PDA

View Full Version : Nice Touch of Class, King Carl

Bud Wiser
01-04-2001, 10:17 PM
Nice work Carl. Leave Gunther dangling while you try to hire Marty, Part 2. I don't like the job Gunther did any better than anyone else, but the guy has been with the Chiefs since 1995, and deserves better. Just fire him, and then do what you need to do. And Carl, what you should be trying to do is hire some young stud like Bob Stoops, and not an old burnout like Vermiel, whose record in St. Louis was below .500. Good luck, Gunther. I'm sure that wherever you land, no doubt as a defensive coordinator for the Broncos,that you'll enjoy kicking our *** next year.

The King of Beers
Trying to remember when the Chiefs had class.

Chiefnj
01-04-2001, 10:44 PM
At least Carl didn't leak the Vermeil story to the press on Christmas morning when Gun came to work. He was nice enough to wait until after the holidays.

Carl Peterson, a gentler and more compassionate GM.

Duck Dog
01-05-2001, 09:41 AM
A few days ago everyone was calling for Guns head. Now that Carl does something, you complain. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

Cannibal
01-05-2001, 09:47 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that we're not complaining that Gunther is being fired, but the way it's being handled. He's hanging Gunther out to dry. It should have been a clean break a couple of days after the Atlanta loss.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/cannibal1970/player7475.jpg

Damn man! I'm hungry... anybody got a doughnut up in this mutha fugga? I won't jump offsides if ya gimme one bidge!

Mile High Mania
01-05-2001, 09:55 AM
I concur with Cannibal. Gun has been disgraced by all the behind the scenes nonsense. It doesn't even really matter if Gun and Carl have talked about this behind the scense, b/c it makes Gun look very foolish in the national media to be treated this way.

Sakes alive ... I'm just glad that Bowlen isn't the one acting like this or you guys would be going nuts about how this just adds to his list of being an a**hole.

Again, Rhodes or Gunther ... doesn't really matter to me. I think Rhodes might be the better guy (slightly), but Gunther adds that divisional rivalry "back at ya" aspect.

Gaz
01-05-2001, 10:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> it makes Gun look very foolish in the national media to be treated this way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunther already made himself look foolish in the national media. If anything, he is at least getting some sympathy…

xoxo~
gaz
relentless.<BR>

Mile High Mania
01-05-2001, 10:04 AM
Gaz, I'm kinda shocked that you (of all people) are taking Carl's side. Gunther is getting screwed. Despite the fact that he is not ready to be an NFL HC, he was owed the right to go out differently.

Chiefnj
01-05-2001, 10:09 AM
Peterson has been acting like this his entire tenure with KC, it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Did Gunther deserve better, probably. But so did Anders, Cloud and all the assistants that Gun finger pointed at all year long.

58Forever
01-05-2001, 10:12 AM
Who leaked the story?...that's the question for the ages...I don't think Carl wanted this public until it was almost a done deal...and who knows...maybe he told Gun he was fired yesterday morning...At this point, maybe I've become hardened by Carls antics...I like Gun, and I think he deserved some respect, like being told he was fired before reading about it...but I for one am glad he and the stooges are gone...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-05-2001, 10:15 AM
I'm with Gaz on this one.

We have NO idea what has or hasn't happened. I doubt there's a single person on this board who can unequivicably say that they have any proof or that they can document Carl OR Gunther's conversations since Atlanta and can honestly say what Carl has or hasn't talked to Gunther at any time about this. What we're seeing here is nothing more than idle speculation about something NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT!

This gives the Carl-bashers an opportunity to run their usual attacks on him with this topic and try to make him look bad (like Carl cares).

Just because negotiations were leaked to the press is no reason for Carl, Gunther or anyone to make any comments on it. They OWE us nothing as far as us knowing what they have or haven't talked about. Managment decisions are not left up to personnel outside the organization, to include the media.

Basically, anyone can say or think what they wish. But nothing anyone says on this subject can be anything other than speculation (informed or otherwise).

------------------
Misplaced Chiefs Fan
Red and Gold on the Warpath
Nightwolf Graphics (http://www.nightwolfgraphics.com)

Gaz
01-05-2001, 10:22 AM
MHM-

I am not "taking Carl's side." I simply do not know what transpired between Carl and Gunther. I choose not to rise up in outrage when I am still ignorant of the facts. When all the facts are out, I will pick a side and start swinging.

IF Carl conducted all this Vermeil maneuvering without a single word to Gunther ["Hey, Gun, got a resume together, dude?"], then Carl is an inconsiderate bastard.

xoxo~
gaz
conserving his outrage for the nonce.<BR>

Gaz
01-05-2001, 10:25 AM
Or more succinctly:

What MCF said.

xoxo~
gaz
conserving bandwidth, too.<BR>

Baby Lee
01-05-2001, 10:27 AM
- Nevermind -

[This message has been edited by JC-Johnny (edited 01-05-2001).]

Bud Wiser
01-07-2001, 09:50 AM
Now wait a minute. First of all, why would anyone out there be supporting Carl Peterson in any of this fiasco. No, we may not have inside information as to what he did or did not tell Gun, but we DO know that Gun was just fired 2 days ago, and this Vermeil talk has been going for at least a week. I agree, Gun should have been sent packing after the Atlanta game. The King shouldn't have held on to Gun as insurance in case Dicky V turned him down. I do know that every time I see Carl Peterson on TV, I want to take a shower. He's just trying to buy time to make us forget that he is in year 17 of his "5 year plan".

The King of Beers
Where is Jack Steadman when you need him?

flowergirl
01-07-2001, 10:06 AM
I'm just glad Gunther is gone and am hopefully looking forward to a better season,I would asume Gunther had to have a clue that he was headed for the door...but who knows.I never did actually believe he would be the head coach we all desired him to be,I'm glad were moving on.

Bob Dole
01-07-2001, 10:54 AM
Bud--we don't <b>know</b> when Gun was relieved of duties...only when the organization made the relief public.

Bob Dole is taking the Gaz Approach on this one, and waiting for all the information. It appears that Gunther has been treated poorly, but there's not nearly enough information to know for certain.

Bob Dole <b>does</b>, however, <b>know</b> that Gunther sh#t on Kimble in the Atlanta game, and perhaps people really <b>do</b> reap what they sow...

Mi_chief_fan
01-07-2001, 10:59 AM
I agree w/Bob Dole & Gaz. Gunther was probably already aware. He's probably known since, maybe, the Buffalo game.

Bob Dole
01-07-2001, 11:08 AM
Some have cited Gunther's continued daily appearances at the office as evidence that he didn't know, but it's not like we lack ample evidence that Gunther frequently suffers from serious bouts of denial.

At the risk of sounding like the end always justifies the means--Bob Dole is glad that Gunther is out as head coach.