PDA

View Full Version : Really Good CPU deal

Mr. Laz
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego 2.6Ghz (Socket 939)

$139

You have to enter promo code "AMDROCKS" to get the $50 discount. It's regularly $189.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103526

credit to "soybeanslave"
=======================

the FX-55 is a great proc ..... very good overclocking. Most people can get it to 3.0 Ghz with no special cooling.

Bill Parcells
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
English Laz..

WTF is that???

HC_Chief
10-06-2006, 01:48 PM
An AMD computer processor. Fast one. Good price.

For those with the ability to build or upgrade their own systems.

Bill Parcells
10-06-2006, 01:49 PM
An AMD computer processor. Fast one. Good price.

For those with the ability to build or upgrade their own systems.
Gotchya!!!

Thank you!!!

Psyko Tek
10-06-2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=intel+805&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

picked this one up a month ago, you are gonna need a real good heat shink but it can be overclocked to 3.6 if you tweak the voltages,
I am running 3.0gig with no problems, the heat sink will cost about $50

stanleychief
10-06-2006, 02:17 PM
That's a great price for a single core processor. Another nice thing about the FX series is that they are not multiplier locked. For those of you interested in overclocking, that means you can crank up the speed without overclocking the FSB.

For $180 you could get a Core 2 Duo 6300 which would pretty much kill every CPU out there except for higher end Core 2 Duo's of course. Those CPUs are also VERY overclockable and are putting themseleves in the same ballpark as the $900 EX6800 chip when overclocked right.

pr_capone
10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=intel+805&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

picked this one up a month ago, you are gonna need a real good heat shink but it can be overclocked to 3.6 if you tweak the voltages,
I am running 3.0gig with no problems, the heat sink will cost about $50

I have that proc and running a stable 3.6 :D

Psyko Tek
10-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I have that proc and running a stable 3.6 :D

did you have to bump the voltages?
I tried and got blue screen without playing with the voltages

Tribesman
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
What are some of the latest real world applications or games that would take full advantage of this amount of processing power? I thought that the current hardware technology finally caught up and exceeded with what's required in today's software, no?

Psyko Tek
10-06-2006, 07:00 PM
What are some of the latest real world applications or games that would take full advantage of this amount of processing power? I thought that the current hardware technology finally caught up and exceeded with what's required in today's software, no?

seems to me it always had my "choke" point is my video card
I just can't make meself spend $300 to get the best and brightest
cpu should be good for 3 or 4 years

ArrowheadHawk
10-06-2006, 07:04 PM
get amd if you want they used to be better for gaming and price but that is no longer the case Intel has closed the gap fast. I used to be an AMD guy myself but now i
won't buy anything except an Intel chip.

if you ever have to warranty a processor Intel will get you a replacement the next day, amd will take weeks

Tribesman
10-06-2006, 10:00 PM
seems to me it always had my "choke" point is my video card
I just can't make meself spend $300 to get the best and brightest
cpu should be good for 3 or 4 years
True. The hardcore PC gamer still has to pay those amounts (and higher) for the latest and greatest VC. I usually wait for those prices to come down until they become a middle-of-the-road VC.

Some other potential bottlenecks are the bus speed and the hard drive data transfer speed rates. As with processors, they keep raising the standard with the speed of these 2. I believe somewhere in the near future the hard disk will eventually be replaced by dedicated flash drives. Just my 2 cents.

Psyko Tek
10-06-2006, 11:33 PM
had to get a massive, asd I mean big ass heat sink to get the cpu to run
but after that,
she's beeen good,

Mr. Laz
10-07-2006, 10:20 AM
True. The hardcore PC gamer still has to pay those amounts (and higher) for the latest and greatest VC. I usually wait for those prices to come down until they become a middle-of-the-road VC.

Some other potential bottlenecks are the bus speed and the hard drive data transfer speed rates. As with processors, they keep raising the standard with the speed of these 2. I believe somewhere in the near future the hard disk will eventually be replaced by dedicated flash drives. Just my 2 cents.

that's why i've got a SLI setup now

you can get two middle of the road graphics cards for cheaper than a top of the line on.

alot of the new games are supporting SLI now

Mr. Laz
10-07-2006, 10:21 AM
nah.... there are games now that choke the crap out of most video cards and CPU's .... even good ones.

so of these games with big battles are really massive power munchers.

stanleychief
10-07-2006, 11:40 AM

I recompress DVD video from 9GB to 2GB and store them on a network hard drive. In order to 'transcode' these videos fast, you need a pretty beefy processor. Using Nero 7 with my old AMD x2 3800 took around 1.5 hours or so. With the new Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, the same task is done in 25 minutes.

Other applications where CPU is important would be Photo/Video/Audio editing, application development (compiling), spreadsheets, and just the overall speed of Windows applications. Pretty much everything uses CPU power, some applications are impacted by it more though.

Tribesman
10-07-2006, 12:55 PM
that's why i've got a SLI setup not

you can get two middle of the road graphics cards for cheaper than a top of the line on.

alot of the new games are supporting SLI now
Wow! What a sweep setup. I'd never heard of SLI. Pretty cool stuff. I have an nVidia 6600 GT (AGP) currently so I wouldn't be able to just buy another one of these (damnit!) and use with a different mobo. Is this something that can be switched off on the fly in order to support the older games?

An interesting article I ran across on SLI:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/sli/index.x?pg=1

Mr. Laz
10-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Wow! What a sweep setup. I'd never heard of SLI. Pretty cool stuff. I have an nVidia 6600 GT (AGP) currently so I wouldn't be able to just buy another one of these (damnit!) and use with a different mobo. Is this something that can be switched off on the fly in order to support the older games?

An interesting article I ran across on SLI:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/sli/index.x?pg=1
it can be turned off pretty easily ... just like changing resolution.

but 99% of the time you don't need to because old games just run off of 1 card automatically

the only time you would need to turn it off is if you had a game trying to use sli but the drivers didn't work for it correctly.

i'm using a dual 6600gt PCI-Express SLI setup right now ...... i can run any game out there with most the goodies turned on(as long as it supports SLI)