PDA

View Full Version : Question for "The Wire" fans

BigRock
10-05-2006, 03:03 AM
I was watching the last episode of The Wire and two things really jumped out at me. First, the scene where Randy (the kid who changes shirts and sells candy at school) got busted and was sent to the office. And then the scene where Michael went to the boxing match with his coach.

Randy seems like a smart kid who has a good sense for business, and he ended up ratting out a kid who was spraypainting the walls. Good at business matters... rolls over on somebody... isn't that basically Stringer Bell in a nutshell? And if I remember right, Avon Barksdale was a boxer back before he turned into the head gangster... and now we have Michael getting into the same sport.

Add in that Namon is Wee-Bay's son, and isn't it like the story they're telling with these kids has basically remade the show's original crew with a mini Avon, Stringer, and Wee-Bay?

Assuming that's accurate, do you think it's just a neat little side note to the season that you can see the old characters in these kids, or could it be important? Could they be using these kids to tell the story of how Avon's crew rose up?

I'm not sure if there's really an answer... we'll probably be able to tell by the end of the season. I knew the Wire was incredibly well written, but if they're giving the backstory of the series without ever looking to the past, and are telling the history through new characters, that's off the page amazing for a show to pull off. They could distance themselves from anything that's ever been on TV.

And nobody will notice, probably.

Brock
10-05-2006, 08:17 AM
The problem with this is that all of those kids are likeable. How they get from that to being vicious, unfeeling killers is another story, I suppose.

Basileus777
10-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Thats a really good observation. I don't know if its intentional, but I can see the similarities. I don't think it matters at all that the kids are likeable, considering how multi-dimensional the characters of the Wire are.

Stringer never really "rolled over on somebody" though. Stringer turned in Avon to Bunny, but it wasn't to save himself, it was a "business decision".

BigRock
10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
That's true, Stringer didn't turn in Avon to save himself, like Randy did when he got called to the office. I guess it depends on how seriously he got punished... they didn't call his foster mom, but they could have done something to him. Really, though, a kid selling candy is probably pretty low on the list of problems the staff there has to worry about.

If Randy got away clean and goes right back to selling his stuff like nothing happened, we might be able to look at him ratting out the kid as a business move. But I don't think it has to be an exact parallel to Stringer.

And I think the fact that the kids are likeable helps make it a better story. I don't think Avon and Stringer grew up as cold blooded criminals, surely they were just normal kids at some point. Maybe there's some event that changes them, or maybe it's just gradual. Randy, for example, will surely realize at some point that he can make more from drugs than he can from Skittles.

TrickyNicky
10-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Didn't Avon get into the business because his father was a dealer? Same with his sister, who eventually had De'Angelo.

BigRock
10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I really don't remember, to be honest.

Basileus777
10-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Didn't Avon get into the business because his father was a dealer? Same with his sister, who eventually had De'Angelo.

You are right. In season 1 Deangelo mentions that his grandfather was a dealer.

ArrowheadHawk
10-05-2006, 08:08 PM
what is the wire?

TrickyNicky
10-05-2006, 08:25 PM
what is the wire?
http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-First-Season/dp/B0002ERXC2/sr=8-1/qid=1160097722/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3495800-9868038?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

A great show on HBO about Baltimore's drug war. Has POV's from the Cops and the drug dealers. There really isn't anything like it on TV because most shows aren't interested in slowly establishing characters over more than a few episodes. Whereas the Wire sometimes takes a whole season to fully flesh out a character. Definitely look to rent it if you can, but it's worth buying if you're interested in the subject matter.

ArrowheadHawk
10-05-2006, 08:26 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-First-Season/dp/B0002ERXC2/sr=8-1/qid=1160097722/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3495800-9868038?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

A great show on HBO about Baltimore's drug war. Has POV's from the Cops and the drug dealers. There really isn't anything like it on TV because most shows aren't interested in slowly establishing characters over more than a few episodes. Whereas the Wire sometimes takes a whole season to fully flesh out a character. Definitely look to rent it if you can, but it's worth buying if you're interested in the subject matter.
no wonder i've never heard of it i don't pay extra for movie channels i just torrent the movies i want to watch :thumb: maybee i will download a few episodes of this show and see if i like it

TrickyNicky
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
If it sounds like something you'd like, marathon the whole first season over a weekend. I guarantee you'll jump to get the rest.

Basileus777
10-05-2006, 08:28 PM
what is the wire?

Its actually pretty difficult to explain right but basically, The Wire is an HBO series about crime in Baltimore. It shows the point of view of both the police and the "drug dealers". Its written by a former Baltimore police reporter and its known for its grittyness and realism.

Baby Lee
10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
no wonder i've never heard of it i don't pay extra for movie channels i just torrent the movies i want to watch :thumb: maybee i will download a few episodes of this show and see if i like it
I would suggest viewing an entire season, preferably the first, because as said above, it's a huge tapestry of a story meant to be viewed as a whole.
Single episodes will be quality, but the subtler and deeper, more resonant beats will be missed if you aren't already immersed in the world.
The cast list on hbo.com gives you a little insight as it separates the characters by the world they revolve in. It used to be even more illuminative, the way it showed the hierarchies within each world.
It basically breaks things down structurally, the police, the politicians, the drug dealers, the port authority, the school system, and shows you the parallels of power in each sphere. The police, from beat cop to detective to homicide to lieutenant's to brass. The politicos from city council to the mayor to the capital. The street from kid runners to foot soldiers to captains.
And it's all about how the 'bad guys' game the system to run their business, and the 'good guys' either get thwarted by differing goals within the system or go outside the system to get some results.