PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth apologizes to Gurode, won't appeal suspension

Fire Me Boy!
10-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Haynesworth apologizes to Gurode, won't appeal suspension

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) After dialing his number all day with no luck, Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth finally got the chance Tuesday to personally apologize to Andre Gurode for tearing open the Cowboys center's face with a cleat.

Haynesworth spent much of the day getting nothing but unanswered rings and a full voice mail box, then connected in the late afternoon with Gurode, who needed 30 stitches to repair the facial cuts.

"The purpose of the conversation was to apologize," said Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck.

Haynesworth was suspended five games without pay by the NFL the longest-ever punishment in the NFL for on-field behavior for kicking Gurode's helmet off, then swiping his cleated foot on his face while he lay on the ground. Speck said Haynesworth wouldn't appeal, even though the NFL Players Association wanted him to try.

"He said Sunday night he would accept the league's decision of what to do from a discipline standpoint, and that's what he's going to do," Speck said.

Haynesworth's agent gave the tackle's phone number to Gurode's agent and the Cowboys, hoping to connect the players. That finally happened, but Speck wouldn't detail the conversation and said he is leaving that to either Gurode or Haynesworth if they choose.

Gurode's agent, Kennard McGuire, did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The Dallas center plans to talk with his family about whether or not to press charges, his agent told Nashville police Monday.

Haynesworth's suspension was more than twice as long as the previous punishment for a player's misbehavior on the field. Green Bay lineman Charles Martin got two games for throwing Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon onto his shoulder in 1986.

The NFL Players Association is studying the suspension.

"We're just in the fact-finding stage right now," NFLPA spokesman Carl Francis said before Haynesworth's decision not to appeal.

"For what I did, whatever they give me, I deserve it. I did it, and it's wrong," Haynesworth said Sunday after he was ejected from the 45-14 loss to Dallas.

The Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday that Gurode still had blurry vision Monday. Gurode said after the game Sunday that he would have gone back on the field if his vision had been clear.

But fans and even people who pay no attention to sports condemned Haynesworth's actions; many said five games wasn't enough. Haynesworth was replaced by a rookie teammate on his weekly radio show Tuesday night, which airs live from a shopping mall south of Nashville.

The Titans agreed to terms with Tony Brown on Tuesday as a replacement for Haynesworth on the defensive line. His suspension had left Tennessee with veteran Robaire Smith, Randy Starks in his third season and rookie Jesse Mahelona, who sprained a knee against Dallas. Brown is a two-year veteran who has four career starts and was most recently with Carolina.

The Titans asked the league to clarify the restrictions that would be on Haynesworth during the suspension, which will keep him off the field until Nov. 19, when the Titans visit Philadelphia. Players suspended for substance abuse violations cannot work out with their teams nor attend games, but it was not clear if those rules applied to Haynesworth.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said because there is no precedent for a suspension of this length for on-field activities, the NFL was researching what might apply and will get back to the team.

Bwana
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Well isn't that special?

Rain Man
10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
I'll bet Tony Brown tries to goad Haynesworth into doing it again in the future.

Iowanian
10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Lionell Dalton should have Haynesworth's spot.

He won't commit violence on anyone...on the field.

Sully
10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I think it's absolutely great that he won't appeal.
One of the things I hate about MLB is that they appeal any suspension or fine, no matter how guilty the player clearly is. At least this guy is saying he's lucky to only be suspended 5 games.

Frazod
10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
At least Haynesworth is handling the fall out like a man. No whining, excuses or legal wrangling - just "I did it, I suck, I'll take the punishment." Obviously this doesn't excuse what he did, but in this day and age, taking personal responsibility for things is getting rarer by the minute.

Fire Me Boy!
10-04-2006, 11:48 AM
At least Haynesworth is handling the fall out like a man. No whining, excuses or legal wrangling - just "I did it, I suck, I'll take the punishment." Obviously this doesn't excuse what he did, but in this day and age, taking personal responsibility for things is getting rarer by the minute.
I agree 100 percent.

Bwana
10-04-2006, 11:51 AM
I would have to agree with most of that. The NFL players union could stand to pick up a few tips from his actions. Some of their quotes are priceless. :shake:

Easy 6
10-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Ditto.

Iowanian
10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I'd think the NFLPU might be more concerned with protecting the faces of their members from cheap bullshit like this, than encouraging him to not accept the punishment he deserves.

Demonpenz
10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
I would offer to pay any medical bills the guy has then donate some money to an organization that helps woman who get beaten or a related organization.

Demonpenz
10-04-2006, 12:06 PM

I thought for sure in his interview hansworth was going to go "That ****er deserved it" I ain't going to get punked! I am glad he just said you know what? That was bullshit

CosmicPal
10-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I think he's showed a lot of class.

The NFLPA wanted him to appeal, but he declined. And then he spends all day calling the center to apologize. It doesn't excuse him for what he did, but it does show some class in a world that has very little of it right now.

Sorce
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM

To me it sounds like he's handling it like a man who knows charges could still be filed and he's trying to avoid that.

If he was truely sorry he wouldn't have done it in the first place. Sorry is something you say when you make a mistake, not after you do something stupid on purpose.

Mr. Laz
10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
good for him ...... sack up and take the suspension and move on.

shows that he's understands he was wrong

Basileus777
10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
To me it sounds like he's handling it like a man who knows charges could still be filed and he's trying to avoid that.

If he was truely sorry he wouldn't have done it in the first place. Sorry is something you say when you make a mistake, not after you do something stupid on purpose.

I don't buy that this is some clever ruse to prevent Gurode from filing charges. Haynesworth looks sincere to me. It obviously doesn't change how disgusting his actions were, but at least he is willing to take responsibility for what he did.

Sure-Oz
10-04-2006, 01:17 PM
People make mistakes and split second judgements in anger! Yes, he should've never done what he did, but atleast he is man enough to apologize to the guy. I think alot of people don't do that now days, atleast he is doing the right thing out of something so ugly. I'm sure he feels real bad about it now. No one thinks when they are angry.

Rooster
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
It will be very interesting to see if the Dallas center decides to press charges in a court of law. That could set a presedence for other lawsuits in the future.

You know there are many lawyers out there that would love the chance to milk these highly paid athletes of some serious cash. This may be the beginning of a new chapter in the NFL and not a good chapter at that.

Probably won't ever get that bad where players are sueing for blown knees and concussions but lawyers have ruined a lot of great things in this country, I hope the NFL isn't one of them.

I am Rooster and I approve this message. :)

Sorce
10-04-2006, 01:33 PM
You guys do have a point and I have no clue what went on during their phone conversation. But anger is not an excuse for this kind of behavior. The thing that makes me suspicious of his apology is that he's had problems in the past. If you keep doing bad things and then apologizing for them eventually your apologies won't mean much.

the Talking Can
10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
"yo dog..sorry for tearing your face open..."