PDA

View Full Version : ALL BUT OFFICIAL: VERMEIL IS IN

NFLMarty
01-04-2001, 01:21 PM
Vermeil will be named head coach either later today or tomorrow morning. More details to come as I get them

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2001, 04:15 PM
Marty, any information on the compensation?

morphius
01-04-2001, 04:27 PM
I'm starting to get excited about next season, and I know I should not get my hopes up yet because it could be a first year rebuilding process with everyone trying to learn the new play books, but this is getting my adrenaline pumping.

Morphius
damning the fact that this season is not even over yet.

gh4chiefs
01-04-2001, 08:08 PM
I doubted you once before Marty and you turned out to be right on that piece of info. But I'm afraid you may be a little ahead of yourself on this one. All news reports I'm seeing right now say this deal has been blocked by the Rams. Check out KMBC's website at kansascitychannel.com for details. I've also read seperate AP reports confirming this and stating this could take awhile for the NFL to rule.

------------------
Gary

G_Man
01-04-2001, 08:26 PM
Needless to say, the Rams are upset that there is a perception being circulated that Vermeil was pushed out and Peterson's filing to the league office today bullet points several clauses in Vermeilís contract that make compensation to the Rams unnecessary. The Rams of course think Peterson is crazy and have vowed to fight this to the end.
http://www.nflscoop.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?page=newsbody.html&id=20010105005018504330000000&teamid=&linktype= <P>

Joe Seahawk
01-04-2001, 08:29 PM
Rams not about to let Vermeil jump to Chiefs that easily
Jan. 4, 2001
By Len Pasquarelli
SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Although the deal remains alive, and a contract already has been agreed to, SportsLine.com has learned that the St. Louis Rams have thrown up a roadblock in the Kansas City Chiefs' pursuit of Dick Vermeil as their new head coach and his intention to accept the job.

For now at least, Rams officials have denied the Chiefs permission to hire Vermeil, who, despite his retirement after Super Bowl XXXIV last January, technically has one more year remaining on his contract with St. Louis. Sources confirmed Thursday that Vermeil has agreed in principle to a contract and is set to succeed Gunther Cunningham with the Chiefs, but that the matter might now be arbitrated by commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Although he has been retired for a year, Dick Vermeil is still under contract with the Rams.(AP)

At the very least, St. Louis is expected to seek draft choice compensation from Kansas City. But the team also paid Vermeil $2 million of the salary remaining on his contract and could ask for at least a partial rebate of that sum.

<BR>

morphius
01-04-2001, 08:39 PM
In the least this will definitely wake up that interstate rivalry again.

Morphius
Loves rivalries http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Pitt Gorilla
01-04-2001, 11:14 PM
morphius, I think that asswhoopin we dished added all the fuel that was needed. This is merely the icing on the cake.

------------------
GO PITT!

morphius
01-04-2001, 11:17 PM
Pitt - True, but this is like adding some salt to the wound. Escpecially if Vermeil takes us to the playoffs quickly.

Tribal Warfare
01-05-2001, 02:07 AM
[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 01-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 01-05-2001).]

gh4chiefs
01-05-2001, 07:00 AM
I have to tell you I'm kind of nervous about this whole deal. Assuming this Vermeil story is for real and the hold up is the compensation issue with the Rams, why not go ahead and announce that Gun has been fired?

It's almost as if Peterson is signaling that if he can't get Vermeil, he's going to stay with Gun. Are we rejoicing about the demise of the stooges too soon?

------------------
Gary

kcred
01-05-2001, 07:13 AM
GH4 - I woke up this morning thinking the same thing. What kind of credibility, with players or fans, would CP have then. It is hard for me to believe, that he would expect compensation for Schott, and not expect to give compensation for DV. I believe he might be trying to get something back for Guns and therefore is keeping him under wraps. To me, this whole damn thing stinks. I wish he would release Gunther, and if the compensation is too high, look elsewhere for a new HC.

mlyonsd
01-05-2001, 07:17 AM
The only reason I can see they wouldn't announce Gun's firing is the possibility that part of the compensation deal with the Rams would be him going there as DC. Kind of like a trade.

kcred
01-05-2001, 07:22 AM
What bothers me most, this is going to be another long day, followed by a long weekend, followed by who knows what. I guess there is ample time to wait for this to play out, but it is tough on those of us, wanting things to happen. But, I think we all knew this was going to be an interesting off season. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

MrBlond
01-05-2001, 07:22 AM
I wonder if Carl is not going to retain Gunther. Not as HC obviously, but as something like a consultant or scout. That way a team like Denver couldnt hire him as DC. That would explain why Carl has not fired him outright. If Gun refused this reassignment and quit and then took a job with another team we would be due compensation.

kcred
01-05-2001, 07:24 AM
I think you have a point there, as long as we don't cut his pay, then I believe we can reassign him. Carl does play hardball.

gh4chiefs
01-05-2001, 07:28 AM
MrBlond and mlyonsd both have plausible explanations and I suppose if something like that happens, probably most people will accept it. But if this turns out that somewhere down the road, we just out and out fire Gun, and replace him with DV or some other HC, it's really going to look bad on Peterson IMHO. I think kcred is right on the money with post #11.

------------------
Gary

gh4chiefs
01-05-2001, 07:32 AM
On the other hand, if Peterson can keep Gun from being the DC in Denver or another AFC rival, then I guess he'll look like a genius.

------------------
Gary