PDA

View Full Version : Probably not a popular thing to say but...

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-08-2006, 07:48 PM
WTF are we doing starting Huard at this point? Damon Huard is *NOT* the future of the Kansas City Chiefs football team!

Pure and Simple, Kansas City is *NOT* going to get to the playoffs with Damon Huard at starting quarterback - last 2 weeks not withstanding! Huard, good as he has played, destroyed a less than mediocre San Francisco team, barely squeaked out a win against a mediocre Arizona Cardinals team. All the while, the probable heir-apparent to Trent Green is sitting on the sidelines, his only opprotunity to play and learn came in the last couple of minutes of a blow-out, to hand off a couple of times then take a knee.

I'm of the honest opinion that as long as Trent is down, we should take advantage of the time to give Brodie some real experience, and get him ready to take over when Trent decides to hang them up (which could come at any time).

The simple fact is, the Chiefs have not tried to develop a young quarterback since 1983 - the Todd Blackledge debacle. Since then, it's been a procession of QB's late in their careers - Montana, DeBerg, Gannon, Bono, Grbac, and now Green. Do we really want to do that again? Or do we want to do something to give ourselves a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer type of guy?

Rain Man
10-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Damon Huard is the next Tom Brady. Don't doubt him.

htismaqe
10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Peyton Manning eeked out a 1-point win against Tennessee and Vince Young. The Colts are DOOMED!

'Hamas' Jenkins
Good god man, Huard has been our most consistent offensive player this season. This is just retarded. Croyle would also be ruined behind this line with his lack of bulk and inexperience.

DaFace
Because he's more ready than Croyle and we're not giving up on Trent coming back yet. Putting Croyle in is conceding that we won't make the playoffs this season. As you mentioned, Huard is playing reasonably well.

Putting Croyle in right now seems just silly to me.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
There is no way Croyle could play as well as Huard has played the last two weeks. None whatsoever.

JBucc
10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Huh? Seriously, WTF?

L.A. Chieffan
10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
ITS JEFF GEORGE TIME!!!!!

wtf do you want us to do?? Huard is 2-1 (should be 3-0, but thats a different story) and is showing a knack for making good plays and not making stupid mistakes. Croyle is fine with that clipboard

Skip Towne
10-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Since you only have 2 posts, you are not allowed to have an opinion.

dirk digler
10-08-2006, 07:54 PM

ROFL

mlyonsd
10-08-2006, 07:54 PM
So midway thru the first game of the season we should have thrown it all away?

STFU

FAX
10-08-2006, 07:55 PM

ROFL

FAX

Brock
10-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Sure, because 1/3rd of the way through the season is an appropriate time to give up on it.

Ultra Peanut
10-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Go away. We don't need your kind here.

trndobrd
10-08-2006, 07:56 PM
"WTF are we doing starting Huard at this point?"

Getting two wins, including a blowout at home and a tough road win on a day our all-pro runningback was held to 36 yards rushing, and only dropping one tough overtime loss on the road.

That's what we're doing.

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-08-2006, 07:59 PM

Oh Pardon me, considering I only *FOUND* this board a week ago, to not have the 15,000+ useless posts. However, I bet I've been following and cheering for KC for longer than many around here.

My point still stands. Do ANY of you expect Damon Huard to be the QB of the future for KC? I know I don't. After all, when Marino retired, he couldn't even beat out Jay Fielder for the wide-open starting job in Miami.

The logic is quite simple to me. Give Brodie some playing time, let him learn the NFL game. Sure, we end up with one bad season, which gives us high draft picks next year to bolster up the O-line, and get back to opening holes for LJ to run thru.

KCChiefsFan88
10-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Huard could have the highest QB rating rating in the NFL after this week.

FAX
10-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Oh Pardon me, considering I only *FOUND* this board a week ago, to not have the 15,000+ useless posts. However, I bet I've been following and cheering for KC for longer than many around here.

My point still stands. Do ANY of you expect Damon Huard to be the QB of the future for KC? I know I don't. After all, when Marino retired, he couldn't even beat out Jay Fielder for the wide-open starting job in Miami.

The logic is quite simple to me. Give Brodie some playing time, let him learn the NFL game. Sure, we end up with one bad season, which gives us high draft picks next year to bolster up the O-line, and get back to opening holes for LJ to run thru.

Your words are like iron, Mr. ChiefsFanInSeattle.

If you're considering starting Brodie, I don't think he's ready. Do you?

FAX

Rooster
That is crazy talk. Huard has played well IMO. I thought he threw the ball with accuracy today. He had little help from his receivers. I have been happy with his play thus far.

L.A. Chieffan
dude youre saying just throw the season away so we can 'develop' a young QB. if we were 0-4 or 0-5 you might have a point but right now you just sound like.....a raider fan

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Division will be tied tomorrow night.

milkman
10-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Some of us, Skip included, have been following this team since they planted roots in KC since '63.

Mr. Laz
10-08-2006, 08:04 PM
So midway thru the first game of the season we should have thrown it all away?

STFU
i don't think putting Croyle in would mean we "threw it all away"

Rain Man
10-08-2006, 08:05 PM

I should note that Skip has far more than 15,000 useless posts.

Oh, and I will never give up on a season. If we're 1-14, I still want to win that last game.

milkman
10-08-2006, 08:06 PM
And the fact is, even if there were absolutely no hope that this team makes the playoffs (I think there is a slim chance), I wouldn't want Croyle in there.

He isn't ready.

He needs to sit back and learn this season, at the least.

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Your words are like iron, Mr. ChiefsFanInSeattle.

If you're considering starting Brodie, I don't think he's ready. Do you?

FAX

I don't think Brodie is Matt Leinert, or Vince Young, or even Jay Cutler (who should probably be starting for the Doncs). And you're right, he's probably not totally ready. But, he needs some experience, the kind of experience he isn't going to get in mop-up duty during rare blowouts, handing off the ball to LJ and taking a knee to run out the clock.

Damon Huard is OK in a caretaker role - I like what the guy has done, don't get me wrong. I'm thinking about the future here, and loosing a few games now is a small price to pay for preparing for the future without Trent. And, lets face it, Trent is in the last legs of his own career - someday he's going to retire. Do we want to be in a situation like we're already in this year, with Roaf retiring without an able person to take his place?

Cochise
10-08-2006, 08:09 PM
73 / 104 70.25% 769yd, 5 TD, 0 INT, 107.4 Rating

The only reason to even think about Croyle is if you think the season is sunk at 2-2.

JBucc
10-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I want to see Croyle play late in some blowout kind of a game that's already been decided, but if it's still in question and Trent is unavailable I can't think of anyone on the Chiefs roster I'd rather have in there than Damon Huard. Clearly some of Marino rubbed off on him.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Over 7 yards per attempt. But yeah, Huard can't throw downfield.

cdcox
10-08-2006, 08:11 PM
The reason you don't ditch the season to develop Croyle is that under the best case senario, tnere is a 1 in 3 chance Croyle develops into a long tem reliable starter. It makes absolutely no sense to play him now.

milkman
10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Over 7 yards per attempt. But yeah, Huard can't throw downfield.

stfu you dumb bitch.

Iowanian
10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
You're going to have to have thick skin to stick. Welcome.

Now....

What are they doing? Trying to save a chance of doing something this season for Green to work with when he gets back...and he will be before long.

If Green had a terrible injury that put him on IR.....your arguement would have alot more merrit. At this point, Huard has been in the system longer, had some starting experience when Marino was down.....and the coaches feel like he's the best chance to win.

I'm not a huge Huard fan, and think his numbers are inflated from alot of short, safe passes....but he's taken this team to a 2-1 record in Green's absense.

The next 3 weeks are going to be alot tougher, and I"m hoping Green is under center for at least 2 of those if the Chiefs are going to be playing after week 17.

JohnnyV13
10-08-2006, 08:14 PM

Now now. How can we bag on him for being quiet, when he has moronic opinions like these? I mean, if I knew I had an IQ smaller than my shoe size, I'd be pretty quiet too.

FAX
10-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't think Brodie is Matt Leinert, or Vince Young, or even Jay Cutler (who should probably be starting for the Doncs). And you're right, he's probably not totally ready. But, he needs some experience, the kind of experience he isn't going to get in mop-up duty during rare blowouts, handing off the ball to LJ and taking a knee to run out the clock.

Damon Huard is OK in a caretaker role - I like what the guy has done, don't get me wrong. I'm thinking about the future here, and loosing a few games now is a small price to pay for preparing for the future without Trent. And, lets face it, Trent is in the last legs of his own career - someday he's going to retire. Do we want to be in a situation like we're already in this year, with Roaf retiring without an able person to take his place?

I completely understand, Mr. ChiefsFanInSeattle. Your point is well made.

Please consider this, however. If Brodie is our future, he might benefit from a year on the sidelines simply learning. Plus, our trainers can help him with his strength and bulk, both of which he needs. Meanwhile, our oline is in a bad state which means that he will likely take a pounding contributing nothing to his confidence nor his physical condition.

My suggestion is to allow him to grow into the position in a more patient manner rather than putting him in too early.

Have you thought about it that way?

FAX

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 08:16 PM
his numbers are inflated from alot of short, safe passes...

He's in the top 10 in yards per attempt.

Which is amazing considering the Denver game and the three quick sideline passes that Solari idiotically called today.

milkman
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
He's in the top 10 in yards per attempt.

He's completing a high percentage of short safe passes, and he's also had a couple of short passes that were turned into big plays by LJ.

That YPA is an inflated number because of that.

Get Damon's manjuice out of your face, and you might be able to see that.

Simply Red
10-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Division will be tied tomorrow night.

Hmm. You sound so sure...

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-08-2006, 08:21 PM
I completely understand, Mr. ChiefsFanInSeattle. Your point is well made.

Please consider this, however. If Brodie is our future, he might benefit from a year on the sidelines simply learning. Plus, our trainers can help him with his strength and bulk, both of which he needs. Meanwhile, our oline is in a bad state which means that he will likely take a pounding contributing nothing to his confidence nor his physical condition.

My suggestion is to allow him to grow into the position in a more patient manner rather than putting him in too early.

Have you thought about it that way?

FAX

Believe it or not, I have :) I see the opinions both ways. I don't want to see what happened to Blackledge happen to him as well (get thrown to the fire right away). However, take last week. That game was decided before the fourth quarter even began, but KC never even put Brodie into the game until less than 2 minutes to go - and even at that, it was only to hand the ball off to LJ a couple of times and take a knee to end the game. I sincerely believe that Brodie should have played the entire 4th quarter of last week, and any other time the game is decided by that time. I'd like to see him getting some starts, but I know that's unrealistic until later in the season, if we're completely out of the playoff race.

As far as Trent coming back, we're at LEAST 2 weeks away from that , unless he's been practicing and I haven't heard it yet. I admit all I have is the news bulletins from the KC Star to go on, but last I heard he hasn't yet been cleared to practice - and he's most likely going to need 2 weeks of practice before reuturning to the field - so at this point, probably the earliest we can expect him is the Seattle game in 3 weeks - I'd LOVE that, so I could watch him play.

trndobrd
10-08-2006, 08:23 PM

Sorry that you think the Chief's season is over after a 2-2 start.

Shattering Croyle's confidence, not to mention his knees and shoulders because of a weak O line and lack of experience is a stupid way to develop a QBOTF. Throwing away games now in an effort to ruin a QB prospect is counter productive.

But, just for fun, let's say the coaching staff listened to you. Croyle went in and goes 1-3 (assuming Trent won't be back for Pittsburg) which I think is a probable outcome. At 1-4 and completely out of the playoff picture, what do you do? Put Trent back in? Play Croyle to prepare him for next year? If you don't play Trent for the rest of this season there is no reason he wouldn't be ready to play next year. What do you do with Croyle, put him back on the bench next year? Negates the need for experience right now, doesn't it. Pulling Croyle and putting Trent back in seems kind of silly since we would be 1-4 and had already conceded the season.

Oh...what if Croyle goes in and we sacrifice 3 games to get him some experience, and he turns out to be a bust. Just never gets it. Threw away this season and still no closer to finding the QBOTF.

Skip Towne
10-08-2006, 08:24 PM
He's completing a high percentage of short safe passes, and he's also had a couple of short passes that were turned into big plays by LJ.

That YPA is an inflated number because of that.

Get Damon's manjuice out of your face, and you might be able to see that.
Gannon worked those short, safe passes all the way to the SB. It can be done.

Iowanian
Gochiefs....How many passes 15 yards or greater downfield, has Huard completed?

A couple of YAC have seriously inflated his numbers.

Huard is doing a better job of not fumbling the ball, his pocket presence has improved somewhat, isn't throwing picks, but he's still having alot of balls slapped back in his face, making the WRs catch dangerous passes, and has no deep ball to get the 8-9th man out of the box.

Simply Red
B-B,But Croyle, he weighs like 170 right?

Iowanian
10-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't see Croyle as ever being a long term answer at QB. I hope he's a great backup and if he turns out to be something better....great.

PastorMikH
10-08-2006, 08:26 PM
1. Huard gives us the best chance of winning right now. Croyle may after he plays a bit, but right now Huard gives us the best chance of winning.

2. Putting Croyle out there right now would be trial by fire. If it works, we will have a stud, but many times it does more harm than good to the QB.

3. With this O-line allowing the QB to take hits like they are, do you really want to take a chance on putting Croyle in with his history of injuries? Our "QBotF" as some say, could have his career ended right now. He needs time to bulk up to help him avoid some of those injuries.

4. Right now Huard's 2-1. He's given us no reason to pull him.

I couldn't believe the Chiefs were stupid enough to keep Huard around. Now I am glad they did. I would definately take him over Todd Collins anyday. Shoot, if Huard keeps playing the way he's played so far until Green comes back, he might find himself in a starting job somewhere else next season.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Provided Trent is ok, it would be balla if we could trade Huard to a team looking for a starting QB iw/ experience in the Coryell O in the offseason.

Maybe Dan Snyder would give up 1 first and 5 3rds for him :shrug:

FAX
10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Believe it or not, I have :) I see the opinions both ways. I don't want to see what happened to Blackledge happen to him as well (get thrown to the fire right away). However, take last week. That game was decided before the fourth quarter even began, but KC never even put Brodie into the game until less than 2 minutes to go - and even at that, it was only to hand the ball off to LJ a couple of times and take a knee to end the game. I sincerely believe that Brodie should have played the entire 4th quarter of last week, and any other time the game is decided by that time. I'd like to see him getting some starts, but I know that's unrealistic until later in the season, if we're completely out of the playoff race.

As far as Trent coming back, we're at LEAST 2 weeks away from that , unless he's been practicing and I haven't heard it yet. I admit all I have is the news bulletins from the KC Star to go on, but last I heard he hasn't yet been cleared to practice - and he's most likely going to need 2 weeks of practice before reuturning to the field - so at this point, probably the earliest we can expect him is the Seattle game in 3 weeks - I'd LOVE that, so I could watch him play.

It sounds like we basically agree, Mr. ChiefsFanInSeattle. It's just a matter of degree.

PT for Brodie in garbage time would be a good idea. Too much too soon and we might be taking an unnecessary risk with him. I honestly believe he has great potential - I am in SEC territory and watched him quite a bit. But, I don't think he's ready for the NFL and I don't think he will be unless or until he puts on a few more pounds and builds up his strength. He also needs to become acquainted with the NFL level of play. The complexity and speed of the game are a far cry from what he is accustomed to.

Let's see what happens. Meanwhile, welcome aboard. Stay away from that mean Mr. Rain Man and you'll be okay here. He's very hard on N00bs (sp?).

FAX

milkman
10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Gannon worked those short, safe passes all the way to the SB. It can be done.

I've described Huard's performance as Gannonesque a number of times.

But GoChiefs' mancrush on him is starting to resemble Denise's on Gannon.

PastorMikH
10-08-2006, 08:34 PM

I think Huard has done a solid job so far, but you are right there.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Gochiefs....How many passes 15 yards or greater downfield, has Huard completed?

A couple of YAC have seriously inflated his numbers.

We were near the top of the league in YAC with Trent under center. He completed dozens of screen passes that went for big yardage.

The passing game is not leashed with Huard whatsoever.

milkman
10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
We were near the top of the league in YAC with Trent under center. He completed dozens of screen passes that went for big yardage.

The passing game is not leashed with Huard whatsoever.

OK GoFeisty.
We believe you. :rolleyes:

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
I couldn't believe the Chiefs were stupid enough to keep Huard around. Now I am glad they did. I would definately take him over Todd Collins anyday. Shoot, if Huard keeps playing the way he's played so far until Green comes back, he might find himself in a starting job somewhere else next season.

Maybe you should listen to me more often. :D

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-08-2006, 08:39 PM
I've described Huard's performance as Gannonesque a number of times.

You think GC has it bad, you ought to see what I have to deal with up here! Both the Huard's are like God's up here in UW-land, along with Moon, Brunell, and Tui-whatshisname.

I hope Damon can keep us in the hunt, but with the next 3 games, I'm afraid we're going to be 2-5 going into November, and that's NOT a good place to be.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Seriously. If I had told you guys before the season that Huard would complete 70 percent of his first 100 passes for over 7 yards per attempt with no interceptions, you would have laughed in my face and called me a complete moron. Now the truth has come to bear and you are unwilling to accept it.

Adept Havelock
10-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Brilliant notion there, ChiefsFanInSeattle. Let's take the first legitimate QBOTF this team has seen in many years and throw him out behind a weak O-Line when he's had only a few months to learn a rather complex offense.

If you have any more insights as stunning as this one, before sharing them with us please remember you have already proven yourself several sandwiches short of a picnic.

milkman
10-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Seriously. If I had told you guys before the season that Huard would complete 70 percent of his first 100 passes for over 7 yards per attempt with no interceptions, you would have laughed in my face and called me a complete moron. Now the truth has come to bear and you are unwilling to accept it.

We've accepted the fact that he has played far better than most of us expected, and admitted that we didn't expect it.

But he isn't Trent Green.

You are making his play out to be more than it is.

He's managed the game, but he isn't a starter that can lead this team into the playoffs, and to think he's anything more than a game manager is stupidity at the highest level, GoFeisty.

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Brilliant notion there, ChiefsFanInSeattle. Let's take the first legitimate QBOTF this team has seen in many years and throw him out behind a weak O-Line when he's had only a few months to learn a rather complex offense.

If you have any more insights as stunning as this one, before sharing them with us please remember you have already proven yourself several sandwiches short of a picnic.

Ohhh, gotta love internet bullies! Just so you know, I'm definately not someone who's afraid of stating my opinion - so I won't be chased off by the likes of you making random comments about my intelligence.

The point is still valid - how can he become ready if he doesn't get some real game time - and I'm not talking about taking a knee to end the game - he was never even given a pass play in his limited playing time last week!

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 08:55 PM
We've accepted the fact that he has played far better than most of us expected, and admitted that we didn't expect it.

But he isn't Trent Green.

You are making his play out to be more than it is.

He's managed the game, but he isn't a starter that can lead this team into the playoffs, and to think he's anything more than a game manager is stupidity at the highest level, GoFeisty.

"Game managers" can't throw that TD pass that he completed to Parker.

"Game managers" aren't allowed to throw it downfield on third-and-10 from their own 20.

"Game managers" have no hope of winning a game when the running game sputters into absolute oblivion.

milkman
10-08-2006, 09:13 PM

"Game managers" aren't allowed to throw it downfield on third-and-10 from their own 20.

"Game managers" have no hope of winning a game when the running game sputters into absolute oblivion.

Bullshit.

Game managers are asked to exploit the the opposition's gameplan.
In this case, the game plan is to stop LJ, which gives the game manager QB oppportunities to make plays in the passing game.

The difference between Green and Huard is that Green can make plays in the passing game when the defensive focus isn't solely on the running game.

PastorMikH
10-08-2006, 09:14 PM
The point is still valid - how can he become ready if he doesn't get some real game time - and I'm not talking about taking a knee to end the game - he was never even given a pass play in his limited playing time last week!

I guess I'll have to answer this again. I'll type slow so you can read it slowly and try to explain it a little more simply.

First off, Croyle has had trouble in his college care with injuries. He's 6-2 and roughly 200 pounds. If he could add even 10-15 pounds of bulk in the weight room, it would help him to avoid injuries.

Secondly, with Croyle's history of injuries, and our Offensive Lines innability to protect the QB, its only a matter of time before Croyle is hurt. Our O-Line has already had one QB hurt because they couldn't protect him long enough to get the ball to his recievers - and some speculate that Green may not be back because of it. Do you really want to put a guy that could turn into a QBotF in there and depend upon Jordan Black to protect him? If I have a choice, I don't.

Add in this playbook is huge. When Al Saunders went to the Redskins, Brunnell - a seasoned pro-bowl caliber QB spent the ENTIRE offseason trying to learn the playbook. Do you really think a Rookie that hasn't even played as NFL game speed yet could take the same playbook, read the D, make the correct call and maintain composure at the same time? I don't.

Now, calling for Croyle to get time to learn indicates you are ready to throw in the towel on the season. I'm not. Pittsburg is still in the game tonight (barely, but they are still in it) and there is a decent chance Denver will lose tomorrow to Baltimore. IF both Denver and SD lose, we are in a 3-way tie in the AFC west. Even if they don't we are just 1 game behind both. We're still in this dance and I'm not willing to give up just yet.

As for Huard, what has he done to justify getting benched? He's actually played some decent ball for us and right now he gives us the best chance to win the next game. Shoot, he's come off the bench after not playing for 7 years and won 2 of the three games he started. Winning 2 for every loss will get you to the playoffs most years.

underEJ
10-08-2006, 09:16 PM

Huard can execute about anything you work on with him during the week, i.e. the Parker pass, a replay of the Dante pass a week before which was practiced over and over, but he will never make that play on instinct. That's what makes a starter vs. a backup. He is imminently suitable to fill in with Trent on the sidelines and in his ear.

Croyle is the future. He is perfect to take over from Trent after a little learning period on the sidelines. I was disappointed he didn't get a chance to pass in the 49er game, but LJ wanted his 100 and I can understand that.

He is a far better QB than his pick indicates, but the injury that dropped him is a typical one people reaggrivate the following year so I'm cool with holding him out til games are decided. So far I think the staff is doing just about the right thing and the season is definitely not over.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Huard can execute about anything you work on with him during the week, i.e. the Parker pass, a replay of the Dante pass a week before which was practiced over and over, but he will never make that play on instinct. That's what makes a starter vs. a backup. He is imminently suitable to fill in with Trent on the sidelines and in his ear.

Huard has scrambled and made plays. A perfect example was the play on the left sideline to Rod Gardner.

I still think you folks are selling him short. He's played better to start this year than Trent has in his entire Chiefs career.

underEJ
10-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Huard has scrambled and made plays. A perfect example was the play on the left sideline to Rod Gardner.

I still think you folks are selling him short. He's played better to start this year than Trent has in his entire Chiefs career.

Wow, I thought I was being pretty nice there, gushing almost. Selling him short? For you to actually be right, the entire NFL must be under a spell or something not to notice his superiority. He's a really good back up, and that's all. There's nothing wrong with that.

Getting a shot at beating on the 49ers when they were playing badly and bickering on the sidelines hardly compares to seasons of solid play from Green.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Getting a shot at beating on the 49ers when they were playing badly and bickering on the sidelines hardly compares to seasons of solid play from Green.

Huard has started this season by completing 70 percent of his passes with 5 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Green has never started a season that well as a Chief. It's a fact.

This play is why I think Huard is more than a "game manager." He's completely out of his comfort zone here. The rhythm of the play is completely disrupted, and he is forced to scramble and reload. He delivers an accurate pass with a defender in his face for a first down.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6707/gardner13ydcatchuz6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Now, calling for Croyle to get time to learn indicates you are ready to throw in the towel on the season. I'm not. Pittsburg is still in the game tonight (barely, but they are still in it) and there is a decent chance Denver will lose tomorrow to Baltimore. IF both Denver and SD lose, we are in a 3-way tie in the AFC west. Even if they don't we are just 1 game behind both. We're still in this dance and I'm not willing to give up just yet.

As for Huard, what has he done to justify getting benched? He's actually played some decent ball for us and right now he gives us the best chance to win the next game. Shoot, he's come off the bench after not playing for 7 years and won 2 of the three games he started. Winning 2 for every loss will get you to the playoffs most years.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel by any means - but last week was an IDEAL situation to give Croyle some good playing time - and the Chiefs coaching staff left him to sit on the bench until almost the very end of the game, when the only thing left to do was take a knee. ANYONE could come in, play quarterback, and drop to a knee to end the game. *IF* he's the quarterback of the future, you gotta give him the playing time to learn. That's all I'm saying.

I have a sneaking suspicion that at least one of the next 3 ball games is going to be a blowout loss for us. I sincerely hope the coaching staff gives him some real playing time!

underEJ
10-08-2006, 09:43 PM
This play is why I think Huard is more than a "game manager."

He didn't create a play, he broke a tackle and threw the pass he was supposed to throw before the pressure. Good work breaking the tackle, but nothing special. He did his job.

milkman
10-08-2006, 09:44 PM

So, GoFeisty, when Trent is healthy and ready to go, will you be disappointed when you're slurpyboy is relegated back to the bench?

PastorMikH
10-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm not ready to throw in the towel by any means - but last week was an IDEAL situation to give Croyle some good playing time - and the Chiefs coaching staff left him to sit on the bench until almost the very end of the game, when the only thing left to do was take a knee.

And it was also a great time to let Huard and the O get some much needed time together to get used to each other, build on some success and get some chemistry.

If Green were the starter, I'd have no problem with your stance, but Huard and the rest of the O needed the game time together. Notice that when we got the lead instead of running the ball and running out the clock, they opened things up more to see how Huard and the O could handle it?

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 09:46 PM
No, because I think Green will free up LJ. But given what I've seen over the last two games, I don't think there is a huge difference between Green and Huard in terms of talent or playmaking ability. Huard has exceeded my expectations. I am very impressed.

milkman
10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Huard has started this season by completing 70 percent of his passes with 5 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

This play is why I think Huard is more than a "game manager." He's completely out of his comfort zone here. The rhythm of the play is completely disrupted, and he is forced to scramble and reload. He delivers an accurate pass with a defender in his face for a first down.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6707/gardner13ydcatchuz6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

It's a 12-15 yard pass, and he was watching Gardner from the snap.

Count Zarth
10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
It's a 12-15 yard pass, and he was watching Gardner from the snap.

How many times have we seen Green chunk the rock at a receiver's feet or over his head on the same kind of play?

PastorMikH
10-08-2006, 09:49 PM
No, because I think Green will free up LJ. But given what I've seen over the last two games, I don't think there is a huge difference between Green and Huard in terms of talent or playmaking ability.

I think Huard is quicker than Green on making reads (though it seems like Huard has 2 recievers to check off where Green has 4-5) and releasing the ball. Green brings far more experience and leadership than Huard can and I think Green is more accurate - especially downfield.

underEJ
10-08-2006, 09:49 PM
No, because I think Green will free up LJ. But given what I've seen over the last two games, I don't think there is a huge difference between Green and Huard in terms of talent or playmaking ability. Huard has exceeded my expectations. I am very impressed.

Oh I get it this is a joke on the new poster. Cool funny. Back to reality now.

You really had me going until now.

Ha! Ha!

picasso
10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey I'm in Seattle to ChiefsFanInSeattle but I don't support your claim that we should be playing Croyle right now. If he would have played better in preseason or at least been a part of it instead of pampering pains I would expect him to be in there instead of Huard. But you can't neglect that Huard played well today or last week.

boogblaster
10-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Huard is as good back-up as you can get..hell they probably arent even paying him sh*t..Hes more than done his job....

milkman
10-08-2006, 10:02 PM
How many times have we seen Green chunk the rock at a receiver's feet or over his head on the same kind of play?

And how many times have we seen Green make plays under pressure.

You have a small sample of Huard, and suddenly he's better under pressure.

ChiefaRoo
10-08-2006, 10:23 PM

So you now have 9 useless posts and stupid thread on your resume. Congrats

ChiefaRoo
10-08-2006, 10:26 PM

Dude, don't get delusional. Huard has a high % of completions because he's throwing 2 yard passes. Trent doesn't have a big arm but he is a MUCH better downfield threat to Tony G. in the seam and Sammie and Eddie on the skinny post which opens up the running game for LJ. Plus he's the O's leader. Huard is playing better than expected but Trent's is hands down better.

Gaz
10-09-2006, 05:49 AM
The only reason to bring in Croyle is if the season is effectively over. If you believe that Green ainít coming back and we are headed for a top ten draft pick.

If you believe that we are still a viable playoff team, then you go with Huard.

Huard has done a great job so far. I would rather have Green at QB, but Huard has performed very well, far exceeding my expectations.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not ready for Croyle quite yet.

TRR
10-09-2006, 08:23 AM
I don't know what you want out of Huard. There isn't a QB in the league playing any better than Huard right now. He is hitting almost every throw, and is leading the offense. Anytime you can go on the road, and win with your backup QB, that is saying something.

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 08:26 AM
I don't know what you want out of Huard. There isn't a QB in the league playing any better than Huard right now. He is hitting almost every throw, and is leading the offense. Anytime you can go on the road, and win with your backup QB, that is saying something.

But he's not throwing 80 yard TD bombs.

WE WANT 80 YARD TD BOMBS!!!!!:cuss::cuss:

:)

Chief Chief
10-09-2006, 08:35 AM
The ONLY problem I have with Huard is that he's not throwing enough to Tony G.

vailpass
10-09-2006, 08:41 AM

This is moronic even for a guy who didn't follow football until two or three years ago and whose only knowledge of the game comes from reading about it.

Skip Towne
10-09-2006, 09:01 AM
This is moronic even for a guy who didn't follow football until two or three years ago and whose only knowledge of the game comes from reading about it.
Exactly.

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 09:38 AM
So GoChiefs. If you had the choice, would you prefer Green (healthy) to start or Huard to start?

Iowanian
10-09-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't want a backup qb lobbing bombs down the field like Al Davis is calling the plays......but when the opposing D is stacking 8 and sometimes 9 in the box, working on our depleted Oline and stuffing the run, I'd like a qb who can pull off a PA pass downfield, or at least has the threat to throw it 30-40 yards downfield.....to keep them honest.

There is a reason the Ds aren't respecting his numbers and are stacking the box and run blitzing at will.

Huard has done better than I expected, but he's not in the same category as Trent Green on any level. There is a reason he was available as a FA....and why he played 3rd string behind Todd Collins.

But he's not throwing 80 yard TD bombs.

WE WANT 80 YARD TD BOMBS!!!!!:cuss::cuss:

:)

Wile_E_Coyote
10-09-2006, 09:47 AM
it's kinda strange. I thought he was throwing high last week, but the recievers grabbed them fine. This week he hit them in the hands & they dropped some they shouldn't have :shrug: Any way he looks to be improving week to week

Handel
10-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi, I have Huard in my fantasy team. Do you expect him to play next week?

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't want a backup qb lobbing bombs down the field like Al Davis is calling the plays......

I think there are a couple of reasons why that isn't happening. First, the coaching staff is still taking the safe approach with him while they learn what he can do in game situations. Second, our O-Line can't protect him long enough for the WRs to get downfield. Third, our WRs aren't getting much separation downfield and since we aren't running as many 3 WR sets due to the fact we have to use TEs to help with pass protection (another reason why I think Tony isn't getting the catches right now) we don't have the 3rd WR creating single coverage/mismatches downfield.

Once Trent gets back, if everything else remains the same, I think I'd prefer him to throw similar passes that Huard is.

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 09:52 AM
it's kinda strange. I thought he was throwing high last week, but the recievers grabbed them fine. This week he hit them in the hands & they dropped some they shouldn't have :shrug: Any way he looks to be improving week to week

Our WRs are looking like they need to practice catching passes. I wonder if we could hire Brett Favre next season and give him the job of throwing at our WRs in practice. If they don't catch the ball, they get broken ribs.

FAX
10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Our WRs are looking like they need to practice catching passes ...

ROFL

FAX

L.A. Chieffan
10-09-2006, 09:59 AM

Thats the thing, especially with parker that drives me batshit. They make the crazy tough catches but drop the easy ones.
Maybe Huard should intentionally make the pass a little off...

burt
10-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Ohhh, gotta love internet bullies! Just so you know, I'm definately not someone who's afraid of stating my opinion - so I won't be chased off by the likes of you making random comments about my intelligence.

Now that is funny shit. Adept Haelock...an internet bully!! ROFL ROFL

Dude, you have no idea what an internet bully is nor any idea of how to groom a QB!!!

burt
10-09-2006, 10:34 AM

as usual....your and idiot. You keep comparing Huard and Green and believing there is merit to your comparison...or even putting Huard ahead of Green. Not even close. No comparison. Huard is a great back up. Green is a top 10 starter. STFU.

redbrian
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=ChiefsFanInSeattle]Oh Pardon me, considering I only *FOUND* this board a week ago, to not have the 15,000+ useless posts. QUOTE]

ROFL
Ok his idea about bringing in the rook is half-baked but it only took him 9 posts to figure out that skippy has over 15,000 useless posts (I'd put it much higher).

As far as brining in the rook, only if Green is out for the season, right now I'm looking for a repeat of 69.

NewChief
10-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Our receivers played probably their best game ever against the 49ers. I think they felt they had to step it up in order to make up for Huard's "shortcomings." This week they saw that Huard was good, so they went back to their normal selves. Just a theory.

JohnnyV13
10-10-2006, 12:32 AM
The ONLY problem I have with Huard is that he's not throwing enough to Tony G.

I think its more about Tony G. being kept in to help the tackles than it is about Huard.

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-10-2006, 01:03 AM
OK, after a few chastising posts, and a couple of very good arguments, I'll agree that starting Croyle right now is not a good idea. However, I really do believe that we need to get Croyle some playing time. Lets face it, Trent Green is 36 years old, and quickly approaching the end of his career. Huard is 33, and definately not a long-term answer either. Croyle is a relative unknown at this point, as he didn't get to play much in pre-season. I think it's important that we find out what he can do now, rather than wait until Green retires and be caught with our pants down, so to speak. The SF game would have been an ideal situation to get him in for some real game time, but that didn't happen - I'm hopeful we will get to see him a little more as the season wears on.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 01:19 AM
We'll bring in a veteran to backup Croyle anyway.

Smed1065
10-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Idiot again, I see!
I hate to say skip was right but I was wrong.........

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm going to eat all of your food.

Gravedigger
10-10-2006, 02:01 AM
Huard had a career game last week and this week he didn't throw one single interception or fumble the ball outside of the handoff to LJ. Let it go man Huard is being an amazing backup in Trent Green's absence.

ChiefsFanInSeattle
10-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Idiot again, I see!
I hate to say skip was right but I was wrong.........

God, WTF do you want???!!!

I openly admitted to being wrong in my initial post, after being convinced by some of the more polite people on the board, and you pop off with this shit???!!!

Eat shit and die

FAX
10-10-2006, 07:31 AM

I openly admitted to being wrong in my initial post, after being convinced by some of the more polite people on the board, and you pop off with this shit???!!!

Eat shit and die

Don't pay any attention to the angry N00bs (sp?), Mr. ChiefsFanInSeattle. There are quite a few of them these days. I'm trying to organize some form of witch hunt to decrease their population.

Glad to see that you're coming around to my point of view, though. I think that's the first time anyone's ever done that.

FAX

burt
10-10-2006, 08:04 AM

Eat shit and die

I believe his comment was directed at mamasboy(GoChiefs). Don't get cher panties in a wad, n00b. And I agree that we should MAYBE have put Croyle in at SF, but I also believe game time experience is good to get our offense clicking together. Huard really needs snaps still. And with more snaps, he will be an unbelievable.....BACKUP QB!!!

ChiefaRoo
10-10-2006, 08:32 AM
I think there are a couple of reasons why that isn't happening. First, the coaching staff is still taking the safe approach with him while they learn what he can do in game situations. Second, our O-Line can't protect him long enough for the WRs to get downfield. Third, our WRs aren't getting much separation downfield and since we aren't running as many 3 WR sets due to the fact we have to use TEs to help with pass protection (another reason why I think Tony isn't getting the catches right now) we don't have the 3rd WR creating single coverage/mismatches downfield.

Once Trent gets back, if everything else remains the same, I think I'd prefer him to throw similar passes that Huard is.

Good Post. I think KC needs to make some changes against the Steelers with Huard. If he keeps throwing slants or short outs there going to jump the route and return one for a pick six. We need more down field passing to (not bombs) but definately middle of the field stuff

Lzen
10-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Bumpity bump.