PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs back off on extra fee for season-ticket holders

Fire Me Boy!
10-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Chiefs back off on extra fee for season-ticket holders

http://www.kshb.com/kshb/nw_local_news/article/0,1925,KSHB_9424_5047417,00.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) The Kansas City Chiefs and Jackson County legislators are back in the huddle after a proposed $131 season-ticket fee to help pay for Arrowhead Stadium outraged fans and voters.

Earlier this week, county officials acknowledged that the NFL this summer had balked on a provision in the Chiefs' new lease with the county to pay for ongoing maintenance with a $1-per-ticket surcharge.

Instead, the team proposed sticking the bill to season-ticket holders, who would pay the $131 charge over three years. Critics of the plan said that wasn't the deal offered to voters in April when they approved a 3/8-cent sales tax to renovate Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums.

"The more I thought about this, I got madder and madder," said Legislator Bob Spence on Thursday, saying he had originally supported the fee. "We haven't kept faith with the voters."

Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt couldn't be reached for comment, but Jackson County Prosecutor Mike Sanders, who is running for county executive, said he had spoken with Hunt and felt an agreement could be reached.

"What was clear to me was Clark Hunt is in search of a solution that works for everyone and is fair to everyone," Sanders said.

County officials said they didn't have any set details, but that the expense could be added to parking or concession fees.

Legislature Chairman Henry Rizzo said he told Hunt that while the county was open to changing the team's lease for publicly owned Arrowhead, county residents should receive some additional benefits, such as cheaper tickets, parking or concession.

The NFL reportedly rejected the $1-per-ticket surcharge because it determined that money had to be split with the other NFL teams under the league's revenue-sharing agreements.

But legal experts said voters could have challenged the season-ticket fee because that wasn't part of the leases they approved in April.

A majority of the legislators said they were ready to vote against the proposed fee and were angry that the county government didn't get a written approval for the lease from the NFL before the April referendum, instead relying on a verbal OK from the Chiefs.

"As far as I'm concerned, we had an agreement, and I don't think we need to go back on that a deal is a deal," said Legislator Rhonda Shoemaker. "If the tables were turned, I am quite sure the Chiefs would hold us to the contract that the voters voted on."

Halfcan
10-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Mike Sanders is a dumbf#ck.

hawkchief
10-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Carl & Lamar will get it from parking or concessions. "Real" fans will still pay.

StcChief
10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
I like the idea of parking and concession alot better...

Fish
10-06-2006, 07:51 AM
I like the idea of parking and concession alot better...

How is this better? You're still going to be paying more for the experience. You could avoid buying concessions, but that rarely happens once you're at the game.

I don't think $28 parking and $10 beers are any better, you just don't have to pay the extra till you get to the stadium.

This still sucks.....

hawkchief
10-06-2006, 07:59 AM
How is this better? You're still going to be paying more for the experience. You could avoid buying concessions, but that rarely happens once you're at the game.

I don't think $28 parking and $10 beers are any better, you just don't have to pay the extra till you get to the stadium.

This still sucks.....

Of course it sucks, but the Chiefs will raise parking to $80 if they can. It is all about $$$$$$, and winning is a distant 2nd.

It is kind of funny how the article tries to make the Chiefs seem understanding of how the fans might feel, then in the next paragraph they essentially say "we'll get 'em in the parking lot and at the concession stands. Welcome to the Barnum & Bailey circus. folks - Step right up!

Kerberos
10-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Of course it sucks, but the Chiefs will raise parking to $80 if they can. It is all about $$$$$$, and winning is a distant 2nd.

It is kind of funny how the article tries to make the Chiefs seem understanding of how the fans might feel, then in the next paragraph they essentially say "we'll get 'em in the parking lot and at the concession stands. Welcome to the Peterson and Hunt circus. folks - Step right up!

There I fixed your last sentence for ya!

:D

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 08:36 AM

It is kind of funny how the article tries to make the Chiefs seem understanding of how the fans might feel, then in the next paragraph they essentially say "we'll get 'em in the parking lot and at the concession stands. Welcome to the Barnum & Bailey circus. folks - Step right up!
There is no doubt that keeping Arrowhead full is objective #1. But winning is necessary to achieve that goal. Peterson understands that. Schaaf and Steadman did not. I'm guessing that is why we have fielded mediocre teams since Marty left. Marty could make do with what he had better than most coaches but he still couldn't get us over the hump.

Baconeater
10-06-2006, 09:00 AM
I can't believe not less that 6 months after voters approved the sales tax increase they're already trying to squeeze people for more money. Christ, how much more do they need? They haven't even started the work on the stadium yet for god's sake.

hawkchief
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I can't believe not less that 6 months after voters approved the sales tax increase they're already trying to squeeze people for more money. Christ, how much more do they need? They haven't even started the work on the stadium yet for god's sake.

Just wait until the brand spanking new Sprint Center sits empty for a couple of years, save a few concerts and circi (plural for circus?) That'll be lots of financial fun. Supposedly the developer will cover shortfalls - we'll see. Don't seem to see an anchor sports-team tenant out there by next winter, does anyone else?

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Just wait until the brand spanking new Sprint Center sits empty for a couple of years, save a few concerts and circi (plural for circus?) That'll be lots of financial fun. Supposedly the developer will cover shortfalls - we'll see. Don't seem to see an anchor sports-team tenant out there by next winter, does anyone else?
Indoor NASCAR?

ChiefsCountry
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
hawkchief is stupid and does not know anything about the business of professional sports. Chiefs are probally one of the cheapest NFL teams out there in terms of tickets, parking, etc.

ChiefsCountry
10-06-2006, 09:26 AM

They hired the #1 management team out there in AEG who has a big committment to the arena, they will get a team in the Sprint Center.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2006, 09:40 AM
hawkchief is stupid and does not know anything about the business of professional sports. Chiefs are probally one of the cheapest NFL teams out there in terms of tickets, parking, etc.
i seriously doubt it ...

i imagine that the chiefs are top 10 highest IF you take into account cost of living for the area.

KC - NY
$1 - $2.25-ish

Skip Towne
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
i seriously doubt it ...

i imagine that the chiefs are top 10 highest IF you take into account cost of living for the area.

KC - NY
$1 - $2.25-ish
In the past, even the Royals players bitched about the cost of food while they were in New York. So there must be a big difference in cost of living.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2006, 09:59 AM
In the past, even the Royals players bitched about the cost of food while they were in New York. So there must be a big difference in cost of living.

Cost of Living

Salary in Kansas City MO-KS: $50,000
Comparable salary in New York (Manhattan) NY: $109,782.27

If you move from Kansas City MO-KS to New York (Manhattan) NY...

Groceries will cost: 46.326% more
Housing will cost: 341.101% more
Utilities will cost: 59.48% more
Transportation will cost: 13.956% more
Healthcare will cost: 42.366% more

Percent Change in $ +103.2% +18.6%

Results for your new location: $ -42,292 net change in disposable income

Explanation: The cost of living in New York, NY is 103.2% higher than in Kansas City, MO. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $101,591 to maintain your current standard of living. Employers in New York, NY typically pay 18.6% more than employers in Kansas City, MO. Therefore, if you take the same type of job in the same type of company in New York, NY you are likely to earn $59,298.

Baconeater
10-06-2006, 10:06 AM
People were saying the same thing about the Qwest Center here when it was being built and it's doing fine. If anything, KC will be thieving events from us. :#

hawkchief
10-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Why don't you check out www.teammarketing.com before you start calling people "stupid", stupid. You will see, as many of us already knew, that Carl and Lamar routinely have us in the top 10 in the NFL in pricing for tickets and parking. (At least the Chiefs are leaders in something!) Keeping a GM around that gouges the teams' fan base without providing a winner has gotten old to many of us.

Next time try operating from a factual standpoint before calling names, and by the way, enjoy the $30 parking and $12 beers at Arrowhead next season so Carl and Lamar can continue to make their milliions.

It's really nice of them to simply raise concessions and parking further through the roof, instead of using the PSL's to get what said they WOULDN'T need from the fans, when the Chiefs pleaded for their votes, isn't it?

hawkchief
10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
People were saying the same thing about the Qwest Center here when it was being built and it's doing fine. If anything, KC will be thieving events from us. :#

I suspect we will be getting events from you in Omaha, i.e. concerts etc, but the developers didn't build the Sprint Center to be a concert hall. They need a major league hockey or basketball team to make it work, and hopefully they can get one sooner than later. Doesn't look so good right now.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
btw - the chiefs like to increase the cost of parking because that isn't included in profit sharing(or at least not as much)

so higher parking means higher team profits.

shaneo69
10-06-2006, 12:40 PM

Hey, try spending at least $600 on season tickets for a couple years, then let me see you come back here and defend Peterson/Hunt.

It's easy to defend them when you have no money invested in the team.

hawkchief
10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey, try spending at least $600 on season tickets for a couple years, then let me see you come back here and defend Peterson/Hunt.

It's easy to defend them when you have no money invested in the team.

The Club Level folks are spending almost a grand a seat inlcuding parking pass. That's before coming into the stadium and getting raped at the concession stands.

gblowfish
10-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Carl fears me. He said on the radio he has "nothing to do with any of this" but...
he fears me.