PDA

View Full Version : STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 01:18 AM
"Cunningham also was unavailable for comment. His wife, Rene, said that the coach was asleep at 11 p.m. and that they were unaware of any changes."

Gunther is getting some sleep? No way!

Heck, I can't even sleep... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Joe Seahawk
01-04-2001, 01:25 AM
Yeah, He wakes up...Goes to his door, picks up his U.S.A. today, and finds out he's FIRED!! What a classy way for a hard working coach to find out...Gun, better get the smelling salts ready...

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/nfldraftman/images/seahawks.gif

ChiefsFanatic
01-04-2001, 01:35 AM
Now Joe, it could be possible that he already knows that he could be out. maybe that is why he insists that he will not have to mend fences next year. Maybe he already knows because he is asleep at 11pm. But, please, don't let King Carl's lack of class shine on the Chiefs too much.

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 01:49 AM
Joe,
I think it is entirely possible that if Carl was to find that Vermiel had no intention of coming back, he was going to keep Gunther on board one more year. I think Vermiel could be the only guy Carl would decide to make a change for. So he had to discuss this and make sure before he fired Gun, otherwise if he fires him and Dick doesn't want to come, he's got to launch a whole new search. I agree it is an awkward situation. I really do like Gunther as a person and I wish this thing in KC would have worked out, if anyone deserved it it was Gunther. But business is business unfortunately.

As a side note, this entire Vermiel thing seems to all be stemming from a single USA Today article, and I've never known USA Today as the leader in "breaking" stories. The Star, CBS Sportsline, St Louis Post Dispatch, all going by quotes from that USA Today article. They better be right on this one, otherwise there will be a lot of egg on their faces. I almost fully expect Carl to deny the article tomorrow...

Joe Seahawk
01-04-2001, 02:00 AM
Sportsline's info was actually quite a bit different than USA today's

As part of the Tip sheet item, SportsLine.com reported that Vermeil would likely hire current St. Louis assistant head coach Al Saunders. The plan, sources said, would be for Saunders to succeed Vermeil in 3-4 years.

Should Vermeil not accept the Kansas City job, it is believed he will recommend the team reach out to Saunders. Another name under discussion is University of Washington head coach Rick Neuheisel, another man with a UCLA background.

Team officials canceled at least two meetings with Cunningham last week and his staff remains in the dark about its future.

Dont get me wrong...Gunther IMO is not a retainable head coach based on the stuff I personally witnessed this year (on tv).

However, I really do hope the Organization showed some sort of tact, this seems to be reported in the press before there is even an opening...What's up with that?
Very strange IMO

[This message has been edited by Joe Seahawk (edited 01-04-2001).]

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 02:29 AM
Yeah you're right, although Pasquarelli is wrong half the time. I think he also reported Dillon was about to sign with us last offseason too, and reported that the Raiders had signed Robert Brooks, etc.

The more I think about it, the worse I feel for Gun. Don't get me wrong, I want him outta here, but the poor guy put his heart and soul into this thing for two years and it just didn't work out. I do hope if this is true that they don't part on bad terms. Gunther is and always will be one of my favorite people in the NFL...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/mm/images/adminpicts/exec9335.jpg

[This message has been edited by DaWolf (edited 01-04-2001).]

Notorious GUN
01-04-2001, 03:33 AM
While the USA Today may not be a credible source, one of my close friends informed me tonight that the writer of the USA Today piece, Larry Weisman, is good friends with Carl Peterson. Both were seen at last years training camp together talking and what not. So, I guess the writer of the article must know something if he is indeed friends with CP.

I think, based on the Vermeil quote, that he will not accept the job until Gunther is gone. Vermeil and Marty Schottenheimer must be the same people. Both deny interest in both jobs, and its likely that both will end up in the places they said they wouldn't be.

Vermeil went from saying he had no interest, to saying he doubted he would coach again, to saying that he wouldn't ever rule something out, to now saying that it wouldn't be ethically correct of him to comment. Notice a pattern here. The next thing Vermeil will say is I accept.

Gaz
01-04-2001, 08:19 AM
As a human being, I bleed for Gunther. I liked the guy and wanted him to succeed after years of yearning for the position. Unfortunately, he failed spectacularly on a national stage. I would like him to stay on as DC, but I realize that will not happen. I wish him well as DC for another team until he plays us. I hope Carl gives him a chance to resign with a modicum of dignity.

As a Chiefs fan, Gunther must go NOW! He is a bad HC who hurt my team by substituting stubborn personal loyalty for the best interests of the team. That borders on treason and hangings too good for him.

xoxo~
gaz
somewhat bi-polar this morning.

[This message has been edited by Gaz (edited 01-04-2001).]

Otter
01-04-2001, 08:38 AM
Couldn't have said it better Gaz.

I liked Gun as a person but have grown to loath him as a head coach. His press conferences were embarrassing. (OH my god please just answer the question!!!) And the decision making, from retaining Stock and the boys to allowing the circus at RB, made me lose respect for him. Plus a whole lot of other stuff but we all have work to get done today.

Anyway, I don't think he will ever be given the chance to be a HC after this, IF all this is true. He's proven that while a hell of a DC, he's not meant for the spotlight of head coaching. I wish him luck except when opposing my Chiefs.

Bwana
01-04-2001, 08:43 AM
Otter/Gaz........well put gentlemen. I couldn't agree more.

TeenagerFromMars
01-04-2001, 12:10 PM
I think Gun will wake up from his sleep saying, "I know exactly where my team is going after that two-year long training camp..."

TFM
~Ditto on liking Gun the human

Spott
01-04-2001, 12:12 PM
Are you really from Mars? ;)

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

TeenagerFromMars
01-04-2001, 12:22 PM
Only if Glen Danzig is...

TFM
~Would rather be in Florida than on Mars

Spott
01-04-2001, 12:35 PM
Did you ever use that thing on netzero that disables the ads?

------------------

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 12:38 PM
There is a thing for Netzero that disables ads?

TeenagerFromMars
01-04-2001, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I did (Thank you, btw), and apparently so did thousands of other people. You could find that same hack any number of places on the net. Now Netzero has issued a new version of the program that isn't as easy to hack (I think). I didn't know about the new version and one day my logon wouldn't work anymore so I downloaded the new version. I think they closed my account, though because my old password no longer works.

Now Netzero has pretty much cornered the "Free" internet market by enforcing their patent on the Zeroport ad banner. They are suing every company that uses a version of it. I guess Netzero's AOL roots are finally showing through. I said, "screw 'em" and decided to use Mrs. Mars' company's ISP (even though I have to pay).

TFM

Spott
01-04-2001, 01:01 PM
They did the same to me. They sent me this email saying I had to download the new version because the ads weren't coming up. Then they sent me an email saying they were cancelling my id. I still use them but now I'm "mizzou4". They are also going to start charging people $9.95 if you want to use more than 40 hours a month. I've got a couple of the other free ones like the Simpsons & Yahoo.

------------------

Spott
01-04-2001, 01:04 PM
Dawolf,

There is a hack that disables the ads but Netzero is tracking it now. If you do it, I suggest you use bogus registration info because they can bill you for tampering with their software.

------------------