PDA

View Full Version : Work piss tests and you....

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Hi, I don't post here too often, but I have been lurking around here for quite a while. Anyway, I'm pissed. To make a long story a little shorter, I am 32 almost 33 (9 days) and I recently quit my job as an operating engineer (heavy equipment operator) to go back to school and get my teaching degree. To get my degree I had to obviously get a lower paying 3rd shift factory job. I took a paycuy of about $12.00/hr and took a job running a cnc lathe in a machine shop. Anyway, all was going fine with me as far as my job goes, I really liked the people I worked with, and they all seemed to like me. Problem is the machine I ran was a piece of shit. In order to make it run properly, I had to literally blow a fan on it to keep it running. On average I would say the machine would break down or have problems 3-4 times a week. On Tuesday morning the machine really screwed up. The grinding wheel went crashing into a part I was about to make. I left the machine exactly how it was when it crashed so the bosses could all see I didnt do anything wrong. When they all came in Tuesday morning I stood around with them trying to figure out what may have caused the crash. I stayed almost 2 extra hours with no result or answer of what may have happened. When I came back in Tuesday night I was informed that since they could not determine what caused the crash, the crash must have been my fault. Then I was forced to go take a piss test for drugs. I have never been so humiliated at work in my life....and I will not return to that place ever again. That type of humiliation is not worth 12 bucks an hour.
Has anyone ever had an experience like this? If so I would be interested to know how you reacted to having your privacy violated in such a manner, not to mention the humiliation of being led out of the factory to the hospital. I can understand companies wanting safe work environments. I believe drugs tests have a roll for employee neglagence. I even willingly took a test before I was hired, but this latest test has my blood boiling. Thoughts?

Braincase
10-06-2006, 05:53 AM
If you have nothing to worry about, take the test. There've been a lot of guys that were in car accidents that weren't their fault, but if they make 'em blow and they register, they get the blame.

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't really have a problem with the test as requirement for hiring, but when a company makes you take one because their machine is a piece of shit I think that crosses the line. I have nothing to hide, and I did take the test but I almost walked out at that moment. I took some time to cool down and think things over before making my decision not to return.

TN_Chief
10-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Did you tell your manager/boss that the machine was having problems before it blew up on you?

stumppy
10-06-2006, 06:22 AM
I don't want to get started on this but any kind of test like that is bullsh@t. IMHO
What a person does on their own time is NOBODYs business.

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Did you tell your manager/boss that the machine was having problems before it blew up on you?

Yeah, like I said the machine broke down 3-4 times a week. It had had other problem where parts were ruined but never a problem where it crashed and broke the grinding wheel like happened to me.

Simplex3
10-06-2006, 06:24 AM
So you've decided that you won't go back there because your honor was tarnished, but the machinery with flying parts isn't really an issue? :spock:

stumppy
10-06-2006, 06:26 AM
I dont blame you. First off I'd take the test. As soon as they got the results is when I'd make my move. When they come back negative is when I'd tell them how I felt about it. Take this job and shove it.

Simplex3
10-06-2006, 06:27 AM
I don't want to get started on this but any kind of test like that is bullsh@t. IMHO
...and if I like to mfg. bombs and sell them to pissed of high school kids?

When your "personal time" activities can/do affect others it's no longer personal, Clinton.

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 06:29 AM
So you've decided that you won't go back there because your honor was tarnished, but the machinery with flying parts isn't really an issue? :spock:

Ummmm, I decided not to go back because the Piece of shit machine should be this the issue; however the company would rather pay $250.00 for an emergency room visit for an obviously drug free employee when they could just pay to fix the machine correctly.

Simplex3
10-06-2006, 06:30 AM
I know the point of this thread is to bitch about your mgrs, but more than likely their insurance company demands that you take that piss test. I'll bet that it wasn't even their idea and be just as sure that they didn't have a choice.

I'd take the test, then head back to work. Every time that POS machine even hiccuped I'd file a written report. When the stack is 5ft high the boss might decide it's easier to fix the thing than deal with the paperwork.

Bill Parcells
10-06-2006, 06:30 AM
I agree with stumppy 100%

stumppy
10-06-2006, 06:32 AM
...and if I like to mfg. bombs and sell them to pissed of high school kids?

When your "personal time" activities can/do affect others it's no longer personal, Clinton.

You know wtf I meant. Apples and oranges.

Simplex3
10-06-2006, 06:34 AM
You know wtf I meant. Apples and oranges.
The hell it is. If you're getting stoned until 3am, then show up at 8am working the machine next to me still feeling the buzz you really think you're just as sharp as if you hadn't? Bullshit. You've just endangered yourself and everyone around you, increased the risk for your company and their insurance company, all of which affect other people. That makes it very much NOT a personal decision.

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 06:35 AM
I dont really care about what people do in their own time either, even though I'm not too keen on crack, coke, or mary jane. In 15 years of working I have never had to experience something like I did the other night. I wont let it happen again.

Simplex3
10-06-2006, 06:39 AM
I dont really care about what people do in their own time either, even though I'm not too keen on crack, coke, or mary jane. In 15 years of working I have never had to experience something like I did the other night. I wont let it happen again.
Like I said, I would be very, very suprised if they had a choice. I'm amazed that step one wasn't the piss test. I'd bet their insurance wouldn't be pleased about that. It may be that your boss did everything he could to keep you from having to take that test. You might start by just telling him that was really embarrassing and see how he responds.

stumppy
10-06-2006, 06:39 AM
The hell it is. If you're getting stoned until 3am, then show up at 8am working the machine next to me still feeling the buzz you really think you're just as sharp as if you hadn't? Bullshit. You've just endangered yourself and everyone around you, increased the risk for your company and their insurance company, all of which affect other people. That makes it very much NOT a personal decision.
:spock:
Like I said. WTF does that have to do with manufact. bombs and giving them to high school kids.?????

And if you are showing up to work in that condition....which could be caused by alcohol just as much as anything else, then you should be fired.
But if you smoke a joint on Friday night and go to work monday morn. , fail a suprise piss test then it's BULLSHIT.

stumppy
10-06-2006, 06:41 AM
And just so you know. I don't do drugs.

Simplex3
10-06-2006, 06:44 AM
:spock:
Like I said. WTF does that have to do with manufact. bombs and giving them to high school kids.?????

And if you are showing up to work in that condition....which could be caused by alcohol just as much as anything else, then you should be fired.
But if you smoke a joint on Friday night and go to work monday morn. , fail a suprise piss test then it's BULLSHIT.
Show me a test that will tell if you're stoned RIGHT NOW (like I can with several types of tests for drunk) and we can talk. Right now all I'm aware of are tests that tell if you've been stoned recently. We have to go with our best option here.

As for the bombs analogy, sure it's more extreme but it's dead on point. Bombs and drugs are both illegal. I'm doing it on my personal time. I'm not personally hurting anyone with them. Therefore, you should just leave me the hell alone.

Now, I think all drugs should be legal. I'm just fine with human garbage killing themselves off with cheap, easily available drugs. Those who can do them and handle it should be allowed to. HOWEVER, along with that freedom, *I*, as a business owner, should have the option of who I decide to employ. If I choose to not employ people who do drugs then what the hell business is it of yours why I made that personal decision? Or is this "personal decision" thing a one way street only protecting you?

Bill Parcells
10-06-2006, 06:46 AM
And just so you know. I don't do drugs.
Good!!!

Because,look at what happens when you do!!!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=149143

Al Bundy
10-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Like I said, I would be very, very suprised if they had a choice. I'm amazed that step one wasn't the piss test. I'd bet their insurance wouldn't be pleased about that. It may be that your boss did everything he could to keep you from having to take that test. You might start by just telling him that was really embarrassing and see how he responds.

You are correct, most places don't have a choice when it comes to it.

Halfcan
10-06-2006, 06:55 AM
You should go in and piss right on your bosses desk-say "there you go-do you smell any drugs in that you dumbsonofabitch."

On your way out piss in his car-then stop by his house and piss on his front door and in his mailbox.

stumppy
10-06-2006, 06:56 AM
As for the bombs analogy, sure it's more extreme

Like your reasoning is.
Like I said, apples and oranges.

If you, as a business owner, can't figure out if your employees can or can not do their job right, and not endanger others , without prying into their personal lives then thats just....well...you get my drift.

Oh well, this could go on for awhile. Like I said to begin with I don't want to get in to it this morn.

stumppy
10-06-2006, 06:57 AM
You should go in and piss right on your bosses desk-say "there you go-do you smell any drugs in that you dumbsonofabitch."

On your way out piss in his car-then stop by his house and piss on his front door and in his mailbox.

:LOL:

Excellent.

stumppy
10-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Good!!!

:D

I think that has more to do with being a faider fan than drugs or alcohol.

Earthling
10-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Thats one of the reasons I work for myself. No bs like this.

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 07:20 AM

LMAO Thanks, that actually made me laugh for the 1st time since this all happened :toast:

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 07:29 AM
A place I worked for several years ago had 7 of us doing installs. One day they announced we all had to drive 40 miles one way to take a piss test. The next morning 4 of them didn't show up for work. (I passed) They didn't do that shit again.

Baconeater
10-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Good!!!

Here's a better example of what happens when you do drugs:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134311

stumppy
10-06-2006, 07:32 AM
A place I worked for several years ago had 7 of us doing installs. One day they announced we all had to drive 40 miles one way to take a piss test. The next morning 4 of them didn't show up for work. (I passed) They didn't do that shit again.

:LOL:

Kinda like the last place I worked.Me and the owner were talking one day and the subject came up. He said The insurance company was trying to get him to start drug testing. He told me there was no way he would ever go that route. Said he'd probably loose half of his best people.:D

Chief Chief
10-06-2006, 07:39 AM
If I were you, I'd do the piss test, return to work, and then get the fan off the machine. Neither your supervisor nor any other manager directed you to do that. (Just think what they'd have you do if that fan malfunctioned!) Yeah, that machine will stop running and you won't have much to do but they still got to pay ya for your 'work' time. After awhile, they may actually get tired of seeing you sit around while the machine's down and they'll take some of that money they got going into that piss testing contract and use it to buy a new machine that will keep ya busy. Well, we can dream, can't we..??

NJ Chief Fan
10-06-2006, 07:40 AM
boo piss test

HOORAY MARIJUANA

Brock
10-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Don't take it so personally. Usually, for 12 bucks an hour, what you get is drunks and drug users.

Bill Parcells
10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Here's a better example of what happens when you do drugs:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134311
Heh..LOL :D

StcChief
10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Dude,
It's 2006. Now a fact of life in the work a day world.

Expect at anytime for any reason to have to take a piss test if you WORK FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

Get over yourselve, or work independently.
That is still no guarantee as a sub-contractor.

It's just business, and they don't want people that do drugs working for them, as accidents happen.

Cost of insurance they pay goes up, somebody get hurt or killed.

Have you worked the workman's comp angle of defective machine. You have to report that to the company.

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Dude,
It's 2006. Now a fact of life in the work a day world.

Expect at anytime for any reason to have to take a piss test if you WORK FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

Get over yourselve, or work independently.
That is still no guarantee as a sub-contractor.

It's just business, and they don't want people that do drugs working for them, as accidents happen.

Cost of insurance they pay goes up, somebody get hurt or killed.

Have you worked the workman's comp angle of defective machine. You have to report that to the company.

In 14 years "working for someone else" running heavy equipment, I was never led off a jobsite for a machine breaking down. As far as reporting the machine as defective, there was no need to. As I said they knew it was defective because it would have 3-4 problems every week. the company then uses the excuse "no money to fix it" but they can afford to send employees to get drug tested?!? how can I not take that personally? By sending me for a drug test they are trying to pass responsibility of the crash to me...

Warrior5
10-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Any company that has employees working in an environment with the potential for occupational hazards MUST piss-test employees, if for no other reason than insurance purposes.

My brother is an equipment operator at San Onofre power plant north of San Diego. In addition to routine piss tests, anytime there's the slightest incident involving equipment, everyone involved has to undergo a urinalysis as a normal part of the investigation.

I understand your frustration about the crappy equipment, but I can't empathize with your angst on the urinalysis. It's SOP.

Brock
10-06-2006, 08:01 AM
In 14 years "working for someone else" running heavy equipment, I was never led off a jobsite for a machine breaking down. As far as reporting the machine as defective, there was no need to. As I said they knew it was defective because it would have 3-4 problems every week. the company then uses the excuse "no money to fix it" but they can afford to send employees to get drug tested?!? how can I not take that personally? By sending me for a drug test they are trying to pass responsibility of the crash to me...

If you were operating a backhoe and cut into a gas line or something, you can bet you'd be getting drug tested, no matter if the machine malfunctioned or not. Nearly every company I've worked for in the past has post-accident drug testing as a policy. Like I said, don't take it so personally.

morphius
10-06-2006, 08:10 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of pissing on the machine next time it breaks down, but your way works as well. Of course there is something to be said about pissing in his coffee cup in front of him and telling him that he can take your sample now...

StcChief
10-06-2006, 08:11 AM

If your clean what do you have to worry about?

In the company employement procedure does it say DRUG FREE environment..... IF so your drug test failure, your fired. That goes on your record and likely can't use them as a referral.... good luck

if you think machine was at fault for the accident, CALL OSHA.

don't expect to be working there after that, they will find a way to let you go. Sounds like the company is cheap and or dirty when it comes to safety and regulations. Likely other things as well.....

Baconeater
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Heh..LOL :D
Here, the sequel is much better:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134366

Mr. Kotter
10-06-2006, 08:19 AM
What a person does on their own time is NOBODYs business.I'll play devil's advocate here: :evil:

So, do you also believe that if you take drugs or do other things to your body which lead to major health problems, and at some point you are unable to pay for medical bills and health insurance to cover the cost of treatment to keep you alive....

Is that also no one else's business or concern? And can the taxpayers and government just leave you to live in pain and die....because, well, "it's NOBODY's business?"

I'm sincerely curious about your response.... :hmmm:

stumppy
10-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I'll play devil's advocate here: :evil:

So, do you also believe that if you take drugs or do other things to your body which lead to major health problems, and at some point you are unable to pay for medical bills and health insurance to cover the cost of treatment to keep you alive....

Is that also no one else's business or concern? And can the taxpayers and government just leave you to live in pain and die....because, well, "it's NOBODY's business?"

I'm sincerely curious about your response.... :hmmm:

Everybody and their brother has been over this on the planet. Like I said I really don't want to get into all of this this morning.

However, to put the ball back in your court. One question.

Can you show me anyone who does not participate in one form or another of behaviour that could be considered risky to their health ?
Like speeding in their car, eating too much fatty red meat, playing some type of sports that could cause injury, getting no excersise at all ?

Edit : I'll have to ck back later for your response. I'm playing in a poker tourny right now.

boogblaster
10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Smoke'm if you got'm gentlemen.....

Iowanian
10-06-2006, 08:44 AM
I know its insulting for them to insinuate the possibility, but if you have nothing to worry about, all the test will do is clear your name in that regard.

If I have any kind of accident, I'm required to take a blood test, just to protect my employer from a lawsuit. Its demanded by Insurance.

Pass the test and tell them to shove the results, that it wasn't your fault.

Mr. Kotter
10-06-2006, 08:46 AM
However, to put the ball back in your court. One question.

Can you show me anyone who does not participate in one form or another of behaviour that could be considered risky to their health ?
Like speeding in their car, eating too much fatty red meat, playing some type of sports that could cause injury, getting no excersise at all ?....

Of course, everyone engages in some sort of action or makes some choices that could potentially be risky to their health. I think reasonable people can agree though that drug use is a more significant risk, statistically speaking, than playing sports or speeding. Certainly things like smoking and obesity would come closer.....to the same risk as drug use, but still considerably lower.

Now that I've answered your question, I'm still curious about your answer to mine..... :hmmm:

Iowanian
10-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't agree. If you ingest substances that affect your ability to perform a job safely, that can cause harm to yourself, a coworker or the public, it leaves the compay open for liabilty for employing someone who was gonna be careful, but then he got high.

If something in your system slows your reflexes or impairs your decision making or judgement, it IS a problem.

Mr. Kotter
10-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I know its insulting for them to insinuate the possibility, but if you have nothing to worry about, all the test will do is clear your name in that regard.

If I have any kind of accident, I'm required to take a blood test, just to protect my employer from a lawsuit.

Pass the test and tell them to shove the results, that it wasn't your fault.

I don't agree. If you ingest substances that affect your ability to perform a job safely, that can cause harm to yourself, a coworker or the public, it leaves the compay open for liabilty for employing someone who was gonna be careful, but then he got high.

If something in your system slows your reflexes or impairs your decision making or judgement, it IS a problem.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Iowanian
10-06-2006, 08:52 AM
That Whizzinator paid off in full that time, eh skip.

The next morning 4 of them didn't show up for work. (I passed) They didn't do that shit again.

Iowanian
10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
You should make sure to follow proper Lockout-taggout proceedures prior to urinating in the company fuse box.

Shocking I know.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Sounds like that was the final straw in an unhappy situation & you're ready to move on. Do it

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 09:03 AM
That Whizzinator paid off in full that time, eh skip.
Those weren't available back then. I'd just get a clean friend to piss in a balloon then shove it up into my vagina. During the test I just stuck my finger up there and punctured the balloon. Voila!! Clean urine.

Vindicator
10-06-2006, 09:32 AM

I agree with you Iowanian. It's a fact that 49% of all traffic fatalities are caused be people under the influence. That means 51% of all traffic fatalities are caused by people that are stark stareing stone cold sober. We gotta get these strait people outta work and off the road.

luv
10-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Sounds, to me, like someone wouldn't have passed the test. Employers have to legal right to drug test employees. We have random drug testing where I work. Also, anytime someone gets inhured on the job, we have the hospital do a drug test first thing whenever they get there. I have found that, for the most part, those who refuse to take a drug test aren't doing so because they feel violated. They do so because they know they won't pass it.

Maybe they didn't think it was you. Maybe they were just trying to rule out that possibility.

BIG_DADDY
10-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I have worked for 2 places that tested but they never tested me. Being the top sales guy has it's benefits. There are very few jobs where I would be understanding and go ahead and take a test. Airline pilot as an example.

BIG_DADDY
10-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Maybe they didn't think it was you. Maybe they were just trying to rule out that possibility.

They are trying to get rid of their own liability, give me a break.

KC-TBB
10-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Take the test in your bosses pocket...or tell him I will take the test if you will.

luv
10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
They are trying to get rid of their own liability, give me a break.
Then it's a good thing he left. I wouldn't want to work for a business like that.

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I have worked for 2 places that tested but they never tested me. Being the top sales guy has it's benefits. There are very few jobs where I would be understanding and go ahead and take a test. Airline pilot as an example.
Agreed.

DaFace
10-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I gotta agree with the folks saying you should swallow your pride and take the test. If you insist on quitting, at least make them waste their $250 and prove your innocence before quitting!

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Sounds, to me, like someone wouldn't have passed the test. Employers have to legal right to drug test employees. We have random drug testing where I work. Also, anytime someone gets inhured on the job, we have the hospital do a drug test first thing whenever they get there. I have found that, for the most part, those who refuse to take a drug test aren't doing so because they feel violated. They do so because they know they won't pass it.

You may be right about only dirty people resenting drug tests. But there is the little matter of the 4th amendment to consider as well. But if it is a privately owned business they have every right to demand it. Just find someplace else to work.

luv
10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
You may be right about only dirty people resenting drug tests. But there is the little matter of the 4th amendment to consider as well. But if it is a privately owned business they have every right to demand it. Just find someplace else to work.
Our business just got bought out by a larger corporation. I wonder if the randoms will cease. I've gotten tested once in 8 years. I have nothing to worry about though. They were talking about having drug testing being part of the hiring process. I don't see that happening. I'll have to find out about that though. I'm curious like that.

Bill Parcells
10-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Heh ROFL ROFL

Thank you for the Chiefsplanet history lesson!!!!!

Bill Parcells
10-06-2006, 10:06 AM

V Bulletin message..you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Bugeater again :D

Baconeater
10-06-2006, 10:15 AM
V Bulletin message..you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Bugeater again :D
Eh, don't worry about it. Glad you enjoyed it. :thumb:

TN_Chief
10-06-2006, 10:16 AM
What a person does on their own time is NOBODYs business.Unless what you're doing on your "own time" can bleed over into "work time". If I drink a 6-pack on my "own time" at 8:55am and walk into work drunk at 9:00am...then yes, I'd say my employer would have every right to be ticked.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, just that making a black/white statement about "my own time" is bullshit.

TN_Chief
10-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah, like I said the machine broke down 3-4 times a week. It had had other problem where parts were ruined but never a problem where it crashed and broke the grinding wheel like happened to me.Are you absolute sure this was even a work thing? It's entirely possible that it was an insurance requirement. I'm sure your company has that machine insured, it's expensive. If they're going to be filing a claim, it's possible the insurance co. requires the operator to be tested.

luv
10-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Are you absolute sure this was even a work thing? It's entirely possible that it was an insurance requirement. I'm sure your company has that machine insured, it's expensive. If they're going to be filing a claim, it's possible the insurance co. requires the operator to be tested.
My other question would be if he ever reported the machine breaking down all of the other times, or ever told them, before then, what he had to do in order to keep it running. I work in production. A faulty machine that requires a lot of "special attention" can slow you down a lot. I would have been letting someone know about the problem the first time it broke down. This might be a different scenario though.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Are you absolute sure this was even a work thing? It's entirely possible that it was an insurance requirement. I'm sure your company has that machine insured, it's expensive. If they're going to be filing a claim, it's possible the insurance co. requires the operator to be tested.

After putting up with "shit" for equipment that broke down 3-4 times a week. Having to put a fan on it to keep it cool, running for the 3rd shift of the day & staying over almost 2 hours after work. How the boss asked or ordered 58+90=sack to take the test may have a little something to do with it

BIG_DADDY
10-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Some of the worst jobs I have ever seen require piss tests it's ridiculous.

Rain Man
10-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I require urine tests at my company, but I just throw away the samples afterwards. It keeps 'em honest.

el borracho
10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Why in the world are you getting your teaching degree? There is no money in it. You are currently upset that you are working for only $12 per hour. Wait and see how upset you are when you are working for $14 per hour and paying off student loans.

Scaga
10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
At Cessna, they don't mess around with piss tests. They take hair samples! :eek: . (one way or another).

StcChief
10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
I require urine tests at my company, but I just throw away the samples afterwards. It keeps 'em honest.

I like the way you think....Keep the medical costs down.

The have cups know that have the test built into the lid, no post process of sending it out to a lab. You know in 5 minutes if the urine is
dirty. Cost $10/cup.

So employees know who you are on CP????

Cochise
10-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't agree at all either.

They can ask you questions and have a right to fire you if they check into your background and found out you lied. If you say you have a degree they have the right to check into you and find out if you really do. IMO, as soon as you outlaw drug tests on privacy grounds you have to outlaw background checks and everything else.

An employer has a right to know what they are getting.

Cochise
10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Why in the world are you getting your teaching degree? There is no money in it. You are currently upset that you are working for only $12 per hour. Wait and see how upset you are when you are working for $14 per hour and paying off student loans.

Ouch.

Mr. Kotter
10-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Really? :spock:

You know, I really would make a very good employee. I'm prompt, reliable, and loyal. And I would never surf the internet for porn while at work or PM or email sexual innuendos unless I was multi-tasking at the time.....are you sure you ain't got any openings? :shrug:

BIG_DADDY
10-06-2006, 11:33 AM

They can ask you questions and have a right to fire you if they check into your background and found out you lied. If you say you have a degree they have the right to check into you and find out if you really do. IMO, as soon as you outlaw drug tests on privacy grounds you have to outlaw background checks and everything else.

I got caught lying on an application before too. Once again I was the top sales person in the entire company and they asked me to not lie to them anymore. Funny how that works. Don't want to get piss tested get a good job and be great at it and you won't have anything to worry about.

Brock
10-06-2006, 11:37 AM

As a pre-employment condition and post-accident, sure. What purpose do random tests serve, other than to be nosey?

Rain Man
10-06-2006, 11:41 AM
As a pre-employment condition and post-accident, sure. What purpose do random tests serve, other than to be nosey?

Is that just for jobs where you can hurt yourself, or for other jobs, too? I'd rather not have train engineers only being tested post-accident.

By the way, didn't random testing start with train engineers? I seem to remember that from somewhere.

Brock
10-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Is that just for jobs where you can hurt yourself, or for other jobs, too? I'd rather not have train engineers only being tested post-accident.

By the way, didn't random testing start with train engineers? I seem to remember that from somewhere.

I believe it was federal employees, from air traffic controllers to paper-shufflers. I guess I don't have a problem with it in safety-sensitive areas, but it is still an invasion of individual privacy.

CosmicPal
10-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Where do you throw them?

Just curious, 'cause I don't want to be walking along the sidewalk and have some urine sample come flying out the window.

Cochise
10-06-2006, 11:47 AM

If it's in the employment agreement you sign that they can test whenever they want to or else you're fired, the 4th amendment doesn't mean sh#t. You signed a contract.

Baby Lee
10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Where do you throw them?

Just curious, 'cause I don't want to be walking along the sidewalk and have some urine sample come flying out the window.
I creates his own space-age pizz-yellow chinos through a complex marination process.

BIG_DADDY
10-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I believe it was federal employees, from air traffic controllers to paper-shufflers. I guess I don't have a problem with it in safety-sensitive areas, but it is still an invasion of individual privacy.

Me either. I would piss in a vial daily if I could be an airline pilot.

Saggysack
10-06-2006, 12:35 PM
The hell it is. If you're getting stoned until 3am, then show up at 8am working the machine next to me still feeling the buzz.

Man, that sure is some powerful marijuana.

KCFalcon59
10-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the damned thread!! After 10 years I just got the random piss test call. No worries. :thumb: Still I felt nervous even though I had no reason to be. I don't have a clue why it bothers me. It just does. Here's to another 10 years till the next one.

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 12:49 PM

I just got vested in for my 10yr pension through the operators union. decided I dont want to do it for the rest of my life. I asked myself, "If I had a million dollars what would I do?" thus I am where I am. :thumb:

Flustrated
10-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I gotta agree with the folks saying you should swallow your pride and take the test. If you insist on quitting, at least make them waste their $250 and prove your innocence before quitting!

I did the test, almost didn't do it. but I wanted to cool off b4 I walked so I could think it over rationally.

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 09:45 PM
If it's in the employment agreement you sign that they can test whenever they want to or else you're fired, the 4th amendment doesn't mean sh#t. You signed a contract.
I don't know about that. Is an individual company at liberty to violate the law of the land by putting that in the contract? If you were the HR guy for that firm I doubt they would put a clause in your contract saying you were not allowed to hire blacks.

ChiTown
10-06-2006, 10:01 PM
http://netfoo.net/~dunderwood/reb.gif

BigRedChief
10-06-2006, 10:10 PM
a piss test? Dude I worked for the department of homeland security. The FBI was asking my neighbors about me. I elected to go to work there. I knew the rules and had to forfeit some basic freedoms. You knew when you accepted the job that they could test you anytime correct? If not they are wrong. If you knew, you can't complain.

Drug tests are a staple in the business community. It makes their insurance a lot cheaper and saves on lawsuits.

Frazod
10-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I was in the service - I took plenty of piss tests. If you're not getting high, it's no big deal. Seems like you have a bigger issue than pissing in a cup, though.

Don't do anything rash, but it sounds like your job sucks and your employers are looking to pin their problems on you. I understand you're pissed, but line up a new gig before telling them to pound sand.

Pride doesn't pay the bills.

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Drug tests are a staple in the business community. It makes their insurance a lot cheaper and saves on lawsuits.
I agree with this. Those are the only two reasons I would accept for drug testing. But that is f*cked up. Are we going to just use the parts of the constitution that the insurance companies approve of? Since unreasonable search (drug tests) is prohibited how can they invade your privacy like that. Shouldn't they need probable cause to test you? The cops do.

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 11:33 PM
I creates his own space-age pizz-yellow chinos through a complex marination process.
Hey, you are just the guy I am looking for. Would you please read my posts on this subject and correct me where I am wrong? There are only two or three of them.. Price is no object. Just send the bill to Frazod. Thanks, Skip

Rausch
10-07-2006, 12:18 AM
My entire life people have assumed I was a drug addict.

The shock and insult wore off long ago...

BigRedChief
10-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Since unreasonable search (drug tests) is prohibited how can they invade your privacy like that. Shouldn't they need probable cause to test you? The cops do.

Because you agree to waive your rights if you want to work there.

Fairplay
10-07-2006, 03:22 AM
My entire life people have assumed I was a drug addict.

The shock and insult wore off long ago...

I said i thought you were a dealer not an addict. There you should walk proudly now.

Smed1065
10-07-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi, I don't post here too often, but I have been lurking around here for quite a while. Anyway, I'm pissed. To make a long story a little shorter, I am 32 almost 33 (9 days) and I recently quit my job as an operating engineer (heavy equipment operator) to go back to school and get my teaching degree. To get my degree I had to obviously get a lower paying 3rd shift factory job. I took a paycuy of about $12.00/hr and took a job running a cnc lathe in a machine shop. Anyway, all was going fine with me as far as my job goes, I really liked the people I worked with, and they all seemed to like me. Problem is the machine I ran was a piece of shit. In order to make it run properly, I had to literally blow a fan on it to keep it running. On average I would say the machine would break down or have problems 3-4 times a week. On Tuesday morning the machine really screwed up. The grinding wheel went crashing into a part I was about to make. I left the machine exactly how it was when it crashed so the bosses could all see I didnt do anything wrong. When they all came in Tuesday morning I stood around with them trying to figure out what may have caused the crash. I stayed almost 2 extra hours with no result or answer of what may have happened. When I came back in Tuesday night I was informed that since they could not determine what caused the crash, the crash must have been my fault. Then I was forced to go take a piss test for drugs. I have never been so humiliated at work in my life....and I will not return to that place ever again. That type of humiliation is not worth 12 bucks an hour.
Has anyone ever had an experience like this? If so I would be interested to know how you reacted to having your privacy violated in such a manner, not to mention the humiliation of being led out of the factory to the hospital. I can understand companies wanting safe work environments. I believe drugs tests have a roll for employee neglagence. I even willingly took a test before I was hired, but this latest test has my blood boiling. Thoughts?

Sorry but if they pay $12.00 an hour for a machinist and bitch, They are sorry because I get paid $26 an hour as one and they never complain. I am a rookie there for 6 months............

Cntrygal
10-07-2006, 05:20 PM
We get notified of drug tests several different ways - here's a few.

1 - The command section (names sent down "randomly from Hospital) calls the shop and whoever answers the phone takes the message - "Sgt Cntrygal needs to report to the Command Section immediately" (you have to pick up paperwork before going to the hospital). EVERYONE knows that means "piss test". So of course, if you're out on a job - your co-worker writes on the board "Sgt Cntrygal, go to CCS, piss test". If you're lucky your co-worker doesn't get ahold of you via radio where EVERYONE on the net hears the transmission.

2 - The Wing does random picks. You're selected as you drive thru the main gate and told to go immediately to the hospital.

3 - "Command Directed".

Now keep in mind "normal times" to get tagged are before & after deployments, after extended leaves, major holidays. After 18 years, getting tagged for a piss test is no big deal.