PDA

View Full Version : Q & A with "DRIVING" DAMON HUARD

SLAG
10-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Q: Are you feeling more and more comfortable each week?

HUARD: “Yeah, this is part of the game and part of the deal and it’s nice to get a win. That’s for sure. Certainly you get some confidence and it makes practicing during the week a lot easier and it makes you hungrier to get out on the field and compete again.”

Q: Does winning by a large margin as you did last week add to the confidence factor?

HUARD: “It was just a complete game and very rarely do you blow a team out in this league. It seems like most of the games come down to the fourth quarter and are nail-biters. It’s nice to get a win like that, especially after two tough losses. We know we can play and hopefully we’ll grow from that experience and carry it on the rest of the way.”

Q: What kind of problems does Arizona present?

HUARD: “They’re very athletic with a lot of great team speed on defense. They have great rush ends, some really big safeties and good aggressive corners. So it’s going to be a real challenge. Plus, they’re going to be playing at home with their first-round draft pick quarterback coming out for the first time. They’re going to have a lot to play for and it’s going to be a tough challenge for us.”

Q: Are you getting tired of the questions about feeling comfortable and getting to open up the offense?

HUARD: “It’s football and I’ve been doing this for 10 years now and I really try not to approach things too differently. You come to work, you prepare to play, you prepare to win and you always try to give yourself the best chance to win on Sunday. All battles are won before they are fought. That’s why you come and put it in on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and hopefully you’ve got it down enough to where you give yourself and chance to win on Sunday.”

Q: Can you talk about how much emotion you showed after throwing those two touchdown passes last weekend?

HUARD: “I suppose that saying, ‘Act like you’ve been there before,’ I should have done some of that. But it had been awhile and especially after the long bye week and those two weeks. That first drive and that first touchdown were just exciting. I do get emotional sometimes and it’s fun when it’s good emotion. That’s what it was last Sunday.”

Q: Could you get used to being the starter?

HUARD: “Nothing’s really changed. Certainly everybody wants to play in this league. You never know when that opportunity is going to come. I had a taste of that earlier in my career and then it had been awhile. So it is that thrill and that victory that drives you and keeps you going. It’s tough in this league because you’re not going to win them all and there are going to be setbacks. The most important thing and the best quarterbacks are those that stay consistent through it all and come to play every Sunday. When you win those games it’s a great feeling and that’s why you play the game.”

Q: University of Phoenix Stadium is supposed to be a loud stadium to play in, have you prepared for that as an offense?

HUARD: “You always prepare on the road for crowd noise and different things. We know it’s going to be a challenge, especially with Matt Leinart starting. The crowd noise on the road is always a part of your preparation.”

Q: How did T Jordan Black play last Sunday against the 49ers?

HUARD: “Awesome. He did a great job. I had all day to throw when I did and we had great balance both running and passing the football. He did an awesome job.”

Q: Black was criticized a lot last year, can you see that he’s improved?

HUARD: “Jordan just comes to work everyday. He’s a smart football player and he’s just doing a great job. We just have to keep it rolling with him.”

Q: Are you a little concerned about all the injuries on the offensive line?

HUARD: “Not at all. When someone gets hurt, someone else just has to step in. We have a lot of depth and a lot of veteran guys that can play multiple positions. I think we’ll be fine.”

Q: What do you remember about your first start?

HUARD: “You’re always a little bit nervous, but you’re also excited. At the end of the day you need to just remember to go out there and play football. It’s the same game you’ve been playing since you were a kid or in high school. And you’ve got guys around you and you don’t have to do it yourself. That’s the thing with me here. I’ve got so many great players around me it’s just a matter of getting the ball into their hands and letting them make plays.”

Q: Does the first NFL start of Matt Leinart allow you to kind of fly under the radar a bit?

HUARD: “I really haven’t thought too much about that. I just know that if anyone can handle their first start, it’s Matt Leinart, a guy who has played in National Championship games, Orange Bowls and Rose Bowls. He’s been in the spotlight and won the Heisman Trophy. He’s been through it all. So I’m sure he’ll be up to the challenge.”

Q: Having succeeding and receiving all of this praise lately, what will it be like to return to a backup role when Trent Green is healthy?

HUARD: “I just take it one day at a time, one game at a time, one week at a time. My job on this team is to be the back-up quarterback. But right now I’m the starter and I can’t worry about the future and what happens. Let’s just go play football this Sunday.”

Q: Do you feel like you are proving that you could be a full-time starter in the NFL?

HUARD: “You always believe in yourself and you want to play. But you have to understand your role and importance of it. When you get an opportunity to play you just have to make the most of it.”

He has grown on me

he has a good attitude

ArrowheadHawk
10-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Q: Does winning by a large margin as you did last week add to the confidence factor?

Duh?

rad
10-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Q: What do you remember about your first start?

HUARD: “You’re always a little bit nervous, but you’re also excited. At the end of the day you need to just remember to go out there and play football. It’s the same game you’ve been playing since you were a kid or in high school. And you’ve got guys around you and you don’t have to do it yourself. That’s the thing with me here. I’ve got so many great players around me it’s just a matter of getting the ball into their hands and letting them make plays.”

There's that Herminym I love so much......

Count Zarth
10-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Gotta love Huard. He's a gamer.