PDA

View Full Version : Firefox shuts down

chagrin
10-06-2006, 08:50 AM
"An unexpected error has occured and firefox is shutting down"

All day friggin long. I don't even use it anymore. I have unisntalled, reinstalled - same shit. I can't go to myspace, or most websites with alot of ad content, which is everything these days.

any ideas or thoughts on why this happens?

Lzen
10-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Hmmm that's weird. When you uninstalled and then reinstalled, did you reinstall using the same file you had on your HD? If so, perhaps you could download it again from the Mozilla website and try to reinstall. Perhaps your first Firefox install was corrupted.

chagrin
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Hmmm that's weird. When you uninstalled and then reinstalled, did you reinstall using the same file you had on your HD? If so, perhaps you could download it again from the Mozilla website and try to reinstall. Perhaps your first Firefox install was corrupted.

I thought I "completely" uninstalled it, and reinstalled it from the mozilla site. Funny thing though, when I downloaded and reinstalled, it didn't ask me to add bookmarks from windows, it just added them - so maybe I did not completely uninstall?

Step by step then, how do I make sure I completely get rid of it, last time, I deleted it and "add/removed" it from the system in control panel. What did I miss?

morphius
10-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Are all of your plugins getting deleted when you reinstall? Have to wonder if that is causing you an issue.

chagrin
10-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Are all of your plugins getting deleted when you reinstall? Have to wonder if that is causing you an issue.

sorry but I don't know - how to tell?

Fish
10-06-2006, 09:27 AM
It may be saving your firefox profile on uninstall, which is where the errors are coming from. This could explain why your bookmarks and shit are still there.

You can try and reset or delete your profile. Instructions can be found HERE (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager).

I had some major firefox problems a while back and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help. After I deleted and recreated the profile, it was all good.

chagrin
10-06-2006, 09:32 AM
It may be saving your firefox profile on uninstall, which is where the errors are coming from. This could explain why your bookmarks and shit are still there.

You can try and reset or delete your profile. Instructions can be found HERE (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager).

I had some major firefox problems a while back and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help. After I deleted and recreated the profile, it was all good.

Okay, now I think I am out of my league - I am new to firefox and I read over those instructions, but honestly - it lost me. Too much stopping in a sentence and referring to other parts, etc. it seems complicated.

I usually can find my way around a computer, I know "what goes where, and why" and I can set jumpers, install remove hardware, etc, but my programming and software knowledge is limited.

How dangerous is resetting my profile, will it screw up my windows settings?

Fish
10-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Okay, now I think I am out of my league - I am new to firefox and I read over those instructions, but honestly - it lost me. Too much stopping in a sentence and referring to other parts, etc. it seems complicated.

I usually can find my way around a computer, I know "what goes where, and why" and I can set jumpers, install remove hardware, etc, but my programming and software knowledge is limited.

How dangerous is resetting my profile, will it screw up my windows settings?

OK.... another hopefully easier option.. try this...

Important! If you want to save your firefox bookmarks, make a copy of this file before you do anything: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html

Uninstall firefox.

Then navigate here: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults

And delete everything in that folder. This will delete your profile and all settings for firefox only. It won't change any windows settings at all.

Now reinstall and see if everything is cherry....

Afterwards, you can put the bookmarks file back in the same place and your bookmarks will show up again.

SLAG
10-06-2006, 10:03 AM
try turning off any extensions..

chagrin
10-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Okay, I think I can manage that, just for clarification though - can I just move this folder to my desktop and then place it back in afterwards?

Thank you very much for the specific language, I appreciate it!

DaFace
10-06-2006, 10:39 AM
try turning off any extensions..

Yep. I would try that. Go to "Tools" then down to "Extensions." Write down any of them that are in there so that you can redownload them, then uninstall them all.

Fish
10-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Okay, I think I can manage that, just for clarification though - can I just move this folder to my desktop and then place it back in afterwards?

Thank you very much for the specific language, I appreciate it!

You can, but I really suspect that this is where the problem is. You can copy that folder to the desktop first and then delete the original copy in the Program Files folder, but if it works after the clean reinstall, then I wouldn't copy that folder back or else the problem will come back as well.

The point of this is to see if firefox works correctly without the present defaults folder in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder.

chagrin
10-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Okay guys, I went here: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults

and deleted the contents, then uninstalled, reinstalled - same thing. I can't even open it without it shutting down. I downloaded it again, same shit, I'm stumped

DaFace
10-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Okay guys, I went here: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults

and deleted the contents, then uninstalled, reinstalled - same thing. I can't even open it without it shutting down. I downloaded it again, same shit, I'm stumped

Well, since you've already backed up your "defaults" folder anyway, you could try deleting the ENTIRE FireFox folder from Program Files I guess (then reinstall). If THAT doesn't solve it, you've got some crazy registry problem going on.

klg61
10-07-2006, 02:53 AM
"An unexpected error has occured and firefox is shutting down"

All day friggin long. I don't even use it anymore. I have unisntalled, reinstalled - same shit. I can't go to myspace, or most websites with alot of ad content, which is everything these days.

any ideas or thoughts on why this happens?

this has never happened to me...yet...

Demonpenz
10-07-2006, 03:07 AM
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

have you tried firefox?