PDA

View Full Version : Torrent downloading............

theultimatekcchiefsfan
10-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Do you consider the downloading of copyrighted material such as games, movies and music to be illegal or immoral or even just stealing. I see all the stuff that is available out there for the taking and I really wonder if there is any way that these things will ever be stopped. I really don't see prosecution as much of a deterrent to most people. I dont thik most even consider this stealing. :spock:

JBucc
10-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah it's immoral and is basically stealing. Doesn't stop me though.

elvomito
i have no problem with it whatsoever.
if the product was great in the first place, they would still make their money.
this will never stop.
as with drugs and alcohol, prohibition just makes the problem worse. the best attack they have is to provide it and regulate it(itunes, etc).

JBucc
BTW, I just downloaded and am using Opera for no apparent reason and it rocks. I like it better than Firefox.

Guru
10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
As long as you are not charging others to watch it and making no monetary gain off of it, I don't feel it is any different than loaning a video tape to your neighbor.

I think it is OK to download TV shows but not movies. You have to pay to go see a movie, rent a movie, buy a movie DVD or tape. Network TV is free over the air therefore I see no problem with it.

Is it illegal though? Unfortunately yes it is.

SLAG
10-06-2006, 11:12 PM
As long as you are not charging others to watch it and making no monetary gain off of it, I don't feel it is any different than loaning a video tape to your neighbor.

I think it is OK to download TV shows but not movies. You have to pay to go see a movie, rent a movie, buy a movie DVD or tape. Network TV is free over the air therefore I see no problem with it.

I would agree with you.. but... if i bought the $8 Ticket at the movies to see the movie they should mail me a DVD and email me a link to Download it as well for my $8- That is when i bought the rights to view it

Guru
10-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I would agree with you.. but... if i bought the $8 Ticket at the movies to see the movie they should mail me a DVD and email me a link to Download it as well for my $8- That is when i bought the rights to view it

Actually, you purchased the right to watch it one time and one time only. Sorry. good idea though.

Fish
10-07-2006, 08:58 AM

Go tell this to a television executive and I bet you get laughed right out of their office. You can get a few stations with nothing but a TV antennae, but that does not mean it's free and nobody is paying for it. PBS, yeah they are a non-profit org. But you better believe Fox is out to make a profit. And a for-profit company is the furthest thing from free. Fox owns their television content under the same laws that say New Line owns their movies. I think your idea is also flawed.

DaFace
10-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I think it's a form of stealing, but there are often benefits to the "owners" when it comes to downloading torrents, where stealing a CD from a car can NEVER benefit the owner.

For example, I have trouble getting into TV shows due to the long delays between new episodes. There have been a number of shows that I had never really watched (such as That 70s Show and Scrubs) before I downloaded the entire show. After that, though, I was addicted and watched them on "live" TV religiously each week. They gained me as a viewer through my illegal downloading of their previous shows.

The same can be said of purchasing a movie that you downloaded because you want higher quality and special features, or buying an album because you downloaded a song from it that you really like.

Whether that type of benefit outweighs the costs is another question, though...

Guru
10-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Go tell this to a television executive and I bet you get laughed right out of their office. You can get a few stations with nothing but a TV antennae, but that does not mean it's free and nobody is paying for it. PBS, yeah they are a non-profit org. But you better believe Fox is out to make a profit. And a for-profit company is the furthest thing from free. Fox owns their television content under the same laws that say New Line owns their movies. I think your idea is also flawed.

Evidentally you only read my "opinion" and not my fact. My fact was, yes, it is illegal.

And no, I don't give a crap about your opinion either. Or the TV execs for that matter. They can take a VCR tape and shove it up their a$$.

ChiefsLV
10-07-2006, 01:14 PM

This is the same attitude I have towards downloading TV shows. If it was free at one time, what's the harm in me downloading the episode of E.R. that I missed the week before?