PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Rake - Where is Priest Holmes?

Douche Baggins
10-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Where is Priest Holmes? (http://chiefs.scout.com/2/575953.html)

By Jeff Rake

Trent Green high-fived his teammates, screamed out encouragement and helped with the playcalling in Kansas City’s 41-0 win over the San Francisco 49ers Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. All of this took place while he was injured and unable to play.

Though Green could not help out his team on the field, his presence was still felt. He made every contribution he could on the sidelines, as he tried to mentor backup quarterback Damon Huard and provide the Chiefs with an extra cheerleader.

He was active and full of energy, proving that he is truly the leader of the team. Call him the "vocal leader."

The Chiefs used to have a "silent leader," a player who once led by example and let his actions do the talking. Nobody has really seen him this season, which is odd - because at last check, he is still on the roster. In other words, he still collects a paycheck from owner Lamar Hunt. He is still a part of the team.

That player is Priest Holmes, who, like Green, is recovering from injury. Nobody has heard from him. He has disappeared, probably choosing to stay at his home in San Antonio, Texas, rather than sharing in the camaraderie of a team he once carried on his back.

Holmes has always been the quiet type, never one to self-promote but surely not the type to lose focus of the business side of things. He was always looking for a better contract - "fair compensation" as he called it - and nearly held out for more money in 2003.

The Chiefs gave him a new contract that year, and paid him to play football at a high level. Holmes did that, scoring 27 touchdowns, which was a record at the time.

Ever since that season he has been on-and-off, battling injuries from the hips to the head. He is still waiting to be medically cleared so that he can come off the physically unable to perform (PUP) list and rejoin the team later on in the season.

Or is he?

Holmes hasn't felt the need to support his teammates and hasn't felt the need to inform the fans who cheered him for so many seasons. Perhaps he is jealous of running back Larry Johnson, who is the new star in Kansas City. Maybe he has come to the realization that he will never play football again.

Regardless, he has had plenty of time to think about his decision, and only he knows what his next move will be. It's time to speak up.

If Holmes plans on retiring, then he should just announce it now. If he plans on returning, then he's got plenty of explaining to do. So long as he is under contract, it is his obligation to support his team and to provide whatever he can. Energy. Leadership. Encouragement.

Green has done it for three weeks and has shown that he is truly the ultimate "team guy."

I used to think Holmes was the same way. He used to credit his offensive line and never put himself on a pedestal. It seemed as if he were just "in it to win it." To me, Holmes wasn't like all the other All-Pro players, the guys who care more about statistics and awards than about wins and losses. Like Green, I thought Holmes was a "team guy."

Maybe I was just naive.

Hound333
10-05-2006, 06:12 AM
I have actually wondered where he was myself. I figured I might at least see him on the sidelines or in the owners box watching the game. I know he wanted to spend time with his family I lord knows I understand that, but if he's drawing a check from KC and taking up cap space I would hope he's at least there to offer support.

HemiEd
10-05-2006, 06:12 AM
I am pretty sure that Priest was at Willie Roaf's Kid's Birthday Party.

NewChief
10-05-2006, 06:27 AM
The author is naive. PH is a complete loner who doesn't have a single close friend on the team, AFAIK. Sure, he was a "leader" when he was marching into the end zone and winning games for the team, but he's no "leader" in the traditional sense of the word. I don't think he's really interested in being one, either.

Cochise
10-05-2006, 06:29 AM
Seems obvious that he's going to retire but they aren't going to do anything official yet to avoid a messy dispute over money.

Like he didn't do enough for the team during his time here. Leave the guy alone.

What a tool.

Braincase
10-05-2006, 07:09 AM
It all started going downhill when they quit serving nachos in the pressbox.

scott free
10-05-2006, 07:10 AM
The author is naive. PH is a complete loner who doesn't have a single close friend on the team, AFAIK. Sure, he was a "leader" when he was marching into the end zone and winning games for the team, but he's no "leader" in the traditional sense of the word. I don't think he's really interested in being one, either.
Help me understand why this is. He was so well liked in Baltimore that teammates were calling DV unsolicited to sing his praises. Why are we getting this Barry Sanders style silence from him?

Brock
10-05-2006, 07:15 AM
He doesn't owe you anything.

Bwana
10-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Here's to you Priest.

Phobia
10-05-2006, 07:20 AM
I understand the other positions on this matter, but I happen to agree with the author. Priest Holmes is one strange cat. Nobody knows what's going on in that head - not even the Chiefs. I wish the issue would be resolved - one way or another.

scott free
10-05-2006, 07:22 AM
He doesn't owe you anything.
I suppose your right Brock, but it would be cool to hear from him to see how he's doing :shrug:

Douche Baggins
10-05-2006, 07:49 AM
All things considered, I doubt Larry wants Priest around here.

Fruit Ninja
10-05-2006, 07:58 AM
All things considered, I doubt Larry wants Priest around here.I dont think Larry cares, he knwos Priest will never be a starter over him again.

hawkchief
10-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Another Carl Peterson orchestration. Priest is done, but it does Carl and Lamar no harm to keep alive the illusion he will retrurn on a white Warpaint to save the dwindling season ticket sales and take us to a playoff game. Nothing new here, just more BS from 1 Arrowhead Drive.

Brock
10-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Do you really think the fans care if Priest Holmes comes back or not?

scott free
10-05-2006, 08:06 AM
I have to admit that i care Brock. He & LJ would be the best RB duo hands down, I would love to have him back.

Basileus777
10-05-2006, 08:08 AM
He & LJ would be the best RB duo hands down

Not anymore. Right now I don't even know if Priest would be any better than Bennett. Priest had slowed down already last year, and after sitting around for a year away from football you cannot expect him to be anything close to what he was.

Fish
10-05-2006, 08:23 AM
So long as he is under contract, it is his obligation to support his team and to provide whatever he can. Energy. Leadership. Encouragement.

I disagree with this. And what exactly would he provide to LJ at this point? LJ doesn't strike me as the type who would want Priest around giving him pointers...

I still have a ton of respect for Priest and what he did here, and I don't think he owes us a damn thing...

Wile_E_Coyote
10-05-2006, 08:28 AM
All things considered, I doubt Larry wants Priest around here.

I agree. Herm's first move as HC was making LJ the man. This is his team now

ck_IN
10-05-2006, 08:29 AM
He's done enough for this team during the DV fiasco years. He put it on the line and got his career ended. He owes nothing to nobody.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-05-2006, 08:31 AM
I disagree with this. And what exactly would he provide to LJ at this point? LJ doesn't strike me as the type who would want Priest around giving him pointers...

If Priest did that, I could see LJ knocking him on his ass. That would be extremely bad for all involed

Lzen
10-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I used to think Holmes was the same way. He used to credit his offensive line and never put himself on a pedestal. It seemed as if he were just "in it to win it." To me, Holmes wasn't like all the other All-Pro players, the guys who care more about statistics and awards than about wins and losses. Like Green, I thought Holmes was a "team guy."

Maybe I was just naive.

My sentiments exactly. Yeah, I agree that Priest did a lot of great things for the organization. But if he's still collecting a huge paycheck, he still owes the team some work.

Brock
10-05-2006, 08:37 AM
My sentiments exactly. Yeah, I agree that Priest did a lot of great things for the organization. But if he's still collecting a huge paycheck, he still owes the team some work.

Not if he's injured.

morphius
10-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Priest is on the PUP list which means he can't participate in team practices/activities.

jesus what and idiot

DaFace
10-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Seems like I read that, if Priest retires on his own, he doesn't get a dime from the Chiefs. If he is forced to retire due to career-ending injury, though, he's entitled to some sort of injury settlement. The Chiefs are keeping him on the roster in hopes that some doctor will say he's healthy to play so that they don't have to pay him that type of settlement.

Can anyone confirm if that's true, or even if the logic makes sense?

Fruit Ninja
10-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Not anymore. Right now I don't even know if Priest would be any better than Bennett. Priest had slowed down already last year, and after sitting around for a year away from football you cannot expect him to be anything close to what he was.
Priest wold be much better then Bennet. Has he lost a little bit? probably, he's 33 now, He can still block, catch and make people miss. Priest is one of the most elusive backs to ever play the game, he see's the field better better then any running back ever. Up there with Emmit and Terrel Davis.

morphius
10-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Seems like I read that, if Priest retires on his own, he doesn't get a dime from the Chiefs. If he is forced to retire due to career-ending injury, though, he's entitled to some sort of injury settlement. The Chiefs are keeping him on the roster in hopes that some doctor will say he's healthy to play so that they don't have to pay him that type of settlement.

Can anyone confirm if that's true, or even if the logic makes sense?
Sounds about right, and if he retires the Chiefs could ask for part of the bonus back, though I think Carl may have already said that they wouldn't do that.

InChiefsHell
10-05-2006, 08:55 AM
PH is a constant reminder that fans care about the team more than their heroes who play on it, for the most part.
I don't even hold it against him. Look he knows he's not going to start in this league ever again, he knows that LJ is the man, and he knows that frankly, the team does not need him anymore. Sad but true. Add to that injuries, absence of Roaf and TRich, I'm sure he's not in any kind of hurry to play for this team any more. Now it's about the money, like DaFace outlined. It makes sense to me that Priest is doing what is financially best for Priest. Showing up to games and supporting a team that he will never play for again does not figure into that.

Sad but true. See ya Priest, we loved you more than you loved us while you were here.

mac58
10-05-2006, 09:09 AM
i would love to see Priest back, but Cmon with this loyal to the team ra ra shit. . .One of his few friends on team T Rich was treated like shit and basically said he wasnt worth shit. . .

Raiderhader
10-05-2006, 09:11 AM
i would love to see Priest back, but Cmon with this loyal to the team ra ra shit. . .One of his few friends on team T Rich was treated like shit and basically said he wasnt worth shit. . .

:spock:

mac58
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
this is the NFL there is no more loyalty its all about money. . .yeah I love what trent is doing but if we feel that we dont need him anymore we will sell him right out. . .and he is gone. . .

InChiefsHell
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM

...wha? TRich was treated like shit...and said Holmes wasn't worth a shit?

Please explain your post... :huh:

Wile_E_Coyote
10-05-2006, 09:15 AM

I'm not sold that T-Rich even wanted to come back

Cochise
10-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Priest is on the PUP list which means he can't participate in team practices/activities.

jesus what and idiot

Yes.

What if he were here, if he were in the press box, people would be bitching about him not being on the field. If he were on the field and nobody saw him talking to Johnson during the game, people would bitch that he wasn't doing enough. If he weren't in the huddles during timeouts, people would be complaining.

It seems to me like there is some kind of agreement between him and the Chiefs, where he doesn't have to retire yet, he can still rest himself for a year and see if he came comeback, in the meantime he still gets to collect his salary and there isn't an ugly battle between he and the team over money. When he does retire, they can put him on the ring of fame and he can go out with dignity and not in the middle of some war of words over a contract, where the team gets accused of doing what the fans are doing, throwing a team legend under the bus as soon as they haven't done something for you in the past week.

mac58
10-05-2006, 09:22 AM
i was just saying T Rich expresses he wanted to play in KC and we wouldnt give him the money he wanted or deserved. . .Im basically just saying in the NFL... owners, players, and the money make it hard to be loyal to ur team. . .it is getting more rare for a player to start his career and retire with the same team. . .so i really dont blame Priest. . .

shaneo69
10-05-2006, 09:35 AM
I understand the other positions on this matter, but I happen to agree with the author. Priest Holmes is one strange cat. Nobody knows what's going on in that head - not even the Chiefs. I wish the issue would be resolved - one way or another.

After Week 9, they either have to put him on IR, activate him, or release him.

Phobia
10-05-2006, 09:36 AM
After Week 9, they either have to put him on IR, activate him, or release him.

True. I'd bet my life savings he'll go on IR.

HMc
10-05-2006, 09:45 AM
i wonder if rams fans are asking when marshall faulk will be back

Douche Baggins
10-05-2006, 09:47 AM
True. I'd bet my life savings he'll go on IR.

I'll take that bet.

JBucc
10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
The way I feel is that if nobody in the Chiefs organization cares that he isn't here than neither do I. Priest is basically forgotten now. If he wants to cash his last check and ride off into the sunset more power to him.

picasso
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
I dont think Larry cares, he knwos Priest will never be a starter over him again.

But if Priest came back to play midseason I think Larry would get that oh crap I better run with more anger than I did against San Francisco thought in his head. Especially when Priest takes off for a 25 yard gain the first time he subs for Larry.

Phobia
10-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I'll take that bet.

My life savings against your life savings? I'm thinking it will be a push any way you slice it.

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Priest wold be much better then Bennet. Has he lost a little bit? probably, he's 33 now, He can still block, catch and make people miss. Priest is one of the most elusive backs to ever play the game, he see's the field better better then any running back ever. Up there with Emmit and Terrel Davis.

What? For one game? The dude hasn't been able to finish 3 out of the last 4 seasons he's played and now he'll probably never play again!

I can't believe that this is even an issue with any fan at this point, especially *informed* fans at Chiefsplanet.

Dude is DONE.