PDA

View Full Version : Greg Wesley is playing better

Mr. Laz
10-08-2006, 09:02 AM
he seems more aggressive this year ... more physical.

that interception was the best i think i've ever seen him make.

he only has 8 tackles ... but you gotta figure that he's had much,much fewer plays to get tackles than in previous years.

new coaching ... new attitude ... new scheme???

glad to seem him wake up :clap:

CupidStunt
10-08-2006, 09:04 AM
He's playing solid, as is Knight. Neither is a gamechanger and most Championship defenses in recent past have had one of those (Polamalu, Harrison, etc.) but I'm content with them playing at this level.

Hopefully Pollard and Page are able to develop for the stretch run or next year and take us to the next level.

Easy 6
10-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Your right he's really lookin' like the old Greg these days, i would bet he's hearing the footsteps of these young buck's. One thing he never did lose though was his knack for the pick. Pretty darn good hands for a safety.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 09:07 AM
That is because I never gave up on him.

milkman
10-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Your right he's really lookin' like the old Greg these days, i would bet he's hearing the footsteps of these young buck's. One thing he never did lose though was his knack for the pick. Pretty darn good hands for a safety.

I attribute his more solid play to coaching more than the "footsteps of these young bucks".

Peter Guinta sucked.
Not one single player improved in his time at secondary coach, and Wesley took steps back.

Mr. Laz
10-08-2006, 09:13 AM
He's playing solid, as is Knight. Neither is a gamechanger and most Championship defenses in recent past have had one of those (Polamalu, Harrison, etc.) but I'm content with them playing at this level.

Hopefully Pollard and Page are able to develop for the stretch run or next year and take us to the next level.
knight has been platooning with Page quite a bit

apparently knight's lack of speed it's ticking Ty Law off.

Easy 6
10-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I attribute his more solid play to coaching more than the "footsteps of these young bucks".

Peter Guinta sucked.
Not one single player improved in his time at secondary coach, and Wesley took steps back.
Your right, i forgot to mention that element. Theres no question the coaching dial was cranked up.

crispystl420
10-08-2006, 09:31 AM
knight has been platooning with Page quite a bit

apparently knight's lack of speed it's ticking Ty Law off.
No shit? I never heard that.

Mr. Laz
10-08-2006, 09:35 AM
No shit? I never heard that.
i've seen Law yelling on the sideline, more than once, after a passing play when Knight failed to get to his zone in time.

each time, shortly there after, Page was in the game for Knight.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 09:36 AM
i've seen Law yelling on the sideline, more than once, after a passing play when Knight failed to get to his zone in time.

This is the kind of thing that would NEVER have happened under Vermeil.

jspchief
10-08-2006, 09:39 AM
It's the scheme.

We have two very good CBs and two veteran safeties that can sit back in deep zone and read the QB. Teams aren't going to go at those guys as often because the weakness in the cover two is the LBs in coverage.

We've also only faced one real passing attack (Bengals), and they shut it down by halftime.

I'm going to wait for a larger sample before I declare Wesley as better, although I imagine another year at FS helps, and I think maybe the Cover 2 hides his weakness better.

crispystl420
10-08-2006, 09:40 AM

I'll have to pay attention thanks for the info.

CupidStunt
10-08-2006, 09:45 AM
We've also only faced one real passing attack (Bengals), and they shut it down by halftime.

Alex Smith was pretty solid before he saw our defense.

CupidStunt
10-08-2006, 09:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRw67nBnWgQ

Mr. Laz
10-08-2006, 09:46 AM
I'll have to pay attention thanks for the info.
seems to happen when the cornerback is supposed to drop to the deep outside 1/3 and the safety is supposed cover the middle and the flat.

teams have been having a receiver line up in the slot and then run a 5 yrd out ....... or a crossing pattern that take them clear across the field.

knight has been late at filling into the flat and the wide receiver has been catching the ball 10 yrds in front of law.

Ty doesn't like that at all LMAO

maybe because it looks like Law was beaten in coverage when it was really the safety on a late fill.

Mr. Laz
10-08-2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRw67nBnWgQ
exactly ....... nice post :clap:

rep!

btw- that vid cuts off right before Law starts waving his arms and stomping his feet as if to say "you are suppose to be here .. right here ..... now get there dammit!!" ROFL

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Alex Smith was pretty solid before he saw our defense.But, but, but - it was only the 40 whiners:rolleyes:

jspchief
10-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Alex Smith was pretty solid before he saw our defense.Maybe. But like I said, I need a bigger sample. Both from Wesley and Alex Smith before I declare either "good".

CupidStunt
10-08-2006, 10:06 AM
rep!

More! I NEED MORE!!

(Heh, seriously: I had one outrage in a thread and will probably never get back into green.)

the Talking Can
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Wesley has better players around him. When he is the "best" player on your D you have problems. When he is the 5th or 6th best player on your D you got something good. He can play a little reckless without having to worry if Dexter McCleon is going to get torched deep again.

Looks like he and Mitchel are having a who-hits-hardest contest. I like it.

Kyle401
10-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Wesley gave us a chance to win in regulation yesterday with a great breakup on the Boldin pass attempt on 3-13 when the Cards were building a little momentum.

1-10-ARI28(4:55) E.James left tackle to ARZ 31 for 3 yards (J.Reed).
2-7-ARI31(4:23) E.James up the middle to ARZ 38 for 7 yards (B.Pollard).
1-10-ARI38(3:39) M.Leinart pass deep left to Bry.Johnson pushed ob at KC 41 for 21 yards (T.Law).
1-10-KC41(3:31) E.James left end to KC 40 for 1 yard (J.Allen).
PENALTY on ARZ-L.Davis, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at KC 41 - No Play.
1-20-ARI49(3:25) M.Leinart pass short right to A.Boldin ran ob at KC 36 for 15 yards.
2-5-KC36(3:18) M.Leinart sacked at KC 44 for -8 yards (K.Bell).
3-13-KC44(2:40) (Shotgun) M.Leinart pass incomplete deep left to A.Boldin (G.Wesley).
4-13-KC44(2:36) S.Player punts 37 yards to KC 7, Center-N.Hodel. E.Kennison ran ob at KC 13 for 6 yards (A.Francisco).

I didn't get to see the first 3 quarters, but he was impressive on that play.

keg in kc
10-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Wesley has better players around him. When he is the "best" player on your D you have problems. When he is the 5th or 6th best player on your D you got something good. Kind of like Donnie Edward$.