PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs add CB Justin Phinisee to PS

Fire Me Boy!
10-04-2006, 09:47 AM
KANSAS CITY ADDS CB JUSTIN PHINISEE TO PRACTICE SQUAD

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Wednesday that the club has added CB Justin Phinisee to its practice squad.

Phinisee (5-11, 199) originally entered the NFL as the first of three seventh-round draft choices (235th overall) by Tampa Bay in 2006. He was a four-year letterman at Oregon, starting 29 games in his career. He recorded 183 tackles, 3.0 sacks, seven interceptions and 19 passes defensed for the Ducks. Phinisee earned first-team All-Pac 10 honors as a senior when he produced 56 tackles, a team-high seven passes defensed and ranking second on the club with four interceptions.

The Long Beach, California native was a second-team all-state selection at Compton High School in Compton, California. Phinisee played quarterback his senior season, throwing for 738 yards and six touchdowns.

noa
10-04-2006, 09:48 AM
WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!!

milkman
10-04-2006, 10:00 AM
I bet the Chiefs were hoping they could add Maxey to the PS, but when the Bears picked him up, they had to look elsewhere to find another corner for the PS.

ct
10-04-2006, 10:03 AM
They shouldn't have released Maxey to begin with.

milkman
10-04-2006, 10:05 AM

Agreed.

Dalton should have gotten his walking papers.

ArrowheadHawk
10-04-2006, 10:39 AM
who dat?

StcChief
10-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Losing Maxey was stupid, this sneek somebody on PS idea is really dumb.

Agree Dalton needs to go.

milkman
10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Losing Maxey was stupid, this sneek somebody on PS idea is really dumb.

But.....But, it's worked so well in the past.

Woodrow Call
10-04-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/phinisee_justin

SUMMARY
Phinisee is a tough and versatile player who played both cornerback and safety at Oregon and is sort of stuck between the two positions in the NFL. He has the quick feet, acceleration and playing speed to stay on the receiver’s hip on deep routes, but the trouble is that his footwork/backpedal is so raw and choppy that he struggles to get in and out of the backpedal quickly to break and close on passes consistently. He is at his best in zone coverage because he does not really have to pedal much and can just plant, drive and close based on his quick read of the quarterback. In zone coverage, he has a quick closing burst to the ball and can break up passes well. His lack of good hips and flexibility hinder Phinisee’s ability to turn and run with receivers because he consistently loses a step. He is not helped by the fact that he does not slow the receiver’s release with a good jam in press coverage. He is definitely tough enough and tackles well enough for a cornerback, but is not a consistent enough tackler for a safety. His ability to make big plays as a punt returner is what is going to give Phinisee a chance to have an NFL career. Phinisee can make it in the NFL as a backup cornerback and safety who will make most of his plays on the special teams coverage units and as a punt returner.

STRONG POINTS
Phinisee is a quick-footed cornerback who can plant, drive and close quickly on short passes from zone coverage and has shown ability to break up passes with his front arm. He has good hands and can cut underneath the receiver from "trail" coverage to make a good interception. He has the playing speed to run with receivers deep down the field. He consistently comes up quickly on runs and short passes in front of him and is willing to make hard and physical hits. He has experience returning punts and shows a quick burst of acceleration to full speed, and once he gets to full speed, he has the ability to make big returns.

WEAKNESSES
Phinisee is a "tweener" who has the straight-line playing speed, foot quickness and size for cornerback, but he lacks the hips, flexibility and technique to be good in man-to-man coverage. While he is a tough enough hitter for safety, he is not a consistent enough tackler. His backpedal is raw and choppy and he struggles to transition out of his backpedal quickly to break, close and make plays on passes.

JBucc
10-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Just what we need, another CB/S hybrid.

ArrowheadHawk
10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Just what we need, another CB/S hybrid.
isn't that our favorite type

buddha
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Just one more reason why the Bears have one of the best defenses in the league and KC is inconsistent. I still haven't gotten over losing Maxey the way we did...! Did we really think he would clear waivers? Apparently so...but really, how stupid is that?

ct
10-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Just one more reason why the Bears have one of the best defenses in the league and KC is inconsistent. I still haven't gotten over losing Maxey the way we did...! Did we really think he would clear waivers? Apparently so...but really, how stupid is that?

Well we had to have that former 1st round WR. Who needs young CB prospects, when we got two 30-somethin former Pro-Bowlers?

DaBears recognize he's good enough to be their 6th CB, but he's not good enough to be our 5th? :shake:

Woodrow Call
10-04-2006, 01:22 PM

What exactly did Maxey show while he was a Chief to make this loss so hard to overcome and make the Bears look smart? IMO Chris Johnson and Hodge outplayed him in the preseason.

Was Maxey a bad draft pick? Probably so.
Is ever going to be more than a dime a dozen DB? Doubtful.

NJ Chief Fan
10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
maxey will end up as a safety for the bears

buddha
10-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Archie...it's a decision based on where these guys will be in a year or two...not based on what they did in 3-4 weeks of camp. Maxey is a physical speciman and after a year in NFL Europe, he will season into a DB we would have wanted (CB or S...doesn't matter). We knew he was a project when we drafted him...and a very worthwhile project at that.

Rain Man
10-04-2006, 01:52 PM
What exactly did Maxey show while he was a Chief to make this loss so hard to overcome and make the Bears look smart? IMO Chris Johnson and Hodge outplayed him in the preseason.

Was Maxey a bad draft pick? Probably so.
Is ever going to be more than a dime a dozen DB? Doubtful.

Based on the little bit of preseason that I saw, I was pretty impressed with Chris Johnson. Is he on our practice squad or anything?

Woodrow Call
10-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Based on the little bit of preseason that I saw, I was pretty impressed with Chris Johnson. Is he on our practice squad or anything?

I think he is still a FA; I dont think he eligible for the PS. I was also impressed by his play and thought he had a legit shot at making the team.

Woodrow Call
10-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Archie...it's a decision based on where these guys will be in a year or two...not based on what they did in 3-4 weeks of camp. Maxey is a physical speciman and after a year in NFL Europe, he will season into a DB we would have wanted (CB or S...doesn't matter). We knew he was a project when we drafted him...and a very worthwhile project at that.

I can see where you are coming from. I think we just have different opinions on Maxey's abilities. I guess we'll see in a few years.

Frosty
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Great. Another Duck... :grr:

StcChief
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
A Year or 2 will tell. by then our Tweener will pan out, or
not. I just hope they made the right choice.
Tweener's have done so well for us in the past :rolleyes:

DaBears being defense minded must have seen something or just taking a flyer because they need someone..... If Herm was so D minded how does he keep Dalton knowing he doesn't really fit.

Woodrow Call
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
A Year or 2 will tell. by then our Tweener will pan out, or
not. I just hope they made the right choice.
Tweener's have done so well for us in the past :rolleyes:

DaBears being defense minded must have seen something or just taking a flyer because they need someone..... If Herm was so D minded how does he keep Dalton knowing he doesn't really fit.

I think it comes down to depth. Right now the Chiefs are deep at CB and paper thin at DT. They can't afford to cut Dalton or Sims for that matter because they have no other options.

When it comes to evaluating DBs I give Herm the benefit of the doubt. If he thought Maxey was someone that they couldn't afford to lose he would have kept him and someone else would have been cut.

Frankie
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
The Bears picked Maxey up. If he was good enough for the Bears, he certainly was good enough for us. :doh!:

HemiEd
10-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Yep that Bears organization is Brilliant I tell ya, Brilliant! They never make any mistakes!

http://www.firejerryangelo.com/

They have screwed up more top 10 draft picks than the Chiefs have ever even had in their history!

StcChief
10-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I think it comes down to depth. Right now the Chiefs are deep at CB and paper thin at DT. They can't afford to cut Dalton or Sims for that matter because they have no other options.

When it comes to evaluating DBs I give Herm the benefit of the doubt. If he thought Maxey was someone that they couldn't afford to lose he would have kept him and someone else would have been cut.

Ok so we are deep now at CB weak at DT
Reed/Edwards, Sims/Wilkerson S.Williams (promoted up) Dalton injury
, OT - Turley (injury), Black, Svitek,
Sampson, Black, Svitek

So the other OT if Turley remains hurt?

I just hope this wasn't a roster move hoping to keep draft pick by moving them that back fires. Immediately sign another CB after the Maxey move didn't work. If they are short at OT/DT.....

milkman
10-04-2006, 05:24 PM

I think adding Steve Williams to the roster is just the precurser to cutting Dalton when he's healthy.

Kid looks like a player with a motor and some talent.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting by he start of next season alongside Reed.

penchief
10-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Yep that Bears organization is Brilliant I tell ya, Brilliant! They never make any mistakes!

http://www.firejerryangelo.com/

They have screwed up more top 10 draft picks than the Chiefs have ever even had in their history!

But, they do no defense.

milkman
10-04-2006, 07:05 PM
But, they do no defense.

They don't have a defense?

blueballs
10-04-2006, 07:10 PM
another Duck

chiefsfaninNC
10-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Can he play OT?

CHENZ A!