just the 49ers."

beer bacon
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
After previous showings I am concerned to but to move us and SF down 2 and move a bye week team up 4 spots? It must be Fatlock in disquise.

We also dropped a few spots in most polls during our bye week. The only thing polls like this are good for is the reasoning behind why teams are ranked where they are. The actual rankings should be disregarded.

cdcox
10-03-2006, 10:57 PM
"Oh, man, all this stat stuff is making me horny. Oh yes, DAVE, aaaaahhhhh yeah baby, you know how I like it DAVE, oh yeah, harder."

cdcox 10/3/2006 @ 10:29 pm

:spock:
Looks like some planet people have been up to their usual shenanigans

Well, I guess I won't be using "cdcox" on that site.