PDA

View Full Version : Missed the Game: Question

Archie F. Swin
10-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Apparently we can protect Huard...why then can't we open up a hole for LJ?

How many more games can we win without establishing the run?

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Pass protection was average. Run-blocking was shitty as hell.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Because we can only protect Huard when we have extra blockers in and it's 7 on 4 instead of 5 on 4, and the guys who open your holes for runs are the O-line, and ours isn't very good right now. We can't run outside b/c of Black/Sampson, so all you have to do to stop our run is blitz up the middle and you are golden.

donkhater
10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Just a straight-after-the-game observation, but it seems to me LJ didn't pick holes very well. I thought his vision and concentration (also evidenced by the two fumbles) were off today. I don't think they were blowing holes open, but there seemed to be opportunities on the backside of many of the running plays.

On another note, that NBC highlight show sucks major a$$ and GO STEELERS!!

Rain Man
10-08-2006, 07:27 PM
I have no idea. Sampson and Black should be better at run-blocking than pass-blocking, but there are no holes at all. It's disheartening to watch.

I figure a big part of it is that other teams are playing the run so strongly. Since Huard is destroying teams via the pass, eventually they'll have to go to a more balanced defense. Hopefully LJ will be back to take advantage of it.

the Talking Can
10-08-2006, 07:30 PM
people are stacking the box...even with Huard's sucess the teams are selling out against the run....LJ get swarmed on almost every play....

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I think we just need to start out passing. We're not getting shit running, anyway, so we might as well try and loosen them up.

Short of that, come out in spread formations and run from them.

Lzen
10-08-2006, 07:31 PM
For one thing, teams haven't really respected Huard at all. They are stacking 8 and 9 guys in the box a lot of times. They play the run and the short passes. We need to have some success going downfield much more.

Lzen
10-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Very good observations TC and GC. Also, I like your suggestions for the offense, GC.

Archie F. Swin
10-08-2006, 09:30 PM
So, Once Teams start respecting Huard, LJ may not have so many people to run through?

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 09:35 PM
So, Once Teams start respecting Huard, LJ may not have so many people to run through?

I don't think they will ever respect Huard. He is going to have to light them up every week for us to win. Thankfully, he appears capable.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't think they will ever respect Huard. He is going to have to light them up every week for us to win. Thankfully, he appears capable.

Look, teams wont respect him because hes never going to be a Manning or a McNabb type of player who can carry a team on its back and make out of this world plays.

He is however a very servicable professional QB. As long as this team continues to play as a "TEAM" he will do fine.

Gaz
10-09-2006, 06:17 AM
We can protect Huard as long as he gets the ball away quickly.

Like all generalizations, there are exceptions. I saw some plays when our OTs guided the Enemy DE around Huard, giving him time to step up and throw. But for the most part, we are sticking with quick throws.

I read some folks criticizing the quick out to the WR. When The Enemy is stacking the line, it is a good move to throw the quick-hitter. If the WR can slip a tackle, we can make some good yardage. If not, we are still getting as much yardage as we would by ramming Johnson into the herd gathered around the LOS.

Until the OL gets settled [which could possibly be next season after we draft an OT in the first round], there will not be too many holes for Johnson. The best tactic is that instance is play action and the quick screen in the flat.

The situation might be better with Green under center, but even when he comes back, the Chiefs are going to be very careful with him. You probably need to resign yourself to the short game.

xoxo~
Gaz
Nostalgic for the “Best OL in the NFL.”

Skip Towne
10-09-2006, 06:24 AM
When we finally threw deep in the 3rd quarter, Lenny said "That's what they should have done in the 1st quarter".

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 07:13 AM
I think we just need to start out passing.

We did.

1st series
pass
pass
run
pass
run (LJ fumbled)

2nd series

run
pass
pass
pass
run (Kennison on reverse)
sack
punt

4 runs and 7 pass attempts.

KC Jones
10-09-2006, 07:17 AM
I will second what Gaz hath spoke. We're doing quick pass plays, screens, etc. for a reason and they are keeping us competitive.

Count Zarth
10-09-2006, 03:04 PM
We did.

1st series
pass
pass
run
pass
run (LJ fumbled)

2nd series

run
pass