PDA

View Full Version : "Air Huard" takes off in Kansas City

Count Zarth
10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/damon-huard-chiefs031006.html

It had been a long time since Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard had thrown for over 200 yards in an NFL game.

Specifically, 2,521 days.

But what happened on Sunday had never happened before.

Huard posted a career-high quarterback rating of 133.3 in Kansas City's 41-0 blowout win over the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday.

Curiously enough, the last time Huard threw for over 200 yards, his defense pitched another shutout. That came back in 1999 when a Huard-led Miami Dolphins team blanked the Tennessee Titans , 17-0.

But on Sunday, things were a little different. San Francisco's defense shut down Chiefs running back Larry Johnson in the first half, holding him to just 24 yards rushing on 14 carries.

That meant the onus was on Huard to move Kansas City's offense down the field.

Huard stepped up and responded to the pressure immediately. He directed a crisp opening drive for a touchdown, completing all five of his passes for 60 yards and capping the march with a 13-yard lob to Dante Hall for the score.

On KC's second touchdown drive, Huard hit three passes for just 21 yards, but got the Chiefs into the end zone anyway. Kansas City picked up 33 yards in penalties on an unnecessary roughness call and pass interference five plays later.

With the Chiefs leading 17-0 just before halftime, "Air Huard" was anything but grounded. Following an interception by San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith, the Chiefs took over 34 yards away from the end zone.

It took them just one play to reach it. Huard faked a handoff to Johnson and fired a gorgeous 34-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Eddie Kennison, who caught the pass without breaking stride. It was a perfect throw.

Huard finished the first half 13 out of 15 passing for 152 yards and two touchdowns. With a 24-0 lead, Huard cooled his jets for the rest of the game and Kansas City was content to turn the game over to its running attack and defense, but the message was loud and clear: The Chiefs will attack down the field, even without starting quarterback Trent Green.

That was a major question mark after Huard's first start. Kansas City's offense looked almost scared to throw the ball longer than five yards against the Denver Broncos in Week 2. But that timid approach was apparently scrapped during the bye week.

That's good news for a team that will probably be without Green for at least two more weeks. The Chiefs can't afford to let teams shut down Johnson by stacking the box as the 49ers did on Sunday.

But if any future opponents try, they might just find themselves falling victim to another aerial assault from "Air Huard," the newest weapon in Kansas City.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? Contact C.E. Wendler at cwendler@realfootball365.com

Have an idea for making the site more enjoyable to our readers? Please send it to us at feedback@realfootball365.com. Get original Kansas City Chiefs analysis at RealFootball365.com

FAX
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Nice article, Mr. GoChiefs. Well done.

Huard got his onus on.

FAX

scott free
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I loves me some CHIEFS but i'll reserve judgement on Air Huard for now.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
[url]
But if any future opponents try, they might just find themselves falling victim to another aerial assault from "Air Huard," the newest weapon in Kansas City.

hahaha....hilarious.

chiefsfaninNC
10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Writers should always avoid using "onus" in sports articles. The similarity to anus makes this article impossible to read without chuckling.

FAX
10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Maybe "Hurlin' Huard" would work.

FAX

Count Zarth
10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Writers should always avoid using "onus" in sports articles. The similarity to anus makes this article impossible to read without chuckling.

It's a typo. I meant anus.

Coach
10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
"Slining Huard"

FAX
10-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Or maybe, "Damon The Vertical"?

FAX

Count Zarth
10-03-2006, 07:37 PM
"A Damon In The Rough"

JBucc
10-03-2006, 07:37 PM
"Downfield Damon" in Howard Cosell voice sounds nice

Raiderhader
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
It took them just one play to reach it. Huard faked a handoff to Johnson and fired a gorgeous 34-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Eddie Kennison, who caught the pass without breaking stride. It was a perfect throw.

My favorite offensive play of the game. That strike was simply beautiful in all aspects of the execution. It reminded me a little of the Green to Kennison strike in OT against Green Bay in '03.

I cannot stress enough the importance of stretching the field on first down off the play fake. I want to see it at least 8 times a game; twice per quarter.

SNR
10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
DAMON CARL! :cuss:

cdcox
10-03-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm just dreading the first Huardiception.

milkman
10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
It was a well planned and executed game plan by Huard and the Chiefs, and I was very pleased with the performance.

But the reality is that other than than TD pass to Eddie, and perhaps one other pass, Huard didn't throw downfield.

All of his other passes were in the 10-15 yard range, and shorter.

As I've said before, it was a Gannonesque type performance, and with LJ and an attacking defense, that should be good enough.

Ari Chi3fs
10-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Great article man. Good times... you Chiefs homer!!!

So when does the Arizona vs KC preview article come out?

Count Zarth
10-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Every Friday!

unlurking
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
OK, I've given you enough shit about your articles, I'll give you credit it for this one. Very well written. I would however like to say that I REALLY dislike the "Air Huard" schtick.

Other than that, good job.

blueballs
10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
If the info I read at Ganggreen is acurate
Huard is no. 2 in the NFL in passer rating
no. 1 David Carr

ChiefFan31
10-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Good Article

Phobia
10-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Good job, C.E. I hope the Huard Hype doesn't come back to hit you in the huevos.

Count Zarth
10-04-2006, 12:08 AM
It's cool, I only have one.

Smed1065
10-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Says another Huard promoter.......Because you would be wrong too?

Phobia
10-04-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm a Huard backer, but I'm not putting nicknames on him nor annointing him as the savior. I thought he'd prove people wrong and play well enough to win some games. That's all I'm saying. Anything beyond that is even more ballsy than being a simple Huard backer.

Short Leash Hootie
10-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Damon's confidence does have to be at an all-time high right now...that's always a good thing, no matter what...

One time, my confidence was real high, and I ended up in bed with a 59 year old accountant. He was hung like a moose!!!

Smed1065
10-04-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm a Huard backer, but I'm not putting nicknames on him nor annointing him as the savior. I thought he'd prove people wrong and play well enough to win some games. That's all I'm saying. Anything beyond that is even more ballsy than being a simple Huard backer.

I do not like to marry the first one that touches but I have been a Huard fan based on results and not myths. I have preached his record in support of you. OK I used you in case he lost. Get use to it...........

LOL

Raiderhader
10-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Damon's confidence does have to be at an all-time high right now...that's always a good thing, no matter what...

One time, my confidence was real high, and I ended up in bed with a 59 year old accountant. He was hung like a moose!!!

:spock:

FAX
10-04-2006, 09:10 AM

Aaw, Gee.

FAX