PDA

View Full Version : Tips for flying

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-04-2006, 06:28 AM
One of my friends won a trip for four to the Talladega race this weekend from Wonder Bread. He invited me so do you have any tips since I'll be flying for the first time? I've got the basics like toothpaste, toothbrush, 6 pairs of scissors, clothes.

Bwana
10-04-2006, 06:38 AM
Review the rules from the airline web page on what can and can't be brought on a plane. (It can change at the drop of a hat) and leave yourself A LOT of time depending on which airports you will be flying out of. It took me 90 minutes to go through the TSA security line in Atlanta last week.

Fish
10-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Be sure to wax your shoes, as you'll need the added friction on the uneven flight deck. They have no powdered creamer for the coffee on airplanes either, so put some in a ziploc baggie or two and carry it in your pocket. You should probably bring a sturdy pocket knife as well.... just in case the plane should ever go down on a desert island or something. Be sure to include a boxcutter or two, as they will put quite a bit of tape on your luggage and it will take you forever to cut all that tape. And remember the most important tip: The international greeting while on an airplane is "Bah Min Mah Seet" spoken loudly and quickly.

Have a great flight!

StcChief
10-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Travel light, carry on only. Most of the tooth paste, shampoo rules were lifted.
But check the web page of AA.com etc.

Allow extra time for TSA security. No Jokes about bombs,
be prepared to remove your shoes, belt, pat down.

Bwana
10-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Travel light, carry on only. Most of the tooth paste, shampoo rules were lifted.
But check the web page of AA.com etc.

Allow extra time for TSA security. No Jokes about bombs,
be prepared to remove your shoes, belt, pat down.The day I flew home last week you could have 3 oz CLEAR bottles, nothing bigger. They have giant garbage cans by the security stations that were full of containers bigger than 3 oz. I also saw them detaining an 80+ year old Grandmother in the little security cube. Not doubt she was a terrorist.

And as StcChief stated, travel as light as you can. They managed to once again lose one of my bags. Thank goodness it was on the return trip. They have some of the biggest pinheads on the face of the earth checking in baggage, hence, you have no idea where your bags will end up.

Hog Farmer
10-04-2006, 06:54 AM
To save yourself a lot of hassle, I wouldn't bother wearing shoes or underwear. Carry lots of dollar bills for the stripper/stewardess. If the plane takes a nosedive just throw your hands up like your going down a roller coaster. No sense in going out all panicked and screaming for your life. Just remember if the plane is going to crash to just step off right before it hits the ground.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
10-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Take an airplane.

CoMoChief
10-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Chew some gum so your ears won't pop as much in the change of altitude.

jspchief
10-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Dress appropriately.

Airplanes are always hot IMO, so I dress a little light. Wear something comfortable, and keep all metal items in your carry-on so passing through the metal detector is fast and easy. Wear shoes that slip off and on easily, because you'll have to remove them for security.

ROYC75
10-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Let the pilot fly the plane, OK. That is unless you stay at an Holiday Inn Express the night before.

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Be sure to wax your shoes, as you'll need the added friction on the uneven flight deck. They have no powdered creamer for the coffee on airplanes either, so put some in a ziploc baggie or two and carry it in your pocket. You should probably bring a sturdy pocket knife as well.... just in case the plane should ever go down on a desert island or something. Be sure to include a boxcutter or two, as they will put quite a bit of tape on your luggage and it will take you forever to cut all that tape. And remember the most important tip: The international greeting while on an airplane is "Bah Min Mah Seet" spoken loudly and quickly.

Have a great flight!I don't have a pocket knife. Do you think a steak knife would suffice? Thanks for all the advice!

Skip Towne
10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
One of my friends won a trip for four to the Talladega race this weekend from Wonder Bread. He invited me so do you have any tips since I'll be flying for the first time? I've got the basics like toothpaste, toothbrush, 6 pairs of scissors, clothes.
Flying for the first time is scary. I'd take some lessons first.

CHENZ A!
10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a race, let alone fly, but good luck anyway.

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Flying for the first time is scary. I'd take some lessons first.My wife can teach me. Now where did she put her broom...

(I'm definitely going to get my ass kicked if she sees this.)

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a race, let alone fly, but good luck anyway.I'm definitely not a NASCAR fan but it will be fun to hang out with friends for a few days and check out Alabama. In fact, last Halloween I was a NASCAR fan. I had overalls, buck teeth, signs with mispelled words etc.

Easy 6
10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Dont Die

NJ Chief Fan
10-04-2006, 07:17 PM
dont forget to say bomb every other word while on the plane

CHENZ A!
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm definitely not a NASCAR fan but it will be fun to hang out with friends for a few days and check out Alabama. In fact, last Halloween I was a NASCAR fan. I had overalls, buck teeth, signs with mispelled words etc.

I'm sure you'll have a blast, I guess I shouldn't knock it, because I have never been.

milkman
10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
How the hell does a company that, to my knowledge, is still in Chapter 11 bankruptcy give away this kind of prize?

Count Zarth
10-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Dress appropriately.

Airplanes are always hot IMO, so I dress a little light. Wear something comfortable, and keep all metal items in your carry-on so passing through the metal detector is fast and easy. Wear shoes that slip off and on easily, because you'll have to remove them for security.

You mean I can't wear my Boba Fett costume?

CHENZ A!
10-04-2006, 07:24 PM
How the hell does a company that, to my knowledge, is still in Chapter 11 bankruptcy give away this kind of prize?

Ricky Bobby.. :shrug:

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
You wanna know the secret to surviving air travel??

Once you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks and walk around on the rug barefoot and make fists with your toes.

Bugeater
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Skip Towne
10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Some judge approved their "recovery" plan. I'd like to see the stats on how many chapter 11's ever "recover".

Bugeater
10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Joey, have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

Rain Man
10-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Tips for first-time flyers

Do:

1. Pay attention to the safety video. The seat belts on planes can be complicated.

2. Bring a little small change if it's a long flight, in case it's one of those airlines that makes you buy the headphones for the movie.

3. Wear shoes that can be easily removed. This is good for the metal detectors and for sticking your feet out the window if you get hot.

4. Drink water on the airplane instead of other stuff, unless you're sleepy and need a soda.

5. When you're in the waiting area, stand or walk around instead of sitting. Airline seats are very tiny and cramped; no sense in starting the cramping process ahead of time.

Don't:

1. Wear a red headband and quote the Koran.

2. Try to open your window.

3. Try to bring any liquids or gels onto the plane.

4. Run screaming down the aisle and try to break into the cockpit.

5. Ask the stewardess to repeat the instructions for the seat belts.

6. Ask the stewardess if she'd like to join the Mile High Club. She's heard it a million times and she's most likely 60 years old anyway.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Use the word Jihad Colorfully in sentences around other passengers but never admit to it when security/police are around. Ask the Pilot in your best Choirboy voice to not crash the plane. mumble loudly to yourself that there is nothing in your shoes not even explosives. Ask the stewardess for extra peanuts and tell her you want to keep the soda can as a souvenir.

DOH!!! Rainman beat me to it! :rolleyes:

Frazod
10-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Flap your arms really hard.

Halfcan
10-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Flap your arms really hard and hope for an updraft of air. Jumping off the garage with a trash bag does NOT work.

greg63
10-04-2006, 09:12 PM

Flap your arms really hard.

Flap your arms really hard and hope for an updraft of air. Jumping off the garage with a trash bag does NOT work.

Don't do it! If we were meant to fly we'd have been born with wings! :p :D

Bill Parcells
10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Always check the tag that is put on your luggage when you check it in to make sure that 1)The adhesive is on firmly 2)your ultimate destination is on the tag..this will help with the lost luggage problems I have read earlier in this thread..

Have a safe trip!!!

SPchief
10-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Make sure you bring insulin in needles. Mark them with a H on it so you know they are yours.

Bugeater
10-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

Fishpicker
10-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Chew some gum so your ears won't pop as much in the change of altitude.

seriously...that is probably the most useful information I have seen posted so far.

I ruptured my tympanic membrane (broken ear drum) whilst rubbing my ears during a flight. I couldn't sleep or walk straight for a week.

Don't make fun. I was 11 y.o. at the time.

Psyko Tek
10-04-2006, 10:59 PM
go early to get through security
and take the spare time to get really drunk,
sleep during flight