PDA

View Full Version : Using the Chief's Logo

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm hoping to design a shirt specifically for the Cardinal game and I'd like to use the Chiefs logo. For those in the know, did Chiefs Planet have to get permission to use for the site? I was hoping to make several shirts, not make money off them, just what they cost me for some other Chief pals.

I may be paranoid, but if I'm breaking copyright laws, I'd like to know about it before proceeding. Thanks in advance for the advice.

JBucc
10-05-2006, 04:38 PM
As long as you don't sell it it shouldn't matter.

Bob Dole
10-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm hoping to design a shirt specifically for the Cardinal game and I'd like to use the Chiefs logo. For those in the know, did Chiefs Planet have to get permission to use for the site?

What part of the ChiefsPlanet.com logo would require permission from the Chiefs?

DaFace
10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get away with an arrowhead outline with no permission, but you can't use the actual KC arrowhead logo.

Even so, I doubt they'd care enough about a few shirts to cause you any trouble about the logo, but technically, you're not supposed to.

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 05:25 PM
What part of the ChiefsPlanet.com logo would require permission from the Chiefs?

The outline, as mentioned, and then on the banner across the top of the web site on the right hand side is the actual logo.

Phobia
10-05-2006, 05:42 PM
The Chiefs can't own the shape of an indian relic. The logo in the banner is probably questionable but the Chiefs would have to prove damages, I think. This site nets in the negatives. I don't think anybody would push it.

dtebbe
10-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Just save the $$$ and buy dammit carl shirts instead. I'll cut you a deal, $10 each for 3 or more :D

DT

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 06:19 PM
The Chiefs can't own the shape of an indian relic. The logo in the banner is probably questionable but the Chiefs would have to prove damages, I think. This site nets in the negatives. I don't think anybody would push it.

Just finished it; hopefully this doesn't ruffle any feathers (guffaw). Any suggestions for clever slogans like "Chiefs love the Cardinals; taste like chicken"?

Bob Dole
10-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Just finished it; hopefully this doesn't ruffle any feathers (guffaw). Any suggestions for clever slogans like "Chiefs love the Cardinals; taste like chicken"?

Bob Dole thinks the graphic stands well on its own without any additional text.

JBucc
10-05-2006, 06:23 PM
That's pretty good. If you get in trouble tell them WPI is selling them.

4th and Long
10-05-2006, 06:24 PM
I agree with Bob Dole. The picture speaks volumes. Don't screw it up with a goofy catch phrase.

Phobia
10-05-2006, 06:37 PM

I like everything except the "splatter". Your splatter looks like champagne bubbles. Put some frick'n splatter in there. Jeesh.

FAX
10-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Can you make the little bird puke some, Mr. fan4ever?

FAX

ArrowheadHawk
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
:thumb:

Phobia
10-05-2006, 06:51 PM
You could caption it "Better than Anti-Freeze!"

Bob Dole
10-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I like everything except the "splatter". Your splatter looks like champagne bubbles. Put some frick'n splatter in there. Jeesh.

That's how splatter looks in a vacuum, dumbass.

Simplex3
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
"Stab them in the face"

I'd stay away from "do them in the butt", however.

BucEyedPea
10-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm tellin' PETA! But I won't rat you out on the trademark use! :evil:

Simplex3
10-05-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm tellin' PETA! But I won't rat you out on the trademark use! :evil:
Cardinals aren't Tasty.

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM

I was thinking of using text on the reverse side.

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Can you make the little bird puke some, Mr. fan4ever?

FAX

He is pooping himself . . . wanted to make it subtle . . . art, y'know?

Marcellus
10-05-2006, 08:05 PM

Or "almost as good as gatorade".

Phobia
10-05-2006, 08:12 PM
I was thinking of using text on the reverse side.

What's the point in that?

BucEyedPea
10-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Okay you're a GD and Illustrator...I take it that you did that in Adobe Illustrator? Just curious. ( If so gonna ask you a question in the tech forum)

Not tryin' to criticize but if you're a GD and Illustrator, I don't understand why you wouldn't be aware on what you can use regarding trademarks etc. Kinda goes with the profession.

cdcox
10-05-2006, 08:23 PM
The Chiefs can't own the shape of an indian relic.

You underestimate me. /Carl Perterson

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Okay you're a GD and Illustrator...I take it that you did that in Adobe Illustrator? Just curious. ( If so gonna ask you a question in the tech forum)

Not tryin' to criticize but if you're a GD and Illustrator, I don't understand why you wouldn't be aware on what you can use regarding trademarks etc. Kinda goes with the profession.

I know what the Graphics Artist Guild recommends (technically, the second you "copy" anything, it's an infringement, even without the artwork being registered so if someone is aggressive enough, they could come after you anyway) but I wanted to get feed back from ChiefsPlanet since they specifically have used the logo...did they have permission, etc. Like I said, I may be overly paranoid, an it never hurts bouncing it off of people who may have been in the same situation.

BucEyedPea
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
I know what the Graphics Artist Guild recommends (technically, the second you "copy" anything, it's an infringement, even without the artwork being registered so if someone is aggressive enough, they could come after you anyway) but I wanted to get feed back from ChiefsPlanet since they specifically have used the logo...did they have permission, etc. Like I said, I may be overly paranoid, an it never hurts bouncing it off of people who may have been in the same situation.

Oh well that's cool too. Just askin'.
It's not just a GAG recommendation though.
So did you do that in Adobe Illustrator?

BTW I like the splatter. I think it looks great.

cdcox
10-05-2006, 08:28 PM
I decided not to use team logos in my software, becuase the NFL is one of the strongest enforcers of TM rights. That, and I like to obey rules.

FAX
10-05-2006, 08:28 PM

I like the poop, Mr. fan4ever, don't get me wrong. It is suggestive of Neo-Classic realism and sponsors an internal dialogue while one considers the causal implications of cohesion and separateness as the once-held poop is now released - transforming the previously proscribed bird anus into one expressing less social conformism.

But, just a little barf would help, I think.

FAX

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh well that's cool too. Just askin'.
It's not just a GAG recommendation though.
So did you do that in Adobe Illustrator?

BTW I like the splatter. I think it looks great.

I did it in Photoshop. Drew and scanned the Image of the bird and put it on a layer 2 and choose "darken" for the layer options. Then on layer 1, the layer underneath the illustration, I added the color and such. Then flattened image once I was done. Does that help?

Perhaps you can do the same thing in Illustrator, although I do most this kind of thing in Photoshop.

greg63
10-05-2006, 08:36 PM

That is awesome!:thumb:

BucEyedPea
10-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I did it in Photoshop. Drew and scanned the Image of the bird and put it on a layer 2 and choose "darken" for the layer options. Then on layer 1, the layer underneath the illustration, I added the color and such. Then flattened image once I was done. Does that help?

Perhaps you can do the same thing in Illustrator, although I do most this kind of thing in Photoshop.
Yes you can do the same thing in Illustrator. I know either program can be used and most GDs are more highly proficient in a certain program than others. Mine happens to be Illustrator. I do use PS too, as a matter of fact, I draw in it often enough as well. I just prefer the vector controls more in Illustrator. If I need texture or refinements I then bring the vector art into PS!

greg63
10-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Hope ya don't mind, but I simply couldn't resist using it in my sig. :D

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I like the poop, Mr. fan4ever, don't get me wrong. It is suggestive of Neo-Classic realism and sponsors an internal dialogue while one considers the causal implications of cohesion and separateness as the once-held poop is now released - transforming the previously proscribed bird anus into one expressing less social conformism.

But, just a little barf would help, I think.

FAX

I considered having puke in the illustration (what self respecting artist wouldn't?) but refrained. While barf has been a classic addition to many works of art, I took the minimalist approach to this piece. I do appreciate your input and when I wear the shirt proudly on Sunday, my success can only be measured by how many "F*ck Offs" and "You're a Dick" are thrown my way. The public is always the final judge of one's work.

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Hope ya don't mind, but I simply couldn't resist using it in my sig. :D

Hey, that's copyright infringement!!!

Oh, I get it.

BucEyedPea
10-05-2006, 08:49 PM
I decided not to use team logos in my software, becuase the NFL is one of the strongest enforcers of TM rights. That, and I like to obey rules.

One of my Buc boards has that policy. It's even stated on the corps site's message board in their graphics forum. But they, the Bucs as well as the NFL, never seem to enforce it because it's done all over the internet. It also includes the photos too, if NFL owned...but someone owns them somewhere.

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Yes you can do the same thing in Illustrator. I know either program can be used and most GDs are more highly proficient in a certain program than others. Mine happens to be Illustrator. I do use PS too, as a matter of fact, I draw in it often enough as well. I just prefer the vector controls more in Illustrator. If I need texture or refinements I then bring the vector art into PS!

Yeah, I gotta get up to snuff in Illustator...taking a workshop in a couple of weeks.

BucEyedPea
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I gotta get up to snuff in Illustator...taking a workshop in a couple of weeks.
I see. So I guess you're not going to be able to answer my question you asked me about privately?

I'm assuming that's the case. Guess you can ask me questions then.

greg63
10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey, that's copyright infringement!!!

Oh, I get it.

I guess you'll just have to sue me. :p :D

fan4ever
10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
I see. So I guess you're not going to be able to answer my question you asked me about privately?

I'm assuming that's the case. Guess you can ask me questions then.

That would be the likely scenario. Sorry.

Ari Chi3fs
10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Man, kick ass work Fan4ever. You have a portfolio? Id be interested in seeing more of your work!

What have you got for Dungver?

Rain Man
10-06-2006, 04:14 PM
I considered having puke in the illustration (what self respecting artist wouldn't?) but refrained. While barf has been a classic addition to many works of art, I took the minimalist approach to this piece. I do appreciate your input and when I wear the shirt proudly on Sunday, my success can only be measured by how many "F*ck Offs" and "You're a Dick" are thrown my way. The public is always the final judge of one's work.

There's a school of thought that the Mona Lisa was originally entitled, "Barfing Mona Lisa", until the barf was painted over in the mid-17th century.